Sign in to follow this  
SquirrelArmy

New Stability Check in Studio 2.0

There's just been an update for the new Studio 2.0 Beta. As well as adding tools and dedicated parts library for the  Bricklink AFOL program there is a new tool which will definitely aid creators. 

The stability checker will analyse your MOC and flag up where there will be any potential issues in terms of stability & clutch power. I've just run the tool on a section of my trench run and compared it to the real thing and I have to agree with the software. The areas where it's highlighted a potential issue are definitely areas where I'm thinking of adding more support and have now redesigned those sections.

Wvh9xrG.jpg

Not knowing how strong a MOC will be is one of the biggest downsides of working digitally instead of physically. It looks like this is a good step in the right direction.

I tried it and find it lacks explanations.

What’s the difference between a warning and a caution?  (E.g. on your model, why are some panels on the top warnings and others cautions, they don’t seem to be attached much differently.)

Are we supposed to correct them all?  (E.g. on your model, the 75° slopes at the base, they seem well connected both below and above, what else could be done for them?)

4 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

I tried it and find it lacks explanations.

What’s the difference between a warning and a caution?  (E.g. on your model, why are some panels on the top warnings and others cautions, they don’t seem to be attached much differently.)

Are we supposed to correct them all?  (E.g. on your model, the 75° slopes at the base, they seem well connected both below and above, what else could be done for them?)

You're right about explanations being needed. From what I can make out and from experience on the actual model, the dark red warnings are for parts which will stay but are likely to collapse easily. The pinker parts do actually have a little more support compared to the dark bricks.

For the base I believe it's showing them as a caution due the the amount of weight above the blocks. The 75° slopes and the bricks along the same axis are showing the fail point of the wall if too much pressure was put on the top.

I'll have to create an unstable model to try and refine the details further but it seems that cautions are fine but just be wary of the design, If there's a warning it seems the piece will hold but could be knocked off easily.

I've even tried it on some Lego sets such as the Tie Advanced and X-Wing, both of those sets have shown a number of cautions and warnings. If anyone has the Nebulon B in lxf it would be interesting to see the results of that MOC!

Has anyone checked the stability of official models using the new stability check in studio 2.0? I do believe there will be warnings or cautions in many official models, too. So we might get an idea of what degree of stability is required for entries to the AFOL Designer Program.