This is a MOC of the T-70 X-Wing from the Resistance, in both Poe Dameron's Black Leader (black and orange) and the generic fighter version (blue and grey). This MOC has been inspired not only on one but by several others creations i've found on the internet. Though i've combined several elements from these builds, most of the design is mine. 
Anyone willing to build this MOC or to know more about it please contact me through the comments. The main pages about this MOC are on the following links: 

https://bricksafe.com/pages/marcanadell4/t-70-x-wing

RESISTANCE X-WING FINAL 9.png

I might post other low-resolution images in the replies. The Stud.io rendered images are can be seen and downloaded on the links that I've given in the description.

Edited by marcanadell4

Any chance for bigger photos? It looks really weird on bricksafe, as if the background was cut in half. It is also more convenient to have photos here, along with the link to the source.

That said, I downloaded the lxf ;)

I like how wings are mostly in one plane, this was awful in the set and some MOCs also get this wrong. Engine intakes look nice, altough they'd be a pain to assemble I guess...
On the other hand, I have bad news when it comes to wings. There is no chance these hinges you used would sustain the weight. I am not sure if click hinges would (altough four of them per wing, maybe?), but with these? No way.

Hi, glad you took a look at my moc. I've been following your amazing work for a while.

About the pics, i'm not very good at rendering yet but if you were interested I could do some more renders to upload them. I suppose the half cut is simulating some kind of "infinite" surface. I'm new here and I'm not sure that I am allowed to upload images bigger than 10Kb or about that. I could send them to you if you wanted.

Refering to the wings, I think it's an LDD problem and that they will be on the same exact plane when I build the model physically. Also, I am already working with the hinge on the wings, but i'm not sure I can find a simple solution to that. I think I would have to modify some other parts of the inner structure but I will try to work out a solution.

I'm giving new updates as I find new solutions to these problems. Anyway, thank you for the feedback and your advice!

11 minutes ago, marcanadell4 said:

I'm new here and I'm not sure that I am allowed to upload images bigger than 10Kb or about that. I could send them to you if you wanted.

Hi, sign up to flickr. Most of the MOCcers have accounts there. :)

Looks great from what I can tell from the existing photos! 

Please could you send me the LDD file?

Cheers

Looks like a nice MOC- nice as sleek as it should be!  :)

1 hour ago, marcanadell4 said:

I'm new here and I'm not sure that I am allowed to upload images bigger than 10Kb or about that.

The paperclip/upload option on Eurobricks is only for very small images to be used in your signature line here on the board.  You only get 100K total, so even 1 regular image probably pushed you to the limit of available space.  For sharing photos of MOCs, etc., you'll want to use a 3rd party service and I think most folks would recommend something like Flickr as mentioned above.

Here's a tutorial on linking/embedding Flickr images in your posts: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/97921-flickr-tutorial/

Thanks for sharing!

22 minutes ago, belkor said:

Looks great from what I can tell from the existing photos! 

Please could you send me the LDD file?

Cheers

The LDD file is in the final entry of the link provided by marcanadell4  - sixth image along with the LDD graphic - click to download.

1 hour ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Hi, sign up to flickr. Most of the MOCcers have accounts there. :)

I'll take a look at that. Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Hold0511 said:

The LDD file is in the final entry of the link provided by marcanadell4  - sixth image along with the LDD graphic - click to download.

Refering to that, I will probably update the LDD file with the suggestioins that Jerac made.

1 hour ago, Jerac said:

I also recommend imgur. Super quick and easy to use.

Not very aware of what this is. I'll take a look at it.

56 minutes ago, deraven said:

Looks like a nice MOC- nice as sleek as it should be!  :)

The paperclip/upload option on Eurobricks is only for very small images to be used in your signature line here on the board.  You only get 100K total, so even 1 regular image probably pushed you to the limit of available space.  For sharing photos of MOCs, etc., you'll want to use a 3rd party service and I think most folks would recommend something like Flickr as mentioned above.

Here's a tutorial on linking/embedding Flickr images in your posts: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/97921-flickr-tutorial/

Thanks for sharing!

I tell you the same as m4st3rt3ch. The tutorial has been really useful, by the way.

Edited by marcanadell4

GREAT looking X-wings!

The engine intakes are especially well done, and it's the feature that made me want to reply.  It's really too bad that the 75149 and 75102 sets have the clunky, ugly engines - changes the whole look of the ships, and not in a good way IMHO.  You really captured the 'split perfect circle' look of the engines here.  If LEGO had spent a little more time with the new X-wing engines, they would have had a fantastic looking model.  I know, I know - price point, piece count, illegal connections, etc...  Sometimes I'm really baffled by the decisions they make.  Your engine solution is awesome.

Let me start of saying the model 'looks' really good, true to the reference and everything. As a matter of fact it looks good enough that it triggers my ldd-magic-beacon :D More often than not, such design suffers from more or less major issues that would complicate or totally prevent the physical build. Some of it was already pointed out by Jerac.

I usually try not to get too critical when it comes to preliminary LDD designs, but I guess it can be useful for you, so there you go:

• I completely agree with Jerac on the intakes - it will be close to impossible to reach the perfect half circle with the bent flex tube, unless you somehow heat it up and let it cool down in the desired shape or something... and even then, it will be very sensitive to misalignment of all the clipped curved slopes.
  • The wing s-foils look very fragile themselves. In the name of thinness and color accuracy you totally sacrificed any rigidity. There is just one 1x2 plate holding the long 1xN inner part of the wing to the wedge plate on the end, so there is just single stud connection. The guns are also connected fairly loosely by just a single modified 1x2 plate with the technic hole on the bottom, and the weight of those, though low, will not help these wings to hold together either.
  • the hinges you used for the wings are obsolete and as Jerac said, they can't hold the foils. both the top and bottom one would just bend down with gravity. Also it is quite bad practice to use obsolete parts except where its really beneficial for looks/purpose.
  • You also used old style finger hinges to do a stud-bottom reversal for the curved slope panel at the bottom of the back side of the hull - again, not good, not strong - avoid.
  • It seems to me that the big black flap pieces forming the sides of the nose aren't connected to anything - well, yeah they are connected to a hinge plate which also has 2x2 corner tile on it, but that itself is just floating. That wont hold in real :)
  • towards the nose, there is some mess with 1x1 plates used where you could easily use 1x2 or even longer pieces, with no apparent reason to me. Similarly in the wing assemblies and some places in the hull, the part usage efficiency stumbles (e.g. 2x2 plate right next to 1x2, both black - why not use 2x3, would be sturdier) so it really calls for some optimization in that regard.
  • [EDIT] I forgot the color availability issues, but I am not sure if you ignored that purposefully. One thing people tend to ignore are technic 3L pins with friction you use non-friction ones in black, which don't exist. But you can't use the friction ones instead, because you can't easily push the bar in those because of the reinforced internal geometry.

All in all, my first statement holds true - it looks really good. But as for now, it is far from being suitable for physical build, even just as a pure display model. And I think X-wings need to be swooshed :D !

Edited by krisandkris12

2 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

Let me start of saying the model 'looks' really good, true to the reference and everything. As a matter of fact it looks good enough that it triggers my ldd-magic-beacon :D More often than not, such design suffers from more or less major issues that would complicate or totally prevent the physical build. Some of it was already pointed out by Jerac.

I usually try not to get too critical when it comes to preliminary LDD designs, but I guess it can be useful for you, so there you go:

• I completely agree with Jerac on the intakes - it will be close to impossible to reach the perfect half circle with the bent flex tube, unless you somehow heat it up and let it cool down in the desired shape or something... and even then, it will be very sensitive to misalignment of all the clipped curved slopes.
  • The wing s-foils look very fragile themselves. In the name of thinness and color accuracy you totally sacrificed any rigidity. There is just one 1x2 plate holding the long 1xN inner part of the wing to the wedge plate on the end, so there is just single stud connection. The guns are also connected fairly loosely by just a single modified 1x2 plate with the technic hole on the bottom, and the weight of those, though low, will not help these wings to hold together either.
  • the hinges you used for the wings are obsolete and as Jerac said, they can't hold the foils. both the top and bottom one would just bend down with gravity. Also it is quite bad practice to use obsolete parts except where its really beneficial for looks/purpose.
  • You also used old style finger hinges to do a stud-bottom reversal for the curved slope panel at the bottom of the back side of the hull - again, not good, not strong - avoid.
  • It seems to me that the big black flap pieces forming the sides of the nose aren't connected to anything - well, yeah they are connected to a hinge plate which also has 2x2 corner tile on it, but that itself is just floating. That wont hold in real :)
  • towards the nose, there is some mess with 1x1 plates used where you could easily use 1x2 or even longer pieces, with no apparent reason to me. Similarly in the wing assemblies and some places in the hull, the part usage efficiency stumbles (e.g. 2x2 plate right next to 1x2, both black - why not use 2x3, would be sturdier) so it really calls for some optimization in that regard.

All in all, my first statement holds true - it looks really good. But as for now, it is far from being suitable for physical build, even just as a pure display model. And I think X-wings need to be swooshed :D !

First of all thank you for the advice, as I said to Jerac. I'm trying to fix all those issues but I'm having a hard time with the engines and the flaps on the front. One more thing, feel free to modify the LDD file and come up with your own solutions. However, I've been able to fix the wings' thickness.

And again, thank you for the feedback!

I've found a solution on the engines but i have some problems with the hinge in the wings so I won't be updating the LDD file yet. The image is awful but take a look:

engine intake ok.png

Edited by marcanadell4

^ Good luck and sure enough, feedback - especially the one that helps you improve the model - is what forum is for!

The colors for your model line up really well with Black One, and I really like the way the wings line up properly.

Couple of things that stood out to me when looking at the new model

• The change to the engines and wings to increase stability also added a gap between the two halves when the wings are closed, you could swap the 1x2 with 2 studs for a 2x2x2/3 with 2 studs on both top and bottom to close the gap which also will bring the top of the curve in line with the body of the engine housing
  • The front tips down which makes the side profile look odd, you might want to try looking at other pieces in place of the bottom boat part, you could probably use the clip connection you have to turn the nose up slightly and then a piece like the 4x4 bow instead of the 4x6 one (you might have to stretch the nose about a little to do that)
  • Also from the side, your bottom is mostly flat, however the T-70 tapers on both the top and bottom, maybe see if you can work an extra plate in to taper towards the rear fuselage
  • If you could drop the canopy a plate you could get rid of the lip at the front of the canopy and have a cleaner taper from the side profile
  • The back of the lasers where you are using the wheels, on the t-70 it gets smaller after the main laser housing, on here it gets larger, maybe flip the peg it is on and use a 1x1 round tile
  • I don't recall there being a light of any kind in the middle back of the fuselage where you have the blue one.
  • If you're using any parts that don't exist in the color (I didn't actually check) you could swap the hinge connecting the big tapered piece on the side of the nose to orange (only really helps for rendering so the orange line continues a bit cleaner, when you're actually going to build I don't think that part exists)
  • I'm not really a huge fan of the engine detailing from the front, but I also don't have a good solution for it.  You could try using a 1x1 with shaft  in the corners and then one of the stick/tubes with holder in black attached to it so it has a little bit of a fake radial pattern to it.

11 hours ago, Exile Phoenix said:

The colors for your model line up really well with Black One, and I really like the way the wings line up properly.

Couple of things that stood out to me when looking at the new model

• The change to the engines and wings to increase stability also added a gap between the two halves when the wings are closed, you could swap the 1x2 with 2 studs for a 2x2x2/3 with 2 studs on both top and bottom to close the gap which also will bring the top of the curve in line with the body of the engine housing
  • The front tips down which makes the side profile look odd, you might want to try looking at other pieces in place of the bottom boat part, you could probably use the clip connection you have to turn the nose up slightly and then a piece like the 4x4 bow instead of the 4x6 one (you might have to stretch the nose about a little to do that)
  • Also from the side, your bottom is mostly flat, however the T-70 tapers on both the top and bottom, maybe see if you can work an extra plate in to taper towards the rear fuselage
  • If you could drop the canopy a plate you could get rid of the lip at the front of the canopy and have a cleaner taper from the side profile
  •  The back of the lasers where you are using the wheels, on the t-70 it gets smaller after the main laser housing, on here it gets larger, maybe flip the peg it is on and use a 1x1 round tile
  •  I don't recall there being a light of any kind in the middle back of the fuselage where you have the blue one.
  • If you're using any parts that don't exist in the color (I didn't actually check) you could swap the hinge connecting the big tapered piece on the side of the nose to orange (only really helps for rendering so the orange line continues a bit cleaner, when you're actually going to build I don't think that part exists)
  •  I'm not really a huge fan of the engine detailing from the front, but I also don't have a good solution for it.  You could try using a 1x1 with shaft  in the corners and then one of the stick/tubes with holder in black attached to it so it has a little bit of a fake radial pattern to it.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and all the advice. I'm already working on these things, however, I'm not sure what you mean in the first point.

About the blue light it tries to ressemble the added engine from The Last Jedi,seen just before Poe destroys the Dreadnought turrets, right when he says "Punch it BB-8". You might also remember this scene from the trailers.

What I mean for the first point is in the middle of the engine swap the 1x2 with studs on side for one of these with a plate on top of it (you would need to swap the 2x2 behind it too)

https://bricksafe.com/pages/marcanadell4/t-70-x-wing/t-70-x-wing-v2/t-70-x-wing-v2.1 In this link you can find the newest LDD files and some renders, which correspond to the 2.1 version of the model. I fixed many things, but I couldn't find a way to solve some the problems you all mentioned without sacrificing some parts. I also didn't check the color availability, mainly because I don't plan to buy the parts soon. Overall, however, it looks much better than the first version and it has most of the issues solved thanks to everyone's advice!