Sign in to follow this  
General Magma

Reconsidering my LEGO hobby due to my other ambitions

I wasn't sure whether this belonged here or in 'Community', but I've been thinking of gathering some outside perspectives & opinions on this.

This is something I've been wrestling with for a while now, and it's pretty much reached the point of me needing to get it off my chest and discuss it somewhere as it's a pretty big dilemma. Perhaps some of you have experienced this or something similar to it, too.
I'll keep the background behind this as short as I can to still cover all relevant points: I have ambitions to become a skillful artist (I want to do digital art at one point, drawing is my main focus),
and on the side I have a fantasy world I've been working on and want to practice writing for so I can publish at least a few novels one day, but that's more of a side-thing compared to my visual art ambitions.
Here's where the problem comes in. Going against my earlier decision this year to put LEGO on a back-burner and only make an occasional dinosaur or so, I went through a bit of a slum when it came to art and decided to do much more with LEGO again, and that it would perhaps add more variety, which turns out manifests in chaos now and over-variety. Anyhow, it quickly led to a lot of planning new projects and ideas and got to the point of amassing thousands of parts (which has also given added guilt and concern of wasting resources). However, these past few weeks I've been struggling to spend enough time on my art, and feel like having added projects in the realm of LEGO is weighing me down. Not just in terms of time, mind you, but in terms of allocating space I barely have, too, as well as mental focus and the time it takes to map things out in my head. There's only so much time and energy to allocate in a day and I can't do it all. It has even made me consider selling off that large lot of parts and minifig pieces again so I can get the money back and have the time I need to focus on my art, since I'm just struggling to balance it now. Even though I have a final gap year before I go to college next year, and should have plenty of time. But I felt more satisfied with the course I had taken earlier this year and am considering going back to keeping the brick-building at a minimum so I can put in the hours per day that I need to put into my art.

People usually say "don't sell", but I think a lot of the pieces I've gathered won't be used much and I could always order pieces for projects that are actually being worked on instead of sizing up my collection for potential future projects. If I were to go through with undoing those plans and getting the pieces sold off again (considering it... and then I see all the pieces, I hesitate, and kinda want to keep everything around - cycle continues), I'd still stick with my plan of making an occasional creature from time to time and rounding off some fantasy scenes I had planned, but at the moment, I feel as if I'd be better off actually working on my main line of art and focusing on that, which takes many hours of time to develop skill in. At this point, all the LEGO plans and ideas feel like a distraction, and as if my art slum has somehow gotten me into "settling" for something short of what I actually want to do, 'trading' time I could spend on art. As much as I enjoy building LEGO, I just don't like how time, space and money consuming it (is/has become for me), from sorting to building to disassembling MOCs, and I find the art of drawing and sculpting (with the latter having come in more recently. It's still related to drawing, since it's a very helpful skill for draftsmanship) much more appealing at this point. I wish there was enough time in a day to do it all, but there just isn't and I need to keep up my progress if I want to accomplish those goals.

Thoughts? Anyone here been through something similar?

Edited by General Magma

I'd say it's fine to ease up on the LEGO hobby for a while or even sell off some of what you have if you feel like you need money/space. But I will also add that from my college experience, it can sometimes be good to have occasional distractions so you don't get overwhelmed spending all your time on work of greater importance. During some of my most stressful years at college, being able to reward myself by building a LEGO set or spending some time on a MOC at the end of the week can be really therapeutic. While studying art or working as an artist can definitely eat up a lot of the creative energy you might ordinarily use for building, it can also be a source of inspiration, creative skills, and creative vocabulary that can improve your building or allow you to better understand and appreciate other people's set and MOC designs.

I also suggest that if you are comfortable using LDD or any other digital building software it can be a great way to enjoy some low-stakes creative LEGO playtime and brainstorm ideas without having to worry so much about spending money, taking up space, or making messes you have to clean up later. It's also great for if when going to/from school during a break or long weekend you don't bring much of your physical collection with you, or for being able to experiment with parts you don't have before buying them, so you don't wind up realizing they don't actually work for what you had in mind.

Another thing to think about is whether there's any way to combine your passion for LEGO with your career aspirations. Obviously a lot of jobs with The LEGO Group can be pretty competitive, and to be honest even though being a LEGO designer has been pretty much a lifelong goal for me I don't know if it'll ever happen. But like, a little over a year ago I did a 3-month internship at the Hasbro photo studio, and a lot of what qualified me for that opportunity was that it allowed me to take advantage of not only the photography skills I'd learned at school, but also my experience photographing LEGO MOCs/sets and my general passion for and insights into toy design. I've also done quite a few art projects inspired by LEGO, from photography to sculpture to drawing to digital photo editing.

Even if you'd rather not make LEGO the subject of your work, you can often find ways that the types of things you enjoy doing with LEGO or the things about LEGO models that excite you or even just the things you've learned as a LEGO fan intersect with the creative fields you want to explore professionally. And connections you've made as a LEGO fan with other creative-minded people (many of whom have studied art or are current art students) can be a great network for support as well as academic or professional advice.

I won't lie to you, being an art student is TOUGH. How tough can vary depending on the rigor and level of accommodations at the school you choose to go to. There are many times it can be easy to lose sleep, fall out of touch with your family or social circle, or even realize you no longer get as much enjoyment out of things that you were once passionate about. It may also take a lot longer than you expect. Right now drawing and digital art might be your focus but you may at some point wind up feeling less certain of that goal or drawn towards a different form of art. But no matter how things go down you will want to have some kind of low-stakes emotional outlet to retreat to if burnout or exhaustion starts to set in. Could be LEGO, could be video games, could be books/comics, could be something else entirely. Just don't start thinking that a serious pursuit of your goals necessarily requires cutting out things that might be a source of relief when things start to feel overwhelming.

Edited by Aanchir

33 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Thank you for your insights!

It certainly can eat up a lot of creative energy, but indeed, it acting as an outlet when things start to get difficult as well as building on creative vocabulary were also one of my reasons to get back to it. It just really escalated and I came up with a
bunch of big plans that now, in hindsight, feel like it was an escape from how long it might take me to get to the level of artistic skill I strive for. Now my desk has sorting bins on every side and I can't find the space to create a little corner for my main art.
So I'll definitely do some reconsidering in that regard and see what I can sell, perhaps I could thin out my collection and organize things in a way so that the MOC parts are aimed specifically at, say, making dinosaurs,
once I've finished a few more of my planned fantasy MOCs. At least I'll have done much of what I wanted to do with it, then. All of your other points are valid as well and I'll remember to take that with me - those connections,
experiences and ways of looking at things that I discovered through this hobby.

Also, as much as I've been considering it, I'm not sure if I'll actually study art in college due to said toughness and job prospects thereafter (but I will still do my research the coming months), though art is definitely going to remain an important thing for me and something I want to get as good at as I possibly can and then see where I can take it, through building an online presence and whatever else. Therefore I'd like for it to be my focus during my gap year, and then during most of my free time beyond that.
I've thought of trying to become a LEGO designer sometime in the future, but as you say, it's highly competitive and I don't necessarily want to risk losing enjoyment for something due to it becoming a job and a rather tough one at that, all things considered.

Using LDD is a good idea! I'll take a good look at that. It may also be of great help when it comes to actually figuring out which parts I'll need, instead of 'hoarding' tons of them, thinking "that'll be good for this or that kind of MOC".

I think one of the things about me that makes this such a problem is the fact I like to focus on one or just a few particular things at a time, and working on progressing my art skills is one of my top priorities and something I want to do daily.
It just gets tough when I have to somehow balance that with other projects. I definitely won't cut LEGO out completely if I do decide to put it on a back-burner; I feel like certain things do need some reconsidering at the moment, however.
I realize I've spent too much in the past weeks on 'potential projects', as now my budget for art courses and such things has also been blown away for the time being.
The pieces are very cool and stir up a lot of ideas, and will be hard to get myself part with, but knowing there'll always be Bricklink when I genuinely need them is a relief - I'll take it as a lesson. I do need the money now and I recently re-calibrated my
perspective on things, such as my wish to pursue art seriously but not to the extent of suffering burn-outs like the one I went through recently. But then, at the same time, I feel as if LEGO MOC-building wouldn't be much of a break since it requires creative energy.

I'd like to hear other people's perspectives on this matter as well, but for now, it looks like I'm going to take a good look at thinning out my collection and freeing up space and resources to be able to really focus on my art more.
I don't want to abandon the LEGO hobby, but I would like for it to be this thing I do from time to time. Perhaps just within one theme, such as dinosaurs - I think that should keep the boat from rocking. It's nice to have these ideas and plans and all,
but having it stir the pot of chaos, spilling it over the edge and burning my toes with it will do me no good. Therefore I'll go back to the plans I had earlier this year, gradually,
and just make my workspace (which is one corner of my room, in reality) an environment that inspires me to focus on drawing & digital art.

Edited by General Magma

I would also recommend having LEGO as a release valve like @Aanchir suggests ;)

I have been teaching in college (applied university) for about 12 years now and just finished my masters myself, but find it always nice to have LEGO around. It means I am not visiting the amount of events I used to do, but I still enjoy building my (in my case) city. I also choose not to focus on Technics for my hobby (although I have taught robotics and regularly give FLL workshops etc), in our case my wife is more into Technic (she teaches math, I teach computer science), so maybe it will be a good idea to balance what you are doing and see how LEGO or any other hobby would fit in. 

It is really important in college to not only study but also keep your head cool, I also see students struggle quite a lot and it helps if they have a good 'blow vent'. For me LEGO always has been such a vent (even as a kid when things at school were not as nice as they should have been due to some nagging classmates), but I don't know of course what works best for you @General Magma. I would recommend just experience it as you go and try to adjust everything to your situation (and maybe speak about it with other students and/or a study coach if you feel too much stress).

Maybe it'll help to set a more strict schedule. You don't have to spend time on everything in just one day. Stick to just one thing a day so you can focus on just that. Switching one day with another is fine if it helps to finish something, but if it happens too often you might want to reconsider the order of your schedule. Two things a day is possible too but you'll have to keep a strict time schedule.

If you are not mind blocking yourself, is probably pretty smart to sell. It took my 2 years to finish my master thesis and through my weak discipline, I blame lego. Sure I have a family, friends, work and other interests as well, but nothing has taken my time as much as lego has and it's also much harder to cut out family responsibilities, social events and money earning aspects than it is to chop chop lego. So I wish i had not started buying lego (at least not until I was done)

Not to forget how worried I am overtime we have kids or drunk people in this house that somebody will break my shit. Sometime I wonder if it's worth it.

Of course, me myself & I will probably never be capable of selling my lego, I just wish sometimes that I could, or I regret I even started to begin with, no matter how much I enjoy the hobby

Edited by Sneakguest

6 hours ago, General Magma said:

Also, as much as I've been considering it, I'm not sure if I'll actually study art in college due to said toughness and job prospects thereafter (but I will still do my research the coming months), though art is definitely going to remain an important thing for me and something I want to get as good at as I possibly can and then see where I can take it, through building an online presence and whatever else. Therefore I'd like for it to be my focus during my gap year, and then during most of my free time beyond that.
I've thought of trying to become a LEGO designer sometime in the future, but as you say, it's highly competitive and I don't necessarily want to risk losing enjoyment for something due to it becoming a job and a rather tough one at that, all things considered. 

I had a lot of the same uncertainties when I was getting ready to start college. The way I responded to them — though there were some specific factors for me that may not be relevant to you like wanting a school with experience teaching students with ASD/ADHD/NVLD — was that I studied at a two-year school to get an A.A. in Liberal Arts/Liberal Studies. Programs like that usually expect you to take a certain number of general education classes in categories like English/Math/Science that may wind up being a part of many schools' art and design degree programs anyhow, as well as opportunities to take classes in a field you're more interested in (like drawing, sculpture, etc) as electives. Once you have an Associate degree, then you can decide whether you want to continue studying for a higher-level degree like a Bachelor's or Master's Degree, whether you want to remain at the same school or change schools, what field you want your next degree in, etc.

The drawback to this approach, of course, is that some of the credits you earn towards your A.A. may not count towards your next degree since different degree programs have different requirements. So if, say, the Liberal Arts degree you get requires more science credits than the B.A. or B.F.A. you decide to go for next, the "extra" credits you earned will only count towards your B.F.A. as elective credits (and even then, only up until you've met the elective credit requirements). So starting with an A.A. in Liberal Arts and moving on to a B.A. or B.F.A. in a more specific field might take longer overall than picking a degree program more specific to your goals from the start.

Also, don't forget that your love of LEGO can be channeled into other art forms! Like, drawing or painting LEGO sets, bricks, or figures can be great practice with skills like perspective, shading, and color theory. Drawing scenes involving LEGO characters or re-imagining events from LEGO media (like The LEGO Movie, etc) can be good illustration practice. BrickFilms can be great for building animation skills. A lot of schools actually even use LEGO in drafting or 3D modeling classes as an exercise in re-creating real objects as a schematic or a digital render. Honestly, one of my biggest frustration with "AFOL" fan groups — as opposed to, say, the broader Ninjago fan community that operates more independently of the LUGs, forums, conventions, Facebook groups, and so forth that so much of the AFOL identity tends to be structured around — is that AFOL groups tend to prioritize MOCs and other works where the brick is the medium over other types of LEGO-inspired creative expression like drawings, paintings, music, animation, creative writing, voice acting, cosplay, and non-brick-built sculpture. But that doesn't mean you can't explore ways to engage with the brand that DO use and reinforce the types of creative skills you're hoping to use in your professional life.

And if it's any help — it has been for me — read up on or ask questions about the backgrounds of people who already have jobs in the field/company you want to work for. The job listings for LEGO design positions can sometimes sound very strict and specific but the truth is that often the skill set LEGO wants to see can be a lot more flexible. For instance, an oft-cited recommendation/candidate profile is somebody with a degree in industrial design or toy design, but some of LEGO's current set designers have education and professional backgrounds in fields ranging from architecture to fashion design to interior design to illustration (and probably even more wide-ranging fields than that)! What they really want to see on a more general level is evidence of the degree to which you've honed your creative skills, put them to the test in professional or academic settings, and can apply those skills using LEGO bricks as a medium.

I was able to get invited to a recruitment workshop in Billund a few years ago for a design job working on girls' play themes, despite my most relevant qualifications being:

• A.A. in Liberal Studies
  • one year of classes in an Industrial Design program at another school (it didn't work out for me and I wound up dropping out)
  • a few months unpaid experience creating social media content for a small toy company in my hometown (like, with fewer than 5 employees)
  • a few years unpaid experience writing for LEGO fansites
  • a portfolio of some of my best/most recent LEGO and non-LEGO creative works
  • a strong initial Skype interview

While I didn't wind up getting the job and was probably the person in the room with the least impressive academic and professional credentials, I think being invited alone says a lot for how wide a net LEGO is casting and how profoundly having lifelong experience, familiarity, and engagement with the LEGO products and brand can work in your favor. Even outside of LEGO, I think you'll find that there are a lot of different paths you can take to any number of creative jobs. So try your best to keep your OWN expectations of yourself and the paths available to you flexible as well!

Edited by Aanchir

My preacher once told me to always run from temptation.  In the end it will always get you.  Sad truth, but usually correct.  If Lego is holding you back in life, let it go.  Sell your bricks and put the money toward what you really want in life.  For most Lego is a hobby, something fun and enjoyable.  If this is interfering with your life you need to distance yourself from it.  

Why must it make you feel guilty? If you are finding the LEGO is causing a distraction to the important and priority parts of life, then try putting it away out of sight. If you think that your collection is too large, pull out what you know you will never use to sell on. Your dinosaurs are works of art, but I am sure you are well aware of what parts you need for future builds and plans, so by all means reduce according to your needs. 

That frees up some physical space and makes it easier to pack something away for a while. If your planned focus for now is (rightly) schooling/university it is better to put away things that act as a distraction to priority deadlines.

However, I am going to third the advice that LEGO is a good stress release. LEGO is one of the greatest de-stress methods I know. It helps me deal with my anxiety disorder and my general work based frustrations. It is also a tactile and 3D method of problem solving, a physical method of untangling your thoughts/problems.  

So, maybe you can downsize the collection, focus on something else by putting away what you don't need out on view. 

But unless what you feel bad for is actually hurting anyone, guilt is just a self destructive thing. 

19 hours ago, General Magma said:

Thoughts? Anyone here been through something similar?

The dilemma of any creative person, I guess. I feel the pain, though I've never let myself get dragged down too much by considerations of what's better and a more efficient use of my time. It's that old "Art simply is." thing and as long as you have any creative outlets, I wouldn't worry too much whether that's LEGO or something else. And since you still seem to be rather young - there will be plenty of time to write books and paint paintings. Do what's closest to your heart now and what gives you the most satisfaction and by all means don't make any of this depoendent on an academic education or whatever just on the vague chance you might do any of that professionally. Life has a way of taking you in unexpected directions...

Mylenium

I know where you coming from.
At one point half a year ago i felt way to drawn to the whole thing in total, especially LDD building.
When u just wanna build something small and suddenly its nighttime you know u arent spending ur time wisely.
There is other things, way more important stuff to focus on irl.
So here is what i did, and therefore i can only agree on getting it out of sight and maybe even cutting all ties to communities etc for a while:

I took all my files and put them on an old harddrive, what i had in bricks i took apart into single pieces, put them in order and assorted my moc instructions.
Everything went into one big box, sealed it off in 10 wrappings against moisture (and the itch to even open it) and placed it in the worst accesable space in my attic.
I deleted everything LEGO filed i had at home, send a few copies to a friend and thus i just got rid off everything - without loosing it just in case i might want it later in life.
I layed low on the communites and just focused way more on artwork and music.
It really worked wonders. Out of sight, out of mind.

Selling is usually a bad idea unless its only parts you could get back easily if you wish to return to this hobby.

Hope it helps, let us hear what you are up to ;)

cheers

Thank you for all of your insights, everybody! I appreciate it.

I have recently decided to begin selling off things I am not all too likely to make use of (starting with fantasy/castle minifig parts), and take things from there,
so I can clear some space and get the money back so I can fund my highest priority projects. I started a topic for the first batch of these items in the BSTF sub-forum, if anyone wants to help out
and/or may be interested in this kind of pieces. I'll mainly be focusing on my art and music from now on - however, not all is lost on the LEGO front, since I'll still be working on the occasional dinosaur
(I have at least 4 that I definitely want to make before wrapping up that series for the time being) and potential scenes later on, including more Western MOCs. But nothing that'll have much of a priority henceforth.

But other than that, I am definitely thinning out my collection and will make an attempt to undo all the recent purchases for the most part (save for the parts I'll still be able to make use of)
and I will also be storing the LEGO parts that will remain differently. Pretty much what @Ron Dayes did, albeit in a slightly different way - packing most pieces together in semi-organized bunches
and storing them away so I can turn my desk into a proper workspace and environment for my prioritized activities. 

~ GM

In many ways I can relate to where you are coming from.  In the years running up before college I wasn't even sure what I wanted to major in, let alone how I was going to pay for it.  I was working several jobs and saving every penny I earned - which left me with precious little time or money to pursue hobbies.  I never considered selling off my Lego collection, in part because it was very modest to begin with, but moreover the invention of the Web was a decade away so the only option would have been a yard sale or an ad in the local paper and I couldn't imagine selling off my precious Lego for pennies on the dollar to some random person who might not appreciate it as much as I.  

In my youth I had been an avid writer (and reader), as well as a talented amateur artist.  I'd created a rich Dungeons&Dragons fantasy world which I both gamed in as well as using as a backdrop for my stories and drawings - and I put most of that on hold in my preparations for college, no time for such silly things I told myself.  I was wrong, the more hobbies I gave up in the name of focusing on academia, the harder I found achieving at academia to be.  Those silly things kept my creative mind going.  Reading made me a better writer.  Writing my silly fantasy stories made me a better communicator in general.  Visualizing my fantasy world help hone my view of the real one.  "Playing" with Lego made me a better artist and (ultimately) a better engineer.  It may sound silly to suggest that DM-ing a D&D campaign or playing cards made me better at math, but I aced probability and statistics.

I know from my own experience "adults" like to obsess over the question of "What would you like to be when you grow up?"  As a former professor who had to advise incoming freshmen, I think this does a great disservice to our youth.  While having an ambition is certainly desirable, beating a kid over the head with the notion that a career path chosen (somewhat blindly) in his/her early teens is going to define the rest of his/her life, is not.  It's okay to diversify.  In all likelihood the jobs you'll be applying for in the future haven't even been invented yet.  Neil Armstrong didn't grow up saying he wanted to be an astronaut, there weren't any astronauts when he was growing up, he still made it to the moon.  

Truth is, a lot of people with terminal undergraduate college degrees don't actually use them professionally.  It's far more likely that their jobs relate to their academic minors, odd courses taken outside their major or even their hobbies.  I had one friend in college who majored in International Relations, she took an Intro to Acting class to satisfy a distribution requirement; she caught the acting bug and now she works as a voice actor in animation.  Another friend, a mechanical engineer and avid member of the Gaming Society student club, is now a published game designer.  A Comparative Religions major I knew was a great fan of Lego Technic in college, he went on to found a robotics company based on his hobby interest and his minor in Economics.  A classmate of mine (we were never that close) Pierre Omidyar, _did_ study computer science, but it was his passion for auctions that led him to found eBay.  The thing these people have in common isn't what they studied in school, it's that they kept their minds open to opportunities and were wiling to take a chance following their passions rather than dwelling on other's expectations for them.

I know this has been a bit long and meandering (that happens when you work as a professor) but my point it this: Have ambitions, but don't loose sight of the big picture and don't sacrifice parts of yourself in the name of pursuing goals that may not matter in the long run.  Of course, passions wax and wane as well, but they should be allowed to do so naturally; and it's that natural process that will help define who you will become as a person.  I know I'm not the same person I was in high school, most people aren't.  College isn't just about preparing for a career, it's a chance to explore who you want to become and how you want to grow over time.  The undergraduate graduation ceremony is called "commencement" for a reason; it's not the end it's a beginning; it's the fledgling birds leaving the nest for the last time and flying off truly on their own for the first time.  The most important thing most people get out of the college experience isn't something they read in a textbook, it's something they discovered about themselves while nominally "focusing" on something else, and it's that discovery that takes them forward to the next chapter of their lives more so than any notation on a transcript.

So what, if anything does this have to do with Lego?  It sound like Lego is a core part of who you are _today_.  That may change over time, but today, it keeps you stimulated, creative, and active - and these are all good things.  You say you want to focus on your art, but as far as your brain is concerned Lego _is_ art.  Maybe it's not the medium you think you want to explore at the moment, but art begins with the imagination and the creative process, the medium is more a question of mechanics and technique.   A writer friend of mind keeps a can of Play-doh on her desk.  I asked her "why" once, she said it was her treatment for writers block.  If she found she couldn't shape a thought with words, sometimes it helped to shape it in clay and then write paragraph or two describing the sculpture.  I asked her if that really works and she said, "Sometimes creativity just needs to move sideways to overcome inertia."  Now I keep a cup of random Lego parts on my desk, just in case of creative emergencies.

If having too ready access to Lego is becoming an obsession or making procrastination too easy, then by all means pare things down; Put some things in storage in such a way that it take an active effort to get them out again; Abide by a "clean-desk" policy that demands that works in progress be put away at the end of the day, not left out as a temptation the next time you sit down to do work, etc.  Just don't artificially deny yourself a passion or a creative outlet because you feel guilty about not meeting other expectations.  If your other interests, truly matter to you, they will keep you engaged on their own regardless of the state of your Lego collection.   I've found that boredom is the _real_ threat to both productivity and excellence, the best way to stave off boredom is to keep yourself challenged and to embrace creative outlets in all their forms.  There's never enough time in the day for everything, but somehow it all works out in the end.

Good luck.

Is there a way that you can combine your art and your building, using Lego as a medium?  I ask because some of the amazing builds you post are pieces of art.  You have the eye not only to build, but also to put the time into photography and know what you're looking for.  Your recent builds in the historic forum are great--the lighting on the lich (the most recent post that comes to mind) is awesome!

I think a lot of the things you are going through can really only be answered by yourself, really tough decisions for sure. Maybe just pack up the LEGO for a year, see how you like it and then either sell it all or break it back out and start building. It would be a shame to get rid of it then decide you miss it too much and have to start all over again.