Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

There's only one Boba's Slave 1 now in CC as the UCS has now retired

It has not retired in the U.S.

21 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It has not retired in the U.S.

Well it's definitely retired in Europe so I would guess the US probably just has more stock, but I would think it's not too far behind. 

Jango’s Slave I would make much more sense but then again, the re-release of a Droid Gunship and AT-AP makes no sense, so who knows what the thought process of TLG is

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Jango’s Slave I would make much more sense but then again, the re-release of a Droid Gunship and AT-AP makes no sense, so who knows what the thought process of TLG 

Clone Wars season 7 could justify it.

Just now, Robianco said:

I do like these figures. :)

ooooh, the super secret special inferno pack with limited edition arm prints. ;-]

1 in a million set. ;-]

in all seriousness. they’re wonderful and the arms just complete it!

Just now, Tidy said:

ooooh, the super secret special inferno pack with limited edition arm prints. ;-]

1 in a million set. ;-]

in all seriousness. they’re wonderful and the arms just complete it!

You know some people will take you seriously don’t you? ;)

Just now, Robianco said:

You know some people will take you seriously don’t you? ;)

lol. yeah. 

2 hours ago, Tidy said:

lol. yeah. 

In all seriousness, are those Firestar custom arms or something?  For a second, I looked at the picture, did a double-take, and thought: Have we come to a new era of Star Wars minifigures?  But  I guess not.  

4 hours ago, sn0wmana said:

Curious how the Slave I set is listed as " 20th Anniversary Edition." Wonder if that points more toward Boba's.

I would personally guess Boba, if only because the 10th anniversary sets were all from the OT, and we haven't had a non-D2C Slave I set since 2010.  That being said, there is also a podracer coming out around the anniversary, so who knows?

Plus, 2019 is not the 20th anniversary of Attack of the Clones or Empire Strikes Back, nor is it even a Disney-wide merchandising thing, obviously, it's LEGO-specific, so at the end of the day, TLG will do what they want, or what they think will work.  Speaking of which, no one was touching the Droid Gunships or AT-APs when I was at the LEGO Store today.  :grin:

19 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Plus, 2019 is not the 20th anniversary of Attack of the Clones or Empire Strikes Back, nor is it even a Disney-wide merchandising thing, obviously, it's LEGO-specific, so at the end of the day, TLG will do what they want, or what they think will work.  Speaking of which, no one was touching the Droid Gunships or AT-APs when I was at the LEGO Store today.  :grin:

I did wonder how well sets that are basically unchanged from a design less than 5 years old would sell. IMO it was a weird choice to lead with, but oh well. I do think a Jango Slave I  would sell like hotcakes given that the last one we saw was very simplistic compared to the advances Lego Star Wars has made, purely in new pieces. 

5 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

In all seriousness, are those Firestar custom arms or something?  For a second, I looked at the picture, did a double-take, and thought: Have we come to a new era of Star Wars minifigures?  But  I guess not. 

Series 17 CMF Surfer. 

Regarding the re re release of the droid gunship and AT-AP, I missed out on the droid gunship the first time so Ill have a chance to pickup 6 or so. But I wait quite a while until the new ones go on sale. That could also be a reason why no one is really picking them up right off the gate. some of you seem to forget 5 years is actually a long enough time to cycle through some of the designs for the next gen of children. 

1 hour ago, ARIEL-1970 said:

Regarding the re re release of the droid gunship and AT-AP, I missed out on the droid gunship the first time so Ill have a chance to pickup 6 or so. But I wait quite a while until the new ones go on sale. That could also be a reason why no one is really picking them up right off the gate. some of you seem to forget 5 years is actually a long enough time to cycle through some of the designs for the next gen of children. 

I agree, new fans seem to be a forgotten concept. I didn't start collecting Lego Star Wars until 2016 and it was a major part of bringing me out of my mini-dark ages. I see people complaining about "ugh, not character/ship again", but for me it was my first chance to pick it up. You shouldn't be up a creek without a paddle just because you got on the train too late. I see this with DC too, people complaining about recycled villains just because they got them when the line was fresh in 2012 and all the iconic characters were available at the same time.

3 hours ago, ARIEL-1970 said:

I see the same attitude with Hasbro collectors, particularly with the Black Series and Vintage Collection lines. 

5 minutes ago, Renown said:

I see the same attitude with Hasbro collectors, particularly with the Black Series and Vintage Collection lines. 

I’ve gotten into the Black Series this past year and it’s softened my opinion on how much Lego rereleases products. 

For those who don’t know the Black Series has quite a few figures from earlier in its run around four years ago like Commander Cody that go for around $100 bucks on the secondary market, after initially retailing at $20. Even figures that came out last year like Commander Gree go for tons the moment they stop hitting the shelves. 

Recently Hasbro has begun an archive line of all the old figures to allow new collectors to catch up on ones they missed without costing them an arm and a leg from scalpers. 

I’d be curious to learn whether Lego rereleasing old products is to combat scalpers?

Edited by Forresto

I think most collectors recognize that updates/re-releases of existing sets are going to happen, and in some cases welcome them. The issue that most of us have is when the same sets get re-issued over and over, whereas other ships/locations have only seen one release (or none). Those who didn't pick up the AT-AP or Droid Gunship a few years ago are of course excited at a second chance, but there are ships that haven't been touched in 10-15 years, and are either so dated that they're not worth owning, or so expensive that they're out of most buyers's reach. I'd personally rather see those get new builds first. 

I wonder how much of an impact the rereleases actually have on the price of older sets. Certainly literal rereleases of the exact same set would be expected to lower the resale prices, but my guess would be that most of the people buying sets on the secondary market want that exact set, not just any AT-AP, and that for most sets the new releases don't change the demand that much (although in some cases, like the UCS Falcon, they might). Bricklink says that a new copy of the previous AT-AP sold for $69 on average in July, before anybody knew that a new one was coming out, and that price had increased to $75 in December (although there's enough fluctuation that that increase probably isn't significant). It's too early to say whether the new one will substantially decrease the price of the old--something to watch over the next few months.

I'll get the AT-AP because I'm a sucker for the GAR vehicles, but since I already have both the previous ones I really wish they'd done something different with it. I don't have any problem with them rereleasing vehicles except when they package them in such similar ways. All four AT-TEs are substantially different sets--the original 2002 one has a speeder and four clones, the TCW version has Anakin, Ahsoka, Rex, and a STAP, the 2015 (?) one has Coleman Trebor, who was a great new figure... the problem with the AT-AP isn't just that it's the same vehicle, it's that it's effectively the same entire set. The gunship and AT-AP in 2014 came with Gree, Tarfful, Chewbacca, a clone scout, an SBD, and 3 B1s. This year's gunship and AT-AP come with Gree, Tarfful, Chewbacca, a clone scout, Yoda, and 4 B1s, and they aren't even new versions of the figures. The AAT driver droids are the only new things in the group. The average kid who gets this set would be exactly as happy with a Felucia or Saleucami-themed set, and the people who care about it would be much happier to get some figures that have either never been made at all or have been languishing for twelve years and look terrible rather than ones that are already widely available.

I hope that the rumored Tantive IV RBR will be System scale - very similar to its former version 10198, but with much more and even much better designed interior and more minifigs.

Btw: Shall the System scale Slave I be an OT version?

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Btw: Shall the System scale Slave I be an OT version?

Just scroll up to the top of this page/bottom of the last page and you’ll find us talking about whether it’ll be from the OT or not...

Edited by Bartybum

9 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I hope that the rumored Tantive IV RBR will be System scale - very similar to its former version 10198, but with much more and even much better designed interior and more minifigs.

There is no Tantive IV rumour, it was speculation in this thread that caught on. This is why the mods don’t allow wish listing.

Just built the Juniors TIE. Absolutely adorable, really like it. Great figures, gorgeous Death Star print. Not sure how much we can talk pricing but while I think £18 is good for a minifig compatible TIE, still not sure how 80 odd pieces equates to £18. Do the large pieces really cost that much more to make? I'd've thought they'd be easier as they're less intricate. Can someone explain why or point me in the right direction where I can find out please?

I love the set though, might get another when it goes on sale.

I also think that, besides they're not really special or exciting ships, the price for both AT-AP and Droid Gunship is way too high and there is nothing else this wave that is of any interest to most people. If these were like €30 and €50 dollar sets of a large wave with desirable ships/builds/figs then probably nobody would have complained. 

I also like the droid gunship, but will wait for a discount before buying it.