Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

15 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Holy crap, those Aussie prices for the IX sets are awful. $45 for the two brickheadz? The last two-packs were only $30. 

It's listed for 29.99 euros on the Belgian, Italian and Luxembourgish S@Hs, what a bloody disgrace! I also see 24.99 euros in Finland — this is totally unjustified!

On a positive note: I went to the Köln Lego Store today and got Kylo's Shuttle; it was smaller than I expected but a good build. Didn't get the Podracer polybag, though :(

Video review of the new 75257 Falcon, with comparison to the 75105 from 2015: LEGO Star Wars 2019 Millennium Falcon review, comparison & more! 75257

I admit to being one of the people who, despite being a Star Wars fan, has complained that Lego has re-hashed its sets too many times.  However, this edition of the Millennium Falcon for the upcoming 2019 "Rise of Skywalker" film, has substantial improvements in (1) Proportions (2) Dorsal panel gaps (3) Build strength and playability.  

The interior is a bit spartan, but the upside is that there is a lot of usable space for owners to add their own features.  

I really didn't like many of the older Falcon sets because of the odd proportions and panel gaps, but this one addresses almost all of my complaints.

$160 is expensive, but not out of the norm for a set that is over 1300 pieces.  JangBricks seems to think that this is the model most people should buy (because the enormous size and price tag of the UCS Millennium Falcon makes it impractical for many fans to buy and display).

48 minutes ago, hagridshut said:

Video review of the new 75257 Falcon, with comparison to the 75105 from 2015: LEGO Star Wars 2019 Millennium Falcon review, comparison & more! 75257

I admit to being one of the people who, despite being a Star Wars fan, has complained that Lego has re-hashed its sets too many times.  However, this edition of the Millennium Falcon for the upcoming 2019 "Rise of Skywalker" film, has substantial improvements in (1) Proportions (2) Dorsal panel gaps (3) Build strength and playability.  

The interior is a bit spartan, but the upside is that there is a lot of usable space for owners to add their own features.  

I really didn't like many of the older Falcon sets because of the odd proportions and panel gaps, but this one addresses almost all of my complaints.

$160 is expensive, but not out of the norm for a set that is over 1300 pieces.  JangBricks seems to think that this is the model most people should buy (because the enormous size and price tag of the UCS Millennium Falcon makes it impractical for many fans to buy and display).

I just finished modding the guns and interior. I was surprised how little of the exterior I had to change to get a more accurate Falcon. 
The only problem I have with this set is the height of the roof/panels, it's way too difficult to close the panels properly while having figures standing up straight. Though that could only be fixed by making the entire model bigger, which also increases the price

Many years back I stopped wanting sets without visible studs.  It is part of the Lego aesthetic.  Some studs make sets better imho.  

Just recently, with the UCS ISD, I came to the realization that some gaps are ok.  

Most sets have small gaps if you look closely.   Some small gaps make sets better.  I don't want studless, seamless sets.  It is part of the Lego aesthetic.

Then we get the new falcon. Some people seem to be ok with gaps on the ISD but not the older falcon models.  It shouldn't go both ways.

At this point, I have embraced the Lego aesthetic.  After close comparison, I have decided that I prefer the older falcon models for a few reasons..  Small gaps don't bother me.  I consider them just part of what makes Lego a medium that I enjoy.

51 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Small gaps don't bother me.  I consider them just part of what makes Lego a medium that I enjoy.

I wouldn't call the gaps between the panels on the older Falcons small gaps, they're so large you can see the interior with ease

1 hour ago, lego the hutt said:

Many years back I stopped wanting sets without visible studs.  It is part of the Lego aesthetic.  Some studs make sets better imho.  

Just recently, with the UCS ISD, I came to the realization that some gaps are ok.  

Most sets have small gaps if you look closely.   Some small gaps make sets better.  I don't want studless, seamless sets.  It is part of the Lego aesthetic.

Then we get the new falcon. Some people seem to be ok with gaps on the ISD but not the older falcon models.  It shouldn't go both ways.

At this point, I have embraced the Lego aesthetic.  After close comparison, I have decided that I prefer the older falcon models for a few reasons..  Small gaps don't bother me.  I consider them just part of what makes Lego a medium that I enjoy.

I wholeheartedly agree. I prefer the older LEGO style of blockier, gap-filled builds. Sure, the improvements make for nice models, but in creating more specialized pieces for efficiency and appeal, sets lose that classic LEGO look. 

And I didn’t grow up during the 70s or 80s. I’ve hardly been alive for the entirety of the Star Wars theme, so I have no attachment to the older, less advanced styles. I just think that they lose a certain LEGO feel. 

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

I wouldn't call the gaps between the panels on the older Falcons small gaps, they're so large you can see the interior with ease

Funny because I just watched Jangs comparison video of the new and old falcons.  (I watched it after I posted the above post).

My comparison of the 2 models before was mostly comparing the top and bottom.  Jang points out how much larger the gaps are in the new falcon on the side.

There are still a couple other things I prefer about the old falcon but as far as gaps go I think, after watching the review, the gaps are pretty similar just in different places.  

In a weird way realizing there are such large gaps on the side of the new falcon makes me like it a little bit more.  Those gaps and imperfections are part of the Lego aesthetic that I enjoy.

Though if you are someone that wants smooth/seamless designs without gaps I'm not sure if the new falcon is any better than the older versions in that respect?

Edited by lego the hutt

39 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Funny because I just watched Jangs comparison video of the new and old falcons.  (I watched it after I posted the above post).

My comparison of the 2 models before was mostly comparing the top and bottom.  Jang points out how much larger the gaps are in the new falcon on the side.

There are still a couple other things I prefer about the old falcon but as far as gaps go I think, after watching the review, the gaps are pretty similar just in different places.  

In a weird way realizing there are such large gaps on the side of the new falcon makes me like it a little bit more.  Those gaps and imperfections are part of the Lego aesthetic that I enjoy.

Though if you are someone that wants smooth/seamless designs without gaps I'm not sure if the new falcon is any better than the older versions in that respect?

I don't mind the gaps the new Falcon still has. It keeps the lego aesthetic (as you said) while also fixing the problem of you being able to see the interior through the exterior, which is the one thing I didn't like about previous iterations of the Falcon besides the slightly inaccurately sized mandibles and cockpit position

Edited by Guyon2002

Fair enough.  Being able to not see into the ship from the top as compared to the sides/front/back could be more important to some.  I see that.

It's close, but there are a couple other factors that make the older models edge out the newer one imho. 

I know you mentioned you dont have a falcon.  It is always easy to be able to purchase a new, rehashed set when you dont have other versions to compare to...and nitpick the little differences about.

Edited by lego the hutt

The mandibles are too thin, the way the mandibles protrude from under the fuselage is wrong and the Tile, Round Corner 2 x 2 Macaroni on the mandibles make me really angry and i'm unsure if i like the bricked engine. Yes, cockpit placement and the width and length of the mandibles is much better, but that's it. Especially with a studdy model, i don't mind the gap. It will eventually end up on my shelf, but not without some modifications.

20 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Fair enough.  Being able to not see into the ship from the top as compared to the sides/front/back could be more important to some.  I see that.

It's close, but there are a couple other factors that make the older models edge out the newer one imho. 

I know you mentioned you dont have a falcon.  It is always easy to be able to purchase a new, rehashed set when you dont have other versions to compare to...and nitpick the little differences about.

I only have the new Falcon, that's true. But I have seen all the other sets in person

On a side note, do we know the name of the planet featured on the back of the Falcon and A-Wing boxes? 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, Aegis2000 said:

I went directly to my local LEGO store, they had the physical bag promo there.

Ah. Thanks

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I only have the new Falcon, that's true. But I have seen all the other sets in person

On a side note, do we know the name of the planet featured on the back of the Falcon and A-Wing boxes? 

We don't know the name, leading many to believe it's an existing forest planet/moon. "coughs in

Spoiler

yavin4 or forest moon of endor

I haven't built my falcon yet, but I did build the mandalorian at-st and promos I got.

The endor promo is great, the box is different so you can open and close it for storing the set (albiet you'd have to remove the trees.). The whole thing is very well done, I especially like the at-sts.

The bb-8 that came out awhile ago was another promo online and personally I don't like it, the head especially just doesn't look lego, but the body is not spherical enough, and it just looks weird as a result.

The raider at-st is one of my new favorite sets ever. It's a very detailed and well-built vehicle, making it well worth the $10 more than the 2016 walker. The figures are great too, the mandalorian especially, and it's nice to get some klatoonians.

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

We can guess that there is a good possibility that it is endor (not the forest moon).  That is the assumption most fans have guessed about the planet in the trailer that is rocky with water where we see the crashed DS.  It would make sense...

5 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

We can guess that there is a good possibility that it is endor (not the forest moon).  That is the assumption most fans have guessed about the planet in the trailer that is rocky with water where we see the crashed DS.  It would make sense...

Endor is a gas giant, so it's not that. I'm guessing it's just an ocean on Endor we haven't seen.

11 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Could be but be careful about thinking non-canon information is factual.

It was confirmed in both canon and legends sources that the planet Endor is a gas giant. It's been established for a long time.

Anyway, I've got to agree with others that the new Falcon looks a ton better without the gaps. Minor gaps aren't bad, but being able to see the interior is and they really hurt the look of the Kessel Run Falcon. I'll still probably pass on it, but old Lando and Boolio are tempting.

56 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Endor is 100%, canonoically confirmed to be a gas giant. People have theorized the forest moon of endor (sometimes called endor to shorten it/because some people don't realize it's a moon and not a planet) could be where we see the crashed DS, or where leia is training rey, but as far as I know you're the first person who's suggested the celestial body containing the death star is a gas giant.

14 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Anyway, I've got to agree with others that the new Falcon looks a ton better without the gaps. Minor gaps aren't bad, but being able to see the interior is and they really hurt the look of the Kessel Run Falcon. I'll still probably pass on it, but old Lando and Boolio are tempting.

I just opened my falcon, and can someone please explain to me what boolio's deal is? You'd assume having a lego figure instead of rose, babu frik, the other knights of ren, etc, he'd have at the very least some information or an image of him somewhere online, but nope. nothing.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Endor is 100%, canonoically confirmed to be a gas giant.  I know you're the first person who's suggested the celestial body containing the death star is a gas giant.

Where is that confirmed?>

Also, maybe you misquoted and meant to reply to someone else?  I suggested no such thing.

Edited by lego the hutt

12 hours ago, Gremer2 said:

Endor is a gas giant, so it's not that. I'm guessing it's just an ocean on Endor we haven't seen.

Personally, I think it could be a moon of Yavin.  Or do we know for sure that it’s DS2?

Edit: Sorry for going off topic.

Also, I cannot believe that Walmart and Amazon have already slashed the prices in the US, and I can’t believe that LEGO is happy, either.  Technically it’s the stores’ prerogative, but no one is going to pay $70 for a Y-Wing if they can buy it for $55, so I suspect the two retail giants will get a sharp slap on the wrist for this.  

Edited by RogueTwo

58 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Personally, I think it could be a moon of Yavin.  Or do we know for sure that it’s DS2?

Edit: Sorry for going off topic.

Also, I cannot believe that Walmart and Amazon have already slashed the prices in the US, and I can’t believe that LEGO is happy, either.  Technically it’s the stores’ prerogative, but no one is going to pay $70 for a Y-Wing if they can buy it for $55, so I suspect the two retail giants will get a sharp slap on the wrist for this.  

The lower priced sets (anything under $100) were similarly discounted at launch at those stores for the last several waves. 

6 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The lower priced sets (anything under $100) were similarly discounted at launch at those stores for the last several waves. 

Okay, fair enough.  I just feel like for the big Force Friday event, the sets are supposed to be overpriced, and so now people are deliberately not buying directly from LEGO and/or Disney.  Personally, I may very well buy the Y-Wing for $55.  Seems way more attractive than $70, somehow, which is odd, because it's only a fifteen dollar difference, but I guess it's a psychological thing.

32 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Okay, fair enough.  I just feel like for the big Force Friday event, the sets are supposed to be overpriced, and so now people are deliberately not buying directly from LEGO and/or Disney.  Personally, I may very well buy the Y-Wing for $55.  Seems way more attractive than $70, somehow, which is odd, because it's only a fifteen dollar difference, but I guess it's a psychological thing.

It's become normal for me not to buy sets directly from lego. I can always get sets at 15% off on release, such a discount is much better than VIP points (which are now pretty much worthless in my eyes). I can't even remember the last time I bought directly from lego, excluding a Bricks and Pieces order a few months ago