Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Guess I’m the only one here who wanted a UCS Star Destroyer that was actually affordable...

Edited by Bartybum

1 hour ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Whatever you smoke, i need some of it :laugh:

What??? Why is it unreasonable? The SSD was $500AUD here and it was UCS. A $500-700AUD ISD is easily within the realms of possibility.

Edited by Bartybum

9 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

What??? Why is it unreasonable? The SSD was $500AUD here and it was UCS. A $500-700AUD ISD is easily within the realms of possibility.

The SSD was $700, same as the original Death Star 10188. A $700AUD UCS ISD wouldn’t come close to the standard set by the last one

40 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The SSD was $700, same as the original Death Star 10188.

Oh jeez, in that case the ones I saw at Kmart must've been on discount :S

40 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

A $700AUD UCS ISD wouldn’t come close to the standard set by the last one

Did some digging, been looking set costs and exchange rates at the time, accounting for inflation:

In 2002, the exchange rate of USD to AUD was 1 to ~1.85, so the original 300USD RRP of the 10030 ISD makes 610AUD inc. 10% GST, or 920AUD in 2019.

Likewise, the German RRP of 300EUR (at a 1 to 1.74 exchange rate in 2002) makes 870AUD in 2019 (if the 300EUR didn't include 20% VAT, ~725AUD if it did).

Furthermore, the British RRP of 250GBP (at a 1 to 2.8 exchange rate in 2002) makes 1170AUD in 2019 (if 250GBP didn't include 20% VAT, ~970AUD if it did).

Quite scattered, but averaging it out I think it's safe to say that you're right and I was wrong, a $700AUD ISD wouldn't compare, especially when they'd want to tank some of that part count into detailing and better structural reinforcement.

My apologies :tongue: I might go eat my foot

That being said, I'd be happy with smaller more affordable UCS capital ships since I'm fine with approximated details as long as the proportions are correct. I don't need each individual support on the shield generators, nor do I need detailed broadside turbolasers. I suppose that's just me.

Edited by Bartybum

Soooo randomly putting this out there, I found out that my LEGO store got there usual shipment from the factory the other day and they said that they already got 12 of the UCS ISD's pre-stocked. They also said they think that they'll probably get another shipment of them to fully prepare for the release. I'm guessing LEGO is expecting the set to sell out pretty fast and unlike the MF release they'll have the set in stock for a little longer haha... 

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

My apologies :tongue: I might go eat my foot

Please not. From everything i've heard about Australia, it might be highly poisonous.

I'm with you, but comparing a 2019 set to ones from 2011 or 2002 doesn't work and if it's just for inflation. New techniques, new parts, higher expectations on the aesthetic side. That $500 rumour was too good to be true from the beginning.

17 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I’m sorry but no. When it comes to display models, bigger = better

I have to disagree. Sure, bigger produces a better spectacle, but the average consumer has limits to the space they can use to display something like this. 

I understand that nobody wants a UCS Star Destroyer to be the size of the UCS Snowspeeder or Y-Wing. That wouldn't be big enough to convey it. But being over a metre long makes it impractical for most people. 

The length of the Saturn V rocket is the perfect length for something like this, I think. It's long enough to be impressive, but still small enough to display using IKEA furniture which it seems most people use for their collections. 

14 minutes ago, nikhkin said:

I have to disagree. Sure, bigger produces a better spectacle, but the average consumer has limits to the space they can use to display something like this. 

I understand that nobody wants a UCS Star Destroyer to be the size of the UCS Snowspeeder or Y-Wing. That wouldn't be big enough to convey it. But being over a metre long makes it impractical for most people. 

The length of the Saturn V rocket is the perfect length for something like this, I think. It's long enough to be impressive, but still small enough to display using IKEA furniture which it seems most people use for their collections. 

So, the size of the original 10030? Before the reveal I was fully expecting it to be the same size as the last one, so having it be bigger was a nice surprise. The last one was fine but I believe its shape was slightly off, and this one has fixed the proportion issues with the extra length? I don't know Star Destoryers well enough to tell. 

I have to look into what IKEA has to offer. At the moment I'm using some modular metal/wooden industrial shelving from Bunnings, they give me plenty of space but no protection from dust. Something like this ISD will easily fit, and if it's too tall I'll just be able to change the height of the shelves so it does. 

Just now, Brikkyy13 said:

So, the size of the original 10030? Before the reveal I was fully expecting it to be the same size as the last one, so having it be bigger was a nice surprise. The last one was fine but I believe its shape was slightly off, and this one has fixed the proportion issues with the extra length? I don't know Star Destoryers well enough to tell. 

Pretty much. I was hoping for the same size, but updated to get more accurate shaping and new greebling. It would sit nicely on top of a Kallax, with just a bit of overhang.

36 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I have to look into what IKEA has to offer. At the moment I'm using some modular metal/wooden industrial shelving from Bunnings, they give me plenty of space but no protection from dust. Something like this ISD will easily fit, and if it's too tall I'll just be able to change the height of the shelves so it does. 

If you want to have it high up on the wall, you'll have to resort to something like the 50cm deep IVAR. The hanging shelves like LACK are not deep enough + i really wouldn't trust them to hold that double whammie. The only other way for using IKEA stuff would be a cabinet minus doors, or on top of a cabinet. IKEA has no other shelves or cabinets which are deeper than 47cm.

Tonight i'll upload some pics of my momentary LACK solution, have to finish some bricking and rearranging first :)

13 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

If you want to have it high up on the wall, you'll have to resort to something like the 50cm deep IVAR. The hanging shelves like LACK are not deep enough + i really wouldn't trust them to hold that double whammie. The only other way for using IKEA stuff would be a cabinet minus doors, or on top of a cabinet. IKEA has no other shelves or cabinets which are deeper than 47cm.

Tonight i'll upload some pics of my momentary LACK solution, have to finish some bricking and rearranging first :)

I went with Ivar shelving 3 years ago and it does the job nicely.

20 minutes ago, Andyperkins said:

I went with Ivar shelving 3 years ago and it does the job nicely.

Absolutely, but IVAR is something not everyone wants to have in their living room.

Glad I’m not the only one who bought/looked into new shelving for the ISD. 

5 hours ago, Evergreen said:

Soooo randomly putting this out there, I found out that my LEGO store got there usual shipment from the factory the other day and they said that they already got 12 of the UCS ISD's pre-stocked. They also said they think that they'll probably get another shipment of them to fully prepare for the release. I'm guessing LEGO is expecting the set to sell out pretty fast and unlike the MF release they'll have the set in stock for a little longer haha... 

Thank the lord. Still getting to my store really early. It’s an hour and a half away from me and that’s too far a drive to go home empty handed for me. Switch and podcasts will make it suck less plus always fun speaking to other collectors. 

Brick Depot posted a speed build of 75252, anyone else seen this?

I'm really liking the interior skeleton, it looks way more robust than 10030. Not so fussed on all the colour vomit, but I guess it helps with the construction process. The three main engines look a little wrong at first, I think the ISD is supposed to have hemispheres, not cones, but the design is growing on me. Looks a nice build overall, certainly not too repetitive or boring.

so with the new UCS set, now we are done with all the new sets for this year... or is there still anything hidden ?

I have this beautiful cedar chest that has the perfect dimensions for this set, so that’s definitely where it’s going

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

7 hours ago, Evergreen said:

I hope so. Between more stock, no black card, worse ppp, less iconic, less hype, not the largest set ever, all of the complaints about the interior, minifigures and studs, and considering it releases on a Wednesday, I'd be surprised if it sells out in a day.

10 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I hope so. Between more stock, no black card, worse ppp, less iconic, less hype, not the largest set ever, all of the complaints about the interior, minifigures and studs, and considering it releases on a Wednesday, I'd be surprised if it sells out in a day.

I’d still put money on the first batch selling out very quickly. I’m sure there are enough fans (and opportunistic flippers) with deep pockets to ensure that. 

Assuming each store gets 20-30 of them in they may not all sell out by store open but I’d bet they’d be gone by the end of the day. I’d say the UCS ISD is definitely a top 5 AFOL desired set. I’m guessing it’ll be the same number of people as the Falcon launch and there were easily 20+ people who went and didn’t get one. Double points may push people over the edge too. 

Edited by Yee

1 hour ago, Yee said:

Assuming each store gets 20-30 of them in they may not all sell out by store open but I’d bet they’d be gone by the end of the day. I’d say the UCS ISD is definitely a top 5 AFOL desired set. I’m guessing it’ll be the same number of people as the Falcon launch and there were easily 20+ people who went and didn’t get one. Double points may push people over the edge too. 

No way there will be more than 10 sets per store. More would create big space problems for those stores, the Star Destroyer isn't the only thing they have to keep in the back

On 9/7/2019 at 6:36 AM, Evergreen said:

7 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

No way there will be more than 10 sets per store. More would create big space problems for those stores, the Star Destroyer isn't the only thing they have to keep in the back

Big space problems only if you don't know how to stack boxes.

Will be interesting to see how quickly it sells. For me the new UCS Falcon certainly had a bigger draw, but even then I didn't rush out to buy it (not that I could anyway, with no LEGO stores in Norway S@H is the only option at launch).

Given that the MF sold out quickly I can imagine someone will try to flip it for a quick profit - can be somewhat of a gamble though.

Just now, LegoFjotten said:

Will be interesting to see how quickly it sells. For me the new UCS Falcon certainly had a bigger draw, but even then I didn't rush out to buy it (not that I could anyway, with no LEGO stores in Norway S@H is the only option at launch).

Given that the MF sold out quickly I can imagine someone will try to flip it for a quick profit - can be somewhat of a gamble though.

The Falcon certainly had more appeal in terms of it being  "the ship" from Star Wars and not just being a big grey triangle, but the Star Destroyer is iconic. It set the scene for the whole trilogy in the opening of A New Hope.

Personally, I would go for a Star Destroyer over the Falcon for my own preference of ship (if I had anywhere to put either of them). However, as a display piece for guests to look at I think the Falcon would draw more interest. 

I don't think it will sell the same numbers as the Falcon, partially due to it not being quite as popular and partially due to people who have already got the Falcon not having space for the ISD as well, but it will still be a big seller.