Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I think the ISD looks good, and the plate style is what I expected. I would have liked it to be a bit bit smoother in areas, and certainly there are mocs out there which looks better (and uses way more parts, so no surprise). Overall I think the designer did a good job, and appreciate them remaking the ISD after all these years.

I will most likely get it at some point, but with no place to display it I'm in no rush.

3 hours ago, Markalus said:

Way smaller than the Falcon? Based on what? It's larger in every dimension by a fair margin. The ISD is 110 x 66 x 44 cm and the Falcon is 83 x 61 x 21 cm.

Based on having 3000 less parts. Size with Lego isn’t just the footprint, it’s the density 

the price is a huge shame, because this is a magnificent set, absolutely beautiful. A monster representation of one of, if not my favourite ships in Star Wars. I will 100% be getting it, just not on day one like I planned. I’ll save for this one I think

Edited by Whovastron

Surprised to see they will be offering double points on release, brings it down to £585 

There is also a designer signing event taking place in London in Sunday the 15th September.

Just now, Whovastron said:

Based on having 3000 less parts. Size with Lego isn’t just the footprint, it’s the density 

It's weight is almost twice that of the older SSD that was only a touch longer. It's an absolute beast. So nothing that's going to be flimsy or less dense than the Falcon. This isn't a build that's 'way smaller' in any way.

Just now, Andyperkins said:

Surprised to see they will be offering double points on release, brings it down to £585 

Where did you say that? 

You're only getting an additional £32.50 as a result of double points. The other £32.50 you'd get whenever you buy it. 

I will say that I think the print of the Technician looks like a downgrade from the previous figure. So much so that the Designer video actually has the older version without the printed arms on the display stand.

5 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

It also has a lot of large pieces. Size in Lego isn't just about piece count, either. 

I feel like comparing ISD MOC's to the UCS set is quite unfair because the ISD MOC's will always be better (assuming they are in the quality like the Aggressor, Monarch, or Jerac's ISD) than what LEGO makes and that is pretty much a fact. I know its easy to compare the two but we should just limit the comparison to the old 10030 ISD rather than MOC's. Besides, we'll be a lot less disappointed when we don't compare to MOC's. 

Anyhow, the set overall looks good. Nothing amazing and I'm glad they were able to make the MK1 ISD instead of a hybrid MK1 & MK2, but the sensor array feature is inaccurate. The designer got confused with the MK1 array with the MK2 array and thought both were the same, but those details are easy to miss even for hardcore fans. The proportions look really good. Turrets look good and impressed it is accurate. Engine section looks bare and basic, but the return of the LBG 4 x 4 barrels is epic! Superstructure and bridge look decent with simple greebling details. The top and bottom parts of the hull is bare, simplistic, and really studdy, but I doubt the designer had enough resources to add decent details. The interior technic structure doesn't seem that impressive since building techniques have evolved over the decade, but I really like how they were able to make the model modular for easy transport and modification. The minifigures are probably the biggest disappointment even though I like the new ranking officer. The crewman doesn't look good even with the extra prints, but I'll just assume the designers for the figures got lazy and cheap. I didn't really expect an interior in the set because of the limitations of building a set and I feel like the designer wouldn't be able to figure out how to put a decent one by himself. It would have been impressive if there was one for sure, if not make the price more appealing. The price at first glance is overpriced, but after looking at the set and reading comments on the price-weight ratio it seems ok of a price, but $650 would be better. Overall, I think this set meets the standard expectations of a UCS set and I don't think this set is terrible nor amazing, just good.

Lets also not forget that this set will most likely come with just ONE sticker! :D

1 hour ago, DWJ2018 said:

Have to say I'm initially disappointed if I'm honest, there is a striking similarity to the original UCS ISD, an homage maybe, but surely this is a missed opportunity to show case newer building styles and techniques, which we have grown accustomed to through the superb MOCs out there, but also looking at the recent UCS Y-Wing, which was brilliant in the way it incorporated various greebling techniques etc. Seems like a retro step to me overall, with the engines and super structure lacking in detail, to the point of being a bit dull, for me. Still, the scale and angles seem very good, and the lack of MF's is of no consequence to me, as I've been collecting these UCS for the last decade or so, and they weren't originally included. Still, I can see it from those that want the reward for splashing out on a set of this cost to have some exclusivity, other than the set itself(?). Best to see it first hand before making up my mind.

I don't think the UCS Y-Wing was that great in greebling. More like a random barrage of pieces placed. 

24 minutes ago, Robianco said:

It's weight is almost twice that of the older SSD that was only a touch longer. It's an absolute beast. So nothing that's going to be flimsy or less dense than the Falcon. This isn't a build that's 'way smaller' in any way.

Okay, I’m clearly mainly referring to the fact that this set has 3000 pieces less than the falcon. To me that makes it smaller. It will be a way shorter build, a lighter set, and just feel like less than the falcon to me. It may have larger pieces, although the falcon does have a lot of large pieces, but it’s still almost a cloud city set smaller than the falcon in terms of value. I am going to get it, but I think pricing it the exact same as the Falcon is disgusting pricing.

Edited by Whovastron

31 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Okay, I’m clearly mainly referring to the fact that this set has 3000 pieces less than the falcon. To me that makes it smaller. It will be a way shorter build, a lighter set, and just feel like less than the falcon to me. It may have larger pieces, although the falcon does have a lot of large pieces, but it’s still almost a cloud city set smaller than the falcon in terms of value. I am going to get it, but I think pricing it the exact same as the Falcon is disgusting pricing.

Weight will be very similar to that of the Falcon. So that means it will feel about the same when you pick it up. Which means that disparity in amount of parts means very little when it comes to the amount of plastic used. Less parts may mean shorter build but then the length of a build has been an indicator of whether something is any good or not before now.

I’m not saying anyone has to like the ISD but I genuinely think they can’t please everybody. The Tantive wasn’t big enough and needed to be more of a display model and less about play space... now this needs an interior and is too expensive (I’d personally hate the bridge being modified to accommodate giant looking figures).

I just think people need to stop quoting decade old ppp ratios or comparing amount of parts rather than weight to give a better idea of ‘value’ for want of a better word.

1 hour ago, nikhkin said:

Where did you say that? 

You're only getting an additional £32.50 as a result of double points. The other £32.50 you'd get whenever you buy it. 

Got an email from Lego stating those that buy it between the 18th and 22nd will get double points and while you would get £32.50 whenever you buy it I was surprised that they would be offering double on day of release so those points along with cashback from the usual places will bring it down to around £550

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Looks like the Correlian shipyards from Solo

That would be an odd MSB, but I wouldn't mind, at least it's not a repeat.

Just now, Andyperkins said:

Got an email from Lego stating those that buy it between the 18th and 22nd will get double points and while you would get £32.50 whenever you buy it I was surprised that they would be offering double on day of release so those points along with cashback from the usual places will bring it down to around £550

I guess that's what I get for not bothering to read the email. Definitely a surprise, but likely because they know they've overstretched on the price and want to have good day 1 sales. 

I hadn't thought about using cashback systems. I typically buy in person from the Lego store. Thanks for the tip. 

Is this double points on launch applicable to those in the US as well, or is it UK only?

Edit - I just got the email that says so; that's great

Edited by legozebra

I love the new destroyer, it's amazing. Time to go rob a bank or something for the $700. It really does look to be worth $700 despite only having the 4786ish pieces.

The minifigures are somewhat disappointing though, the dark gray officer is fine and I like the boots but the second officer is too detailed, if that makes sense. He doesn't really look like he could fit in with the other officer figures, and while the level of detailing is amazing, he won't be cheap on bricklink, so it'd be pretty difficult to amass enough of him to crew anything.

2 hours ago, nikhkin said:

It also has a lot of large pieces. Size in Lego isn't just about piece count, either. 

Yeah, but the falcon did have large pieces too. Let me just say that this is just how I feel about Lego, I would rather get another 7000 piece set for the same price, regardless of the size and weight. I genuinely take the length of builds into account too, and having probably like 4 hours shorter build for this compared to the falcon is a tad disappointing, obviously that’s not a huge gripe, but it still is one for me

1 hour ago, Robianco said:

Weight will be very similar to that of the Falcon. So that means it will feel about the same when you pick it up. Which means that disparity in amount of parts means very little when it comes to the amount of plastic used. Less parts may mean shorter build but then the length of a build has been an indicator of whether something is any good or not before now.

I’m not saying anyone has to like the ISD but I genuinely think they can’t please everybody. The Tantive wasn’t big enough and needed to be more of a display model and less about play space... now this needs an interior and is too expensive (I’d personally hate the bridge being modified to accommodate giant looking figures).

I just think people need to stop quoting decade old ppp ratios or comparing amount of parts rather than weight to give a better idea of ‘value’ for want of a better word.

I never said that the length of the build means something good or bad, it definitely doesn’t. The Helicarrier is a longer build than the Speed Champions Mini, but the latter is a better representation of what it is.

i dunno, I don’t usually quote the whole old PPP like you say, I don’t even think Lego has gotten more expensive over the years, it’s probably actually the cheapest things I collect (try collecting transformers in the UK...) 

i personally don’t care about an interior, the falcons is nice but I don’t exactly use it. Same for the minifigure thing, more would be nice, but this set is about the model, not the figures. Honestly the set is perfect to me, it’s the perfect representation of one of my favourite ships. But I just don’t think I’ll be comfortable paying the same amount for much less than the falcon.

however, as with most D2Cs, I’ll wait on final judgement until I see it instore. I hated the Jurassic Park D2C, but seeing it in store made me want it a lot. I’d never been interested in Ninjago city, but I bought it the day after seeing it instore. 

But yeah, I do like the set, a lot. But whilst price per piece isn’t everything, getting 3000 less for the same price is gonna bug me. But I’ll end up buying it either way so oh well

Really torn with this one. Don't like the gaps, don't like how many visible studs there are, don't like the price, don't like the minifigures, don't like how shaky it looks in the video, and I think they missed a great opportunity to include a little bridge interior. 

Better than the previous one, sure. and the shape is good- but that is an awfully low bar. The MF set a new UCS standard, and to me this just doesn't match it. Plus we have seen so many quality MOC's showing what can be done and it doesn't seem like they took anything from that. Yes the Monarch is 12000 pieces but with all the resources at their disposal I would have expected something.... more refined. It already kind of looks dated. 

Double points helps I guess, and I have been looking forward to this for so long.... It should be possible to MOD some of the surface elements, but the gaps and obvious fragility are really disappointing at this price.

As others have said, its good. Not amazing. Not terrible- just good. Is that enough to buy it? For me probably- barely. Getting and doing some MODs will still be cheaper than investing in a 12000 piece MOC. But I don't think it will be a huge seller. 

Edited by TwoSolitudes

I truly don’t understand how people can justify comparing this to a 12,000-15,000 piece MOC. It’s just not realistic. This is an amazing lego set, comparing it to those MOCs and then saying it sucks is just naive.

2 hours ago, Andyperkins said:

What cashback schemes? And I thought this new VIP system means you had to apply to use your points prior to a purchase and not during it...

17 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I truly don’t understand how people can justify comparing this to a 12,000-15,000 piece MOC. It’s just not realistic. This is an amazing lego set, comparing it to those MOCs and then saying it sucks is just naive.

Its definitely not fair to compare or realistic, but once you have seen an amazing MOC like the Monarch, you cant take it back! And because I have seen it, when you look at the new Devastator, it is a bit of a letdown. That being said,it is definitely cheaper than a MOC, and I think seeing it in person will definitely help. But for people who can only buy or build a single Star Destroyer (which is still a huge $$ investment) the unintentional side affect from the MOC's is everything else is second class.

I feel like this will be on my shelf someday, but I will look at it and feel like I paid $700+ for a great but not amazing set. The MF is amazing, the updated Y-wing was really good. Could have some buyers regret.

1 hour ago, TwoSolitudes said:

Really torn with this one. Don't like the gaps, don't like how many visible studs there are, don't like the price, don't like the minifigures, don't like how shaky it looks in the video, and I think they missed a great opportunity to include a little bridge interior. 

Better than the previous one, sure. and the shape is good- but that is an awfully low bar. The MF set a new UCS standard, and to me this just doesn't match it. Plus we have seen so many quality MOC's showing what can be done and it doesn't seem like they took anything from that. Yes the Monarch is 12000 pieces but with all the resources at their disposal I would have expected something.... more refined. It already kind of looks dated. 

Double points helps I guess, and I have been looking forward to this for so long.... It should be possible to MOD some of the surface elements, but the gaps and obvious fragility are really disappointing at this price.

As others have said, its good. Not amazing. Not terrible- just good. Is that enough to buy it? For me probably- barely. Getting and doing some MODs will still be cheaper than investing in a 12000 piece MOC. But I don't think it will be a huge seller. 

Am I the only one not noticing gaps? There’s the bit at the front and then the centre line. The centre line is unavoidable, so that can’t really be a complaint. But just looking st the rear and the bridge, the shaping and gap filling is amazing 

41 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Exactly. It's pretty obvious that the ISD MOC's will always be better than LEGO sets but there is one difference between the two. Budget. With MOC's you have the piece budget of whatever you want and need whereas the set has a definitive limit on how much parts can be used and at an "affordable" price. I mean I'm still going to pick this up even though I've built the Aggressor and will eventually build the Monarch. 

Right, so I just got the tape measure out to compare the approximate sizes to my Falcon...

and holy heck, there’s no way it can be this big. It doesn’t look that big in the video, but it’s almost 1.5x the length of the falcon, it’s like double the height, and the width of it is only 20cm shy of the length of the Falcon. I’m honestly shocked I doesn’t have more pieces of that size is correct. I honestly cannot fathom a purchasable Lego Set being that big, regardless of piece count. I can’t wait to see this bad boy in real life

12 minutes ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

Its definitely not fair to compare or realistic, but once you have seen an amazing MOC like the Monarch, you cant take it back! And because I have seen it, when you look at the new Devastator, it is a bit of a letdown. That being said,it is definitely cheaper than a MOC, and I think seeing it in person will definitely help. But for people who can only buy or build a single Star Destroyer (which is still a huge $$ investment) the unintentional side affect from the MOC's is everything else is second class...

Good points, all of which I agree with.  Sure, we would all love to have our own copies of the Monarch, etc...but a 12,000 to 15,000 piece magnum opus is a cost and time commitment that most of us cannot or will not undertake.  So for less than half the cost and way less time invested, we can have a beautiful, giant SD of our own (taking up too much space) and maybe polish it up a bit with mods, or not. 

On a separate note, I wonder how much an identical re-release of 10030 would cost in today's dollars.  Might shock me...pesky inflation...slow and insidious.