Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 minute ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Figures are nice for what they are, Imperial officers aren't really all that exciting.

Depends on the officer... I am sure many adult collectors would have loved to get a Daine Jir or any other named officer. A generic officer is indeed rather uninspired, especially as the exclusivity is limited to the rank insignia only.

I think the crewman is even worse. Yes, the new printing is nice, if a bit overdone for my taste, but you cannot use the crewman for any other MOC or set since he'd stick out. And what is the point of having one no-name crewman standing beside the ISD?

It would make sense if named characters would be standing there: "yes, those are the guys from that ship, cool!".

3 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Price per piece ratio is 15c per piece. Gosh.

To be fair, they are big parts, which do cost more, and it is therefore a heavy set. The price-to-weight ratio is actually the same we had with the Falcon. Within the world of (generally overpriced) Lego, the price makes sense.

Ok lets look at price compared to weight because that's what everyone wants to talk about. From here: https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-star-wars-75252-ucs-imperial-star-destroyer/

Falcon weighs 6.9kg, 7541 pieces = avg. part weight 0.915g

Devastator weights 6.0kg, 4784 pieces = avg. part weight  1.254g

Going off those weights, the Devastator weights 13%* less than the Falcon, and costs 12.5% less. So its price is pretty in line with the falcon. And that's only compared to the Falcon, no other sets. Also the average piece in the Devastator is quite a bit larger. 

This all assumes those are accurate weights of course. So $700 isn't quite as terrible as I originally thought, but I think $600 or $650 would have been more reasonable, especially with only two minifigures.  Still probably going to get it because I love Star Destroyers and it looks amazing.  

*Edit: I did my math backwards, it weighs 13% less than the Falcon, not 15%. 

Edited by TheRacker

I am definitely getting this set...but it’s no longer a day 1 buy. £500, I could have dealt with. But £650 for something way smaller than the falcon is ridiculous. 

10 minutes ago, TheRacker said:

Ok lets look at price compared to weight because that's what everyone wants to talk about. From here: https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-star-wars-75252-ucs-imperial-star-destroyer/

Falcon weighs 6.9kg, 7541 pieces = avg. part weight 0.915g

Devastator weights 6.0kg, 4784 pieces = avg. part weight  1.254g

Going off those weights, the Devastator weights 15% less than the Falcon, but cost only 12.5% less. So it is a worse "deal" for volume of lego, but not terribly so. And that's only compared to the Falcon, no other sets. Also the average piece in the Devastator is quite a bit larger. 

This all assumes those are accurate weights of course. So $700 isn't quite as terrible as I originally thought, but I think $600 or $650 would have been more reasonable, especially with only two minifigures.  Still probably going to get it because I love Star Destroyers and it looks amazing.  

Comparing weights vs Australian rrp it actually works out slightly in favour of the Devastator. Naturally the price is still a bitter pill to swallow but price/piece is largely irrelevant here.

For future UCS set Easter egg theorists (and those triggered by those theories) has anyone else noticed the half-built AT-AT on the rear box art?

Just now, Markalus said:

Comparing weights vs Australian rrp it actually works out slightly in favour of the Devastator. Naturally the price is still a bitter pill to swallow but price/piece is largely irrelevant here.

For future UCS set Easter egg theorists (and those triggered by those theories) has anyone else noticed the half-built AT-AT on the rear box art?

Under the tip of the Devastator/Tantive IV? That just looks like an industrial dock/cargo cranes to me.

10 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I am definitely getting this set...but it’s no longer a day 1 buy. £500, I could have dealt with. But £650 for something way smaller than the falcon is ridiculous. 

Way smaller than the Falcon? Based on what? It's larger in every dimension by a fair margin. The ISD is 110 x 66 x 44 cm and the Falcon is 83 x 61 x 21 cm.

*huh*  Wow!  Day 1 purchase for sure.

Granted, all the Star Destroyer MOCs out there may be considered far superior, but I'm looking at the big picture.  Purchasing this set and modifying it to my liking - if that's even necessary - is the most efficient way to acquire this mass of grey parts.  I have zero interest in placing and tracking dozens(?) of Bricklink orders.  Complex and detailed interiors in other builders' MOCs are wonderful to look at online, but they're not a priority for a display piece in my office.  Only 2 figures is a little disappointing, but they look great.  I can't really say the price surprises me.  I passed on 75192 because I just don't like the Falcon as much as the SD.

It seems like this set was tailor made for me, and I'm buying one.  Maybe two eventually.

What I like:

• the modular construction of the outer hull - looks much easier to transport or break down for storage.
  • the dome underneath
  • detail inside the main hangar bay is a nice touch, but ultimately pointless unless you hang it from the ceiling.
  • no magnets!
  • amazingly accurate look to it

I really like reading everyone's reaction, but I think it all comes down to the perceived value - it's different for everyone, yes?

13 minutes ago, TheRacker said:

Under the tip of the Devastator/Tantive IV? That just looks like an industrial dock/cargo cranes to me.

They definitely look like AT-AT legs.

Untitled resized.jpg

Alright, after watching the designer video and the HD pics on the shop, this is pretty much a day one purchase for me, too.

I'm most disappointed by the size of the gap running down the middle of the ship, but compared to 10030, it's not as bad as it could be. It's unrealistic to expect the same level of detail as MOCs made out of 15.000 pieces.

I'm a sucker for huge sets, and this one is massive. I get that the price / part ratio is pretty bad, but I think the real value is in the size and weight of the set, considering how many large plates it uses. All of these negative comments and people saying that they'll wait for a discount give me hope of snagging one on release day. I've never seen 75192 discounted in Canada, so 850CAD / about 650USD is a bullet I'm willing to take for such a beast.

Now, how does one make enough space to accomodate this set?

1 minute ago, Eaglefan344 said:

It's an "OI-CT" which is a heavy crane walker.

Cool. Thanks for the clarification.

Wow!

I have to say, it's visually very attractive and it's size is impressive!
However, I am perfectly pleased with my system scale Star Destroyer, so I won't be purchasing this.
Not even sure if it's worth €700 as well, and I definitely don't have room for it anymore :grin:

The two figures are nice though, especially the new rank of Imperial officer.
Though I find the Imperial crewmember to be overly detailed, which only makes it far less appealing than it's current version to me.

Regards,
Mitch

It's an incredible looking ship and I want it bad, but I'm not willing to bend over 975$ CAN for it. 

Also daily reminder that the Saturn 5 costs 120$ USD and is also a massive set. 

I can't justify the purchase for what they are asking.

600$ Yeah sure, but that's not possible for me.  

10 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

...It's unrealistic to expect the same level of detail as MOCs made out of 15.000 pieces...

^^This.  What would a mass-produced, worldwide release of a 15,000 piece Star Destroyer even cost??

12 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

...All of these negative comments and people saying that they'll wait for a discount give me hope of snagging one on release day...

^^aaannnnd this :laugh:

Very beautiful! One gripe and it is small: i would have liked the imperial officer to have been from ANH, such as the Imperial Navy Commander seen on the Tantive IV, rather than the lieutenant rank only seen in Rebels and ESB. But again, minor gripe.

It looks amazing, but I feel like we're getting shafted in the UK by the price being the same as the Falcon. 

I assume it's Lego adjusting for the assumed plummet in the value of the pound, which sucks. I really want this set but don't think I can justify £650 for it. 

I love the exterior, but I feel like that skeleton structure isn't going to be able to handle all of that after some time... I'm a bit worried now

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

It's an "OI-CT" which is a heavy crane walker.

But its not only that, it also looks like part of a city or buildable area. I still put my bet on a MBS for next year. Havent we Heard something about a wookiee village?

Just now, Sneakguest said:

But its not only that, it also looks like part of a city or buildable area. I still put my bet on a MBS for next year. Havent we Heard something about a wookiee village?

I would imagine the next would be a MBS, but I haven't heard any rumors. It would make sense to do a $200 UCS in May then a MBS in October.

Have to say I'm initially disappointed if I'm honest, there is a striking similarity to the original UCS ISD, an homage maybe, but surely this is a missed opportunity to show case newer building styles and techniques, which we have grown accustomed to through the superb MOCs out there, but also looking at the recent UCS Y-Wing, which was brilliant in the way it incorporated various greebling techniques etc. Seems like a retro step to me overall, with the engines and super structure lacking in detail, to the point of being a bit dull, for me. Still, the scale and angles seem very good, and the lack of MF's is of no consequence to me, as I've been collecting these UCS for the last decade or so, and they weren't originally included. Still, I can see it from those that want the reward for splashing out on a set of this cost to have some exclusivity, other than the set itself(?). Best to see it first hand before making up my mind.

57 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

But its not only that, it also looks like part of a city or buildable area.

Looks like the Correlian shipyards from Solo

5 minutes ago, DWJ2018 said:

opportunity to show case newer building styles and techniques

Internally it'll be totally different. The old one was largely held together using magnets, which are no longer in production. 

Externally, much of it is a smooth surface, but it looks like the detailing on the neck has been updated.