Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

...what?!

its the same price as the Falcon in the UK! Yet 3000 parts less!? What the heck. This was a day one purchase, but I’m gonna need time to come to terms with that price tag, that is ridiculous 

Edited by Whovastron

TBH I'm a little underwhelmed now that the full images are available. I was hoping for more SNOT to differentiate it from the original but that would have massively increased the part count. Still, a very impressive model.

1 minute ago, Whovastron said:

...what?!

its the same price as the Falcon in the UK! Yet 3000 parts less!? What the heck. This was a day one purchase, but I’m gonna need time to come to terms with that price tag, that is ridiculous 

It should be 100€ less than the Falcon (still ridiculous), but we all know who's responsible for the even more ridiculous prices in the UK... ;)

For everyone who has voted against Brexit: I feel sorry for you!

Just now, jhoya said:

Here is the video that completes the teaser from last week. Lego Tweet

Lol. I love that they've trolled the fact that 'space' is the biggest issue here. Bye, bye family photos. 

850CAD? Mmmh... Best scenario was 800, while worst was 900+. I guess you can't win them all. It's a hard pill to swallow, especially when comparing with price/piece, but the model is a behemoth, and I wonder what the price/weight is.

Well i´m a little bit disappointed by the greebling on the superstructure 

Edited by Jzawesak

All right, I've waited until the official reveal to see the pictures and here's what I think:

– it's impressive, most impressive! It captures the ship perfectly in Lego form

– Accurate shaping, though I think too many studs are visible; making it sleeker like the Aggressor MOC would have been preferable, though I guess it would be easy to mod myself (but I won't do it since I keep my models as the designer(s) intended them to be)

– I don't really like the way the cockpit pieces form the engines, but I guess it was the only way to get the right scale — this is something I'll have to judge when I see the model IRL

– nice-looking stand

– the number of figures is extremely disappointing; I was ready to settle for five or six, one of which would be an exclusive Vader or a named officer, especially when you think about the following point

– the price is ridiculously high; I thought the unfavourable PPP might be due to the use of lights or an engine of some kind (cf. Vestas wind turbine), but so far there hasn't been any visible element to justify the price — I'm curious to see the price-to-weigh ratio, which then could decrease my disappointment.

– I'm happy to see that there's no Benelux tax on it (unlike the MF, which cost €849.99 against €799.99 in Germany or France) — at least so far: I think the Benelux pricing for the MF had increased between the announcement and the release :s

– I'll see if I buy this on day 1: I've always wanted to get the old ISD, but the price is a concern, though I have €200 worth of VIP points to redeem — i.e., if the site and coupons work on 18 September.

Loos great so I'll start saving for it. You still can't get the old UCS ISD for less then this so people don't really have much choice on the price.

Lovely.  Not sure if the MF cockpit piece is a cop out or a practical solution for the engines but it doesn’t look bad and is much cleaner than the wheels used on 10030.

Hopefully there is a production run problem and I can pick up a few early to flip for the holidays. This should be in high demand.

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Those discounts don’t happen in the US, and we don’t get Triple points unfortunately.

Well, we haven't had triple points in a few years...but it's possible.  It's happened before.  I can't remember exactly when the last triple points was in the US.  Maybe 2014ish?

3 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Thanks for posting! So no magnets (yay) but not seeing any special pieces to justify the ridiculous price. I’ll still buy it though lol.

I've been waiting for for this set for what seems like forever. 

I'm a bit disappointed with the gaps in the way it is designed considering the price.  

At 1:40 in the video he barely touches the plates and they move.  I doubt those gaps/moveable plates stay symmetrical over time.

Between the gaps and the fact that it seems like it is not a solid build my first impression is not great.  I'll wait to see more consumer reviews later.

Edited by lego the hutt

Looks incredible, but in that video there are a couple points where you can see inside and see the colored bricks. 

I don't have an issue with the price. It's 46" long. Large plates are going to cost more than 1x1 studs.

Yeah, I don't like it. It's a cool model for sure, and I've got nothing but respect for the designer. But I'll build Onecase's Monarch instead.

For me, it has way too many visible studs (which isn't a surprise considering TLG would never try to hide their own trademark), too big gaps, and just can't compare to the bigger and more detailed MOCs out there. Plus IMHO it's kind of a cheap move to only include 2 no-name minifigs in such an expensive set.

13 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Looks incredible, but in that video there are a couple points where you can see inside and see the colored bricks. 

I don't have an issue with the price. It's 46" long. Large plates are going to cost more than 1x1 studs.

You're right. The yellow and red bricks that are clearly visible between the gaps at the rear are jarring once you notice it.

Just now, Markalus said:

You're right. The yellow and red bricks that are clearly visible between the gaps at the rear are jarring once you notice it.

I think the plates on the top section just aren’t put in place all the way, because it’s the same design as the bottom and the norm doesn’t have the same problem. It looks like there’s room to push the plates a little further and cover the colored bricks

My only issue is they didn’t fix the giant gap going down the center. I may have to modify that, but I’ll wait until I have it built to decide

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

That is one hell of a LEGO set. 

Note that the product description confirms that it is indeed the Devastator, if that wasn't obvious from the inclusion of the Tantive IV. Love the fez pieces being used as the cockpit for the Tantive. The mini TIE Fighter is ugly. No idea why the designer has used 1x2 plates instead of 2x2 plates for the wings, or black pieces for the cockpit instead of grey. I l get the idea they were going for but really if they weren't going to put effort into making it look decent it should've just been left out. Figures are nice for what they are, Imperial officers aren't really all that exciting. Sure, everyone has Vader already, but for the price and considering it is his flagship I would've thrown him in for good measure. The price tag tho... the UK really got screwed on this one. I'm glad LEGO has been kind to us in Aus and priced it at $1100 (never thought I'd be thankful for that!). I still haven't decided if this will be a day one purchase or if I will wait. I've wanted the old Star Destroyer for some time, and I do see the price as worth it, but I'm not sure if I want to send LEGO the message that sets like this are okay. Yes, plates cost more and price per piece isn't a valid test of value, but this is too much with the Falcon and Hogwarts either costing the same or less, both with more pieces and both with a more value than this. LEGO needs to rethink something behind the scenes, find a way to cut costs, accept a lower profit margin or get ready to lose customers. It's not just the D2C sets that are priced poorly. 

The designer video is very interesting. Love the way the internal frame looks, but there is definitely room for an interior in there. At the very least there should've been a bridge akin to what was in the SSD. Hell, I would've even accepted standing room for the two included figures like in the Star Destroyer playset from 2006. I would like to think that there isn't an interior because they didn't want to make it more expensive than it already was.

Gripes aside, it's a fantastic display model that will be added to my collection eventually. At 110cm its a full 10cm bigger than the last one, I can't wait for the inevitable photos of the two sets together. 

The build is incredible, from the outside it looks more or less perfect and absolutely fantastic. I love the stand and mini Tantive IV. I also love the box art. Unfortunetly, these are the only things I like about this set tbh.

The minifigures are extremely boring, I like how detailed they are, but two uninteresting figures in a $700 set is nothing compared to twenty-three figures, four droids and one creature in a $500 set (DS). 

The lack of interior is also extremely disappointing, I'm not asking for a full interior with lots of play features, but a little interior with some iconic rooms or scenes is just enough (like MF).

Now it's time to talk about the most outrageous thing about this set - the price. Like what the hell where they thinking? People wanted this set for a long now so we can make it extremely expensive? It's $700 for 4500 pieces. MF, the biggest Lego set ever, was $800 with 3000 pieces more! Even better, for $100 more you got 3000 pieces, nice interior, five minifigs, three creatures and one droid! Price per piece ratio is 15c per piece. Gosh.

So overall, the set itself looks nice, but lack of interior and interesting minifigures, plus an extremely high price makes this set a really bad joke.