Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I'm more excited about the Falcon's better-proportioned mandibles than its gapless exterior! The mandibles on every main release Falcon to date - sans the original 1999 release and the two UCS - have had tiny mandibles. Finally! So excited to see how Lego will continue to improve this new design.

For people who own the previous Rogue One AT-ST, what are the differences between that and the new Mandalorian AT-ST (other than the obvious colour changes)? It looks like the exact same model to me, but I don't own the RO version.

I've just noticed something (sorry if anyone else has already pointed this out): this is the first initial wave of any new film or TV series since Rebels that doesn't include a TIE Fighter variant :wacko:

• TFA: FO Special Forces TIE Fighter
  • RO: TIE Striker
  • TLJ: TIE Silencer
  • Solo: TIE Fighter
  • Resistance: Vonreg's TIE (and the Black Ace, depending on how you look at it)

The TIE Dagger (aka TIE Dorito) would've been cool, maybe in January? :classic:

7 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Ok is it just me or is everyone also wondering why no Leia in this wave? I mean even though Carrie died, Leia is in this movie. And we still haven’t gotten her minifig from TLJ or in this new ep 9 wave. Is ST Leia taboo in merch now?

Not really, we never got her for TLJ and there's still a few characters from this movie we haven't seen as minifigs yet. Remember how long it took to get old Luke? Not to mention Threepio and Artoo, who have both been in all 3 movies but we're just now getting them in a ST-based set, not counting the TFA polybag. Plus, we don't really know how prominent of a role Leia will have, especially since all her scenes will be old footage that wasn't even intended for this movie, or what scenes she would be in. And of course there's the possibility that we won't get her at all, since Lego seems to like leaving a few characters behind from every movie for whatever reason.

47 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I've just noticed something (sorry if anyone else has already pointed this out): this is the first initial wave of any new film or TV series since Rebels that doesn't include a TIE Fighter variant :wacko:

• TFA: FO Special Forces TIE Fighter
  • RO: TIE Striker
  • TLJ: TIE Silencer
  • Solo: TIE Fighter
  • Resistance: Vonreg's TIE (and the Black Ace, depending on how you look at it)

The TIE Dagger (aka TIE Dorito) would've been cool, maybe in January? :classic:

Wouldn’t be surprised!

On another note I’m very excited to see what Lego will treat us with in 2020. More RoS, The Mandalorian and Clone Wars sets will be fantastic. 

This wave is terrific. Any idea the name of the weird Alien in the Falcon is? 

Edited by ArrowBricks

8 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Ok is it just me or is everyone also wondering why no Leia in this wave? I mean even though Carrie died, Leia is in this movie. And we still haven’t gotten her minifig from TLJ or in this new ep 9 wave. Is ST Leia taboo in merch now?

She's already appeared in four new sets this year (Death Star Escape, Tantive IV, Slave I and Vonreg's TIE Fighter). The likelihood of her making a fifth appearance seemed pretty slim to me. Besides as someone else mentioned we don't know the extent of her role yet. For all we know it could be little more than a cameo. Plus despite using old footage they're still digitally altering her appearance with a new costume which may not have been finalized when the sets started development and can still be changed at the last minute like we saw with Rio Durant.

Looking at the pictures of the new sets, I think LEGO Star Wars has just about fizzled out for me. None of the sets really excite me, and It's not because I think the sets are poorly designed or anything, just an overall lack of enthusiasm on my part. There are a few figures I would like but that's about it. :shrug_confused:

18 minutes ago, wesker said:

She's already appeared in four new sets this year (Death Star Escape, Tantive IV, Slave I and Vonreg's TIE Fighter). The likelihood of her making a fifth appearance seemed pretty slim to me. Besides as someone else mentioned we don't know the extent of her role yet. For all we know it could be little more than a cameo. Plus despite using old footage they're still digitally altering her appearance with a new costume which may not have been finalized when the sets started development and can still be changed at the last minute like we saw with Rio Durant.

I actually meant old Leia, so OT version don't count.

Well this is a little disappointing.

I like the Gun Torrent. These sets that focus on smaller scenes from the movies I think are cute little sets that I think are great for the younger audience. I tend to favor location sets over vehicles so maybe that's why I am ok with it. I am surprised its in this wave when it could have just as easily been in the summer 2019 or winter 2020 wave. The AT-ST has new coloured legs. Thats about it as for being diffreint, skip. I have not cared for any of these buildable figures and Yodas's not changing my mind. Though I would perfer him to the Porg. 

Then we get into the ROS sets. 

Just a bunch of vehicles we have gotten before with new colours! I honestly don't want to put too much blame on Lego but more on Disney for just not having any creative designs. That's something I noticed with the other sequels as well. Each first wave is mostly remakes. But then we only really need like 2 or 3 more waves before the film is basicly covered. I just find it sad that there are still plenty of sets from the OT and even the PT that could still be made and yet within like 2 years the sequels are already coverd. The only vehicles that I think have stood out are the First Order Transpor and the Resisastanc Bomber. 

I guess on to the current sets ans not the sequels as a whole I find all these blah. Only one I like is the Paasaana Speeder Chase, because it's the only one that unique. Even then I don't think it's as good as the best sets from the first sequel movies. 

Overall I think this is a sad way for the last Star Wars numbered movie to get sets. Hopefully wave 2 is better, usually is. 

13 minutes ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

Well this is a little disappointing.

I like the Gun Torrent. These sets that focus on smaller scenes from the movies I think are cute little sets that I think are great for the younger audience. I tend to favor location sets over vehicles so maybe that's why I am ok with it. I am surprised its in this wave when it could have just as easily been in the summer 2019 or winter 2020 wave. The AT-ST has new coloured legs. Thats about it as for being diffreint, skip. I have not cared for any of these buildable figures and Yodas's not changing my mind. Though I would perfer him to the Porg. 

Then we get into the ROS sets. 

Just a bunch of vehicles we have gotten before with new colours! I honestly don't want to put too much blame on Lego but more on Disney for just not having any creative designs. That's something I noticed with the other sequels as well. Each first wave is mostly remakes. But then we only really need like 2 or 3 more waves before the film is basicly covered. I just find it sad that there are still plenty of sets from the OT and even the PT that could still be made and yet within like 2 years the sequels are already coverd. The only vehicles that I think have stood out are the First Order Transpor and the Resisastanc Bomber. 

I guess on to the current sets ans not the sequels as a whole I find all these blah. Only one I like is the Paasaana Speeder Chase, because it's the only one that unique. Even then I don't think it's as good as the best sets from the first sequel movies. 

Overall I think this is a sad way for the last Star Wars numbered movie to get sets. Hopefully wave 2 is better, usually is. 

Well, I would say two things. 

Firstly, Lego can only make what Lucasfilm/Disney gives them, I suppose. And Disney took the choice to go 'old school' in the Sequels. Their approach must have worked to some extent because TFA and TLJ got good critical reviews. But it made for boring Lego. 

Secondly, I don't think Lego is making the most of the licence. (Artistically anyway. Maybe they're making heaps of money). The Resistance cartoon (which I don't watch) had some lovely ships out of which Lego somehow ended up making the two most boring. And making them too 'studdy'.

Edited by Retro

50 minutes ago, Retro said:

Well, I would say two things. 

Firstly, Lego can only make what Lucasfilm/Disney gives them, I suppose. And Disney took the choice to go 'old school' in the Sequels. Their approach must have worked to some extent because TFA and TLJ got good critical reviews. But it made for boring Lego. 

Secondly, I don't think Lego is making the most of the licence. (Artistically anyway. Maybe they're making heaps of money). The Resistance cartoon (which I don't watch) had some lovely ships out of which Lego somehow ended up making the two most boring. And making them too 'studdy'.

The problem is a small portion of Star Wars fans watch the cartoon. I would be very frustrated with 2+ sets from it with ships and figures I do not care too much about. 

Lego need to make the most of The Mandalorian and Clone Wars though.

27 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

The problem is a small portion of Star Wars fans watch the cartoon. I would be very frustrated with 2+ sets from it with ships and figures I do not care too much about. 

I actually like the Black Ace. At least, I did until I saw the RRP . . please price the A-Wing reasonably in AUD, it doesn’t need to be more than $50 AUD, $60 at most, Lego . .

And I agree, I can’t wait for more Clone Wars sets. Please give us another Ahsoka minifigure, I’ll buy anything with Ahsoka.

Edited by Feng-huang0296

I think most of the fatigue associated with this wave (another y-wing, a-wing, falcon) can be blamed on the sequel trilogy design team being stuck in nostalgia mode. If nothing else, the prequels had design innovation going for them.

Honestly, I luv the minifigure line up, it is 80 % to My satisfaction which is way better than the TFA and TLJ. The problem is, I dont want the builds at all, they are just repeats of OT stuff I already have. So how to solve this? Whait one year until the Bricklink prices dropp?

13 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

He's on ketamine

Yes, this is the "yoda robs you to fuel his drug addiction" set

13 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Honestly, I luv the minifigure line up, it is 80 % to My satisfaction which is way better than the TFA and TLJ. The problem is, I dont want the builds at all, they are just repeats of OT stuff I already have. So how to solve this? Whait one year until the Bricklink prices dropp?

I'm almost 100% sure we'll see sith trooper in a january battlepack, I've said it a few times already but there's a pattern here.

As for the rest, it depends on which figures. Speeders, a-wing, and maybe the at-st I would just buy because the prices wont drop for a while and those sets are smallish enough where it's not like buying a $170 falcon for the lando.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Agreed, I really want another AT-TE and LAAT/i

Apparently the alien in the Falcon is named Boolio

I've being slowly reading catching up on comments ,agree with most things ,To add in my thoughts ,I'm surprised by the A Wing ,i thought it would be longer ('super A wing ') The Y wing i didn't expect at all ,it was almost like they were redoing the first trilogy if you add in the Falcon ,if there had being a type of Tie fighter in this first wave ,id have being -outta here call me when they have The rise of Skywalker Sets .Kylo's shuttle  i'm totally wanting to know how they get it to move the wings out and in ,the wings are quiet 'heavy'. I'm looking forward to move Mandalorian sets ,hope to see new things we haven't seen before.  I do like the little play sets.

6 hours ago, jd4syth said:

I think most of the fatigue associated with this wave (another y-wing, a-wing, falcon) can be blamed on the sequel trilogy design team being stuck in nostalgia mode. If nothing else, the prequels had design innovation going for them.

Totally agree ,that's what popped straight in my mind when I saw the line up ,only thing missing was a tie of some sort. If they had released Vonreg's fancy improved tie interceptor they would have nailed a Nostalgia line ,can't not mention the post Vader/Palpatine ATST also adds to the nostalgia (I do actually like it ),and Vonreg's tie is one of my fav's sets in last few years (ive being collecting for twenty years )I totally bet the designing team have being scratching at the walls to do a proper Kylo shuttle once everybody realized what source material they had wasn't enough to do it correctly first time round ,so big thumbs up on that one ,and that has the best mini fig line up ,the Mando ATST next best ,i'm always after new alien's ,plus his character is very exciting to the star wars universe of characters  

13 hours ago, Aethersprite said:

I'm more excited about the Falcon's better-proportioned mandibles than its gapless exterior! The mandibles on every main release Falcon to date - sans the original 1999 release and the two UCS - have had tiny mandibles. Finally! So excited to see how Lego will continue to improve this new design.

For people who own the previous Rogue One AT-ST, what are the differences between that and the new Mandalorian AT-ST (other than the obvious colour changes)? It looks like the exact same model to me, but I don't own the RO version.

From what I can see,from the pictures of the new ATST ,the Base Structure/legs ,is very similar to the Last Jedi set (more accurate to the movie ATST) The top section (Head),is very similar ,But I can slight changes to the Rogue one ATST. I'm thinking of getting it to mod the head structure and put it on the legs from the Last Jedi set to make a First order ATST .may get two ,as I do like the new Rusty Looking ATST set as it is.There is a big period of time from when Vader/Palpatines empire fell ,and what happen to all the machines that were left behind ,and what people did with them ,and the power vacuum created until the first order shows up. I like Black Aces tie mod for this reason.A chop shop Tie creation.Looking forward to the next wave. 

11 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

I actually meant old Leia, so OT version don't count.

Vonreg's TIE Fighter did include an old Leia even though the set was based on a cartoon. Other companies like Hot Toys, Hasbro and Funko are also still releasing ST merchandise of her so it shouldn't a taboo subject.

But what I was getting at earlier is that for a character who normally only appears once or twice a year, she has already had an unusually high exposure of set appearances this year and that anymore on top of that (whether its from the OT or ST) just felt a bit unrealistic to me which is why her absence in the new wave wasn't too surprising. And don't forget that even with The Force Awakens she wasn't in the first wave of sets either. We had to wait for the second wave from Winter 2016 for our first minifigure.

8 hours ago, jd4syth said:

That's certainly the case for me, but even the past four Disney movies mixed in new designs with the OT remakes. They gave us sets like Kylo Ren and Krennic's Shuttles, Han and Moloch's Landspeeders, Resistance Bomber, Rey's Speeder, TIE Silencer, First Order Transporter, U-Wing, Imperial Hovertank etc.

The only new thing this new wave has is the Speeder Chase.

2 hours ago, Master Jedi said:

I've being slowly reading catching up on comments ,agree with most things ,To add in my thoughts ,I'm surprised by the A Wing ,i thought it would be longer ('super A wing ') The Y wing i didn't expect at all ,it was almost like they were redoing the first trilogy if you add in the Falcon ,if there had being a type of Tie fighter in this first wave ,id have being -outta here call me when they have The rise of Skywalker Sets .Kylo's shuttle  i'm totally wanting to know how they get it to move the wings out and in ,the wings are quiet 'heavy'. I'm looking forward to move Mandalorian sets ,hope to see new things we haven't seen before.  I do like the little play sets.

There has to be some kind of technic mechanism. The box art shows they can be moved by turning the round engines on the back of the shuttle.

Just watched the new trailer for The Mandalorian. If Lego haven’t got more Mandalorian sets planned I’d be very surprised. I’m excited to see what comes in 2020, it looks like the breathe of fresh air the franchise needs. 

13 minutes ago, Markalus said:

Just watched the new trailer for The Mandalorian. If Lego haven’t got more Mandalorian sets planned I’d be very surprised. I’m excited to see what comes in 2020, it looks like the breathe of fresh air the franchise needs. 

Yeah it looks like an awesome show is coming! I’m pretty sure they will make his ship in a set next wave, doesn’t look like it’s a ginormous vehicle, so 500-600 pcs set maybe?

Death Star cannon: nice looking vignette with good figures. Not for me but I see it doing well. May bricklink Obi-Wan if the hood piece doesn't turn up elsewhere.

A-Wing: Good to finally get a resistance A-Wing, great to see Snap again and to finally get Connix. If the price is right I'll pick it up.

Y-Wing: Glad to see they've kept what worked with the Rogue One version, specifically with the ends of the engines and the bomb dropping feature. Disappointed to see that the detail on the engines is once again a sticker. Love the shaping on the cockpit. Excellent figures as well. Again, sold if the price is right.

Speeders: What's included looks good, great to see more original vehicles and to get Rey and the Jumptrooper in a "cheap" set. I'll wait to see if Rey and the Jumptrooper turn up elsewhere before getting this set. Unfortunately this one is at what is, IMO, the worst pricepoint for the Australian market. The USD price of $40 is fine, but that will almost certainly translate to $90 for us. Even with the shipping cost and included GST that is absolutely appalling. 

AT-ST: Obviously very similar to the Rogue One version. I'm not entirely sure where the extra 100 pieces have gone, but there are quite a few changes in the build. The overall shape is the same but the parts used to produce it have changed. The figures seem good but I would like higher quality pictures, especially of Pedro Pascal's character (that cape :O ). Hopefully his head is something unique, if not a plain black head. Seeing the USD price jump from $40 to $50 is worrying, even with the extra pieces. I think I would've preferred a straight up recolor of the last one just to save the money. The Rogue One and First Order AT-ST were $80 and $90, which again is atrocious. I see LEGO asking $100 for this, which is well over the line of value. I will buy this set eventually as its important that LEGO keeps producing sets for Star Wars content that isn't the movies. 

Yoda: I was hoping for something more in-line with the previous Yoda. I like that this one is based on the prequels rather than the OT, the eyes are very reminiscent of Yoda in the Clone Wars. Like BB-8 and the Porg this will definitely look better in person, I think the trick with this one will be to display it either below or above eye level, not at eye level. From the photos, Yoda looks best in the one that was taken from a slightly elevated angle (the one that shows him with the display plaque). I would've liked to see his mouth represented better too. That said, the shaping on the body is good and the lightsaber is a welcome addition. As far as display models go, this one is solid and I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Kylo Ren's shuttle: I'm one of the few people in the camp that this ship looked better in dark grey rather than black, but I'm glad to see that LEGO listened to our collective feedback. I have the previous version but I will pick this one up too. Excellent figures included, I hope that they turn up elsewhere in the future. Interested to see how the interior compares to the last one, it seems that access to the cockpit has been improved (from what I can see, only one access hatch as opposed to two). The last one could fit all the included figures inside it, I hope the same can be said for this one. Seeing it with the same piece count as the last one yet a higher price is very concerning. I don't think the inflation excuse is valid in this case as keeping the same price point on this one would've resulted in similar profits, especially since LEGO is likely to have cut back on operating expenses in the 4 years since the last one's release. 

Millennium Falcon: Seeing so many figures being exclusive to this set is sad but I understand why LEGO did it. For the most part this is a solid improvement on the 2004 design, such a shame that they had to replace the gaps in the top of the ship with gaps in the engine by using flex tubes. It is still slightly too tall but it's really only noticeable in the area directly above the docking ring. Great set for someone who doesn't have a Falcon, but since I have the 2015, 2018 and UCS versions this is an easy pass for me. 

I'm looking forward to the next UCS and whatever LEGO has in store for us over the next few years in between movies. I hope LEGO continues listening to us and produces some sets and/or updates that we've been asking for. Hopefully in the future this stupid idea of secrecy around future products goes away and we fans can have a more direct line of communication with the designers, perhaps even some form of input in the design process, however minor that may be. I understand why we don't see pictures of new sets until close to release, but I don't understand why we can't be told that the designers are, for example, looking to produce 10 sets for January 2021 and that they'd like our input on what will be produced. 

Overall I agree that this is a solid wave, I love seeing that LEGO has finally listened to the fan's feedback on sets like the Millennium Falcon and Kylo's shuttle. Unfortunately, like with most sets over the last few years the price points are slowly creeping upwards. I don't mind paying a premium for LEGO if the quality is there (looking at you, 75192), but if this trend of smaller sets becoming more expensive continues for much longer LEGO will start to price out their customers, if they haven't already. As touched on above, we're already seeing this in sets like the AT-STs. LEGO should look back to their sets from 10 years ago for inspiration. $30 sets then had the same amount of pieces as $30 sets now yet what was included was much more substantial, bigger models with more play functions. LEGO's design team is incredibly talented and I'm sure they could pull it off.

1 hour ago, benderisgreat said:

Yeah it looks like an awesome show is coming! I’m pretty sure they will make his ship in a set next wave, doesn’t look like it’s a ginormous vehicle, so 500-600 pcs set maybe?

Totally agree about Mandalorian ship (only bringing it up as to explain likely why we have a New ATST now),I think the ATST is very recognizable for anyone who's into stars wars, but if they had made his ship first wave ,I can imagine many people who don't know about the Mandalorian up coming show ,or who may be not able too or too young to watch the TV series wouldn't 'connect' with the ship sitting on the shelf or online Lego.com ,but a ATST totally would stand out regardless that's it's got a rusty/different colour scheme than standard ,I wasn't expecting any Mandalorian sets at all ,so the ATST caught my eye straight away ,before realising it wasn't the Rise of Skywalker set .Great  marketing on Lego's part .Id bet (could be wrong )if  they do the ship it will be lego shop exclusive ,like this years Resistance Tv show sets ,and the Rebel Combact Frigate that had Ahsoka  mini-fig in it a couple years ago.I'm not sure if anyone knows if any of this wave is Shop at home exclusive ? 

I do like the new speeder/skiff ,my only thought was ,since seeing the tenser trailer ,it would have had Poe and Finn and may be C3PO since that is who I see in the trailer ,so was surprised to see Rey instead. regardless I thought two 'hero' characters on it (not a BB8) and two villain's (which they have done) would make the set perfect.Anyway have to wait and see the movie to see how that scene plays out ,and why Rey's in the set.  

The Mandalorian looks really great, finally something different than all the kiddy stuff they've been giving us recently. I totally agree his ship would make for a great set but the AT-ST is a really good choice for a first set, it even appeared in the trailer!