Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

lol. Sorry to be "that guy", but I can't seem to find the image on instagram. Anyone know where it is?

I don't think it was ever on instagram, I heard it was posted somewhere else but then deleted. 

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

I don't think it was ever on instagram, I heard it was posted somewhere else but then deleted. 

I think i saw it on reddit once, don't remember when or by who tho

How did ‘Lego are not doing regional exclusives anymore’ somehow get translated to ‘There might be a 501st Battlepack’?!

4 hours ago, Robianco said:

How did ‘Lego are not doing regional exclusives anymore’ somehow get translated to ‘There might be a 501st Battlepack’?!

I think it is more a case of "LEGO is listening more to what customers want" thing, still I wouldn't hold out to much hope. 

14 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I think it is more a case of "LEGO is listening more to what customers want" thing, still I wouldn't hold out to much hope. 

It's still a case of putting two and two together and getting 17. I also think the issue of regional exclusives such as the bust is far more important than a small campaign for 501st BPs that Lego have already responded to by ruling them out.

Either way it's not something that should end up in a 2019 rumour thread. That's how silly things start.

2 hours ago, Robianco said:

It's still a case of putting two and two together and getting 17. I also think the issue of regional exclusives such as the bust is far more important than a small campaign for 501st BPs that Lego have already responded to by ruling them out.

Either way it's not something that should end up in a 2019 rumour thread. That's how silly things start.

Wait, are you saying TLG at some point officially stated they won't produce a 501st battlepack, ever?

Regards,
Mitch

9 minutes ago, CF Mitch said:

Wait, are you saying TLG at some point officially stated they won't produce a 501st battlepack, ever?

Regards,
Mitch

Their response to the petition was that there are currently no plans for one, but they're impressed by fans' passion. Just an incredibly basic, customer service response.

It's still a huge leap in logic going from "regional exclusives are no longer a thing because people are mad" to "there absolutely will be a 501st battle pack because people want it". That's a massive leap, and the 501st battle pack should just stay out of the thread. There are no rumors, just baseless speculation and reasoning.

4 minutes ago, Gremer2 said:

Their response to the petition was that there are currently no plans for one, but they're impressed by fans' passion. Just an incredibly basic, customer service response.

It's still a huge leap in logic going from "regional exclusives are no longer a thing because people are mad" to "there absolutely will be a 501st battle pack because people want it". That's a massive leap, and the 501st battle pack should just stay out of the thread. There are no rumors, just baseless speculation and reasoning.

No, I get that last part, just was curious regarding the official sounding statement.
So, thanks :thumbup:

Regards,
Mitch

18 hours ago, Reaper said:

dang.

13 hours ago, Robianco said:

To clarify my meaning, I was, as some have guessed, expressing my happiness that lego appears to be listening to AFOLS more. My exact quote, "there's hope for a 501st battlepack yet" was in no way meant to be confirming or even saying there were rumors of one coming out anytime soon, just that it was possible one could happen someday. I in no way was trying to create or imply rumors of a 501st pack.

15 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I in no way was trying to create or imply rumors of a 501st pack.

All reasonable people understand that. But lots of people are total idiots incapable of understanding context, who take literally any mention of something that sounds like an upcoming set as God-given truth. See, for example, the rumored upcoming UCS Star Destroyer, which is based entirely on completely unfounded speculation from this very thread but has been repeated to such a degree that it’s treated as confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

All reasonable people understand that. But lots of people are total idiots incapable of understanding context, who take literally any mention of something that sounds like an upcoming set as God-given truth. See, for example, the rumored upcoming UCS Star Destroyer, which is based entirely on completely unfounded speculation from this very thread but has been repeated to such a degree that it’s treated as confirmed. 

While I agree that wish-listing tends to circulate so much that it eventually becomes rumors which eventually become treated as confirmed fact, in this case it's not entirely "unfounded speculation". The piececount and (rough) price range are known for the next UCS set, which narrows down the list of possibilities considerably. 

I just got the email from Lego for the May 4th promotion. The Hoth micro build GWP has a min. spend of $199 AUD...that’s getting up there. I guess they REALLY want us to purchase the Tantive IV.

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

While I agree that wish-listing tends to circulate so much that it eventually becomes rumors which eventually become treated as confirmed fact, in this case it's not entirely "unfounded speculation". The piececount and (rough) price range are known for the next UCS set, which narrows down the list of possibilities considerably. 

We know it's big, but lots of things are big. The Death Star, SSD, Sandcrawler, etc are all about that size. An AT-AT could also easily be in that range, or they could be making something from the Sequel Trilogy. I'm not trying to criticize anybody; we just need to keep in mind that there isn't any information distinguishing between those or anything else before people get their hearts set on an ISD for Christmas.

3 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

But lots of people...take literally any mention of something that sounds like an upcoming set as God-given truth. 

I was confused as to how my comment spurred an entire page of discussion. It wasn't exactly a force ghost solo, but you're right about people seeming to take speculation as rumors, and rumors as fact. We make our own force ghost solos.

2 hours ago, Markalus said:

I just got the email from Lego for the May 4th promotion. The Hoth micro build GWP has a min. spend of $199 AUD...that’s getting up there. I guess they REALLY want us to purchase the Tantive IV.

I am so very on the fence about it, as I was hoping to use the profits from selling my old republic frigate and that hasn't sold yet, but that GWP moves me closer to the edge. If the GWP had a minifigure, I'd buy it, but right now I'm still not sure.

54 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I am so very on the fence about it, as I was hoping to use the profits from selling my old republic frigate and that hasn't sold yet, but that GWP moves me closer to the edge. If the GWP had a minifigure, I'd buy it, but right now I'm still not sure.

On the fence is how I feel too. If other themes can justify including an exclusive minifig with the microbuild (and I’m going to hazard a guess that Diagon Alley and Avengers Tower were hugely successful promotions for TLG) then I don’t see why SW doesn’t get the same love? As it stands I’ll probably wait until I can get the Tantive IV on deep discount once it shows up in other retail channels. If TLG are truly listening to AFOLs as their press release this week states, then I suspect they suffer selective hearing loss when it comes to Star Wars, based on the number of people I see here and on other forums pleading for the return of the May the fourth minifig.

4 minutes ago, Markalus said:

I suspect they suffer selective hearing loss when it comes to Star Wars, based on the number of people I see here and on other forums pleading for the return of the May the fourth minifig.

I am certain that LEGO has done the surveys and crunched the numbers and determined that these brick-built things are more effective promotions than minifigs by some metric. I just have no idea what that metric is, or where all the people are who prefer a microbuild to an exclusive figure. There has to be some demographic that wants that and doesn't post online about it, or else LEGO wouldn't be marketing to them... printing a new figure is obviously expensive, but surely it isn't so many hundreds of times more so that these microbuild sets are cheaper for LEGO to manufacture.

46 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I am certain that LEGO has done the surveys and crunched the numbers and determined that these brick-built things are more effective promotions than minifigs by some metric. I just have no idea what that metric is, or where all the people are who prefer a microbuild to an exclusive figure. There has to be some demographic that wants that and doesn't post online about it, or else LEGO wouldn't be marketing to them... printing a new figure is obviously expensive, but surely it isn't so many hundreds of times more so that these microbuild sets are cheaper for LEGO to manufacture.

As I said, they’ve included exclusive minifigs with the microbuilds for recent Harry Potter and Marvel promotions so I can’t see it being a cost issue. And surely the cost of including ~200 parts (including increased logistics costs) outweighs the cost of printing on a 3-5 piece minifig. In all three cases the microbuilds have printed non-minifig elements too. I suspect it’s more a case of it’s still economically viable to not include a Star Wars minifig because Star Wars sets sell regardless, particularly with the hype of May 4th and co-offers such as 2x VIP points...and a poster.

Edited by Markalus

I normally don't care one way or the other but it just seems to defy all logic that there is no minifig with that Hoth GWP set, since it has the 20th anniversary boxart. I mean that is the whole deal with those sets an exclusive retro figure, right. 

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

I normally don't care one way or the other but it just seems to defy all logic that there is no minifig with that Hoth GWP set, since it has the 20th anniversary boxart. I mean that is the whole deal with those sets an exclusive retro figure, right. 

Yes and no, there are 20th anniversary polybags and they don't include a minifig, retro or not, and the darth vader bust also has the 20th anniversary packaging and 0 minifig.

I'm the devil's advocate here, because I understand your logic. But from TLG point of view, those are promotional sets, not the 5-sets wave which was released simultaneously with 5 of the most iconic characters of the OT. As someone who did purchase those five sets, I would actually be a bit angry to see a 6th collector retro-minifig released a month later out of the blue in a promotional set.

Anyway, this could just be TLG making sure they still maintain some sens of diversity/creativity/surprise : not everyone would be happy to have a minifig exclusive every single may the fourth, every year, and it's not like this Hoth set is a complete joke.

Edited by AfolFree
bad english :)

So I had to look up what GWP meant....duh. I was expecting a better May the 4th Exclusive. It is not terribly bad, but seem to me it could have been designed better. They could have come up with something else.....like an exclusive mini-figure. Regardless I will be getting a Tantive IV for sure. A buddy of mine picked up a signed copy of the Tantive IV at SWC for me, but that will be staying sealed. If they offer double VIP on all Lego Star Wars....I may pull the trigger on the UCS Falcon...maybe...depends on the what I can sneak past the wife.....

1 hour ago, ISDAvenger said:

So I had to look up what GWP meant....duh. I was expecting a better May the 4th Exclusive. It is not terribly bad, but seem to me it could have been designed better. They could have come up with something else.....like an exclusive mini-figure. Regardless I will be getting a Tantive IV for sure. A buddy of mine picked up a signed copy of the Tantive IV at SWC for me, but that will be staying sealed. If they offer double VIP on all Lego Star Wars....I may pull the trigger on the UCS Falcon...maybe...depends on the what I can sneak past the wife.....

All SW purchases do have double VIP.

20190424_mt4-05_06-2x1-secondary-email_02.png

11 hours ago, Kapowza said:

I really like the little diorama, a random minifig wouldn't improve it from my point of view.

I fail to see how an extra figure would fail to make a set better, especially a free one.

14 hours ago, AfolFree said:

Yes and no, there are 20th anniversary polybags and they don't include a minifig, retro or not, and the darth vader bust also has the 20th anniversary packaging and 0 minifig.

I'm the devil's advocate here, because I understand your logic. But from TLG point of view, those are promotional sets, not the 5-sets wave which was released simultaneously with 5 of the most iconic characters of the OT. As someone who did purchase those five sets, I would actually be a bit angry to see a 6th collector retro-minifig released a month later out of the blue in a promotional set.

Anyway, this could just be TLG making sure they still maintain some sens of diversity/creativity/surprise : not everyone would be happy to have a minifig exclusive every single may the fourth, every year, and it's not like this Hoth set is a complete joke.

Like you, I quite like the hoth set, but we haven't had figures as may the fourth promos for a few years now, so you've sort of disproved your own point, so to speak.

18 hours ago, Markalus said:

I suspect it’s more a case of it’s still economically viable to not include a Star Wars minifig because Star Wars sets sell regardless, particularly with the hype of May 4th and co-offers such as 2x VIP points...and a poster.

A POSTER? I'm buying the tantive IV now. In all seriousness, I have decided upon buying it, but clearly not due to the poster.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Like you, I quite like the hoth set, but we haven't had figures as may the fourth promos for a few years now, so you've sort of disproved your own point, so to speak.

Point taken :) There's still no way this could have included a retro minifig.

48 minutes ago, AfolFree said:

Point taken :) There's still no way this could have included a retro minifig.

As someone else mentioned, mustache man from Lego Star Wars II could've been an option - very retro. Magnificent, isn't he?

Image result for lego star wars mustache man