Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

5 minutes ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Counterexample: Look at the recent Creator Expert Ford Mustang set. There they got it exactly right, so there's really no excuse for what they've done here.

It's unreasonable to compare across themes - the price/part ratio is much better in the Mustang than the Tantive, so one can assume that the licensing fees for Ford are cheaper than for Star Wars. Comparing within the same theme, look at the UCS Slave 1 - stickers galore, and no unique printed pieces (just common control panels from what I can tell). It's a real shame that the cockpit pieces for the Tantive are stickers, but I can't say I'm surprised.

9 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Again, I'd ask what collectors are meant to do once the stickers age and fail.

How long does that take? and how often does it occur? because only 1 of the hundreds of lego sets i have has had it's stickers fall off, and that was due to a terrible sticker job from me

This discussion is slightly going more and more off topic, wonder how long time it's gona take untill the Wolf (read. Stash) gonna bark.

14 minutes ago, Brickwraith said:

How long does that take? and how often does it occur? because only 1 of the hundreds of lego sets i have has had it's stickers fall off, and that was due to a terrible sticker job from me

It takes a while, but it definitely happens. The stickers on my 2002 Republic Gunship are disintegrating, and they've been stored in pretty ideal conditions in a dark closet for that whole time. The dark red stickers seem to be particularly prone to damage, for some reason; they aren't cracking yet on my 2011 Republic Frigate, but they're all peeling off, and several other sets are the same. I'm less worried about the big stickers on the Tantive's cockpit than the smaller ones running down the sides in that regard. The transparent stickers hold up very well in my experience, even after decades. They're just going to be really annoying to apply well in this instance.

7 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

This discussion is slightly going more and more off topic, wonder how long time it's gona take untill the Wolf (read. Stash) gonna bark.

This is discussion directly relevant to a 2019 set, in the 2019 set discussion thread.

I would really like to know what leads to Lego ruling for stickers or printed bricks as I agree it is a shame that a collector's item, which main purpose is to last, has to be afflicted with stickers.

However I can understand that printing the two huge cones on the Tantive IV might be a challenge compared to some brickheadz eyes.

Personally, every UCS I own had its stickers replaced with printed bricks from https://www.steindrucker.com. Of course, it makes it even more expensive, but, you know :grin:

Okay guys, I think we've had enough "sticker vs printing" discussion. It's relevant, but not more than 3 pages worth of relevant. 

38 minutes ago, AfolFree said:

I would really like to know what leads to Lego ruling for stickers or printed bricks as I agree it is a shame that a collector's item, which main purpose is to last, has to be afflicted with stickers.

However I can understand that printing the two huge cones on the Tantive IV might be a challenge compared to some brickheadz eyes.

Personally, every UCS I own had its stickers replaced with printed bricks from https://www.steindrucker.com. Of course, it makes it even more expensive, but, you know :grin:

It's main purpose is a toy though, not a collector's item. 

9 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

It's main purpose is a toy though, not a collector's item. 

In the case of the Tantive IV, yes !
For UCS sets, there is room for debate.

Just now, AfolFree said:

In the case of the Tantive IV, yes !
For UCS sets, there is room for debate.

Yeah I agree for the UCS. I recently rebuilt all my 1999-2003 sets and there wasn't a single sticker. Made them hold up really well.

5 hours ago, Procrastinathan said:

It's unreasonable to compare across themes - the price/part ratio is much better in the Mustang than the Tantive, so one can assume that the licensing fees for Ford are cheaper than for Star Wars.

Yes, and the mustang had no minifigures. Not sure how much of a difference that makes but a torso piece has to be more expensive to produce than your average 2 x 4

2 hours ago, Brickwraith said:

I've never had stickers fall off, with the exception of the stickered torsos they used to do, but I have had worn prints/stickers where the extra detailing is faded.

I really like that tantive IV mini model, I'm gonna try to get one.

For YEARS the two things I've been waiting for are a Tantive IV remake and official Bail Organa minifigure, so 75244 is a definite purchase for me. I've never spent $400 on a LEGO set before, but I think it will be worth it! (Inaccurate cockpit and stickers aside)

I definitely find it strange that they've based the central part of the ship on Revenge of the Sith but the Bail figure is modelled after Rogue One, but either way the figure looks great!

21 minutes ago, Phoenix__Phyre said:

I definitely find it strange that they've based the central part of the ship on Revenge of the Sith but the Bail figure is modelled after Rogue One, but either way the figure looks great!

And the ship in Revenge of the Sith isn't even the Tantive IV. These things happen...

Bail's costume got brought up in an interview with the set designer. The first draft by the graphic designer was originally based on Revenge of the Sith but they decided it made more sense to go with Rogue One instead.

I don't mind either way as I'm just glad we're finally getting a minifigure of the character after all these years.

Great looking set the new Tantive IV! Much of the detailing looks very inspired ;)

5 hours ago, wesker said:

Bail's costume got brought up in an interview with the set designer. The first draft by the graphic designer was originally based on Revenge of the Sith but they decided it made more sense to go with Rogue One instead.

I don't mind either way as I'm just glad we're finally getting a minifigure of the character after all these years.

but unfortunately they left his hair from ep3, and should have used a different one if truly representing rogue one era ...

no fear, it is lego afterall and if you want a better more accurate bail, the percival graves [hp cmf] black with graying temples matches perfectly ... and of course throw on some batman dual molded legs for boots ... one of these years lego will start adding dual molded boots to the star wars line so i can stop doing it myself ...

2 hours ago, Tidy said:

but unfortunately they left his hair from ep3, and should have used a different one if truly representing rogue one era ...

no fear, it is lego afterall and if you want a better more accurate bail, the percival graves [hp cmf] black with graying temples matches perfectly ... and of course throw on some batman dual molded legs for boots ... one of these years lego will start adding dual molded boots to the star wars line so i can stop doing it myself ...

Arm printing would be nice too. That's something we've really only seen in cmfs and, ironically, marvel.

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Arm printing would be nice too. That's something we've really only seen in cmfs and, ironically, marvel.

There are a ton of Star Wars figs with arm printing

Not every minifigure needs arm printing though. Certainly not any of the human characters in the Tantive IV since they all had plain long sleeves with no details in the movies. What would be the point of it?

The only one I can really see a case being made for is C-3PO since it was already done on the Force Awakens figure.

29 minutes ago, wesker said:

Not every minifigure needs arm printing though. Certainly not any of the human characters in the Tantive IV since they all had plain long sleeves with no details in the movies. What would be the point of it?

The only one I can really see a case being made for is C-3PO since it was already done on the Force Awakens figure.

Maybe Bail's metallic gauntlets?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

arm prints for some would be nice for sure, but that bothers me less as Firestar Toys makes a bunch of killer printed arms ... not having dual molded boots on the other hand, since so many sw characters wear them, is a crying shame ... 98% of ones i want and use already exist in one form or another ... i just often times have to erase the prints ... at least the biggest hitter for me [#empire4life], DBG over Black, have no prints, and are pretty common parts ...

39 minutes ago, Ninja of Fire said:

Maybe Bail's metallic gauntlets?

i believe you are confusing the ep 3 bail with the RO bail ...

3 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

A ton? Really? I have most every Star Wars set made in the last 10-15 years and I am hard-pressed to find any in my collection. The few that I can find came in a promotional polybag or a UCS set... definitely the exception to the rule.

2 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

A ton? Really? I have most every Star Wars set made in the last 10-15 years and I am hard-pressed to find any in my collection. The few that I can find came in a promotional polybag or a UCS set... definitely the exception to the rule.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the UCS Boba Fetts, the UCS TIE pilot, and that one Bespin Guard from the 6209 Slave 1. Arm printing is very uncommon in LEGO Star Wars.

Discussing arm printing doesn't below in this thread. It's probably better suited here.

7 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

??? I can only remember c-3po, was there a substantial amount more?

6 hours ago, Tidy said:

arm prints for some would be nice for sure, but that bothers me less as Firestar Toys makes a bunch of killer printed arms ... not having dual molded boots on the other hand, since so many sw characters wear them, is a crying shame ... 98% of ones i want and use already exist in one form or another ... i just often times have to erase the prints ... at least the biggest hitter for me [#empire4life], DBG over Black, have no prints, and are pretty common parts ...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say dual molded boots weren't just as or more important, just that arm printing would also be nice. I try to only use offical lego, so the firestar toys are not something i'm interested in, cool as they look.

Edited by Mandalorianknight