Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

fwiw:

the leia fig does have legs and skirt, so whoever said that would be cool earlier is the winner winner chicken dinner.

Another leaked pic on instagram. Shot of the box, shot of the Tantive from the box (but without the box art), and the six figs included.

So how soon is the press release?

Official images have appeared on Instagram. They're pretty much just clearer pictures of what we can see in the front and the back of the box, showing the play features.

Hothbricks has a neat comparative slide between the two versions. This new one is apparently bigger and I think it looks like its built better. The built-in handle is a nice touch, as moving the original model was very difficult. The fins bother me less now with the inclusion of the handle.

1 minute ago, hachiroku said:

Cockpit pieces are 

I dont see how they could be with the conal slope of the pieces.

It's a perfectly serviceable rendition of the ship for me. The fins look less awkward than I first thought and I'm sure the middle section can be modded to add the Vader corridor fight.

All those on instagram saying disappointed need to realise you are not going to get ucs level details or size at playset prices. 

5 minutes ago, Brickweiser said:

I dont see how they could be with the conal slope of the pieces.

They clearly are.Probably the cone is so big it doesn't affect to the sticker.

Look at this pic from the Hothbricks article:

75244-lego-starwars-tantive-iv_2.jpg

The stickers seem to be several smaller stickers attached to the cone rather that one large sticker which should make them easier to apply. I think they learned their lesson with the x-wing cockpit sticker.

$330 AUD?!? I fail to see why LEGO can’t decide on 300 or 330 as the price point for sets of this size. 

The set looks superb but at that price it’s going to take a really impressive promo for me to get it on May 4th

21 minutes ago, That Orange Thing said:

need to realise you are not going to get ucs level details or size at playset prices. 

But... it is UCS-priced.

Oh, yeah.
I'm definitely getting this set. Price seems to be somewhere between 200 and 220 euros, I find that quite reasonable for a set like this.
It's a good size, looks accurate and has a great minifigure selection. 
Just gotta BL a few extra Rebel Fleet Troopers to go with it :innocent:

Regards,
Mitch

1 minute ago, Graupensuppe said:

But... it is UCS-priced.

Yes, Lego is expensive but that's no huge revelation to members of this forum. A USC version would cost more than this. Look on the bright side, it has at least 3 mini figures that are normally held back for UCS sets.

26 minutes ago, That Orange Thing said:

Yes, Lego is expensive but that's no huge revelation to members of this forum. A USC version would cost more than this. Look on the bright side, it has at least 3 mini figures that are normally held back for UCS sets.

I would prefer a UCS version but this is a very nice system scale version. The price and piece count are consistent with UCS though which is really weird. I guess if they made a Tantive IV that’s the same size and price point as a Y-Wing they would feel weird calling it UCS. I guess it makes sense... I would still rather have a $300-$400 massive UCS Tantive IV though 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

It's gonna be a pass for me. It pains me to spend 270CAD for this when I spent 230CAD for the UCS Slave I, which has more pieces and is (IMO) much more beautiful.

I know the exchange rate from USD to CAD is nearly perfect for the Tantive, but it still feels to me like paying more for less in recent years.

Here's hoping TLG goes all in with the rumored UCS Star Destroyer.

I like it, it's no more nor less what I expected, build wise. I don't buy sets that one cannot play with, so satisfied for that reason as well. It's nice that they include some new figures, however, I wish they actually could give them some Printing. Wish lego would stop with plain legs, it's not like the produce figures with plain torsos no more.

So this thing is not a UCS?   I must need a pay raise or something, because if charging a UCS or modular price for a playset is the new norm, I am in danger of being priced out of this hobby.  Stickers and play features such as the trans-red bolts suggest a collector might not be the target audience after all.  I really want a Tantive IV, and might be willing to save $200, but expect a top notch set for that kind of money.  I guess kid's allowance money has kept up with inflation after all.

It looks like Lego is shifting the pricing of its sets. Larger play sets are now heading towards UCS prices of recent years but scrimping on the piece count. Leaving the door open for "mega" USC to get released with eye watering prices. The falcon and the upcoming Star Destroyer will be proof of that. If people are buying them, it makes good business sense. 

10 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

6 minifigs for a $200 non-UCS is pretty pathetic though. Assault on Hoth was $50 more and had 15 minifigs. 

And almost 300 more pieces...

Tantive IV looks way better than Assault on Hoth, but yeah, it's a pretty meaningful comparison.

Hoping someone puts together a UCS style placard for the new Tantive IV set. Either that, or maybe TLG starts making the original again? Either way, I'm interested.

To paraphrase those saying “what do you expect for a non-UCS set?” I’m not buying the argument. Firstly, fans were expecting a UCS Tantive IV. Yes, they were only rumours but May 4th releases have traditionally been UCS sets and as Lego should know SW fans love tradition! And for anyone saying it’s the best of both worlds as it’s essentially a UCS and an MBS set, just without the labels, then they are deluding themselves. It lacks the accurate detail of a UCS set, just look at the size of that bulbous cockpit. And those cockpit stickers, what a step backwards from the previous non-UCS Tantive IV. If you view it purely as a playset, it has less interior room than the previous version. Does it have the large number of minifigs that would  normally justify an MBS price tag? ...no. But it has Bail Organa and a new skirt piece for Leia. And it absolutely is in UCS/MBS price territory; it costs $330 in Australia, the UCS Slave-1, Tie Fighter, etc were $299. And has anyone else noticed the box art is very UCS/MBS all black premium like and there is a huge blank space along the top strip that would accommodate such a label. Curious.

:sceptic: 

Edited by Markalus

Another minor thing, certainly not a dealbreaker in any case, but where are the Death Star plans?

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

$330 AUD?!? I fail to see why LEGO can’t decide on 300 or 330 as the price point for sets of this size. 

The set looks superb but at that price it’s going to take a really impressive promo for me to get it on May 4th

Probably not worth it either way, the promos go for like $25 - $30 AUD on bricklink, and should only cost like $2 to ship. So it'll probably be cheaper for wait until this shows up in Big W, and buy the polybag separately. It will take an extra 6 months though haha.

Edited by Magmafrost