Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Hulk_Smash said:

Just look at where the legs attach to the body, the left leg is not attached 

I’m not sure what you’re looking at, because they definitely are attached. The left leg is the one to the right of the box, it’s just lifted on the ground, the right leg is just straight.

Yeah, not too into these. The Resistance sets look great for what they are, but I don't follow the show so I don't have much context. The Starkiller Base looks good, but I already have both of the characters in the set, so I'll pass. The Action Attack sets are absolutely tiny for their prices, and would've had some nice builds if not for those garish targets. Overall, not much for me. 

The amount of people here and on other sites that respond to any criticism that people have by saying "yOu HaVe tO kEeP iN mInD tHeSe aRe DeSiGnEd FoR kIdS". is quite annoying. Everyone knows that these sets are designed for kids, you're not revealing some big secret by pointing this out. Just because kids are the main target audience doesn't mean we're not allowed to have opinions on the sets.

2 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I’m not sure what you’re looking at, because they definitely are attached. The left leg is the one to the right of the box, it’s just lifted on the ground, the right leg is just straight.

It just looks like the right leg (left on the box) is attached to the front of the walker to me, might just be a trick of the angle

4 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

What does everyone think of the new Hoth rebel troopers? I think the switch back to dark tan for the legs and helmet makes them too dark. The printing of the white jacket down onto the grey legs on the last iteration wasn't always the best in terms of print thickness, but I think the grey legs with the longer jacket looks more accurate.

I'm not fond of the redesign either. As you said the colors are too dark and not as screen accurate as the previous version. The lack of leg printing also feels like a bit of a downgrade.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet. FBTB has images of 30461 Podracer and 30383 Naboo Starfighter. The latter looks great but the former is ugly as sin, especially near the back.

I'm not sure those base sets are even going to go down well with kids. The big shtick is that they shoot stuff...which you can do with almost every other SW set, except with them you get swooshable system scale fighters, big intimidating walkers and more elaborate playsets. I just think it I'm 10 years old an my mom tells me I can only have one $30 set, those two are going to be at the very bottom of my list in order of preference.

The two resistance fighters are cool I think, even it the Interceptor is a bit to overpowering with the red, there wasn't anything Lego could do about that. A bit like with Rebels, I don't follow the show but I can appreciate them as cool sets and I'd imagine they're are very desirable for people who are fans of the show. I'm might pick one or even both up if I see a good deal, because their MSRPs are way out of range vs my actual interest in them. 

Seeing the shooter sets that just came out, I only have to say that my children liked those ones after showing all to them. It's a different way to use Lego sets and it's nice to have those Lego shooters, that I have only from the Death Star and from the old Imperial Landing Craft.

The Endor one reminds me the Angry Birds play sets, which were very successful by the way.

The minifigs are good and although the detail isn't that great, it's enough for playing. This is something the micro fighters line have, and children like them a lot. 

It all depends on the price point I guess. In any case with Lego, if you don't like anything from a set, you can change it. This is something I have said to my children always: not to stick with what you get, but use your imagination to make it better.

From an AFOL point of view I like the Hoth ones. I don't really mind the move to tan for the legs, as I have older soldiers which have those tan legs, so they fit well with the overall collection of rebels as a different section or whatever. The big one has enough minifigs to play with and the small one even has a better movie-accurate version of the shields than the UCS? one, which is remarkable! :tongue:

Edited by dvogon

11 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Vonreg, Black Ace and Slave I = must buy. Need closer look on the other sets, but the shooters already look interesting. Are those completely new parts or did LEGO use 'em in other lines?

Those shooters have been around for about 15 years. Earliest set I remember getting them in was from 2007 and I know the parts were already a couple years old by then. 

I think the element with the spring dates back to the 1998 Competition subtheme of Technic.  The projectile used at that time had a hemispherical head about three studs wide.  That was replaced by the current projectile in 2007, allowing the shooter to be used in smaller spaces, like the underside of the 2007 Naboo Starfighter.

3 hours ago, Yeow said:

The amount of people here and on other sites that respond to any criticism that people have by saying "yOu HaVe tO kEeP iN mInD tHeSe aRe DeSiGnEd FoR kIdS". is quite annoying. Everyone knows that these sets are designed for kids, you're not revealing some big secret by pointing this out. Just because kids are the main target audience doesn't mean we're not allowed to have opinions on the sets.

1. Nice use of the chicken spongebob meme

2. the point made in that these are designed for kids is that kids will not care if something is a little blocky/disproportionate/etc because the main feature most kids like from lego star wars is swooshability and play value. I am hopeful that with action battle sets play features won't obstruct normal sets as much, because they already would have a specific line of sets that are completely for play value. However, I understand your criticism. I guess I should say it's not so much that it's meant for kids then that it is meant to be played with, so they have to make some sacrifices to get the model to, y'know, explode when hit with a technic cannon. It can be tiring to see people complain so much about something that isn't meant to be there in the first place. These aren't the hoth sets for people who want detailed sets. Those are sets like the 20th snowspeeder, hoth attack, and the full AT-ATs that lego has made. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but you have to remember that you aren't the target audience of sets like this, and therefore cannot expect them to all appeal to you specifically.

I just noticed that the 20th Anniversary Podracer uses some bronze colored Uruk-Hai sword pieces on the sides of the engines. That just made me a lot more excited for that set. I’m actually very surprised the molds for those are still around.

2 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I just noticed that the 20th Anniversary Podracer uses some bronze colored Uruk-Hai sword pieces on the sides of the engines. That just made me a lot more excited for that set. I’m actually very surprised the molds for those are still around.

From what I can tell, that's the same colour for that mould that has been available already in Ninjago City and Bricks and Pieces, but it is nice of LEGO to continue to use it, and in a smaller set this time.

8 hours ago, Yeow said:

for kids is fine, but it does not mean that it have to look cheap and awful... as I stated before

I've being collecting the Lego star wars sets for twenty years now (and being following euro bricks for many years now and this is my first post,decided it was time to join in ), The lego sets have come a long way ,and over all ,a great range of different sets to pick from at the moment .I am a little disappointed they went for tan hats for the Hoth troopers which is the only thing I can 'nick pick'. I really  shouldn't complain .I  do remember how long it took them to make a rebel trooper of any kind in the first place and Tauntauns ,

I've being collecting the Lego star wars sets for twenty years now (and being following euro bricks for many years now and this is my first post,decided it was time to join in ), The lego sets have come a long way ,and over all ,a great range of different sets to pick from at the moment .I am a little disappointed they went for tan hats for the Hoth troopersis my only thing I can 'nick pick' .so i shouldn't complain .I also do remember how long it took them to make a rebel trooper of any kind in the first place and Tauntauns ,

Edited by Master Jedi

8 hours ago, wesker said:

I'm not fond of the redesign either. As you said the colors are too dark and not as screen accurate as the previous version. The lack of leg printing also feels like a bit of a downgrade.

Maybe. But I'm not sure if TLG is free to choose the colours.

As you can see, the new colour scheme roughly resembles the current colour scheme of the the Hoth rebel trooper from the Hasbro Vintage Collection. That may be a coincidence. On the other hand, it may be not :)

I am really liking the the Tie 'red' interceptor (even thou i haven't watched  any of the resistance TV show so I don't know much about it, and had being wanting for Tie interceptor ,but now like this new one/type )Ps I did watch all the Rebels show and loved the tie advanced prototype. I think the star killer base set is too little too late and an after thought ,but has a great new head print.I have liked seeing the development of the location sets over the years ,my first set I brought twenty years ago was a location set   (Gungan swamp,if Jar Jar had being a 'fan favourite ,i'm sure we would have had new Gungan swamp set by now ,so I should be thankful for star killer base)

I actually like that they keep changing up the Rebel troopers. They ought to be ragtag, and this makes them better contrast with the Imperials (which still look quite good even with lots of both the old and new style snowtroopers). Some individual ones will look better than others, sure, but that's pretty accurately reflective of the variation in uniforms seen in the movies.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

but you have to remember that you aren't the target audience of sets like this, and therefore cannot expect them to all appeal to you specifically.

It's like you didn't even read what I said and are just regurgitating the same argument I was complaining about. I'm quite aware Lego designers do not have AFOLs in mind, it has no bearing on my opinion of the set.

Well I’m actually slightly more impressed by the unveiling of these remaining sets. A few thoughts...

1. Glad the Scout Trooper comes with such a small set, makes him nice and affordable (and hopefully very bricklinkable!), and the mini speeder looks perfect for stowing in one of our Conveyex carriages.

2. If those imperial logo tiles from the battle sets are printed, I could find some solid use for them I think.

3. Vonregs TIE isn’t as garish as I was expecting, would prefer classic colours but doesn’t look too bad. Cockpits a bit blocky though, needs modding.

4. Vonregs TIE comes with a new oldschool rebel pilot helmet. ? will give the droid Chopper legs and a new head.

5. Black Ace has more detail to the front plates than I was expecting them to give it. Still needs some modding but am happy to see it’s not ugly raw plates everywhere. The print to the pilot is a bit simple and Rebels-like but the helmet can go on a proper custom TIE pilot.

Overall think I may get both TIEs and maybe a scout battle pack until the trooper figure becomes widely available... when the prices come down (as usual).

Always happy with new prints of classic OT helmets!

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

1 hour ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

2. If those imperial logo tiles from the battle sets are printed, I could find some solid use for them I think.

They are printed.

8 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

From what I can tell, that's the same colour for that mould that has been available already in Ninjago City and Bricks and Pieces, but it is nice of LEGO to continue to use it, and in a smaller set this time.

I haven’t really paid much attention to Ninjago sets so I didn’t know that, but it’s pretty nice looking in that color