Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Although I like the sets, they don't feel like 20th anniversary sets to me (besides the exclusive figures). Only the remake of the fan favorite dropship feels like a celebration but the remaining ones are all kinda like regular sets. I can't help but wish that LEGO went all out for the anniversary with truly special sets that celebrated all eras of Lego star wars. Or even more remakes or throwbacks to old fan favourites, jedi bob anyone? :laugh_hard: Still going to pick them up ofcourse, they're still great sets, but nothing that screams 20th anniversary.

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm here not as a Lego Star Wars fan - indeed, I try to avoid all but the must-have Star Wars sets because I've experienced them to be worse value compared to other sets. 

So, these 'legacy' minifigures confuse me a bit, both in terms of their placement into such random sets and . . do these have, like, MASSIVE appeal to Star Wars collectors? Because it seems very unlike Lego to put these figures that are obviously just collectables into sets that, as far as I can see, are just another wave of Star Wars sets. Like they were shoehorned in at the last minute. Does anyone know what's going on?

They appeal to nostalgia, when figures had yellow skin before 2005 in the Star Wars line. They have special printing on the back of their torsos but that's really it. Certain figures like Lando could certainly be more worthwhile, but the rest really aren't special and don't appeal to me as a collector. I can't speak to their random inclusion in sets.

Edited by TWRAddict

2 hours ago, Tariq j said:

The Slave looks excellent :thumbup:. It utilises the techniques of the UCS version only at a smaller scale.

Hard agree here - UCS contours, playset size, excellent minifigures - big success for TLG. And, as you mentioned, the podracer. I'm in love :wub:

14 minutes ago, Brickweiser said:

I have a whole pilot squadron of smirking imbeciles.

?

Yep. The Rebel squadron feel more like clones than the actual clones lol.

Edited by BacktoBricks

These sets don't feel like 20th anniversary sets but that doesn't mean they're not solid. Reminds me of when Lego Star Wars was good-some solid sets here. 

The Slave One is very good-figures are good too. 

The Snowspeeder is probably the worst-not because it's bad just nothing new here...old helmets too. 

The Scout Walker honestly had the makings to be one of the best sets in recent years-colour scheme is great and small builds are nice features. BUT Lego why is there no At-Rt driver here? It makes so much sense in a 20th anniversary to provide us with a new figure like Zuckuss. 

The Podracer is really good too! Good job Lego. 

The nostalgia with the Dropship...wow. Good set for sure. 

Overall could have been a great wave just with a few minor tweaks as stated. Cheap sets on the whole for some anniversary figures too. 

The Slave I is very pretty, but there's no way I'm dropping $160 on it when I just finally caved on the UCS version and I have 8097. It might have been a different story if it were Jango's, but oh well. I might just be the dropship for me, although I somehow don't have a snowspeeder yet....

Great money-saving news for me with the new leaks!

Slave 1 - gorgeous, buying it!!!

Snowspeeder - no interest, looks exactly the same; no new canopy, no new helmets, but will make the 4+ double sided new Luke face more readily available so I can have all but one of my OT pilots with completely unique faces... and if I gave in and used the 2012 face, they'd all be unique, but still holding out for another unique more stylised modern print.

Imperial Dropship - don't like the shadow trooper, don't need the rinky dinky ship and don't really need anymore stormies. But they are the 2014 variant, so if it goes cheap, may use it as a battle pack if we need more troopers for anything.

AT-RT - already got the blue one and this looks nearly identical, which I made black and grey and made it Imperial anyway. No interest in this, we don't collect prequel stuff.

Podracer - no interest

20th Anniversary Figures - again, no interest

So although it's disappointing in one respect, my wallet rejoices and looking forward to Slave 1 immensely!

Obviously until unveiled the jury's still out on the two new TIE fighters from Resistance... don't really want an interceptor in bright red, and although the Black Ace is sleek on screen, given the low price and piece count, I'm thoroughly expecting the front wings to be flimsy, unfinished-looking, ugly, studded plates. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong though. If proven right, I'll just ignore it and Bricklink the helmet for an imaginary elite pilot in our TIE squadron.

Most looking forward to the new figures from these action sets anyway, doubt we'll buy the sets unless they buildings have some good usage to them, but the Scout Troopers alone will be worth seeking out in multiples!

I don't have Slave I so I'll definitely be getting it, looks great. Unfortunately I'm now compelled to collect all the anniversary figures so I'll probably wait for sales on the rest.

Ill be grabbing a bunch of the dropships, gotta build that army ;) snowspeeder colours look great. But did anyone notice that the green on the AT-RT is the wrong green ?

8 minutes ago, ARIEL-1970 said:

Ill be grabbing a bunch of the dropships, gotta build that army ;) snowspeeder colours look great. But did anyone notice that the green on the AT-RT is the wrong green ?

I guess recolouring all those pieces in olive green wasn't in the budget. 

Still; I think I'll get the Podracer and AT-RT sets, because I always liked Podracers and this is the first time one's been available while I'm interested, and also because I want to build a little statue display in my layout of Luke and Darth Vader fighting. (Which I know technically never happened while Luke was in that pilot suit but whatever.) And then I'll either find something to do with the builds from AT-RT or scrap them for parts. 

And, more than likely, that'll be my Star Wars quota for 2019 filled! XD

Also, can anyone tell if the clone driver minifigure in the AT-RT is identical to the one in this year's AT-TP? It looks like it is, and I wanted those legs for a MOC, so if it is it'll save me some money. 

I absolutely love Padme’s new hair piece. I’ll only get the Snowspeeder for Lando and the rebel Trooper. I’ll probably have to pass on the Slave I because of the price and lack of appeal to me due to ha I gotta the UCS. I’ll get Zuckuss on the secondary market. I’ll probably get two imperial dropships if not more, I wish it was cheaper though. And I love the AT-RT, although I would have preferred an AT-RT driver or an ARF Trooper rather than another regular Kashyyyk Trooper. The AT-RT itself is spectacular.

I think Lando should have been with the Slave 1.

Anyway, the sets look tempting. Especially the Boba ship. I do have some of the old ones so i am not really sure what to do with those. I think the concept is funny, but isn’t SW doing this for years already (all the rehashes x-D)

I was kinda expecting a more substantial build for the dropship, considering the higher price and piececount, it uses a lot of the same techniques, just some updated pieces and colours. It’s nice, just now what I hoped for.

@Daddy_Stardust the stories aren’t the 2014 variant, they have the 2018 helmets

42 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I'm here not as a Lego Star Wars fan - indeed, I try to avoid all but the must-have Star Wars sets because I've experienced them to be worse value compared to other sets. 

So, these 'legacy' minifigures confuse me a bit, both in terms of their placement into such random sets and . . do these have, like, MASSIVE appeal to Star Wars collectors? Because it seems very unlike Lego to put these figures that are obviously just collectables into sets that, as far as I can see, are just another wave of Star Wars sets. Like they were shoehorned in at the last minute. Does anyone know what's going on?

Not really. And these aren't the originals either, as they will have back printing on them. So they cannot be used with current figures and the yellow skin for white people just looks odd these days. I traded out all my old yellow ones for modern equivalents. It also stirs up the whole LEGO is racist debate of years past again as they are now reminding everyone that yellow means white skin. They have reinterpreted the sets of the past (although not all are 1999 sets) so they should have done the same with the minifigures and given a few nice variations on the vintage ones with normal skin colours.

They will be collectables as they are collectables. Just not really very appealing given they are so different to the almost as old view of using skin tones.

I don't think much thought was put into what sets they go into. It seems fairly random.

Just now, Renegade Clone said:

Interesting that LEGO has seemingly dropped the dual-molded rebel pilot helmets and returned to the original design :)

New helmet wouldnt fit in the snowspeeder anyways. Its a lack of foresight moment for the designer. 

Padmé is using the medium short legs :-)

Can we still expect a 20 years anniversary c3-po, r2-d2, yoda, chewbacca and ben obi wan kenobi?

23 minutes ago, MAB said:

I don't think much thought was put into what sets they go into. It seems fairly random.

I think they planned it perfectly - I am very keen to have the Lando figure, but I would feel ambivalent about purchasing the snowspeeder were it not for that figure's inclusion.

Just now, Borex said:

Can we still expect a 20 years anniversary c3-po, r2-d2, yoda, chewbacca and ben obi wan kenobi?

No. There haven't been any rumors of any of those and these are the only anniversary sets.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

28 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

I was kinda expecting a more substantial build for the dropship, considering the higher price and piececount, it uses a lot of the same techniques, just some updated pieces and colours. It’s nice, just now what I hoped for.

@Daddy_Stardust the stories aren’t the 2014 variant, they have the 2018 helmets

Ahhh so they are, was a more flattering angle than usual. 

I didn't notice these were actually on Brickset in big versions, I was looking on the instagram leaks page and couldn't increase their size from small thumbnails!

The sets look good.  Extremely disappointed we got ANOTHER OT Slave 1 and still no Jango’s.  It is clearly the best rendition of the ship so far though not including UCS.

Have to say, I was most excited for the AT-RT, but am starting to feel cheated that LEGO refuses to give us an AT-RT Driver.  I was seriously planning on buying an excessive amount of this set as I had much higher hopes.

- The color scheme (green) is wrong, and now doesn’t match any of the other Kashyyyk sets.

- The design is a straight copy of the old 501st version which was again TOO BIG (come on, this was the strongest criticism of the last AT-RT, it’s not supposed to be as tall as the Juggernaught).

- ANOTHER standard Kashyyyk Scout Trooper.  Come on.  Why don’t PT fans deserve the same appreciation OT fans are getting with Zuckuss?  Aside from that, it’s so overdue...  This was the set to do it.  Now I’m sure we’ll never get one and it’s just a shame.

The only thing I really like about the set is that we finally got Lego’s official version of the Wookiee gun emplacements from the battle.  Admittedly wasn’t expecting that and am happy about it, but it’s such a waste that’s the only thing I like about this set.

Edited by Skyhammer

Just now, Skyhammer said:

ANOTHER standard Kashyyyk Scout Trooper.  Come on.  Why don’t PT fans deserve the same appreciation OT fans are getting with Zuckuss?  Aside from that, it’s so overdue...  This was the set to do it.  Now I’m sure we’ll never get one and it’s just a shame

Because Zuckess is a character that has had a noticeable absence, the majority of fans won't notice the difference between the scout trooper and the driver.

Just now, Brickwraith said:

Because Zuckess is a character that has had a noticeable absence, the majority of fans won't notice the difference between the scout trooper and the driver.

True, I’ll admit that.  Although they arguably receive the same amount of screen time (5 seconds) ha ha.

Just now, Skyhammer said:

True, I’ll admit that.  Although they arguably receive the same amount of screen time (5 seconds) ha ha.

Very true!