Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Considering this re-issue of the Resistance Bomber with Finch Dallow, it's a great shame that TLG didn't correct Grand Admiral Thrawn's rank insignia from 75170. However, that set probably never received a second production run! 

Edited by Renegade Clone

Just now, Renegade Clone said:

Considering this re-issue of the Resistance Bomber with Finch Dallow, it's a great shame that TLG didn't correct Admiral Thrawn from 75170. However, that set probably never received a second production run! 

What was wrong with Thrawn? I thought he was a great figure

13 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

What was wrong with Thrawn? I thought he was a great figure

He had the incorrect rank insignia, which I believe was due to LEGO basing him on concept art.

an accurate grand admiral rank plaque would be amazing to get. so would an accurate piett and about 42 other officers.

Word from LEGO regarding the Resistance Bomber: "When we develop LEGO sets based on movies, we aspire to make minifigures and models that reflect the iconic characters and scenes in the film. For this reason our products are most often developed by LEGO designers using reference material from the specific movies --still images, sketches, as well as the actual movies as inspiration. We developed the LEGO Star Wars Resistance Bomber set (75188), based on "The Last Jedi" movie and discovered after the film was released that one of the LEGO minifigures in the set doesn't reflect the movie scene properly. As a result we decided to adjust the set accordingly, true to our motto: "Only the best is good enough". We hope Star Wars fans across the world appreciate this attention to details."

Just now, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Word from LEGO regarding the Resistance Bomber: "When we develop LEGO sets based on movies, we aspire to make minifigures and models that reflect the iconic characters and scenes in the film. For this reason our products are most often developed by LEGO designers using reference material from the specific movies --still images, sketches, as well as the actual movies as inspiration. We developed the LEGO Star Wars Resistance Bomber set (75188), based on "The Last Jedi" movie and discovered after the film was released that one of the LEGO minifigures in the set doesn't reflect the movie scene properly. As a result we decided to adjust the set accordingly, true to our motto: "Only the best is good enough". We hope Star Wars fans across the world appreciate this attention to details."

I don't buy it considering how many other inconsistencies Lego sets have had in the past based on concept art. Heck, the original Ant-Man movie came out back in 2015 and he still uses an inaccurate helmet mold from that movie's concept art.

Just now, BigGuy4U said:

I don't buy it considering how many other inconsistencies Lego sets have had in the past based on concept art. Heck, the original Ant-Man movie came out back in 2015 and he still uses an inaccurate helmet mold from that movie's concept art.

Also, why so late in the run. Really hope he pops up in an advent calender or something, but that's unlikely. Just wish we knew how common or not he is. 

Just now, BigGuy4U said:

LEGO's motives are almost always inscrutable. We don't know why they make any of the choices they do, other than in the general sense that somebody in their hierarchy determined that it would be a good use of resources on the basis of criteria that aren't available to anyone on the outside. This was a much easier change to make than producing a new mold; if LEGO says they did it for consistency reasons I don't think we have any grounds to dispute it, especially since having the entire wrong character is a somewhat larger deal than just having the costume slightly (or even substantially) incorrect. Plus, replacing a named black character with a generic white character isn't a very good look, and LEGO seems to care about such things...

There was a Finch Dallow for sale on eBay for the longest time for like $10 but I never bought it because I figured it would be in a set. Now it’s not there anymore and once people start to sell them, they will jack up the prices. The whole situation is very unfortunate 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Oh, that's a good explanation of the perceived behaviour. However, after checking it, I got the original minifig, so I have no other option than getting the new character in the secondary market. I don't want to buy another bomber just for a single minifig... :hmpf_bad:

If that's the reason, a wise move from Lego would be to let buyers of the same set to get the minifig without scalpers, but this is something I have actually very few expectations to become real, sigh!

Edited by dvogon

I think the best option would have been to release the minifig both in the updated set as well as in a polybag, so people who buy the set right now get the correct pilot and people who already bought the set don’t miss out on the minifig :sweet: Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case though... 

34 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

There was a Finch Dallow for sale on eBay for the longest time for like $10 but I never bought it because I figured it would be in a set. Now it’s not there anymore and once people start to sell them, they will jack up the prices. The whole situation is very unfortunate 

one on ebay just sold for 156 GBP ... that is not a typo ...

Just now, Tidy said:

LEGO fans are the stupidest people on the planet, sometimes.

Is there any news out of London Toy Fair? Apparently LEGO is there this year but there’s nothing on the main floor, it’s all in a separate area. 

Just now, Tidy said:

That's exactly what is weird about this strange Lego move... Almost everybody that wanted the set already had one (or many) without the benefits of "Only the best is good enough" :wacko:

Sorry to say that, but "We hope Star Wars fans across the world appreciate this attention to details" might not be the best hope in the event of doing it so late, without any way to bring previous buyers onboard somehow without scalpers.

I’m sure there will be a mad rush to get those updated Bomber sets from now until it’s officially discontinued and then the figure will be in more and more hands and his value will eventually go down when the hype is subsided and that’s when I’ll snag one on eBay. 

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

LEGO's motives are almost always inscrutable. We don't know why they make any of the choices they do, other than in the general sense that somebody in their hierarchy determined that it would be a good use of resources on the basis of criteria that aren't available to anyone on the outside. This was a much easier change to make than producing a new mold; if LEGO says they did it for consistency reasons I don't think we have any grounds to dispute it, especially since having the entire wrong character is a somewhat larger deal than just having the costume slightly (or even substantially) incorrect. Plus, replacing a named black character with a generic white character isn't a very good look, and LEGO seems to care about such things...

From what I recall though, he's still referred to as Resistance Pilot or something similarly generic on the box. Why replace one generic unnamed pilot based on a background character with another?

56 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

From what I recall though, he's still referred to as Resistance Pilot or something similarly generic on the box. Why replace one generic unnamed pilot based on a background character with another?

I dunno. Finch Dallow is at least in the movie, and has a name and actor, even if the box doesn't say that; tons of the pilots are sold as 'X-Wing Pilot' or 'Rebel Pilot' or whatever even when the character has a name. I haven't found any source for the figure in the original set, though--I don't think that character design even made it into the movie. If it did, it's somebody way back in the background who doesn't have a name at all.

2 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I dunno. Finch Dallow is at least in the movie, and has a name and actor, even if the box doesn't say that; tons of the pilots are sold as 'X-Wing Pilot' or 'Rebel Pilot' or whatever even when the character has a name. I haven't found any source for the figure in the original set, though--I don't think that character design even made it into the movie. If it did, it's somebody way back in the background who doesn't have a name at all.

The other guy is in the movie. The footage used appeared to be mirrored so his helmet design looks opposite to the lego figure. He appears briefly when the TIE fighter approach the bombers. Unfortunately, I can't find a screenshot of him.

17 minutes ago, Brickweiser said:

The other guy is in the movie. The footage used appeared to be mirrored so his helmet design looks opposite to the lego figure. He appears briefly when the TIE fighter approach the bombers. Unfortunately, I can't find a screenshot of him.

Are you sure? This is a really nice clip of the bomber battle, for reference. I can't find him. There's a guy with a yellow crest on his helmet at 2:30, who might be who you're thinking of, but he doesn't have the writing across the crest that the minifigure does, besides the crest being on the wrong side. I can't promise that the minifigure guy isn't somewhere in the background on D'Qar or the Raddus, but I don't think he's on a bomber.

PLEASE READ

I called LEGO Customer Service and explained the situation of the Finch Dallow minifigure.  I explained how I had purchased the Resistance Bomber in November 2017, and how I found out via a LEGO fan forum and social media about the inexplicable switch of figures.  The very kind customer service representative said that she had never heard of the issue, but she quickly verified it online.  She then offered to send me the Finch Dallow minifigure pieces for free (supposedly they will arrive in a week or so).  I should say that I live in the United States, and I have no idea how many other calls LEGO Customer Service has received in any given territory since then, but it seems like they really took my concern seriously.  I told them that I was disappointed with the inexplicable change, and that I wasn't going to pay for a $110 set twice, when the LEGO Shop website itself doesn't make clear which variant is included.  

I can't guarantee how many times they will do this, but...it's worth a shot!  Personally, I am incredibly thankful to the people of LEGO Customer Service, and they went above and beyond what I could have hoped for!  Really, maybe this is how the situation should have been handled from the start: a "mail-in" offer for those with the proof of purchase of 75188.

And if/when I receive the new figure, I will not be selling it; Finch Dallow will be sitting at the controls of the Cobalt Hammer, where he belongs.  :classic:  :blush:

41 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

I called LEGO Customer Service...

LEGO customer service is always really good. If you provide proof of purchase they normally get you what you’re after. I expected this and was hoping I could get my hands on a Finch this way, I just hope that they don’t crack down on this before I get a chance to do it because people will obviously be abusing this system.