Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

18 minutes ago, Tidy said:

reused old pilot from the 2017 a-wing ...

I mean that's not a bad figure but it's very lazy. 

31 minutes ago, TWRAddict said:

I mean that's not a bad figure but it's very lazy. 

The least they could do is change the head from Sam from LoTR to something else.

23 hours ago, Markalus said:

I don’t whether I’d call a few images “dramatic leaking”. Lego did crack down on leaks; it was so much more free-flowing before they effectively shut down the Discord and reddit leak discussions. 

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I meant that, in my opinion, the people posting stuff on Instagram are being somewhat ostentatious about their leaks.  The leaked figures, themselves, have indeed been fairly anticlimactic.  :laugh:
Also, thanks for your answers regarding TLG's position.  I didn't even know there was a Discord for LEGO Leaks.  That's not my kind of site, so I guess it makes sense that I never heard of it.

EDIT: Clever timing on the 4+ A-Wing, given that 75175 was just recently retired.  Here's hoping the ship is a fun, cute build, but....another clone pilot (no, not that kind of clone pilot) and another C-3PO??  At least this gives me an opportunity to quote Uncle Owen: "I have no need for a protocol droid."  :grin:

Edited by RogueTwo
Clarity, plus A-Wing comment

Shame the A-Wing Pilot is the same. Would've been good to have gotten a new design for the helmet representing Green Leader this time.

Wonder if we'll see R2-D2 updated in the Microfighter set next year? Didn't realize it until now but the Dagobah figure changed the designs on his head and torso in addition to giving him mud stains. Its a minor change but a clean version would be welcome.

Regarding the new Stormtrooper helmet - the awkward 90 degree cutoff definitely looks to be a dual molding issue. The shape of the helmet itself still curves over the torso like the old piece did, but they've split that part of the plastic up into two different colors that it makes the shape look sharper than it actually is.

3 hours ago, wesker said:

Shame the A-Wing Pilot is the same. Would've been good to have gotten a new design for the helmet representing Green Leader this time.

Wonder if we'll see R2-D2 updated in the Microfighter set next year? Didn't realize it until now but the Dagobah figure changed the designs on his head and torso in addition to giving him mud stains. Its a minor change but a clean version would be welcome.

Regarding the new Stormtrooper helmet - the awkward 90 degree cutoff definitely looks to be a dual molding issue. The shape of the helmet itself still curves over the torso like the old piece did, but they've split that part of the plastic up into two different colors that it makes the shape look sharper than it actually is.

All I'm asking for is R2 to have back printing.

I hope that's the case with the stormtrooper, I'm really debating to swap my 585s for the new ones.

The microfighter X-wings and Y-wings have only had a head, not a full droid.  Probably a Naboo microfighter will also only have the head.  It's still possible an astromech with back printing will show up in the Juniors X-wing or in one of those mysterious 20th anniversary sets, but I wouldn't count on it.  The lack of back printing helps you get the "correct orientation" when putting the head on the body or when putting the droid in its slot (if not oriented sideways).  Minifig torso assemblies don't have that front-back symmetry, and the back of minifig clothing usually looks pretty different than the front, so there's no confusion about which way the head faces (especially with double-sided heads).  Since various set designers have made it clear that most set features have to pass justify themselves in play testing with kids rather than getting free rides as fan service, I think an astromech with back printing would get weeded out as either not worth the effort or actively confusing to kids, even though adult fans clamor for that extra detail.  Of course, I can't recall offhand what R2-D2's back panel looks like, which probably means it's plain enough that it would be easily distinguished from the front panel.  On the one hand, that invalidates my entire argument above: no confusion! On the other hand, it means that I never seriously minded the lack of back printing on R2-D2 as a kid (though it may have crossed my mind once or twice), and I don't mind it as an adult either.

The catalog leaked. The Death Star Escape looks like a decent set. There's a retractable catwalk that moves across to connect the two doorways and it includes a mouse droid. I am definitely intrigued by Luke and Leia side of chasm but underwhelmed by the stormtrooper's side.

Edited by avengers777

Yes, the Death Star Escape has good details of a small moc with enough play features with that retractable bridge. This one is going to be one of the better sets of the wave with the Praetorian Guards BP. The Droid Escape micro fighters seems meh with that brick built Dewback. The A-Wing feels really small.

But there is also a set that seems to be a Sith Infiltrator micro fighter. Am I looking too much into that small set? Only half of it can be seen in the photo. But it would make sense to fit with the Naboo Starfighter microfighter

SET                USD            PIECE            NAME
NUMBER                           COUNT

JANUARY

75223             $9.99             62                NABOO STARFIGHTER MICROFIGHTER
75224             $9.99             92                SITH INFILTRATOR MICROFIGHTER
75225             $14.99         109                PRAETORIAN GUARD BATTLE PACK 
75226             $14.99         118                INFERNO SQUAD BATTLE PACK 
75228             $19.99         177                DEWBACK VS ESCAPE POD MICROFIGHTERS 
75229             $29.99         329                DEATH STAR ESCAPE
75233             $49.99         389                DROID GUNSHIP
75234             $59.99         689                AT-AP
75235             $29.99         132                4+ X-WING    
75236             $19.99         191                *CONF_Playset_R_vs_K
75237             $19.99           77                4+ TIE FIGHTER 
75247             $14.99           62                4+ A-WING

Just now, Richpepperell said:

So which set does the Finch Dallow minifigure come with?

none. 

it could be a retail exclusive. 

which is also how i’m leaning for 75236 ...

So those graduation capped Praetorian Guards do look like they have skirts instead of legs when looking at the new leaks, whereas the buckethead ones have legs.

Edited by Bartybum

Are 75231 and 75232 just going to be unused numbers, or do we not know at this moment in time?

The Death Star escape set looks pretty neat. There are quite a few little details, and it would be a neat way to get OG Luke and Leia. The droid escape microfighter set is pretty simple, but cheap C-3PO is always nice to get, and the Dewback actually looks pretty cute. The Naboo starfighter is cute, the Praetorian BP is sweet, and the 4+ A-wing looks the part. I'm not too sure about the 4+ X-wing, though. Definitely looks juniors, but I'm gonna need official images for that.

Edited by GrandDukeofKumquats
Tireless argument. Wth, autocorrect?

15 minutes ago, Renown said:

Are 75231 and 75232 just going to be unused numbers, or do we not know at this moment in time?

nothing is known ... could be placeholders for retail exclusives ... 75227 is also noticeably absent ...

2 hours ago, Tidy said:

75236             $19.99         191                *CONF_Playset_R_vs_K

Hmm.. wonder if there is a chance that K might be Kazuda Xiono of Star Wars Resistance

1 hour ago, getbusybrickin said:

I recommend against making confident predictions about minifigures. The ones you see in the catalog are merely placeholders. 

Strange choice to give the buckethead guards the new legs but not the sun visor guards.

Just now, Peppybricks said:

What happened to the 4+ Slave I? Is that still a thing, or is it coming out later in the year?

that has been covered here ad nauseum. imho, never was a thing. there is a rumoured $120 slave 1 in april.

45 minutes ago, darththeling said:

Hmm.. wonder if there is a chance that K might be Kazuda Xiono of Star Wars Resistance

then who is R ??? 

but no. there have been more sources coming out recently saying r v k is rey and kylo in a forest.

Glad the Death Star Escape set seems to use the old mouse droid design. Not a fan of the new one they have in Vader's Castle.

22 minutes ago, TWRAddict said:

Glad the Death Star Escape set seems to use the old mouse droid design. Not a fan of the new one they have in Vader's Castle.

These are just preliminary, so it may be a placeholder, but I don't see why they'd do that for a build.

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

So those graduation capped Praetorian Guards do look like they have skirts instead of legs when looking at the new leaks, whereas the buckethead ones have legs.

4 hours ago, getbusybrickin said:

I recommend against making confident predictions about minifigures. The ones you see in the catalog are merely placeholders. 

All the guards in the prelim pictures have skirts. It's because they are prelim. Remember how the Jedi battle pack had Coleman Trebor instead of Ki-Adi-Mundi?

Wow!  The Death Star Escape set is a definite purchase for me.  I already have lots of Tatooine Lukes (I doubt they'll change this Ep. IV Luke's hair to dark tan, since they didn't do it for the Sandcrawler...), and I already Bricklinked the UCS Death Star Leia, but....

the new Stormtrooper is a novelty, and it will be interesting to have at least one.  And mainly, the set represents a convergence of my favorite aspects of the LEGO Star Wars theme: it's affordable, fairly film-accurate, detailed, appealing to all ages, a good selection of desirable minifigures (two heroes and the most iconic army-builder in all of cinema).  As much as I love sets like the UCS Y-Wing, I think that from a conceptual point of view, these $25-30 "Great Playsets" are the best development of recent years.

The Microfighter Naboo Starfighter still looks awesome, but I don't care for the source material (great Doug Chiang ship design, though).  So I won't be buying it, but kudos to LEGO.  

The Escape Pod vs. Dewback is such an odd set.  The Dewback is really cute and cleverly built, and the minifigures are good for new collectors, but the escape pod already such a small vehicle that I don't think it translates well to Microfighter form.  Here's the real question: Does the Sandtrooper have the new Stormtrooper helmet design?  I highly doubt it, but I suppose there are pros and cons for either way.