Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

57 minutes ago, Sir von Lego said:

It is a good looking normal set like Vader Transformation etc. 29.99 priced, 3 minifigs: Stormtrooper, Leia, Luke

Those are good news! It's always welcomed to see sets at 29,99 price point with good value.

I hope the small Slave I will be another of them. I think we still don't know about its figures, but I would like to stand corrected.

2 hours ago, dvogon said:

Those are good news! It's always welcomed to see sets at 29,99 price point with good value.

I hope the small Slave I will be another of them. I think we still don't know about its figures, but I would like to stand corrected.

there's still no objective evidence of a small slave 1 ... don't know how many times i can say this.

20 hours ago, JarJarBonks said:

Is that for the hoth set? 3 figs for 60 bucks?!

1 snowie, and 3 rebels. that equals 4.

It's not all about figures. It all depends on what the build is. Obviously there may not be anything unique figure wise as the Rebel and Snowtroopers have become common. A decent build even without figures would be better than something poor populated by 4 common figures.

Let's just see what the set looks like before passing judgement on it. I'll admit I thought the Hoth waves had passed at least for a year or two after AOH, The small add-on and the Medical facility. 

Any indication yet of price points for the UK with the winter releases? Curious to see if any are higher than the gross retail price in US dollars like 75218 was.

23 hours ago, Tidy said:

there's still no objective evidence of a small slave 1 ... don't know how many times i can say this.

Yeah I always found it an odd thing that there were talks about a tiny slave 1 and a big one so soon after it got released in Cloud City, especially since the UCS one is still available. I'm not saying there is no chance it would happen, but the odds are approximately 3,720 to 1 :wink:

44 minutes ago, Huigberts Builds said:

the odds are approximately 3,720 to 1 :wink:

never tell me the odds.

Edited by Tidy

9 hours ago, GrandDukeofKumquats said:

Too late. He just did.

sigh.

1 hour ago, Tidy said:

sigh.

[video snipped]

To be fair, GrandDuke may have just been joking.  Otherwise, someone needs to go back and rewatch Empire.  :wink:
Also, if Boba is a clone in the official Star Wars canon, there's no reason his ship can't also be cloned (some versions tinier than others, due to growth acceleration or lack thereof)

Edited by RogueTwo

7 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

To be fair, GrandDuke may have just been joking.  Otherwise, someone needs to go back and rewatch Empire.  :wink:

i hope so. lol. 

10 minutes ago, RogueTwo said:

Also, if Boba is a clone in the official Star Wars canon, there's no reason his ship can't also be cloned (some versions tinier than others, due to growth acceleration or lack thereof)

lol. 

7 hours ago, Tidy said:

sigh.

At least the quote was helpful for me, Im not a person who remember quotes from movies, even if I see them 10 times.

Has anyone thought about how with the new stormtrooper helmet having a 90 degree hangover, not only will this prevent the head from moving but also interfere with the current pauldron design? Lego may have to re-design that bit too, or it may not fit well with their new helmet.

15 minutes ago, TheGeneralMoe said:

Has anyone thought about how with the new stormtrooper helmet having a 90 degree hangover, not only will this prevent the head from moving but also interfere with the current pauldron design? Lego may have to re-design that bit too, or it may not fit well with their new helmet.

Well if the helmet can't turn I don't think that's a problem. 

What I'm thinking is that I don't know what varient to collect anymore. I have a load of sw585s and I'm not sure if this varient will replace the older one and be used everywhere. Would it be used in every set from now on or just in one set, like the new rebel helmets?

So the pilot Luke minifig from the 4+ X-Wing has leaked. It uses the old helmet design instead of the new one. Luke has two faces - one with the visor down and one with the visor up.

4 hours ago, TheGeneralMoe said:

Has anyone thought about how with the new stormtrooper helmet having a 90 degree hangover, not only will this prevent the head from moving

Well that explains why they can't aim at all. But I hope in reality the articulation will be a little bit better.

9 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

Well that explains why they can't aim at all. But I hope in reality the articulation will be a little bit better.

And why they walk into walls. ?

16 hours ago, TheGeneralMoe said:

Technically, I don't think the current/old Stormtrooper helmet can turn unless you raise the helmet or head a tiny bit.  The chin brim, or whatever you call it, still gets in the way.  It is weird that the new mold looks like it really locks the helmet into place, though.  Some of the various LEGO Imperial helmets I have seem to have fairly poor clutch power.  Maybe they're trying to avoid this.  The new Solo Patrol Trooper, for example, is really durable and good looking, so maybe some people will grow to like the new Stormtrooper.

11 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

And why they walk into walls. ?

Maybe Disney said to LEGO: "Retcon the imprecision of Stormtroopers by making a new helmet mold so big and clunky, there's no way they'd be able to see or move!"  :laugh:

Anyway, getting back "on target," I'm really curious as to whether the weird new Rebel pilot helmets in this summer's X-Wing were a one-off, or whether they're just being lazy using up old Luke helmets.  What really ticks me off is that if that's the same Luke helmet first released in 2010, there's a lot of side printing detail that could be added, but is not, presumably due to sheer laziness.  

(Disclaimer: Not my photo)

afyg0ax2m6z01.jpg

This really bothers me, and it makes me question "Only the best is good enough."  Apparently, that slogan does not apply to licensed products, not when there's money to be made (or re-made) from a re-release.  If you all recall, even Hans Burkhard Schlömer (designer of Slave IAssault on Hoth, and Assault on Your Bank Account UCS Falcon) gave a very candid, but, in my opinion, cynical and jaded take on this.  And that didn't even have to do with minifigures, but rather structural weakness in models.  I don't know; I look at the new X-Wing beside sets like the new Ideas Fairy Tale Storybook, and I feel guilty for wanting to buy the X-Wing.  Sorry, I know this is a bit of a tangential diatribe, but it just makes me think...no fans are going to boycott Star Wars LEGO, so in the end, TLG can do whatever they want, which is kind of sad.  Don't get me wrong, it's not sad on the scale of depressing global injustice, corruption, and suffering, but in terms of my main hobby, which also happens to be an escape from global misery, I wonder who/what power that be actually calls the shots on such arbitrary details as "new Stormtrooper mold, for January 2019, start designing now."  

Edited by RogueTwo

The wave of new helmet molds started with Vader I believe, which has its strengths and weaknesses when compared to the old mold.

Same as the Rebel Helmet.

I think the Stormtrooper helmet is the first misstep though.

First off the chin having that massive chunk cutout so the front can sit over the torso is UGLY. Ruins the whole helmet for me.I don't understand how anyone approved it. 

The Mimban Stormtrooper and Patrol Trooper are perfect examples of taking the OG mold and improving it. 

Edited by Forresto

5 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

...no fans are going to boycott Star Wars LEGO, so in the end, TLG can do whatever they want, which is kind of sad. (snip) I wonder who/what power that be actually calls the shots on such arbitrary details as "new Stormtrooper mold, for January 2019, start designing now."  

I think LEGO deserves a bit more credit than that. The designers working on Star Wars sets (or any other theme for that matter) are not out to screw us over, they are working to bring us the best sets they can within the confines of what they can do. They don't always hit a home run in terms of AFOL-approval, but we are a fickle bunch that will never really be satisfied aren't we?

I'm sure something like a new Stormtrooper helmet mold originated within the team because they thought they could improve on it, rather than being handed down from above. My personal opinion based on the pictures is that I like the old one better, glad I picked up plenty of the previous Stormie BP's. Haven't opened my X-Wing set yet to check out the new helmet so I'll wait before I pass judgement on that.

On a more upbeat note, the Death Star escape set sounds very cool! It is refreshing to get something new from the OT instead of repeats of the same old vehicles.

I feel like some people don't get that the helmet on the left is a more detailed sculpt.  The mold being the expensive part...printing is cheap and easy.

I do prefer the printing on the helmet on the right, but that can easily be adjusted.  They always want to give us incentive to purchase future sets.

afyg0ax2m6z01.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 6:50 PM, Tidy said:

75236 - [Slave I Playset  - "R vs. K"] • $20 US

Sorry for coming back to this topic again, but does it mean that it's more likely that 75236 is going to be a Rey vs. Kylo set?

On the rebel/stormtrooper helmets, I still see the new rebel helmet too big. The new stormtrooper helmet at least has better proportions even if that close-to-90 degree angle is a quite strange. 

Edited by dvogon

17 hours ago, lego the hutt said:

I feel like some people don't get that the helmet on the left is a more detailed sculpt.  The mold being the expensive part...printing is cheap and easy.

I do prefer the printing on the helmet on the right, but that can easily be adjusted.  They always want to give us incentive to purchase future sets.

<snip>

It's more detailed in the sense that it has more texture to it, but are those grooves actually accurate to a real Rebel pilot helmet?  I personally don't think so: RebelPilotHelmetMontage_zpsdf21c95d.jpg

They all look smooth to me.  I think the size of the new helmet is jarring given what we're used to but probably closer to correct proportions relative to a person/minifig size.  The more I look at it, the old helmet looks too small!

Edited by MKJoshA
Don't quote photos.

15 hours ago, RogueTwo said:

Maybe Disney said to LEGO: "Retcon the imprecision of Stormtroopers by making a new helmet mold so big and clunky, there's no way they'd be able to see or move!"  :laugh:

Well it wouldn't really be a retcon, Luke says in ANH "I cant see anything" while wearing a stormtrooper helmet. They were meant to be awful from day one, and this has been reinforced by several other characters over the years.

Makes you question the "military might" of the Empire really. Clumsy walking dogs, armor that renders infantry completely inefficient...Their propaganda was definitely better than their skills :laugh_hard: (but we're also really off target right now, sorry)