Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I like the look of the gunship itself (better than either of the other ones), but the minifigure selection is pretty poor (do we really need another Yoda?). 

The 4+ A-wing is also a good-looking kit. Haven't found pics of the TIE Fighter pack yet or anything else @JarJarBonks mentioned.

So it looks like the escape pod and Dewback is a dual microfighter after all. At least that’s kinda what it looks like. I’ll get some of the 4+ sets for the minifigs but the vehicles look terrible, not that I expected much. Extra parts I guess. I’m really hoping some of these are using stand in minifigs seeing as they are only prelims. If not, I will easily pass on the droid Gunship and AT-AP as neither have any desirable minifgures at all, at least none that I don’t already have. I’m really really hoping the actual sets have some new minifigs though. You can’t always take preliminary images at face value. I can’t wait for some physical leaks now

1 hour ago, TWRAddict said:

I like the look of the gunship itself (better than either of the other ones), but the minifigure selection is pretty poor (do we really need another Yoda?). 

The 4+ A-wing is also a good-looking kit. Haven't found pics of the TIE Fighter pack yet or anything else @JarJarBonks mentioned.

You simply go to the pic of the A wing and keep on scrolling through the same guys posts.

34 minutes ago, JarJarBonks said:

You simply go to the pic of the A wing and keep on scrolling through the same guys posts.

Thanks. The TIE Fighter really reminds me of the original 2000s design. Not good, but not poor either. The microfighters are really well-done though.

The leaks are really horrible quality this time.  I mean, the images are always horrible quality, and there's that debate about whether/how many of them are leaked on purpose, but usually the box art is more complete.  I wonder whether this is being done as an extra measure to combat pirate brands.  For retailers, or even for hardcore fans, the leaks/preliminary catalogues do the trick: you get a tiny X-Wing with a pilot and droid, plus an Eadu-ish landing platform with turret for a Stormtrooper to defend.  No one need know any more of the specific details.  Anyway, that's just a theory.

My feelings on the sets?

The X-Wing is cute, but it appears to have a non-enclosed cockpit with this piece.  Unless the new Stormtrooper design really grows on me, or unless there are printed designs on the nose or wings, like the ones from 1999, it may be a pass.  Of course, that's assuming we get another Luke.  If we get a new helmet design (Red Leader, how long have you been standing by?!?!) then it's an instant buy, obviously.  :excited:

The TIE looks fine, from what I can see.  It'll be interesting to see whether they make the inevitable move to mold the life support hoses onto the helmet, like they did with the First Order pilots.  This one will probably be a must-buy for me, just because of the new Rebel Fleet Trooper.  Maybe I'll give the TIE to a younger cousin or something?  :laugh:

The A-Wing looks pretty good, probably because it's the smallest of the fighters, anyway, so it scales down much more easily.  I'd love to see a Last Jedi A-Wing, but I doubt that's the case.  The little mechanic bay scenery has a Yavin IV feel to it,  which is interesting, given that we never see A-Wings there in the live-action films, but we most definitely do in Rebels.  Anyway, it's not like these 4+ sets are going to be renowned for their accuracy...

The Microfighters Naboo Starfighter is honestly adorable and pretty much perfect, even though I don't like The Phantom Menace very much.  Will they be generous and give us an R2 body, given that he's in at least half the sets every wave?  We shall see.  I only hope the Microfighters line doesn't end any time soon.  There are so many possibilities.

The Escape Pod vs Dewback set is actually really nice, but I'm not sure whether it will be classified as "Microfighters."  The Dewback itself looks to be larger than the average Microfighter build, and if there are going to be Sandtrooper(s) along with R2 and 3PO, I could see this set being 30 USD instead of 20.  One thing is for sure, though: they pulled off the brick-built Dewback.  It looks adorable, and it already feels far more LEGO-ish than the (admittedly excellent) big figure from the 2014 Mos Eisley Cantina.  I would be totally up for "Luke's Landspeeder vs. Bantha" later this year, but only if they throw in an Aunt Beru minifigure.  :classic:

1 hour ago, TWRAddict said:

AT-AP image leaked. It is IDENTICAL to the 2014 one as far as I can tell.

it is nearly identical. A bit of changes here and there to superficial stuff like color and the top shooterposition.

Not neccesarily bad as the 2013 AT-AP was one of the best walkers ever made in my opinion, with alot of interior space and looks even better with the 3rd leg retracted. The only real problem will be the enourmous pricerise.

Same goes for the gunship

Has anyone else noticed that it looks like chewie is in the AT-AP from the images and it also looks like they Switched Tarffuls to being in the Droid Gunship instead. This could just be a mistake from TLG though.

I'm thinking of getting the AT AP since I missed out on the last one, it doesn't look too bad but the price will be a concern.

These leaks are pretty interesting. The microfighters are cute, and I'll probably pick up both. The "4+" A-wing actually looks quite accurate so far, and if the price is reasonable (like, NZ$40), it would make for a fair fleet-builder. Tie Fighter looks a bit off, but preliminaries never look as good as the final product, so I'm optimistic. I might actually pick that one up, as I do like the idea of mid-scale Tie's (getting accurately sized cannon fodder for NZ$100 is not quite as deserved). The X-Wing/turret set looks interesting, and if the price and figs are good, I really could see myself owning it. As for the Droid Gunner, AT-AP and Battlefront BP, I don't care that much, but the Praetorian Guard BP looks neat!

Damnit, Lego. 

I only wanted one thing from this wave. A new Ahsoka minifigure. 

Damnit. 

Oh well. Guess I'll focus on Overwatch and TLM2 next year. 

Im quite curious about TLG's SW strategy right now:

They are re-releasing 2 sets, that were visible in one movie, for like 4 seconds, with no minifigure upgrate at all.
I trust their market research, but it's fascinating that, some Wookie, and some figures released in many other recent sets are more popular amongst kids, instead of CW characters (Ahsoka, Rex, Cody, other popular characters..). The appeal to AFOL's would have also been much higher.

fwiw. here's my 5 cents.

i've always found the silver lining in almost every wave and set since 2016 ... but this one, what is happening ...

i fully understand that these are really really really preliminary images ...

75223 - Naboo Starfighter - if you need a young anakin cry baby, here, he’s cheap, and they throw in an r2 too.

75224 - 

75225 - Elite Praetorian Guards Battle Pack - missed opportunity to sell 100-200% more battle packs … underwhelming but hey at least there is a new helmet, small silver lining … the build for 2 battle packs should have been included in snoke’s throne room from the start to give that set better value.

75226 - Inferno Squad Battle Pack - prelim, hard to tell if the helmets will have red inferno squad and imperial logos with other red markings and if it is the 4 original members … definitely has potential for good imperial set.

75228 - Escape Pod vs. Dewback - wtf … c’mon. reminds me of brick built horses from the late 70’s early 80’s … oh and hey here’s another r2 for ya.  the sandie is probably a reused one. nothing to see here. move along.

75229 - 

75233 - Droid Gunship - did they just take the previous one and slap on the new box design? and throw in yoda for giggles? where’s the obligatory r2?

75234 - AT-AP - did they just take the previous one and slap on the new box design? 

75235 - 4+ X-Wing Starfighter - i just don’t even know where to start with these 4+ abominations. luke and guess who? r2. and that new stormtrooper helmet that was stolen from family guy. i just. no.

75236 - 

75237 - 4+ TIE Fighter - yay, a new rebel fleet trooper. for $20. that’s about all this sets amounts to.

75247 - 4+ A-Wing Starfighter - what appears to be a reused green a-wing pilot with r2, oh wait, no, that is 3po … surprised ya on that one.

Edited by Tidy

6 hours ago, firefox said:

it is nearly identical. A bit of changes here and there to superficial stuff like color and the top shooterposition.

I don't think there is any actual changes from the 2014 version to this (in terms of the actual walker itself). Unless there's an interior change or something I'm missing due to the picture's poor quality. 

Wonder what the retail exclusives will look like. Other then the Inferno Squad pack, which I will definitely be getting, ill bricklink the rebel fleet trooper and the second figure in the awing set if it is a rebel technician/officer.

47 minutes ago, Tidy said:

i've always found the silver lining in almost every wave and set since 2016 ... but this one, what is happening ...

The same thing that happens almost every year: People are drastically misjudging the market share AFOLs possess, and expect TLG's product strategy to follow their personal wishlist. I mean, the 4+ sets are obviously meant for children, which makes perfect sense given that the normal X-Wing has gotten so expensive many kids won't be able to afford one. Throw in popular minifigs you otherwise wouldn't have a set for and the idea actually looks pretty great.

I'm guessing the AT-AP and Droid Gunship are more popular than people are giving them credit for. The combination of Jedi, clones and droids has always appealed to several different demographics. I also see no problems with the At-AP being largely identical to the 2014 version because that one was absolutely phenomenal.

50 minutes ago, Tidy said:

fwiw. here's my 5 cents.

So I'm guessing you're not a fan of this wave then ;) 

No, in all seriousness I'm glad you spent the time summing it up. I wholeheartedly agree. My only silver lining is that this wave will really save my purse. I understand SW sets are not made just for AFOLS ... that's who UCS sets are targeted at. But I can't help but think those 4+ sets are a step backwards. Even as a kid I valued the design and these would not have appealed to me; I grew up in the era where Lego released that wave of small SW ships, the precursors to Microfighters, and I was going to put them on my Christmas list one year because I could get them all for the same amount as one large set. Then I could have a space battle and play and ... I couldn't do it ... because really they just weren't that interesting. And I don't know if they are going to keep that big 4+ on the box, but that screams 'childish' just as much as 'Juniors' did so I don't think older kids will favour that branding any better.

I'm really hoping the April wave has some good surprises in store in terms of prequel sets, because there's only so many times Lego can release AT-APs, Droid Gunships, Homing Spider Droids, Clone Turbo Tanks and Naboo Starfighters and consider the prequels largely covered.

Hey, I wanted some nice new Clone Wars figures as well, but keep in mind they’re continuing the series so those sets will come in time once it becomes more relevant again. Also, people are looking way too closely at the builds and figures and taking it too literally when these preliminary images very often use stand in parts and figures. Remember Coleman Trebor in the Jedi battle pack last year? These pics give us a general idea of what to expect but we can’t take them too literally. Wait for more physical leaks before jumping to conclusions

26 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

So I'm guessing you're not a fan of this wave then ;) 

No, in all seriousness I'm glad you spent the time summing it up. I wholeheartedly agree. My only silver lining is that this wave will really save my purse. I understand SW sets are not made just for AFOLS ... that's who UCS sets are targeted at. But I can't help but think those 4+ sets are a step backwards. Even as a kid I valued the design and these would not have appealed to me; I grew up in the era where Lego released that wave of small SW ships, the precursors to Microfighters, and I was going to put them on my Christmas list one year because I could get them all for the same amount as one large set. Then I could have a space battle and play and ... I couldn't do it ... because really they just weren't that interesting. And I don't know if they are going to keep that big 4+ on the box, but that screams 'childish' just as much as 'Juniors' did so I don't think older kids will favour that branding any better.

I'm really hoping the April wave has some good surprises in store in terms of prequel sets, because there's only so many times Lego can release AT-APs, Droid Gunships, Homing Spider Droids, Clone Turbo Tanks and Naboo Starfighters and consider the prequels largely covered.

was it that obvious? lol ...

huge wallet saving wave ... =]] 

i too understand that the target audience is not me, and that they are re-releasing stuff for the next 'wave' of kids to get into, but they are re-releasing stuff that the target demo hasn't really been exposed to ... today's 10 year olds, doubtful they know the PT or CW very well ... for them star wars is rebels, the ST and anthologies ... and i really agree the 4+ is a step backwards ... my 4 year old wants the sets that her 7 y/o sister builds who wants harder and harder sets and prides herself in doing a set with the age listed well above her age ...

there are still 2 sets that could surprise me, and even the retailer exclusives ... april could blow me away and i'll be back to finding a silver lining everywhere, but this wave just really bums me out.

I think that the AT-AP is just a placeholder image, I mean it’s identical to a promo shot for the previous version..

I, for one, am happy about the AT-AP as I missed out on the previous one; happy about gunship as well cuz never too many separatist ships. I just hope some of the figures are stand-ins, would love to get a different Jedi than Yoda

Dear All! Do not judge the sets based on preliminary images. In a week or two I'm sure we will get the official pictures. Eventually these sets will be released two months from now. Patience.