Sign in to follow this  
Spud The Viking

[Freebuild - Mitgardia] Amos Lachlan's Parish

Amos Lachlan is the local clergyman of a small farming village in the lowlands of Mitgardia.

44025356874_404679bf7d_z.jpg

His time is spent studying and as a chronicler, writing down historic events and descriptions.

He feels the time is right to venture beyond the green fields of home and begin meeting other settlements, finding out their local history and any needs he can help with.

More pictures:

I built this mainly to introduce my character, and rather than having a warrior or tradesman, why not have a man of faith?

I've been wanting to join GoH for many years and I've finally dived into the action. 

Edited by Spud The Viking

Nicely done, mate, glad to see you over here! :classic:  The gate and roof to the chapel are my favorite bits, along with the clever attachment of the sides of the cross, but I'm really liking the concept of going with a clergyman/chronicler for your sigfig! :thumbup:  Looking forward to seeing where you take this!

Nice little scene.  I like the gate and the church itself although it seems a little small.  The guy working in the field is a nice touch.   And nice sigfig.  

Love the build! If you have any green/dark green cheese slopes, those really help add texture to your terrain. Glad you're in GoH with us!

Hey Spud, great to see you over here as well. I’m really liking the idea of the unusual choice of occupation for your character. The minifig combo is fantastic, I especially like the ruffle with the beret and the addition of the Scotty dog! I’m looking forward to following your adventures!

I like the way you made the side of the church textured with the dark bley sections, showing some disrepair. Also, the half-stud offset of the stained glass is a nice touch. I think that using just three flowers in the landscape is a mistake, though, because it seems so random without being natural. I would put some more on there, in the same color rather than three different colors, and clump them together as though it is a flower patch. The roof is very nice though, and creates a nice image of a tiled roof. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of Amos' adventures. 

Loving the character of playing a clergyman! That'll be a nice change from all the warriors and hopefully allow you some unique stories.

Like the use of 1x1 cone bricks in the roof, makes for a nice texture. The church is a little on the small side, but it does remind me of the small Scottish kirk's dotted all over our shared homeland.

I like the gravedigger at the side. My only real complaint is that the dark tan path is higher than the surrounding grass, normally due to footpath erosion it sits lower than the grass. It's a lot more parts intensive but I think it's worth it.

27 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the way you made the side of the church textured with the dark bley sections, showing some disrepair. Also, the half-stud offset of the stained glass is a nice touch. I think that using just three flowers in the landscape is a mistake, though, because it seems so random without being natural. I would put some more on there, in the same color rather than three different colors, and clump them together as though it is a flower patch. The roof is very nice though, and creates a nice image of a tiled roof. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more of Amos' adventures. 

Thanks for the feedback! I was maybe to hasty in posting this and probably spent more time on the landscape as many of you have suggested. I will improve this next time.

12 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

Loving the character of playing a clergyman! That'll be a nice change from all the warriors and hopefully allow you some unique stories.

Like the use of 1x1 cone bricks in the roof, makes for a nice texture. The church is a little on the small side, but it does remind me of the small Scottish kirk's dotted all over our shared homeland.

I like the gravedigger at the side. My only real complaint is that the dark tan path is higher than the surrounding grass, normally due to footpath erosion it sits lower than the grass. It's a lot more parts intensive but I think it's worth it.

Thanks! Didn't realise there was Scotsman in the Guilds. My pathwork does need improvement, I'll try to up this for next time.

A very different job indeed, but that doesn't hurt! Looking forward to seeing how you'll fill in his tale!

As for the build: :thumbup: Though I feel like some differently coloured vegetation would break things up a bit, that's just nitpicking. Very cool to set the chapel at angle, great idea

Nice introduction Spud! Great idea to have a cleric, and i am curious about what religion Amos practises, given that this is a fantasy setting. I'd love to hear that fleshed out a little more! :classic:  Your chapel build has a lovely roof and some nice texture on the walls, but i think the 2x2 tiles you have used as corner blocks look too big for the building... 1x2 or even 1x1 would have been a better size to use. The gates are a nice addition though. I look forward to seeing how your character develops on his travels!

Lovely intro! I like the angled wall and the details you have put in. The only complaint is as said by other the path that is higher than the grass. 

Nice!  I like the use of the ladders as a wrought iron fence.  Looks great!  The roof on the chapel looks good, too.  I like the irregular aspect of the church on the baseplate as well.  Make things feel more organic, I think.  As suggestions, raising the green plates by a single plate to convey the idea that the grass is above the dirt path would help, and maybe breaking up the green grass with either a few varied color plates (olive, sand, or bright green), or maybe a few patches of browns/tans.  Alternately, if you're going for a super-green Ireland like look, you might be able to throw in a few stones, a puddle, or maybe some light elevation changes to break things up.  Overall, looks great though!

On 9/18/2018 at 10:48 PM, The Last of Nergoue said:

Great moc, i think if you mixed a little more olive into the normal green it may make the olive green grass stalks blend in a bit better. 

Thanks, I'll add more variation next time!

On 9/19/2018 at 10:34 AM, TitusV said:

A very different job indeed, but that doesn't hurt! Looking forward to seeing how you'll fill in his tale!

As for the build: :thumbup: Though I feel like some differently coloured vegetation would break things up a bit, that's just nitpicking. Very cool to set the chapel at angle, great idea

Thank you!

On 9/19/2018 at 1:46 PM, Gabe said:

Nice introduction Spud! Great idea to have a cleric, and i am curious about what religion Amos practises, given that this is a fantasy setting. I'd love to hear that fleshed out a little more! :classic:  Your chapel build has a lovely roof and some nice texture on the walls, but i think the 2x2 tiles you have used as corner blocks look too big for the building... 1x2 or even 1x1 would have been a better size to use. The gates are a nice addition though. I look forward to seeing how your character develops on his travels!

Thanks! Maybe 1x2's would have been better given the size. 

On 9/19/2018 at 8:41 PM, de Gothia said:

Lovely intro! I like the angled wall and the details you have put in. The only complaint is as said by other the path that is higher than the grass. 

Thanks! Aye, I rushed the landscape a bit and it does show.

14 hours ago, Grover said:

Nice!  I like the use of the ladders as a wrought iron fence.  Looks great!  The roof on the chapel looks good, too.  I like the irregular aspect of the church on the baseplate as well.  Make things feel more organic, I think.  As suggestions, raising the green plates by a single plate to convey the idea that the grass is above the dirt path would help, and maybe breaking up the green grass with either a few varied color plates (olive, sand, or bright green), or maybe a few patches of browns/tans.  Alternately, if you're going for a super-green Ireland like look, you might be able to throw in a few stones, a puddle, or maybe some light elevation changes to break things up.  Overall, looks great though!

Thanks for the comments! 

Very good start to your Mitgardian builds :thumbup: The 1x1 round brick roof design fits nicely atop the church, and I like how you used the ladder elements to finish off the stone walls outside.

Nifty cross technique with the two bars and rubber band too :classic: