MKJoshA

[Review] 40358: Bean There, Donut That

I first saw a picture of 40358: Bean There, Donut That on Instagram a couple days ago. So naturally I hopped on Brickseek and watched for it to come in stock at my local Target. At $20 for only 146 pieces I knew I wasn't getting the best in terms of parts/price ratio, but it looked like a neat little set so I decided to give it a chance. That and I knew my daughter would love a Dalmatian.

800x555.jpg

There is a picture on Instagram that shows the box as being more cubbed with a holiday style ribbon. But if you look at the side of the box in that fake picture, you can see that the parts shown are not in this set. Most notably is the door and frame on the fake picture. As you can see from my picture below, the box has the normal retagular dimensions shared with your average set.

800x698.jpg

The back of the box shows the "play" features of the set which mostly involves the barista falling asleep on the job and having to deal with the mess from the Dalmatian afterwards.

800x522.jpg

Inside the box are 3 un-numbered bags and the instructions.

800x657.jpg

By step 5 we've built all the little side builds and have started the base of the coffee stand.

800x697.jpg

The pastry display rotates on a standard turntable piece and looks quite nice. You also can see how many printed pieces there are in this set.

800x569.jpg

And of course, we get a spare of each one of the printed goodies!

800x406.jpg

The end result is a cute little coffee stand much like you might find along the streets of downtown Chicago where I used to live. The inclusion of the blue bike makes me wonder if Chicago was indeed where this stand was modeled after as we have light blue Divvy Bikes all over.

800x438.jpg

I doubt anyone would buy this just for the minifigures, but there is a nice selection included:

800x514.jpg

The doctor/nurse/medical professional uses the new torso found in the new hospital set from this year.

The barista uses the same torso as all other baristas before her, except for Larry from The Lego Movie. She shares her head with many other Town/City women populating Lego City these days.

The construction worker/garbage man looks like he shares his head with the Grandpa from the CMF line, but this worker isn't as grumpy so it's a slightly different print. His torso normally shows up in Space and Airport sets but looks just as good in this context.

The business man wears the same suit as Fred from The Lego Ninjago Movie.

800x425.jpg

All the minifigures have back printing. Only the barista has a double sided head.

The Verdict:

It's a nice little set. It will fit in any city layout and even provides a decent parts pack if that's what you're going for. The minifigures have a good mix of common and rare parts and all add to the city setting. You get the somewhat rare Dalmatian and a light blue bike. At $20 you're paying a little more than average for the exclusivity of the set. But I would say it's worth it. I give it 4/5.

This is a neat little set. I hope that it's available internationally as well.

And that it perhaps spawns additional, similar sets (e.g. a little bus station with a few commuters waiting for the bus, a bike rack where cycling commuters lock up their bikes for the day, a newspaper / magazine stand, a shoe shine stand, etc).

I kind of like what this set offers and will definitely be getting it. Thanks for the review I was on the fence about it, but I just can't pass up the printed pieces, the dog, the bike and those figures all have a home in my city. 

1 hour ago, Agent 86 said:

And that it perhaps spawns additional, similar sets (e.g. a little bus station with a few commuters waiting for the bus, a bike rack where cycling commuters lock up their bikes for the day, a newspaper / magazine stand, a shoe shine stand, etc).

All that minus the shoe shine stand is currently available with set 60154 Bus Station plus you get a decent electric hybrid bus to go along with it. It's a good set I recommend getting it on sale if possible. You also get 2 bikes a wheelchair 6 minifigs and a dog. 

Thanks for a neat review, I noticed the theme can be connected with city as Target in the US also has Capital set which was meant for TRU.

4 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

All that minus the shoe shine stand is currently available with set 60154 Bus Station plus you get a decent electric hybrid bus to go along with it.

Lol. True! It's sitting in my "build" pile, which is probably what made me think of those elements.

I've really liked the look of this set since I first saw it online last week. Didn't think it would end up being $20 though. Anyway hope it becomes available in the UK.

It sure looks nice enough, but 20 bucks sounds like severely stretching the price/ part ratio to the max. If it ever comes out in Europe I could imagine it as a 10 Euros set or free promo item, but not much beyond that.

Mylenium

@MKJoshA Did you find this in the typical Lego aisle or somewhere else in the store? I stopped by a store that, according to Brickseek, had it in stock but I couldn't find it. An employee I talked to was no help.

Thanks for the review. With a few minor modifications I think this will make a nice addition to the Winter Village outdoor market scene.

Thanks Josh. Your review had reaffirm my commitment to source for this exclusive set. I am pretty fond of the assortment. 

1 hour ago, CDM said:

@MKJoshA Did you find this in the typical Lego aisle or somewhere else in the store? I stopped by a store that, according to Brickseek, had it in stock but I couldn't find it. An employee I talked to was no help.

Thanks for the review. With a few minor modifications I think this will make a nice addition to the Winter Village outdoor market scene.

I found it randomly placed with the other sets in the main Lego aisle. There was no tag on the shelf to identify it so it's possible an employee put it out when they weren't supposed to. I've heard rumors this might be a future Target promo. Using Brickseek to search for the DCPI number of 204-00-0606 showed me that most Targets in my area have it in stock now. I was at a different Target yesterday though and did not see it on the shelves. Usually a store employee can look for an item with the DCPI number and tell you where they have it or if it's in the back.

53 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

Thanks Josh. Your review had reaffirm my commitment to source for this exclusive set. I am pretty fond of the assortment. 

Glad it helped! And thanks for the front-paging.

You showed working photographs while building the set which you don’t see very often unfortunately so thank you for showing us that. Nice review overall. I did notice on the cash register brick, the print was slightly too high.

Apparently they're not supposed to be sold until the 30th of September according to one employee. Edit: but if you're really nice and ask a very nice Target employee they may search the back of the store, donut party.

Edited by koalayummies

I feel like this is Lego's attempt at a joke set... 

At least that's what I'm getting from the title. The actual set looks pretty cool. I'd get it for the bike... and those donut printed tiles.

So that's my two cents.

We owe you thanks for the review.  But I would especially like to thank you for the taxonomy/relationships of the people parts.

If it IS a promo, then that might explain the price to brick ratio.  Promos frequently have obscene prices.

Edited by Juxtapoisson

Definitely a bit overpriced, but the set is great. I just built mine yesterday. All the treats in here...8 donuts, 3 cookies, 3 pastries, and 3 pie pieces. 

And the name, it’s just fantastic. 

Edited by Vindicare

Nice set. Pity that it's exclusive, It would be a great addition to the normal city line.

Wish I could get my hands on it... Hope that some stores in the Netherlands will also do a same thing in the future...

On 9/20/2018 at 3:36 PM, TESLA IS THE FUTURE said:

Not a bad set, but I think it’s worth $15

Yep, I agree. This is a common complaint with this set. It's still pretty neat though. 

Woo Hoo I will buy it for that much, thanks, heading to Target now. 

Update:

So I picked this up on sale $15.99 still not a very good value but what the hey. The box art on the back cracked me up though, it looks like the vendor gets drunk and passes out, only to awake happily sometime later only to find the dog has ransacked the whole stand. 

Edited by Johnny1360

It's now $15 at Target.com. If you spend $50 on LEGO in $10 you will get an email for $10 gift card.