Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Circa 1712 36-gun East Indiaman 'Duke of York"

I decided last night to revisit my Athena's Rage (the second MOC I posted on here, about two weeks ago), because I felt like I had developed a lot of nice techniques in the intervening timespan, and wanted to see what I could crack out in roughly the same size (note: this isn't to say I dislike Athena's Rage - I still think the old Lego large hulls are a more pleasing starting point. However, I really wanted something I could actually get in the reddish-brown color). I based this model heavily - not only on that prior vessel - but also the Swedish Götheborg, although my ship is a generation earlier, and has an more antiquated sail plan (and more guns, and a more pronounced stern castle :P).

I think this is the last one I am going to do for a while, because, frankly, I have a hard time conceiving of being too much more satisfied with a project than this one (at least at this semi minifig [or "realistic for a budget"] scale).

Prototype:

V2ii0Ge.jpg

RiyGXvj.jpg

fUp35qW.jpg

Old Athena's Rage:

pMqW3Bh.png

tQ6hCm6.png

Duke of York:

JJBD2Cq.png

d1mZUJq.png

h3G3Zy3.png

r5SJ2RE.png

snCfz0S.png

And one shot of the lower cabin interior from LDD. There's an upper captain's cabin, but this is the roomier space:

ZWTaS7O.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

4 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I like the changes quite well !

Thanks! They're not really changes, though - this is a whole new ship. The original used built-up versions of the old Black Seas Baricuda-era hull pieces, whereas this one employs the newer parts from more recent pirate waves. As I said in the OP, I actually prefer the traditional hull, but it forces you to use a non-uniform (or disjointed) color scheme for the sides. The new parts give me an opportunity to take banding right to the waterline, even if the shaping of the trascom is marred slightly by necessary SNOTting. I think the tradeoff is ultimately worth it (Athena's Rage mounted only 28 heavy guns; Valkyrie has 36), but it also helped to jump the parts count past 3,000 :/.

I do hope to eventually build this ship, but I need a new job first.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

One more photo. I made some slight alterations to the ship: 1) I added two hatches in the upper deck (not the weather deck) to allow for on/offloading of cargo (not pictured). They weren't originally included because I was so tired that I forgot about them while building the ship this morning. 2) I altered the shaping of the hull just beneath the stern gilding. The original parts I had utilized here were not available in reddish brown, and I want to be able to construct the vessel eventually. 3) I added more blue to the stern. While this isn't an enormous change, I feel like the effect is rather dramatic overall.

Q6IdsI1.png

On 9/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, ProvenceTristram said:

Thanks! They're not really changes, though - this is a whole new ship. The original used built-up versions of the old Black Seas Baricuda-era hull pieces, whereas this one employs the newer parts from more recent pirate waves. As I said in the OP, I actually prefer the traditional hull, but it forces you to use a non-uniform (or disjointed) color scheme for the sides. The new parts give me an opportunity to take banding right to the waterline, even if the shaping of the trascom is marred slightly by necessary SNOTting. I think the tradeoff is ultimately worth it (Athena's Rage mounted only 28 heavy guns; Valkyrie has 36), but it also helped to jump the parts count past 3,000 :/.

I do hope to eventually build this ship, but I need a new job first.

Don't feel bad..  I have a large ship that is 14,000 parts 3 foot long lol.  I'm afraid I may never see it in bricks myself. 

Every time I see such a cool ship build I feel the urge to try myself at it as well.

Really cool ship. I love the dark blue color and the details. The finished ship will be awesome, I am sure!

That would actually make for a good set to sell! I would buy it most definitely. I saw the Götheborg at the Amsterdam sail 2010, and this absolutely captures her likeness. Yes, this should be a set.