jlassen

Heartlake Express... My Lego Friends Train

I wanted to created a Friends-themed diesel engine…. An early F7 style diesel locomotive that could be pulling a set of streamlined passenger coaches. There is plenty of commuter rail in the US still using old diesel workhorses like the fp40, so I figured a theoretical “Heartlake Express” Might be running something a bit older and more streamlined.

29789644137_bfb6225715_c.jpg

I started off with  Murdoch17’s EMD demonstrator (Here’s a link to version 3, but I modded an earlier version). I liked the 2 color livery design, and it seemed like it would be a pretty straightforward conversion to a “Heartlake Express” style livery.  Given the existing parts and colors, Medium Lavender and white would be a good color scheme with some of the more functional bits (handgraps, vents on top and sides, etc. getting a light blue grey.

42917270620_851c7c4617_c.jpg

I flirted with trying to make the trucks light blue grey, but I decided to keep them black so they would match a powered truck, as well as a custom unpowered one of the original design. I kept the 1x3 arch in the front nose Magenta, since the piece doesn’t exist in Lavender, and the extra splash of color at the nose feels fine. I could have made this piece white, but I wanted to break it up the white on the nose and continue the color from the sides...even if it was a different color. I Considered using Magenta for some other trim or accents… we will see. Maybe on the coaches.

44008699324_aa9939d69e_c.jpg

First thing I did was slightly redesign the nose. I wanted to hint at a streamline diesel design, rather than a heavy hauling switcher. I did keep the ability to light up the front headlight, from the original design by Murdock17…. There’s room to run a lego train light wire all the way to the powerbrick, undeneath the drivers compartment.

Next Major thing I did was redisn the base plate so it had an opening for a powered truck cable. Given the placement of the wheels in the original design, I couldn’t use an existing train base plate, but given the double plate thickness of the original design, it wasn’t hard to keep it strong and functional. I also changed the color scheme on the undertanks below the center of the baseplate to match the rest of the “functional trim.”

The cab  windows were a challenge since there was no good window that looked good on the side of the cab in the correct color, so I built a frame and have open windows. Might be okay to ad a 1x1 Lavender brick and 1x1 see through brick, but I’ll leave em open for now.

The ladder up between the hand grips didn’t have a 1x2x1 panel in the correct color, so I built out a slightly deeper solution for the lavender portion of the steps. Not perfect, but meh.  

I also think it's possible to build functional opening doors with the 1x4 swivel base, even though they don’t come in the right color, using tile plates… but that bit of detail along with the above “window” fix may be for the next version..

Since there aren’t any doors, I need to make this with a removable top to put the figures inside and to also allow easy access to the Power Brick. In order to do that, I had to move the side vents down 1 plate lower. I opted for a single removable top. With the new power functions receiver, it can be completely internal… No need for a line of sight IR transceiver. Just a 4x4x8 block internally.

29790226137_a20cd383af_c.jpg

Next big thing was to create an interior driver’s compartment. I rejiggered some of the front interior, so I could simply place a built out cockpit block inside the body.  This allows for replacing a mini-doll cockpit with a minfig cockpit. Most modern Lego city trains only have room for 1 operator, but I added a side facing control counsel, since there is so much room inside this.

42916951940_defecbd8e1.jpg

A bit out of spec for the prototype, as this driver area extends it back where the side venting is.. But again… I don’t care… It’s a nice balance between external visuals, and play value. I could add windows up there, and where the front top vent is, but that too is for a 2.0, I think.  I could also then move the fans back to be above the theoretical placement of the diesel engines.

With the driver’s compartment section and the power brick providing a bunch of stability, I removed all the crossbeams that ran through the interior of the original design, and created a base for the power brick that allows cables to run underneath it.  If I was really being hardcore, I would make the front roof, and the back roof separately detachable. But all one piece probably provides a bit more stability. Also given the rear grab handles, I could possible make a visible Diesel engine in back section, but I’ll save that for version 2.0. There is probably an opportunity to use the fan hole as a place for the power on/power off switch.  Again, something for 2.0, I think.

42916949860_6cfc9760ac_c.jpg

I didn’t care for how the transparent dishes looked on the side of the original model, so I swapped them out form some round plates… The original prototype had windows under the vent, and that is what the dishes were modeling, but I decided for some external knobley/crunchy bits to break up the side panel. In real life these dieseals were constantly getting cutouts, and boxes welded onto the side, as engine and component upgrades demanded.

I made the front round tile  on the side a pre-printed piece from the lego elves set.  This would be a nice spot for a custom printed Heart Lake Express logo…. A heart with Wings...

44008658844_b94faab27c_z.jpg

Great idea jlassen, I only fear the Friends figures won't fit or would they? 

I created the driver compartment specifically for mini-dolls.. the friends figures... Engineer would fit sitting down, and it's got a Panel that the doll feet slot into to hold it in place under the control panel. Rear/side seat may need to be lowered a plate so mini doll head doesn't hit top.. not sure. But either way the minidolls will fit in the shown compartment. Two more can stand on the edge of the compartment on either side of the center seat. Pretty sure I can cram 4 mini-dolls into there.  :)

Well than you nailed it :) It is a little hard to see how much space is needed and available, I already noticed you used panels of course. Are you going to build it or?

Doesn't look very Friends-y to me. It's more or less just a traditional Diesel locomotive in a slightly unusual color. If you wanted to make it fit in with the actual Friends overall design philosophy, it would have to be changed considerably, like e.g. substituting more grey elements for different colors, changing the proportions of the windshield/ upper section and all that good stuff. Also the train wouldn't have any exhaust vents because it would run on flower-scented water or electrically... :-)

Mylenium

This is a great first effort.  I'd jazz it up with a few other Friends colours, and make it less diesel in design.  Overall, I like, though.

:classic: Beverly

Lovely EMD F unit you have there.  I think it looks great (considering the relatively limited number of parts you have to work with due to the color selection), and would fit right in pulling commuter trains in Heartlake City.

There's actually a few short-line railroads around where I live (the Gettysburg &Northern Railroad, for example) that actually still run EMD F units for pulling trains.

Edited by Laura Takayama
typos

11 hours ago, JopieK said:

Well than you nailed it :) It is a little hard to see how much space is needed and available, I already noticed you used panels of course. Are you going to build it or?

Yeah.  I'm going to be buying the new (cargo, i think) train sometime this month, and will use the powered trucks and receiver from that to power the heart-lake express at some point... Though I'll probably tinker through V2 and 3 of the engine by the time I get around to building it and some commuter carriages... Hopefully by Christmas!

I have all of the white and grey pieces already, and lot of Lavender pieces already... but I think 2-3 coaches worth of lavender will require some special orders.... 

9 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Doesn't look very Friends-y to me. It's more or less just a traditional Diesel locomotive in a slightly unusual color. If you wanted to make it fit in with the actual Friends overall design philosophy, it would have to be changed considerably, like e.g. substituting more grey elements for different colors, changing the proportions of the windshield/ upper section and all that good stuff. Also the train wouldn't have any exhaust vents because it would run on flower-scented water or electrically... :-)

Mylenium

bah. Vintage diesel-electric, which has been converted to run on biodiesel?  Seems very "Friends" to me. :) 

And when the Friends characters discover that the evil mayor is trying to destroy Heartlake City's commuter rail, they band together to stop him, by revealing the donations from auto manufacturers, and explaining to the public (via, among other things, an all-star benefit concert, of course) how commuter rail is one of the key-ways to stop global climate...

Their campaign results in EXPANDED service, instead of destruction of the line, with 3 more EMD 103's being converted to Biodesiel!   wooo! go Friends-theme Fan-fic!

24 minutes ago, jlassen said:

Yeah.  I'm going to be buying the new (cargo, i think) train sometime this month, and will use the powered trucks and receiver from that to power the heart-lake express at some point... Though I'll probably tinker through V2 and 3 of the engine by the time I get around to building it and some commuter carriages... Hopefully by Christmas!

I have all of the white and grey pieces already, and lot of Lavender pieces already... but I think 2-3 coaches worth of lavender will require some special orders.... 

bah. Vintage diesel-electric, which has been converted to run on biodiesel?  Seems very "Friends" to me. :) 

And when the Friends characters discover that the evil mayor is trying to destroy Heartlake City's commuter rail, they band together to stop him, by revealing the donations from auto manufacturers, and explaining to the public (via, among other things, an all-star benefit concert, of course) how commuter rail is one of the key-ways to stop global climate...

Their campaign results in EXPANDED service, instead of destruction of the line, with 3 more EMD 103's being converted to Biodesiel!   wooo! go Friends-theme Fan-fic!

Love what you've done with the 103 model, and I think the backstory is top-notch awesome! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what you do next!

Nice job.  Have you considered white for the hand rails?   It's more visible than bley for engineer's safety.  If you plan to use a train motor, you may have to adjust the fuel tank and/or mount point.  It looks like it might be in way of the longer motor bogie. Don't forget the Ad Blue (urea) exhaust gas scrubber for extra enviro-Friendliness bonus points.  :wink:

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Nice job.  Have you considered white for the hand rails?   It's more visible than bley for engineer's safety.  If you plan to use a train motor, you may have to adjust the fuel tank and/or mount point.  It looks like it might be in way of the longer motor bogie. Don't forget the Ad Blue (urea) exhaust gas scrubber for extra enviro-Friendliness bonus points.  :wink:

ack.  Good point about the Powered truck being two studs longer. I guess the whole damn thing is going to be 2 studs longer....  GIves room for another Diesel engine in there.  No problem. Its now a EMD 103PH conversion for commuter rail server.

My opinion would be, based on the other friends sets I see around (and have got dismantled in my parts boxes) would be that a Friends train would be closer to a bullet train in design. Potentially with a similar colour scheme and possibly nose as the 41317 Catamaran.

Nose from the catamaran, sleek driver area along your design lines, then potentially similar design to the 60051 train - which I think is sleeker than the new 60157.

Just my 2c. And now an idea that I might look into building... ;)

Looks great!  Maybe just a bit of trim in medium azure, dark purple or magenta to make it a little more Friendsy. 

2 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

My opinion would be, based on the other friends sets I see around (and have got dismantled in my parts boxes) would be that a Friends train would be closer to a bullet train in design. Potentially with a similar colour scheme and possibly nose as the 41317 Catamaran.

Nose from the catamaran, sleek driver area along your design lines, then potentially similar design to the 60051 train - which I think is sleeker than the new 60157.

I think you are right about the design. Heartlake would have a 60051 style bullet train, in white with magenta and dark azure accents. And it would be really, really clean.

11 hours ago, kiwinewt said:

I'd love to see your efforts. I too though about some of the boat and plane Magenta Pieces, and a more sleek commuter.  But for this one I'm opting for a diesel punk look. A victorian Rail station done up in friends colors clearly needs to follow this project. I saw someone convert a city building to a railway station, and that got me thinking about what Freinds set would be a rail/conversion options. I like the cupcake cafe facade and details... that might make a good train station. :)

quick Version 2.0

Went back to the original nose.

Added driver compartment side windows.

Lengthened it by 2 studs to accommodate powered trucks in back. 

Added extra fan, and moved them all back.

Spread out the external decorative round tiles, to correspond to external  Ad Blue (urea) exhaust gas scrubber units (LOL thanks Dr. Spock).. one on either side of each engine.

white hand rail!

Bottom grey steps. 

Vents all along the bottom to visually tie into the grey steps

Undertanks colored to match front magenta nose splash

42962185940_0a86850cd4_c.jpg

42962186350_1804e11847_c.jpg

Now onto some commuter carriages. I'd like to find some double decker commuter carriages but haven't found any 6 wide designs that I really like.  I need to have a trailing Cab/carriage with a drive compartiment, so the train can be run in either push or pull mode, like a lot of contemporary diesel powered commuters...

Edited by jlassen
typo

@jlassen I've been thinking about making a F-unit variant using one of those helicopter/cargo plane noses, after seeing Brick Musher's NOHAB MY trains (which were based on EMD E/F units & built under license from EMD) that used that same technique... Unfortunately the only Friends colors they make those parts in are White & Lime Green... I was going to buy that one fairly current City Police set that has the police helicopter in standard blue for making one in colors for this custom railroad I have in mind.

OMG. look at that. I had no idea Heartlake city was on the east coast!  :)

Yes. completely by accident. LOL

Edited by jlassen

15 hours ago, BurkusCircus said:

Could you try having that entire bottom stripe magenta? Looks great regardless?

I was thinking the same. If all the parts exist this might look more consistent.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I was thinking the same. If all the parts exist this might look more consistent.

I was thinking that as well... I mean it was fairly common for RRs to have a stripe with a 3rd color on these types of locomotives.

Awesome MOC! Personally I always envisioned more curvy, streamlined high-speed trains as the best fit for the Heartlake City aesthetic, but it is neat to see that a more vintage sort of train can also be adapted to a Heartlake City setting.

One thing I might suggest is to perhaps incorporate more contrasting colors. While Friends definitely does tend to include more purples and pinks than City/Town, it also tends to have a big emphasis on color harmonies. For instance, consider how the plane in Heartlake City Airport juxtaposes Medium Lavender with contrasting Flame Yellowish Orange accents and LOTS of white, or how Heartlake Private Jet has a triadic color scheme of Medium Azur, Flame Yellowish Orange, and Bright Reddish Violet.

By contrast, this train's current color scheme is almost monochromatic, with only a few Bright Reddish Violet pieces offering a contrast in hue. I think perhaps the best way to remedy this on this model while keeping the same overall look might actually be to add some Bright Yellow, Flame Yellowish Orange, or Warm Gold accents sort of like that gorgeous Atlantic Coast Line train @zephyr1934 linked above! As a bonus, the decorated 2x2 tile you're currently using already has some Flame Yellowish Orange accents, so adding more bricks in that or a similar color will help that element fit in even better!

On 9/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, jlassen said:

OMG. look at that. I had no idea Heartlake city was on the east coast!  :)

Believe it or not this actually appears as though it may be LEGO Friends canon, at least for the sets — the clock sticker in Heartlake Grand Hotel shows the time as 3 hours ahead of Los Angeles, putting it in the Eastern Time Zone (UTC-05:00).

On 9/20/2018 at 7:40 AM, zephyr1934 said:

It looks like you (accidentally?) stumbled in to the Atlantic Coast Line

*lol* Could just as well be the Rheingold Express. At least for some time the also had a purple livery.

Mylenium

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Believe it or not this actually appears as though it may be LEGO Friends canon, at least for the sets

Should this even matter? It could just as well be some hidden island somewhere. Just sayin'...

Mylenium

2 hours ago, Mylenium said:

*lol* Could just as well be the Rheingold Express. At least for some time the also had a purple livery.

Mylenium

Should this even matter? It could just as well be some hidden island somewhere. Just sayin'...

Mylenium

Sure, there's all kinds of places it could be, and I doubt LEGO is ever going to want it pinned down to one specific place — it's just that the North American east coast encompasses a lot of places that are compatible with the time difference from LA and Tokyo as shown on that sticker. I suppose "may be canon" was poor word choice on my part, though.