Sign in to follow this  
kylendm

Display for Star Wars UCS sets?

Recommended Posts

Visited IKEA today. MILSBO is so new, they didn't have it on display. But they had a freshly unpacked SAMMANHANG table. It's 69x69x21cm on the inside. The sliding doors open to 32x18cm, but it's now problem to lift the glass plate to put in larger pieces. It's definitely worth the €69,99, felt pretty stable. I just don't like the color that well. A minor issue is the glass. It sits on a piece of rubber in each corner, but there are none on the sides, so the glass droops a little and the corners stick out. But there's nothing better on the market for that money, so i'll buy it, when my living room is ready for furniture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Visited IKEA today. MILSBO is so new, they didn't have it on display. But they had a freshly unpacked SAMMANHANG table. It's 69x69x21cm on the inside. The sliding doors open to 32x18cm, but it's now problem to lift the glass plate to put in larger pieces. It's definitely worth the €69,99, felt pretty stable. I just don't like the color that well. A minor issue is the glass. It sits on a piece of rubber in each corner, but there are none on the sides, so the glass droops a little and the corners stick out. But there's nothing better on the market for that money, so i'll buy it, when my living room is ready for furniture.

That's a pretty promising report on the table. I guess you could just put in a few small rubber pieces on the sides to fix the drooping.The thing that bothers me now that I look at it again is those holes in the side doors. Kind of defeats the purpose for me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, brobert said:

That's a pretty promising report on the table. I guess you could just put in a few small rubber pieces on the sides to fix the drooping.The thing that bothers me now that I look at it again is those holes in the side doors. Kind of defeats the purpose for me...

Thought the same about the rubber. Maybe i don't use 'em at all, we'll see. Glas like this is pretty cheap. I'm sure you can get pieces to replace the doors for a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted IKEA regarding the cooperation. The answer was to ask at my local IKEA. As if the would know more...

It's wait and see, i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to bump this. Anyone found a decent solution yet? From Sweden here.

I've been searching frantically for a display cabinet that's mostly glass, and it seems fricking IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of. All IKEA solutions have either wooden sides, so you can't see the models unless from the front, or thick wooden borders for the glass doors. I assume it's because it's cheaper and safer to transport. The only exceptions are Milsbo and Detolf but both are too narrow. I'd prefer something that's at least 95 cm wide. But there's literally no options.

There are some semi-shady business solutions out there, where you can buy a display cabinet meant for stores and museums. But they are at least $1500 and weigh like 100 kg. Trying to get that into my apartment would likely end in a catastrophe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No luck here either. The situation really is hilarious. There are products out there, but at insane rates. Luckily i got a very stable left over cabinet that's big enough to house 2 MILFs. The top part already has glass doors. I'll cut out large parts of the sides and the lower doors and replace it with glass or plexi. A lot of cutting, sanding and painting ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i bought a ikea table and made a few modifications to it:) plexi on the sides and lowered the bottom and added some lights to it and added some plexi on top :) 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144415325@N02/0288ZS  here is the result

https://www.ikea.com/no/no/p/hemnes-bord-hvit-hvit-beis-10176287/  here is the table i used

and if anyone have some good ideas for modifications feel free to tell me:) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, andreso said:

i bought a ikea table and made a few modifications to it:) plexi on the sides and lowered the bottom and added some lights to it and added some plexi on top :) 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144415325@N02/0288ZS  here is the result

https://www.ikea.com/no/no/p/hemnes-bord-hvit-hvit-beis-10176287/  here is the table i used

and if anyone have some good ideas for modifications feel free to tell me:) 

Very, very cool. The only thing would be a bigger opening on top. But that would require the right tools not everybody owns (like a router) or professional help to put a real glass plate in. It's the perfect size to snuggly fit the Falcon. Very well done sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Very, very cool. The only thing would be a bigger opening on top. But that would require the right tools not everybody owns (like a router) or professional help to put a real glass plate in. It's the perfect size to snuggly fit the Falcon. Very well done sir!

  thanks :) I was thinking about it but i got voted Down . With 2 kids and try to keep the glass plate clean and not get smashed i ended up With a small plexi plate on top:P hehe but was a fun build :) Now im trying to figure out a New build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current situation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/

Lots of LACK. That's about 8 meters of LEGO SW. You'll notice i used vertical LACKs to support the horizontal ones. Next week i'll have a friend come over to help me drag the future cabinet for the UCS MILF out of the basement. Will post pics of the upcycling process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

My current situation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/

Lots of LACK. That's about 8 meters of LEGO SW. You'll notice i used vertical LACKs to support the horizontal ones. Next week i'll have a friend come over to help me drag the future cabinet for the UCS MILF out of the basement. Will post pics of the upcycling process.

im following u on flickr now, good to see that im not the only one spending to much Money on lego:P look Nice btw i like ur setup :)  do u modify ur lego or keep them Stock?

Edited by andreso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, andreso said:

im following u on flickr now, good to see that im not the only one spending to much Money on lego:P look Nice btw i like ur setup :) 

Dito :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

My current situation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/

Lots of LACK. That's about 8 meters of LEGO SW. You'll notice i used vertical LACKs to support the horizontal ones. Next week i'll have a friend come over to help me drag the future cabinet for the UCS MILF out of the basement. Will post pics of the upcycling process.

Nice shelf! I wish Legos aren't dust magnets though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

My current situation:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/

Lots of LACK. That's about 8 meters of LEGO SW. You'll notice i used vertical LACKs to support the horizontal ones. Next week i'll have a friend come over to help me drag the future cabinet for the UCS MILF out of the basement. Will post pics of the upcycling process.

what cabinet are u planning on using for Falcon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, andreso said:

what cabinet are u planning on using for Falcon? 

This one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/albums/72157710756647882

About 92cm wide and high, 44cm deep x2. In fact it consists of 2 parts. Must have been a modular furniture line about 30 years ago. Only the upper part has glass doors. The sides, the wooden doors, the top and the two panels separating the parts will get cutouts as big as possible for glass inserts. Lots of sanding and painting ahead :sick:

Edit: Found typo.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

This one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/albums/72157710756647882

About 92cm wide and high, 44cm deep x2. In fact it consists of 2 parts. Must have been a modular furniture line about 30 years ago. Only the upper part has glass doors. The sides, the wooden doors, the top and the two panels separation the parts will get cutouts as big as possible for glass inserts. Lots of sanding and painting ahead :sick:

good Luck With that :) looking forward to see the end result :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

This one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153780658@N02/albums/72157710756647882

About 92cm wide and high, 44cm deep x2. In fact it consists of 2 parts. Must have been a modular furniture line about 30 years ago. Only the upper part has glass doors. The sides, the wooden doors, the top and the two panels separating the parts will get cutouts as big as possible for glass inserts. Lots of sanding and painting ahead :sick:

Edit: Found typo.

I could imagine that with a nice space-style backround and cool LED lights... I'm also curious what you come up with! :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 2:24 PM, legosamsonite said:

Anyone know whether or not the sammanhang will fit cloud city?

The table? Yes. Measurements here:

 

Finally done. First time using a router. Some mall spots to fill, but nothing serious. The top part came with glass dors. The lower doors and the sides will get thin plexi. The top, the separating panel and 3 shelves will be made of 8mm glass. But sanding and painting first. And some LED strips ^^

Spoiler
20191102_13494920191102_13500920191102_14341420191102_14342920191109_16441420191109_16442220191109_16443220191109_16443920191109_164503

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

The table? Yes. Measurements here:

 

Finally done. First time using a router. Some mall spots to fill, but nothing serious. The top part came with glass dors. The lower doors and the sides will get thin plexi. The top, the separating panel and 3 shelves will be made of 8mm glass. But sanding and painting first. And some LED strips ^^

 

Dang that looks good! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.