Sign in to follow this  
kylendm

Display for Star Wars UCS sets?

I don't know if this belongs here but I'm having a hard time finding display cabinets/cases for my UCS sets. I have the tie fighter, b-wing, snow speeder, y wing, and slave 1. I've checked local places like Walmart and target but their stuff is too small to fit the taller sets. My budget is $300 max. 

If you go looking around on the internet some people make specific glass cages for UCS models and have them for sale

2 hours ago, WTFett said:

IKEA Vittsjo work well

The problem with that, is that it's not closed. From the way OP formulated the question I assume he's looking for closed solutions, which is exactly case (no pun intended) in which I found myself lately.

I settled for a Fabrikör from IKEA, because the other one I have from there (Detolf) is also too small for UCS sets. Now I have the 2-door version of the former, which is not as tall as I wanted, but at least the shelves you can set as high as you want, and it fits a UCS TIE and the Slave-I nicely.

One downside though is that there the doors have quite a wide border, which blocks visibility, but rather this, than letting them collect dust for another year until I find something more viable. Also the price is OK, for a mostly glass piece of furniture.

54 minutes ago, brobert said:

The problem with that, is that it's not closed. From the way OP formulated the question I assume he's looking for closed solutions, which is exactly case (no pun intended) in which I found myself lately.

I settled for a Fabrikör from IKEA, because the other one I have from there (Detolf) is also too small for UCS sets. Now I have the 2-door version of the former, which is not as tall as I wanted, but at least the shelves you can set as high as you want, and it fits a UCS TIE and the Slave-I nicely.

One downside though is that there the doors have quite a wide border, which blocks visibility, but rather this, than letting them collect dust for another year until I find something more viable. Also the price is OK, for a mostly glass piece of furniture.

I agree about the dust, and I'm hoping running an air purifier and trying to keep up with dusting will do the trick.  A closed case would be the best solution obviously, but all the "display" cases I've seen are prohibitively expensive.

There's something new called SAMMANHANG. Only 21cm deep, but thinner frame and a mirror in the back.

I'm pretty sure you already heard about the LEGO/IKEA partnership. IKEA plans to sell cabinets for LEGO models. I hope SAMMAHANG isn't what they had in mind. Probably you should wait some months.

I thought about EXPEDIA/KALLAX without separators and custom glass doors for my setup...

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

Yeah I was looking for a glass enclosed one. I see the retail display cabinets but they are far too expensive for me in my apartment haha. 

I'll keep looking at ikea. Maybe a custom glass front on one of their cabinets would work. 

If anyone has any other ideas please share! Feel free to share pictures too, it might help with brainstorming. :) 

2x LACK 190x26 cm and 2x LACK 30x26 cm = €52. Arrange them as rectangle and you got yourself a nice wall-cabinet with 180x26x30cm on the inside. Actually i'm thinking about using 4x 190cm and 2x 110cm (cut to 90cm) for a wall to wall cabinet in my new living room. Inside goes LEGO, books go on top. Since i got massive walls, using good screws and dowels the weight shouldn't be a problem. 

On 9/17/2018 at 7:51 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

There's something new called SAMMANHANG. Only 21cm deep, but thinner frame and a mirror in the back.

I'm pretty sure you already heard about the LEGO/IKEA partnership. IKEA plans to sell cabinets for LEGO models. I hope SAMMAHANG isn't what they had in mind. Probably you should wait some months.

I thought about EXPEDIA/KALLAX without separators and custom glass doors for my setup...

If Lego are going to partner with Ikea they should definitely sync up the display area sizes with standard baseplate sizes. Kallax is close. The depth fits perfectly for a 48x48 plate but the widths of the squares don't match.

It's a shame as they do a glass door and shelf accessory which would be perfect for displaying most smaller sets just nothing on the size of a UCS.

I've removed the top dividers out of a 4x4 Kallax unit and the SSD fits perfectly within it. 

Looking at the press release for the Ikea collaboration and I'm guessing it's more about storage units with baseplates on top rather than display units. 

Edited by SquirrelArmy

Don't forget to browse the IKEA Hacker website for inspiration. There's plenty of nice ideas over there.

This thread would be far more interesting if folks posted photos of their current display. I currently only have the Falcon but I'm looking forward to putting some kind of hangar display together in some kind of case featuring the system scale (and therefore in sale more with the Falcon itself) A-Wings, X-Wing and Y-Wing. Then I'll be a B-Wing and the UCS Imperial Shuttle away from recreating the Home One Hangar from Return of the Jedi. #lifegoals

3 hours ago, stevej said:

This thread would be far more interesting if folks posted photos of their current display.

I'm currently preparing my new flat. Next week i'll raid IKEA and post the results.

I always wondered why there is no section/sub-forum for this. In forums about aquariums this is quite normal and it is a tremendous source for inspirations.

Edited by m4st3rt3ch

On 9/21/2018 at 12:39 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

I'm currently preparing my new flat. Next week i'll raid IKEA and post the results.

I always wondered why there is no section/sub-forum for this. In forums about aquariums this is quite normal and it is a tremendous source for inspirations.

I think I've seen a thread like this once...problem is, they are usually abandoned for some time, and no one is taking the time to search for them, just opening a new one...unfortunately, this forum engine is quite rudimentary, it's a pain to search for something (or to post photos for that matter, but hey, it's free)

Edited by brobert

SAMMANHANG is indeed at least part of a new series for displaying stuff, because look at what i found today:

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/20412444/

sammanhang-couchtisch-grau__0598262_PE67

70x70x37cm, the inside should be about 18cm high and you can open it from 2 sides. Not spacious enough for the UCS Falcon, but i don't own an UCS Falcon, i need a new couch table and it's only €69,99.

And then there are these cool cubes for smaller models.

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/10413849/

sammanhang-sammlerrahmen-mit-abdeckung-s

Won't buy the cubes, rather use LACK shelves, but the table is on my list.

10 hours ago, Dukeside said:

That looks nice. How is it at keeping dust out? That’s my main problem. 

I don't know, but since it is completely enclosed...

On 10/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/30396448/#/00396416

...is quite nice, too. 4 shelves with 68x37x~40cm. You can have it in black, too.

milsbo-vitrine-wei-__0647476_PE704494_S4

This one says max weight it can carry is 5 kg. Anyone have experience with the way Ikea determines these max weights? I was thinking of getting an Ikea Fabrikor (the wide version 82x113x42) to display Ninjago City and City Docks next to each other and it has a max weight of 10 kg mentioned on the label, those two sets weigh more than that together.

As for SW UCS sets, I am using Ikea Besta base units with glass doors: 60x64x40cm and 60x38x40cm measurements that can be stacked on top of each other, each easily fits a UCS set plus some smaller sets and looks very nice.

I think it's 5kg/shelf. Have a look at the other photos. The stuff inside is way more than 5kg. I'll visit my local IKEA next week and have a look at all these new goodies :)

hm...this new Milsbo line is quite interesting...the problem with the high vitrine though is it's only 37 cm deep..many UCS sets wouldn't fit there I'm afraid. Altough the TIE for example is only 31cm, on the stand it doesn't fit because of the tilt... I could barely fit it in the Fabrikör, which is 42 cm.

I think there's more in the pipeline. Absolute silence since the press release for the LEGO-IKEA-alliance in early june. No way they wouldn't promote the results.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:04 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

I think it's 5kg/shelf. Have a look at the other photos. The stuff inside is way more than 5kg. I'll visit my local IKEA next week and have a look at all these new goodies :)

Yeah it makes little sense to me unless its 5kg per shelf. Has anyone put multiple heavy sets in a IKEA Fabrikor?

On 10/6/2018 at 3:18 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

SAMMANHANG is indeed at least part of a new series for displaying stuff, because look at what i found today:

https://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/20412444/

70x70x37cm, the inside should be about 18cm high and you can open it from 2 sides. Not spacious enough for the UCS Falcon, but i don't own an UCS Falcon, i need a new couch table and it's only €69,99.

This table really got to me, unfortunately I relatively recently got a new coffee table, but size would be perfect for me, and it could fit the Snowspeeder and the Y-wing at the same time..too bad the inner size is not specified but I think it should be taller than 18 cm...but definitely not enough for the Y-wing on the stand, which is already 24 cm...:cry_sad: But for the price...I might even consider it for a Cantina display...

If you have a bigger budget check out this site. moducase.xyz they ship form Singapore and seem reasonable, will get mine in November.