Sign in to follow this  
Schwa

Do You Consider the Unikitty Blind Bags to be CMF?

Unikitty Series 1  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the Unikitty Blind Bags to be CMFs?

A few questions:

1. Do you consider the Unikitty blind bags to be CMF?

2. Would you display them with CMF?

These questions are something which I am pondering and developing my thoughts too. My views will come soon. 

I’m more or less indifferent because I’ve never cared much about or assigned much value to whether a character is/isn’t a minifigure. Like, I wouldn’t treat R2-D2 and C-3PO figures any differently just because one uses standard minifigure parts and one does not. Nor would I arbitrarily assign a higher value to Ant-Man than Giant-Man in the grounds that the latter is too big, too poseable, or made of too many pieces. I mean, they’re all characters, and WHO they are matters to me more than how they’re built.

And sure, the Unikitty blind bags aren’t a part of the Minifigures theme, so from LEGO’s perspective they’re a separate category from the other series of blind-bag figures. Again, though, that’s not really a big deal for my collection. I currently keep my LEGO Movie, LEGO Batman Movie, and LEGO Ninjago Movie figures together whether they came in blind bags or not. If/when I finally break down and start collecting the Unikitty theme I expect I’ll do the same with its characters — no matter what sort of set they came in or how they’re built.

The way I see it, strictly defining categories is typically a thing completionists worry about, and one they decide less according to any objective system or official definitions than according to whatever lets them exclude the sets/figures of a certain type that they don’t like/don’t want/can’t get and still insist on having a complete collection. I’ve seen about as many people who consider Haunted House and Old Fishing Store modular buildings as who don’t consider Market Street a modular building. Likewise when people debate about whether “near Earth” themes like Life on Mars, Mars Mission, and Alien Conquest are “real” Space themes, whether G2 (2015-2016) Bionicle pieces are real Bionicle pieces, or whether bigfigs are real minifigs, what side they take depends heavily on their opinions on and access to the items in dispute.

No. They are not.

Those are brick built characters, not minifigures. 

Also, not CMF logo there

I don’t even consider CMF to be CMF (i.e., “CMF” isn’t an official term), so no.

That said, though LEGO uses the term “minifigure” in a pretty specific, precise way, it’s not as though it’s an official term or anything; there are other toy companies entirely that use the term “minifigure” for other, totally different types of small figures. Hasbro uses it for the little 2-inches-or-so molded PVC My Little Pony figures. If other companies that aren’t even LEGO can describe their miniature figures as “minifigures”, then I think it’s really up to us whether we want to call the Unikitty figures minifigures or not.

1: No

2: Yes, if I was into Unikitty, which I am totally not. 

I actually consider the various robots and dogs to be CMFs as well if they are in the character lineup on the boxart, even though from what I understand, most don't. So if someone wants to call their Unikitty figures CMFs, I honestly don't see why they shouldn't, not could I care less. 

On 9/16/2018 at 11:20 PM, Schwa said:

A few questions:

1. Do you consider the Unikitty blind bags to be CMF?

2. Would you display them with CMF?

Sorry I am still new to Lego. Could someone kindly explain it to me what CMF is? I keep reading a lot of this word

No, because they are not branded that way. But I don't care if people want to call them that.

I would say yes. Brickset also has Unikitty listed in the minifigure tab for sets. I mean...she isn’t, but she kinda is...:wall: There are other brick built figs that are considered minifigs. 

11 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I would say yes. Brickset also has Unikitty listed in the minifigure tab for sets. I mean...she isn’t, but she kinda is...:wall: There are other brick built figs that are considered minifigs. 

Brickset gets its minifigure data from BrickLink, which has long had a fairly generous definition of what they consider a minifigure (for example, brick-built droids from Classic Space sets have long been listed as minifigs on BrickLink, as have other figure types like Duplo and Fabuland figures).

It goes without saying that the Minifigures theme has typically stuck to a much stricter definition of "Minifigure" — the furthest any have deviated from a standard head-torso-legs build is Maggie from The Simpsons series, who has both a unique head and a unique one-piece body. Yet even in that case her head and body are analogous in function to a traditional minifigure head and torso. This is partly a practical consideration — since each series of minifigures gets a shared instruction/checklist leaflet, it would be inconvenient to have to have separate instructions for wildly different builds in the same series (although, some of the more recent series there have been up to seven figures requiring more specific instructions due to increasingly varied neck and hip accessories).

Edited by Aanchir

9 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

It looks like things might be changing a bit here, now...

Jesus

I just dont get how canUnikitty be considered a minifigure?

2 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Jesus

I just dont get how canUnikitty be considered a minifigure?

Well, “minifigure” is just a word invented to refer to a miniature figure. It isn’t even LEGO-specific; Hasbro uses it to refer to their small PVC My Little Pony figures.

It's not a Minifigure in the technical sense (bricks wise), but it's a character that's repeated enough to have made a name within the LEGO franchise, across multiple themes and waves of sets, and 2 movies and TV presence.

But it's still not a true minifigure in my eyes.

Even something like a Scurrier is closer to a Minifigure as it uses a premade part with arms added on by the factory. It's like a "hybrid".

.nex020.t1.png

Unlike brick-built characters like the Brickster who uses arms added by the builder itself using standard technic pin connection.

nex092.t1.png

I feel unikitty still falls into the 2nd category of brick-built characters.

Edited by TeriXeri