HoMa

LEGO VT 11.5 Trans Europ Express (TEE)

Damn, I forgot, Holgers question.

I'd stick with the "shiny" light grey. As if it were directly from the production line, got seriously cleaned, waxed up - and came into the LEGO universe in all its beauty.

All the best,
Thorsten

Beautiful model of the TEE @HoMa - really well executed (arguably your best yet :)

Do you plan to make the design of this one available for sale?

Regarding the colour question - the light grey looks much better to me. 

Edited by ElectroDiva

On 9/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, HoMa said:

30829447548_f52f72a80a_c.jpg

Today I present my LEGO version of the famous German VT 11.5 Trans Europ Express – or just TEE. If you want to know a bit more about the real train, wikipedia helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Class_VT_11.5

It took me a while to finalize this model but I was busy on my building desk the last couple of weeks.

From the specifications:

• 6 units in total (2 engine units and 4 waggons)
  • 3 Power Functions train motors (2 in the front engine unit, on in the back)
  • LEGO LED lights for the train front and end lights
  • 7-wide (my favourite width for LEGO MOC trains)
  • total length ca. 2.5 meters
  • runs through standard LEGO track geometry (even if it looks silly), I prefer BrickTracks curves and TrixBrix/4DBrix switches
  • custom LEGO parts: none
  • modified LEGO parts: 2x 2x4 tile with the TEE logo by http://www.steindrucker.com
  • yellow sticker on the coupling cover from an old LEGO sticker sheet
  • Non-LEGO items
    – a piece of red tape to cover the center LED on the nose
    – interior lights using mini battery powered LEDs (source: https://www.ebay.de/itm/263808902124)
    – Trans Europ Express decal by http://www.modellbahndecals.de/ in scale 1:45

It started all with the idea to use two Brick, Round Corner 3 x 3 x 2 Dome Top for the characteristic nose of the engine units. A much bigger challenge were the grey-silver stripe which swings from the lower front lights up to the driver's cabin. For a long time I favoured a solution using rigid hoses, but it didn't work out and the hose did not "swing". So I ended with the plate variant, at least I did not build any steps.

I also realised the round bull's-eye windows. The first one has to be located as close as possible to the end of the tan section. So the arched brick helped here. We still miss an element which fits between the 1 x 3 x 2 arch and the larger 1 x 6 x 3 arch. But I found a solution using curved solpes covering most of that gap.

29762849997_5f43a95e8e_c.jpg

I am still stuggling with the right colour of the roof section behind the driver's cabin. Originally it should be light bluish grey (same colour as the stripe). But in real live all the grime from the exhausts makes this roof look more dark/dirty. So I also build a dark bluish grey variant. Both can be swaped easily and this feature allows easy access to the rechargeable battery box. Which colour do you prefer for this roof section?

30829456928_d70d2464e4_c.jpg

The rest of the roof also was a nice building experience using some SNOT. I wanted to use dopple-cheese pieces and curves slopes. And the roof should become 7 studs wide. That did not equal out fine so I had to use vertical tile on both sides of the middle brick column. The picture explains the rest of that SNOT nightmare …

But now enjoy some pictures:

29762847257_96b51e443c_c.jpg

30829449768_6f0cf503ac_c.jpg

30829451668_7507dc312d_c.jpg

30829441728_35dd22c329_c.jpg

30829439808_6d7b6ebed9_c.jpg

29762850807_9b832490f1_c.jpg

30829459678_ee46962ebb_c.jpg

More pictures in various sizes on Flickr!

Best regards,
Holger

Really impressive MOC, probably one of the best trains I saw this year.

Keep up the good work

There are no words...

Amazing? Perfection? Beautiful? All applicable to this build. Not only the best train MOC, I’d say the best mid-size MOC I’ve ever seen, ever. Put this bad boy on Ideas and it’d get enough votes easily. I’d buy it for  $250+

As for the roof color, I prefer DBG, but it appears I’m one of a few who think so...

On 9/15/2018 at 11:00 PM, HoMa said:

29762849997_5f43a95e8e_c.jpg

I am still stuggling with the right colour of the roof section behind the driver's cabin. Originally it should be light bluish grey (same colour as the stripe). But in real live all the grime from the exhausts makes this roof look more dark/dirty. So I also build a dark bluish grey variant. Both can be swaped easily and this feature allows easy access to the rechargeable battery box. Which colour do you prefer for this roof section?

Hello Holger,

first of all.. wow. Never seen such a perfect LEGO version of the TEE.
I personally would prefer the light bluish grey. If you want to look more realistic according to the exhausts dust, then you should try to combine it and create transitions from light to dark grey.
However, as exptected, a wonderful train MOC :excited:

My father was also really excited, the TEE was one of his first Märklin H0 trains :wub:

That's a lovely train build! Like how you got the round windows and the colours in, plus the lines. superb. amazing too to get motors and lights in there. have you got a video of it running on the tracks would be sweet to see it in motion with lights and everything ;)

Holger's fantastic train was also featured on this weeks episode of BrickVault's Top 10 MOCS. Three different trains made the episode, it's quite rare to see just one. 

@sed6 thanks for mentioning this video. Never heard of it, so even cooler to see the TEE featured in this episode.

@all, again thanks for your nice comments and feedback here and there on the internet.

Holger

Absolutely brilliant MOC! And the TEE is one of my favourite trains. Well done Holger. :-)

Having seen this extraordinary and legendary TEE IRL as a young boy, I was almost shocked when I saw your absolutely fantastic version in Lego. Goosebumps all over. It's hard to add more comments in addition to what has been said so far. To me, this version of the VT 11.5 TEE is second to no other MOC I have ever seen. Congratulations, Holger! Unfortunately, this train is too large for my 9V Extreme track so I have to keep dreaming and stick to my smaller version..

Edited by Haddock51

… it has been a while when my LEGO TEE did some rides at the exhibitions at Deutsches Dampflok Museum in 2018 and at Bricking Bavaria 2019 in Fürth. Now here comes a little video showing my TEE in motion.

Enjoy!
Holger

Thank you for the video!

I think it is until now the most famous europe train MOC. It was ultimately the reason for buying your book (again). 

This may be not your Intention, but did you thought about to bring this awesome MOC to Lego ideas?

Edited by Pelzer117

Sorry, I just have to ask ?

Did you have something to do with this model from BlueBrixx, Holger?

Edited by dtomsen

30 minutes ago, dtomsen said:

Did you have something to do with this model from BlueBrixx, Holger?

@dtomsen no, I was not involved in this product from BlueBrixx. But I assume that BlueBrixx had a close look at my website and the detailed pictures I've shared here. Mine VT 11.5 is 7-studs wide, comes with head-, front and interior lights and real train windows. Dark red and tan as colours work really well, but I was happy when the LEGO Harley showed up a while ago with these dome elements in dark red which I have used for the nose. So maybe I give it a try to convert my VT 11.5 from red to dark-red?