Sign in to follow this  
Dragunov2

Altered 60052 train: Changed front and to Powered Up!

Hi,

I saw alot of versions to add lights to it, but none gave me a good feeling.

So I tried it myself and moved the front lights from the grill to the hood.

Here the lxf file and a pic.

If any of you, which are way better than me, can make it even better, don't hesitate and alter this version, post the lxf file and a pic of it

vhvkhz.jpg

File: https://ufile.io/cq2hu

Edited by Dragunov2

Any comment on my work is appreciated aswell!

Positive or negative, doesn't matter. I'm still in my learning process of building/altering stuff!

Well, since the set seems to be based on the EMD GP-60 Locomotives that were made in large quantities during the 1980's & 1990's & are still in wide use today, doing an image search for that particular locomotive, then trying to see what bricks would work to get some of the shapes you want would be a good start.

One thing is that borrowing the techniques for making the nose of the Maersk Train (10219), which is a better fit for the actual nose shape of the EMD GP-series locomotives, and using tiles for the top of the rest of the hood for a smoother look.  Also, again if you desire to make it look more like a GP-series locomotive, move the two lower "ditch" lights towards the front railing (2 studs forward), and possibly, if you have the parts & inclination, replace the 1x6 railing pieces on the long hood side (back part) with the semi-rigid technic hoses & battle droid arms, again, like on the Maersk Train set.

I hope that this helps a bit, but do remember that ultimately, this is your train, and you should go for the final look you like or what works for your budget/available parts, even if it's not 100% accurate to the real-life version. :wink:

Yes. I know. But I search for a clean solution for the lights, so u don't see the back of the led and those cable. 

That’s why I place them under the front, as seen on the pic. 

But maybe someone has a cleaner look with keeping the lights on the position I placed them. 

But thanks!!! 

For the railing you could at the Maersk train indeed, for ideas.
For the lights I would take 1x1 tiles insteads of the 1x1 plate. Or maybe you can use those tiny 1x1 slopes to make the front and use 2 white, yellow or ... for the lights, instead the 1x1 plates/tiles? So you have a clean front and room for the wires. It's just a thought.

Is the front not too blocky now?

Can u show a pic how u see it @neonic?

With my setup I left room for the cables in the hood. 

It's like the designer wanted to add lights and he made a tunnel under the cabin, but then he got stuck at the nose

Edited by Dragunov2

Changed the front even more to make it a tad longer:

90pnhi.png

Comments?

There is place in it to fit the cables, but I gave it a more natural look now, the longer nose fits the train well

3 hours ago, Dragunov2 said:

Can u show a pic how u see it @neonic?

Well, I've give it a try.
I have only made the 'front' with the slopes. the Brick behind the slope is so you can put a led in it and you have an 'exit' for the wires.

bcqaelrimc3.jpg

Original version:

2vtuw6f.jpg

My version (to fit LED headlights without any light leaking or cables visible):

15ob6l5.jpg

Still need to change Tile 1x4 black to Tile 1x4 blue, ordered on Bricklink, none in collection

Changed roof:

2a4ocol.jpg

There are no holes left behind cabin and where we have those IR receiver normally (changed it to Powered Up!)