Frostbricks

MLCad - How to get better renders?

I'm currently learning how to put together instructions. I'm loving MLCad, have assembled the instructions nice and clear, and intend to export the image into another layout program to add the finishing touches (Indesign) But, the render quality is a bit low (black parts can be hard to make out, and I'd prefer gradual shading for instance)

So, what's the best way to get a higher render quality? Hopefully without to many extra steps?

Thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, Frostbricks said:

I'm currently learning how to put together instructions. I'm loving MLCad, have assembled the instructions nice and clear, and intend to export the image into another layout program to add the finishing touches (Indesign) But, the render quality is a bit low (black parts can be hard to make out, and I'd prefer gradual shading for instance)

So, what's the best way to get a higher render quality? Hopefully without to many extra steps?

Thanks in advance.

You can use LPub3D to render steps for you. I have used it a bunch and really like the instructions it produces from the steps you have already created. You can export as transparent PNG's to put into InDesign with your own background color or image. 

1 hour ago, supertruper1988 said:

You can use LPub3D to render steps for you. I have used it a bunch and really like the instructions it produces from the steps you have already created. You can export as transparent PNG's to put into InDesign with your own background color or image. 

I have downloaded it, but it seems a bit buggy, and am having a little trouble getting it to set up decent images too (even if it looks like it should) and sounds like there'll still be a lot of extra work to make it happen (no shortage of resources on that thankfully). When all is said and done though, thats a lot of extra steps just to output a render I'm going to adjust in Indesign anyway (and MLCad has all the other functionality already), so was kinda hoping to shortcut it, by just having MLCad render better directly? Maybe via a plugin, or perhaps theres settings I missed?

MLCad is for building, not rendering, and technically neither is LPub3D - it uses either LGLite, LDView, or POV-Ray to do the rendering.

If you really want an all-in-one program, I'd suggest checking out Stud.io.

I use MLCAD for virtual building plus adding steps, rotations and etc. I use LPUB3D for making the instructions. I use Stud.io because it is easy and gives a great render (using a high enough quality setting). 

I still prefer LDD for building then importing into stud.io for the final touches...it renders in pov ray as well and uploads to your baseplate so you can buy the bricks.  I'm playing with its instruction builder atm and its very high quality.

12 hours ago, Frostbricks said:

I have downloaded it, but it seems a bit buggy, and am having a little trouble getting it to set up decent images too (even if it looks like it should) and sounds like there'll still be a lot of extra work to make it happen (no shortage of resources on that thankfully). When all is said and done though, thats a lot of extra steps just to output a render I'm going to adjust in Indesign anyway (and MLCad has all the other functionality already), so was kinda hoping to shortcut it, by just having MLCad render better directly? Maybe via a plugin, or perhaps theres settings I missed?

When you say adjust in indesign, what do you mean? I make all my steps even for a 140+page book and then just use indesign to mesh them on to pages with page number and background image. Then add a front and back cover and call it a day.

21 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

MLCad is for building, not rendering, and technically neither is LPub3D - it uses either LGLite, LDView, or POV-Ray to do the rendering.

If you really want an all-in-one program, I'd suggest checking out Stud.io.

I did check that out, because that's absolutely the level of rendering I want. Except I keep getting a "Render image error" and no idea where to start troubleshooting that (It's the latest release for Mac) And going forward, MLCad really does have way more functionality in terms of laying stuff down. The render quality though...

10 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

When you say adjust in indesign, what do you mean? I make all my steps even for a 140+page book and then just use indesign to mesh them on to pages with page number and background image. Then add a front and back cover and call it a day.

I've got a graphic design degree on the wall, so yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. Add arrows, text, cover, etc. Gives me control over the typographic layout, that sort of thing.
 The main reason is that, locally at least, the standard of instructions for convention sets etc is basic, and I'm not judging, but I do want to lift the bar a little by example.

You can use LDView to create nice looking 'instruction-style' images. Though, you have to improve the settings quite a bit, the default looks really low-quality.