mccoyed

Minifig Cape Patterns/Sizes

Hi. I'm trying to figure out how to make my own minifig cloth accessories, capes included and especially. I have seen patterns online, but they are never the correct size. For example, this image: 40c2be96ed85f48214dc40eb9ea55513.jpg
This is pretty easy to find but the sizes aren't right and I'm having a heckuva time getting them to match. Have had to print this out several times with size adjustments and so I'm wondering if anyone has patterns to share that are correctly sized so I can save on paper and toner and time iterating until I get it.

Sorry if something like this has been asked before, but I did check the archive and didn't find anything.

We have some templates (including a cape and a cloak) in the Templates Index, and they should be scaled to the right size.

I have never seen a comprehensive list of sizes for all those designs, though.

Can't you print it once, then measure the corner to corner distance of say the standard cape both on the paper and a real one. Then scale the image by a factor equal to the real measurement divided by the print measurement. This should then give you the correct sizes.

Another option would be to scale it off of the minifig head peg hole since that is universal.  Smaller measurement so requires more accuracy to get the scaling right, but it should work even if you didn't have one of the actual capes to compare sizes with.

Elementary I know, but also remember to check all of your print settings to ensure the image is printing at 100% with not additional fitting/scaling being done by the printer in the first place.  I've also had challenges before when grabbing patterns offline where the one I found wasn't the original source and had been (re)uploaded with improper scaling, so you might do a quick search online and see you can find a different version of the same image. This version of what you posted above appears to be properly scaled:  

Stencil fabric accessories

Good ideas on just directly measuring them. Believe it or not, I didn't think of that. Unfortunately, deraven, that version of the image does not print out at the correct scale and I'm not sure why.

EDIT: Figure it out. It's the word processor I was printing the image through. Ugh. Printing it directly seems to be the correct sizes! Thanks, this is a great start!

Edited by mccoyed