Sign in to follow this  
mlongworth

Red Dragon Inn Freebuild Avalonia HSS

The Red Dragon Inn in Helenia. The refugees are all being welcomed by the owners William and Sandra. A family from northern Avalonia and the ogre twins from nocturnus. Princess Rhiannon has offered them a place to stay and homes of their own if they want.

44424390681_a42515f490_c.jpg

Sorry for the link got to get a laptop just for Legos I guess. This should qualify Helenia as a Hamlet I believe in has. C&C welcome

Edited by Henjin_Quilones
fixed picture link

I think this is your best build yet! I like the bold use of red, a color not typically seen in MOCs around here, as it makes it a very conspicuous building, perfect for an inn. The roof is nicely thatched, too, and the landscape is pleasantly filled with foliage and cobblestones. Also, the cart is a great creation for conveying a poor refugee family with its possessions. My only real critiques are that the background shows a wedge-shaped gap on the left side that would look better filled, and the horse appears to have a strange gap in its back as well, that would look better filled with some brown pieces to replicate the harness around the horse (or else white to match the horse). It looks a bit odd to be missing a chunk like that...

I also fixed the link for you to make it visible here without needing to go to Flickr, to make for a more pleasant viewing experience on EB. 

1 hour ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I think this is your best build yet! I like the bold use of red, a color not typically seen in MOCs around here, as it makes it a very conspicuous building, perfect for an inn. The roof is nicely thatched, too, and the landscape is pleasantly filled with foliage and cobblestones. Also, the cart is a great creation for conveying a poor refugee family with its possessions. My only real critiques are that the background shows a wedge-shaped gap on the left side that would look better filled, and the horse appears to have a strange gap in its back as well, that would look better filled with some brown pieces to replicate the harness around the horse (or else white to match the horse). It looks a bit odd to be missing a chunk like that...

I also fixed the link for you to make it visible here without needing to go to Flickr, to make for a more pleasant viewing experience on EB. 

Thanks for the fix Henjin. Can't believe  I missed that on the horse. Will fix that problem right now.

Very good looking build. A tip on presentation would be to prevent as much of that paper edge showing as possible (at the very least, making sure we can't see other surfaces where there are gaps. With the presentation as is, the wagon coming off the base is a bit distracting.

20 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Very good looking build. A tip on presentation would be to prevent as much of that paper edge showing as possible (at the very least, making sure we can't see other surfaces where there are gaps. With the presentation as is, the wagon coming off the base is a bit distracting.

Will be working on presentation need a better setup.

Nice Inn.  The red goes well with the dark grey and the brown.   The roof is good.  I like the stone path also.  The wagon is constructed nicely and the figs are posed well.  Good job.  

As HQ said, used normal red is audacious but it worked pretty well! :thumbup: IMHO, moving the smaller ones of the wooden columns one stud more to the window (splitting the plastered sections evenly in 3-3 at each side) would create less of a 'big one-coloured area' and improve the build just a bit more, but even like this I'm a fan for sure (you know, tudor sections are ALWAYS cool)

The roof is nice as well, and I really like to see a wooden hoist there on the right, a very common detail in most medieval houses!

(also, I have to admit I really laughed with the orcish twins, they're so cute :wub: can I hope to see them return in some other builds? :moar: )

15 hours ago, TitusV said:

As HQ said, used normal red is audacious but it worked pretty well! :thumbup: IMHO, moving the smaller ones of the wooden columns one stud more to the window (splitting the plastered sections evenly in 3-3 at each side) would create less of a 'big one-coloured area' and improve the build just a bit more, but even like this I'm a fan for sure (you know, tudor sections are ALWAYS cool)

The roof is nice as well, and I really like to see a wooden hoist there on the right, a very common detail in most medieval houses!

(also, I have to admit I really laughed with the orcish twins, they're so cute :wub: can I hope to see them return in some other builds? :moar: )

Thanks Titus and you will be glad to hear that I am planning the orc twins home to be my challenge 1 moc. Just have to come up with their names.

Very cool inn :thumbup: The open wooden shutter and flower pot on the side are a nice touch. Excellent wagon design as well.

Lovely build mlongworth! I especially like the cantilevered first floor, the bold choice of red, the slightly raised ends of the roofline and the laden cart. The upper side window with the wooden shutters and flower pots is a lovely touch too. :thumbup: As others have said, i would concentrate on your presentation. Having the cart be contained entirely on the baseplate and using a simple black border would emphisise the unity of the build and make it look a lot cleaner.

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Lovely build mlongworth! I especially like the cantilevered first floor, the bold choice of red, the slightly raised ends of the roofline and the laden cart. The upper side window with the wooden shutters and flower pots is a lovely touch too. :thumbup: As others have said, i would concentrate on your presentation. Having the cart be contained entirely on the baseplate and using a simple black border would emphisise the unity of the build and make it look a lot cleaner.

Thanks Gabe I will be working on my presentation but no borders as my mocs will end up being a large village display

I really like this one! Some cool figs you have aswell!

The only nitpick I have is the second floor. Maybe it´s just me, but putting the second floor out with three studs make the first floor very small compared to the second one. 

Very nice!  I second what many of the others have said in that the red is a bold, and rather awesome choice for the inn, especially coupled with the red dragon heraldry on the shield.  I like the dark tan roof, too, which I have personally find challenging to build, but you did a great job.  I like the mix of olive and green foliage, and the flowers out front look good.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the village!  Does the inn have an interior?  It looks spacious enough to have one and it could be really interesting!

4 hours ago, Grover said:

Very nice!  I second what many of the others have said in that the red is a bold, and rather awesome choice for the inn, especially coupled with the red dragon heraldry on the shield.  I like the dark tan roof, too, which I have personally find challenging to build, but you did a great job.  I like the mix of olive and green foliage, and the flowers out front look good.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the village!  Does the inn have an interior?  It looks spacious enough to have one and it could be really interesting!

It does but I haven't finished it I will post when I get around to it. Working on the orc twins home for the challenge right now