Sign in to follow this  
narbilu

The road to rebuild [Varlyrio]

Stock up and go

Bran and his hunting party decided to take the first step in announcing them to the locals by traveling to the wastelands and make contact with the largest of the orc clans. Rebuilding an empire is not only build by bricks, but diplomatic relations is as important.

A long journey, so Bran decides to head to the Flying Pony and arrange some faster transportation. Quill the owner had some disappointing news. The supply of regular horses was poor and the budget for this mission was even worse. So Quill supplied them with what was acceptable.

Spoiler

On the road

Bran, Marlowe and Grogk saddled their horses, packed some rations and stowed their weapons and gear away before departure. After a small meal with Throll, to exchange the final information about the trip, they left to their journey west. The mountains were the animals worst nightmare, but when they finally entered the wastelands, the flat rocky plains were easy travels. After only a few miles, they entered orc territory.

30717009208_922466a65d_c.jpg

Spoiler

43677791035_d5af691f6d_n.jpg 43677790245_387abaeddb_n.jpg

Great scene, the lanterns and the flag give the right look of a wasteland where orks inhabit, plus interesting use of the beard for wood carving details!  I have to admit I'm tripped out by the mini-horses though, if you were wondering they make it look a bit like a scene from the Flintstones, which is amusing :laugh:

Edited by W Navarre

Good choice of colors for the landscape and the crooked lantern poles are great :thumbup: Hard to tell who's carrying who with horses that small though :laugh:

While the landscape looks properly desolate and orcish, I do think that the part where it spills out of the base could be improved. Right now it is very square and un-organic in appearance. A few more plates on the sides to taper it a bit and make it look more like it is "spilling" would be better. Also, for the mini-horse illusion to work, I think something needs to be done with the minifigs' legs - either they need to swapped for brown, and we imagine that they are the horses' legs, or you find a way to give the horse four legs while keeping legs on the figs. As it is, it looks like they are walking with mini-horse heads on their fronts, like some strange costume. The landscape colors are great, and the part contained by the border is very nice. I look forward to seeing where they end up!

38 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

As it is, it looks like they are walking with mini-horse heads on their fronts,

Always so serious :cry_happy:... little Monty Pyton humor

The mini-horses are hilarious, and I like the overall look of the build.  I'll echo HQ on the spilling-out area being too squared-off, but have to compliment your representation of wagon ruts in the road.  They really add a good touch of interest to the road.

Great reference with those horse pieces. I laughed out loud when I saw this after all the talk of mini-horses on the other build. My favorite part here is the pole or dead tree with the raven on top. My eyes were immediately drawn to that.

hahaha, I'm afraid I really have to laugh with these ponies :laugh: great use of these pieces though

Whereas the border of the road is a bit too straight (not much use in having it spill over the border right now, IMHO), this is compensated by the wheel tracks: a very nice detail, and very realistic as well :thumbup: