aminnich

What motivates you guys to build Technic?

To have unique original model(s) if real thing in living room...with functionality that is characteristical for real vehicle or object of modeling...there is lots of reason, one is that building Technic mocs is relaxing me...

I have always really liked to solve problems, of all kinds. That's my biggest motivation to build Technic mocs. I come up with an idea for a model with certain functions, and all the problem solving needed to get those functions to work is what makes the building process so fun. The only bad thing about this is that once all the problems are solved, I don't always find motivation to finish the model.

Another thing that motivates me to build technic mocs is the possibility to share my models with other enthusiasts online. Creating building instructions for other people who'd like to build your model is also very motivating. 

The motivation for building official sets is my curiosity of learning which building techniques and mechanics are used to get everything to work. 

8 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

I have always really liked to solve problems, of all kinds. That's my biggest motivation to build Technic mocs. I come up with an idea for a model with certain functions, and all the problem solving needed to get those functions to work is what makes the building process so fun. The only bad thing about this is that once all the problems are solved, I don't always find motivation to finish the model.

Another thing that motivates me to build technic mocs is the possibility to share my models with other enthusiasts online. Creating building instructions for other people who'd like to build your model is also very motivating. 

That, Exactly that!(scary really)

Exept, I tend to build very big so making instructions for the very few people that have the parts is not worth it.

51 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

'Cause I was bored with Star Wars. :laugh:

Same here. I wanted to build functional creations, not just stagnant spaceships. I wanted to work with real mechanisms and not just move stuff by hand. And seeing gears spin without skipping is the most satisfying thing ever :classic:

Literally as Doctor prescribed therapy for an ongoing medical condition. Not specifically LEGO Technic, that was my choice but it was a good one and I am quite glad I did. It has worked very well for me and will probably be doing it until the day I die, sometime in the far off future. 

For me personal is:

"build the creative mind"

If you are full of ideas no matter how technical difficult the idea is, and you are beable to build it in Lego Technic, that was and is always my goal.

And second reason:

Interest of the the technological real world. From early age i was fascinated by technical mechanical things.

When i saw a schoolbus, i want to build my own schoolbus, when i see a car, i want that car for my own and started to build it.

When i see a amusement ride that is mechanical difficult, i want to build my own ride.

Its my drive to go further and further and solving the problem from the real deal into a scale model. Its something that always has been and still is a part of me.

Edited by Techniccrack

The common thread amongst us, we like to see things move, operate, deploy, retract, extend, lift, rotate, engage, disengage, dock, undock, mesh (without clicking), turn, steer, control... 

We all like things mechanical, we like to see how things work, we took apart our parents telephones when we were growing up. We like to solve problems, and we enjoy the peace of a quality build, be it an official set, or other people’s MOCs.

it’s all these things we are all repeating... I agree with a LOT of what everyone else is saying, and I agree a little bit about it all, at some level. Every little quirk about Technic is why I build with Technic. It is so open ended to creativity, yet it has physical boundaries. It makes you have to think... use the old grey matter.  How do you make this amusement contraption turn at 60 rpm? By trying to make it turn at 90 and accept the 60 you get :grin:. (I’m still impressed with the >60 I got though *huh* )

3 hours ago, HallBricks said:

once all the problems are solved, I don't always find motivation to finish the model.

Thats me! 100%. Only took pics and posted my last moc as i was bored of the last 5% and wanted to take it to bits and start my next 'puzzle'

An interesting angle to the question would the motivation for people who build and display original sets, vs moc-ers.... problem solving, mechanical puzzles and a love of engineering will be very common amongst most moc-ers i suspect, but does the same fascination for problem solving exist with display-ers?

Not to judge or criticise, but may be interesting...

I want to build and own construction equipment and agricultural machinery but I can't afford nor have space for the full scale versions. :)

I also believe it is a way to improve my creative abilities and helps me in my work as a mechanical engineer.

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

An interesting angle to the question would the motivation for people who build and display original sets, vs moc-ers.... problem solving, mechanical puzzles and a love of engineering will be very common amongst most moc-ers i suspect, but does the same fascination for problem solving exist with display-ers?

I mostly build from instructions, including some of the wonderful mod work that people here create and document for all to enjoy. My biggest instruction-free project was making Nathanaël Kuipers' 42000 C-model from the pictures which was very educational and took a looong time.

With a young family, time constraints and the lack of an organised workspace are big hurdles to getting into moc-ing, but marvelling at the ingenuity of other peoples work is more than enough to keep me coming back for now.

I neeeed to move zee ball, from here <--- to --> here, using zee most complicated way possible!

:)

Edited by RohanBeckett

6 hours ago, HallBricks said:

I have always really liked to solve problems, of all kinds. That's my biggest motivation to build Technic mocs. I come up with an idea for a model with certain functions, and all the problem solving needed to get those functions to work is what makes the building process so fun. The only bad thing about this is that once all the problems are solved, I don't always find motivation to finish the model. The motivation for building official sets is my curiosity of learning which building techniques and mechanics are used to get everything to work. 

Just what I think...

I have always been modelling things. In my teenage days I did paper modelling (also MOCs) and 3D modeling. After that programming (games and a simulator, which is modeling in a way), at the moment nothing. I'm interested in system Lego too, but Technic is simpler (less parts to choose from). I don't know why but it was always easy for me to finish things.

I don't know why "modeling". Maybe when I'll have kids (and with the new house)  I'll start to build more serious and awesome things.

Edited by Lipko

I think this is a harder question than I thought.

I mean, we probably all have some urge to create, but why? And why Lego Technic?

For me, relaxation is a big part, and Lego is a great medium because it's limited to fixed-shape elements that can be combined in lots of ways to create interesting things. It's limited enough to be manageable and not overwhelming, yet offers enough possibilities to stay interesting for many years.

But what is it that attracts me in the act of Lego building? I think it's the combination of, being alone, escaping from the real world, relaxation, familiarity, focus on something abstract, creative expression, the sensation of touching the Lego bricks, and probably there's even more things. Many things come together in Lego building.

Because I’m an engineer by profession and I love solving problems.

I find Lego building helps me switch off.

As to why Technic ... well I do have a small collection of System models (mainly the Creator Expert cars), I think mainly as it seems a bit more easier to explain over building with System stuff being an adult :)

I like all kind of models - diecast, plastic, lego etc., I like to study how they work, what purpose they have. The choice to use lego is because it was my toy no. 1 in my youth and that you can easily build and demolish/rebuild anything without the need for tools, leaving you with intact basic parts. Since I do not have any need to display anything it is perfect solution for me. Sometimes I have an urge to buy some diecast model, but in the end I realize it would only gather dust. I also have as much fun as building with real bricks in building digitally, and then creating instructions. It is very satisfactionary for me to see other people building the same model I have build.

I'm a developer so i'm problem solving all day, but as i'm also the business owner, there's a lot of pressure and stress... as a few people have said, it is relaxing, allows your brain to shutdown from all the daily crap. I struggle to 'do nothing' for relaxation, so having this hobby that i've loved since i was 8, and it turns out to be a great stress buster is the perfect result.

Also, you can solve a problem by solving a different one. If i've something work related that i'm struggling to resolve, solving some lego problems means the work solution is often easier to find.

19 hours ago, HallBricks said:

The motivation for building official sets is my curiosity of learning which building techniques and mechanics are used to get everything to work. 

and ERIC LEPPEN said: For me, relaxation is a big part, and Lego is a great medium because it's limited to fixed-shape elements that can be combined in lots of ways to create interesting things. It's limited enough to be manageable and not overwhelming, yet offers enough possibilities to stay interesting for many years.

But what is it that attracts me in the act of Lego building? I think it's the combination of, being alone, escaping from the real world, relaxation, familiarity, focus on something abstract, creative expression, the sensation of touching the Lego bricks, and probably there's even more things. Many things come together in Lego building.

It can't be said any better than they did!