Sign in to follow this  
BerndDasBrot

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 8460 Pneumatic Crane Truck / Mobile Crane

Hi!

I've promised a lot lately. I'll review 8868, 8880, Space Police II, Blacktron II...

And I WILL. It's just the time that is blocking me. And my university. And the fact that I just picked up 8460 in original box for only EUR 36,50...! *sweet*

The other reviews will follow - please bear with me.

And this set review is also a gift to this nice fellow who gave me the title!

That's what I'm talking about:

p1080619klein.jpg

#1 useless information with high numbers:

This set contains 841 parts and was released in 1995 in the TECHNIC / Tech Build / Advanced (sub-) theme.

The bricklink price guide displays for “Used” a Qty Avg Price of $125.85 and for “New” a Qty Avg Price of $212.82.

I got it for $56,98. Still can’t believe it. :'-)

This set was rereleased two times (8431 in 2002 and 8438 in 2003).

#2 the box:

Front:

p1080571klein.jpg

Back:

p1080572klein.jpg

Open:

p1080573klein.jpg

The box is higher than other Technic boxes. Why? I don’t know. 8460 doesn’t have any real large parts. Whatever.

p1080574klein.jpg

Inlay: I wonder why TLG doesn’t make inlays anymore… They’re noisy and brake easily but are great for (pre-) sorting.

p1080575klein.jpg

#3 building instructions:

I will quote myself from the 8862 review:

Wow these instructions are used! I'm not used to this after all this sets with unread instruction booklets...

Triple-wow! ‘nuff said.

This is the “first” page. (Fortunately Peeron offers scans!)

p1080576klein.jpg

The last step for the alternate model and a few nice photos showing how the pneumatic pump will be erm- pumped. Yeah.

p1080577klein.jpg

Random page:

p1080578klein.jpg

I forgot the overall thoughts to the instructions: These are Technic instructions as we’re used to them: part count, easy to understand (okay, the string part at the end was too much for me) and the color distinction is okay too. 100 pages long and if I can trust my eyes the pneumatics page can be fold out. (I don’t have this page but I assume it.)

#4 the parts:

p1080579klein.jpg

#5 building:

An easy and fun build.

Okay, this could take some time. My longest building review up to date.

The front steering:

p1080581klein.jpg

The rear steering. The axle pin between the rear steering is for the axle which rotates the crane.

p1080582klein.jpg

The two worm screws in the front are for the outriggers (they’re not linked. One for each side.) The small wheel in the back is for the rotation.

p1080583klein.jpg

p1080584klein.jpg

Adjusting front and rear steering.

p1080585klein.jpg

p1080586klein.jpg

outriggers are finished. You can notice a 8 tooth gear that will rotate the Technic Turntable.

p1080587klein.jpg

p1080588klein.jpg

A steering wheel has been added. Could be the same stickers like the alternate 8880 used to have.

p1080589klein.jpg

The steering can be operated with both actinic lights (?)

p1080590klein.jpg

p1080591klein.jpg

No. We’re far from finished. I’ve got a lot of parts left at this point.

p1080592klein.jpg

Wow. A 4x4 corner plate!

p1080593klein.jpg

Pneumatics and a winch:

p1080594klein.jpg

p1080595klein.jpg

If you can’t recognize it on the photo: The Technic Beams are the erm- wrong/other side up.

The 1x6 Technic Beams on the left side are normal.

p1080596klein.jpg

The axle that will extend the crane:

p1080597klein.jpg

p1080598klein.jpg

7 gear racks 1x4

the 1x6 Technic plate will keep the two pneumatic cylinders straight.

p1080599klein.jpg

*sad* 8-| Huh? Did you blink? You missed a special part: The whole rotatable thing will be attached to the Technic turntable using two long Technic pins. The pin on the right side should be in the middle of the three “turntable holes”. On the right side, it’s the first hole. Asymmetric! Why? Because we’ll add a cute cab!

p1080601klein.jpg

#6 functionality:

You can find the features in comparison to other Technic cranes here. Technopedia, of course.

I made one "sentence" out of it: (please don’t find any mistakes.) :-P

“two axle rack and pinion steering, pneumatic luffing and gear driven telescoping via crank for the boom which can slew 360° on turntable driven via gear, crank driven hoist and gear driven outriggers at four corners which snap over center.”

#7 random shots:

p1080602klein.jpg

p1080604klein.jpg

p1080605klein.jpg

Comparison to 8854:

p1080606klein.jpg

uuuh… once again a depth of field.

p1080607klein.jpg

I tried to make it look authoritarian like 8858 but I failed. Somehow 8460 looks cute.

p1080609mod.jpg

p1080613klein.jpg

p1080614klein.jpg

p1080615klein.jpg

p1080616klein.jpg

p1080617klein.jpg

#8 comparison to 8421 Mobile Crane / Crane Truck:

I feel that a question concerning this will be asked, so I deal with it right now.

First of all: I don’t own 8421 yet. I know. A Technic freak really should own it.

Anyway: 8421 has more than twice as much parts as 8460, is motorized, features a V6-engine and a very neat mechanism to extend the crane/boom twice using a braided string with end studs. Try to find out how!

Of course 8421 features (far) more than 8460.

IMHO 8421 should have been a copy of 8460, a set so successful that it has been rereleased two times, but the designers overshoot the mark.

8421 is a (breathtaking) monster. Compared to it, 8460 looks cute - not pale!

#9 final thoughts:

I got it on eBay in kind of good condition, for about 50 dollars. I know that it has been worth the money in any point of view. *wub*

I didn’t use the word “old-school” for now. I’ll change that:

8460 belongs to the favored few of old-school Technic sets!

thanks for reading and viewing the pictures, I hope you enjoyed it!

Please comment if you want to!

Ah, thanks sommuch again for that great review! *y* *sweet*

Man, I am so happy they made this set.

The new one seems too boring. ;-)

Somehow I competely missed your review when you first made it, I saw your pics on brickshelf and wondered about the review...

You have managed to review my all time favourite technic set! It was the first large Technic set I was given by my parents, when it first came out in 1995.

I played for hours with this set, making minifig seats in it (it was so huge there was room for four minifigs to sit next to eachother in front....)

I made various applications for it, a bungee-jump system with a large rubber band, and lots of containers to be lifted.

The first changes I made included the inverting of the wheels and the disabling of one of the flashlight-steering wheels because they obstructed eachother. By the way, the nob for your winch is yellow instead of black (I know this set by heart, so watch out :-P ). I always liked those nobs.

I do own the 8421 and I can tell you: this 8460 is much, much stronger, it can carry more weight because the boom is lighter then the 8421: they are powered by the same two pistons...

You know when you made it right: when the crane is in upright position, fully extended and you release the brake from the winch. Does the hook lower without having to pull it? If it does, you succeeded in constructing the set right.

The alternate model was great fun too, the pump is cleverly hidden and the crane folds up great between the cab and the loading platform. You could easily mod it with a pneumatic claw on the crane, a motor to turn it and a compressor.

The only flaw was the loading platform which had no floor (only some axles).

Thanks so much for reviving my memorie concerning this great set!

*y*

I'm in the same situation as you; I have this set but missed out on the newer 8421. This was a great set for its time but the 8421 definitely looks better to me. I've been trying to find a good deal on it on ebay but it's pretty expensive, considering that it only went out of production last year.

Inlay: I wonder why TLG doesn’t make inlays anymore… They’re noisy and brake easily but are great for (pre-) sorting.

The box designs in general are crappier these days than they used to be 10 years ago. You don't see the old "featured parts" trays anymore and the boxes don't have the different sections either (these also acted as internal supports for larger boxes, so they were less prone to being crushed). The cardboard material is also quite a bit thinner. I think it's a result of TLC's overall cost-cutting moves since then. Most people toss the boxes and probably don't care, but I keep all of them.

There was actually a time when the boxes used to be even stronger. I have an old 8859 set and the outer box is made of a hard, styrofoam material, although they probably stopped using that for environmental reasons.

Edited by CP5670

A great review, thank you. I do not know these old sets like this one, but it is very cool to see how they were made.

I have an un-opened 8421, maybe I should do a small review of that when I get to build it.

btw. boxes are expensive, so at a given price point, it's a choise between more bricks or nicer boxes. I have no doubt what most people would chose.

Front

Edited by Front

btw. boxes are expensive, so at a given price point, it's a choise between more bricks or nicer boxes. I have no doubt what most people would chose.

Yeah, it's certainly understandable why they did it, but bad for box hoarders like me. :-P

Somehow I competely missed your review when you first made it, I saw your pics on brickshelf and wondered about the review...

You have managed to review my all time favourite technic set!

yeah, somehow I wonderd why only VBBN (thanks!) responded... But I learned from *yoda*s sig: "Patience !! For a Jedi it is time to eat as well !! Eat, Eat !! Hot !! Good food !!" :-D

It was the first large Technic set I was given by my parents, when it first came out in 1995.

I played for hours with this set, making minifig seats in it (it was so huge there was room for four minifigs to sit next to eachother in front....)

I made various applications for it, a bungee-jump system with a large rubber band, and lots of containers to be lifted.

The first changes I made included the inverting of the wheels and the disabling of one of the flashlight-steering wheels because they obstructed eachother. By the way, the nob for your winch is yellow instead of black (I know this set by heart, so watch out :-P ). I always liked those nobs.

and people think you can't play / MOC with Technic (at all)...! X-D

about the nob: erm yeah. I only found 3 black ones in the box and so I took the yellow one that I got as an extra with 8829.

The alternate model was great fun too, the pump is cleverly hidden and the crane folds up great between the cab and the loading platform. You could easily mod it with a pneumatic claw on the crane, a motor to turn it and a compressor.

The only flaw was the loading platform which had no floor (only some axles).

another reason for the 8460 as favorite set? It's got a "real" alternate model, not just a different erm- crane.

Thanks so much for reviving my memorie concerning this great set!

You're welcome, I consider this as my job! ;-)

...but I keep all of them.

There was actually a time when the boxes used to be even stronger. I have an old 8859 set and the outer box is made of a hard, styrofoam material, although they probably stopped using that for environmental reasons.

That's the spirit! I got more than hundred boxes... and my 8848 box came with styrofoam too!

Thanks for the review. *sweet* For it's size and parts count this is a remarkably featured set. I don't think I've never seen the alternate model before.

Personally I prefer 8421 because I think it looks much better and I love the six wheel steering. I also love the three segment boom and the transmission; they fit it all in so neatly. I realise that it has trouble even holding up itself, but ultimately it doesn't matter as it's not like you are really going to construction work with it. What bothers me more about 8421 is the design change in the boom from chainlinks to strings. I would try to mod mine but all I have is the prototype picture to base it on... and I don't have enough links anyway! :-P

yeah, somehow I wonderd why only VBBN (thanks!) responded...

Indeed! I have been very busy the last few months and I kept meaning to reply... At last I managed to find the time to reply today.

another reason for the 8460 as favorite set? It's got a "real" alternate model, not just a different erm- crane.

Yes, that really sucks. Somebody (I haven't got the time to look :-$) on Brickshelf has made a quite good alternate. Lego have been a bit inconsistant with alternate models lately. The recent tow truck had a good one; I even made both!

Great review! While I admit I wasn't into Technic at the time this came out (I was a mere child, give me a break! :-D), I can see now why it was featured so much. From the booklets to display stands at toy stores and at my local LEGO center (when it was still around), this thing was everywhere! With your review, I can now truly appreciate all the details of the set. I got to admit, I can see the appeal now! That comparison shot you took is amazing. I love not only just how it included the little details such as the stabilizers, but also looks incredibly fun to play around with.

Great set and an even greater review!

thanks guys!

@ sinner: i hope you refered to 8285 so my answer will match: 8285 is interesting: main model: american styled truck, alternate model: european styled truck. I don't think TLG produced many european styled truck.

EDIT: I just found a wonderful MOC-alternate on brickshelf: 8436 by industrialdesigner. If I got him right, he designed a few offical technic sets for TLG.

@ all: promises, promises, promises... hm. and again it's eBay that's blocking me. I want to foreshadow my next review (although it'll take some time to make it):

sneek.jpg

I know, you know. But please act inconspicuous until you'll can act very astonished...!

Edited by BerndDasBrot

[bUMP]

Serge9591 made a STUDLESS adaptation (version) of the 8460 Lego Technic Pneumatic Crane Truck for a SeTechnic contest, and posted this

:

8460-1.jpg