Bracari

AoM: Farm Phase 2: Strongarm's Homestead Produce Garden

The path out of the orchard leads Sir Loth Strongarm by the family's produce garden, lush with crops.

29631167007_a7bbd72c5d_c.jpg

There he sees his granddaughter Yura, the middle child of his son Stenon, harvesting vegetables.

42759915390_f92e768ea3_c.jpg

Hard working, strong-willed and beautiful as her mother. She is of marrying age but, like her older brother, does not seem to give much thought to it yet. Granted, the current small Vale community does not have many potential compatible suitors.

44519821022_4288af2e72_c.jpg

Another thing that might change with the return of Lady Eleanor, with the possibility of the return of some of those who left the Vale and the arrival of new settlers.

43851053544_58189d2c92_c.jpg

Spoiler

Comments from my first build where very helpful. In creating the produce garden I tried to use as much of the suggestions as possible, more detailing, photography with natural light.

Here are some other pictures:

43851053834_4efdec12a3.jpg

42759916470_f079a4abdd.jpg

44519821872_eb30481f78.jpg

Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmrHD9xL

Again, comments, suggestions and criticism is very welcome.

Wow, great job!  There's so much to like here: The level of detail, the awesome tree, the advanced techniques with the lever base put onto the flower stems with the petals, the various techniques for plants that look great, and the time it obviously took to make the detailed stone wall.  The functional hinged gate looks good, too.  The path now looks more like a path to me, as it's below the level of the grass, and the rockwork is taking shape in the corner.  I love it!

The lighting in the pics isn't perfect, but that's something that a lot of us struggle with.  I've been trying to figure out how to take good pictures for a couple of years and am slowly figuring it out.  More lighting and playing with the settings on my camera has helped me, although still not perfect.

Great job!

Nice little scene.  The garden is neat.  I like how the path fits in nicely.  The rock formation on the end is a little off to me but otherwise nice build.  

The build has increased a lot indeed! :thumbup: 

I also like the colourscheme, though as a bit of nitpicking I think not mixing reddish brown and dark tan for the pathway may enhance it even further.

Furthermore, a very nice collection of brickbuilt crops and good use of these old SW torsos!

Certainly a lot of variety in this garden! I love all the neat rows of crops contrasting with the wilder vegetation outside the garden walls. In a way, i wish the base was irregular rather than bordered, as this would enhance that contrast. Also, i wonder if butting the rocky outcrop in the corner hard up against the garden wall might have been a better choice than leaving a one stud gap?

Finally, although your photos could be a bit brighter, the clean white background for your moc is very neat, and your photos are crisply in focus. Nice work! :classic:

I like that you are including the decorative base now, as that makes the presentation more effective and professional. I really like the gate, but I think my favorite detail is the parsnip (or turnip, or whatever root vegetable you are intending that to be - but it looks most like a parsnip to my untrained eye). It does strike me as a bit strange that the rockwork ends so abruptly and the stone wall begins after an awkward one-stud gap; I think it would be better to have the wall directly abut the rocky outcropping and to perhaps even integrate it into it. A lovely little garden, though! 

Great foliage and detail here, including some stuff I haven't seen before. I don't mind the square shaped garden, though you'd have to find a perfect patch of ground for something like that in a medieval garden. Or have a lot of disposable labor for flattening out tracts of land. The photography here reminds me a lot of my early builds for GoH. Have you tried using GIMP to brighten images? Learning to do that was a game-changer for me and got me started with slightly more advanced photo editing like I do now. Others helped me along the way so I am happy to help you if you have any questions.

A very nice scene. Like Henjin my favourite detail is the parsnip - a technique I feel I will most likely borrow sometime in the future! Great work!

Thank you for all the comments.

On 9/9/2018 at 6:07 PM, Grover said:

Wow, great job!  There's so much to like here: The level of detail, the awesome tree, the advanced techniques with the lever base put onto the flower stems with the petals, the various techniques for plants that look great, and the time it obviously took to make the detailed stone wall.  The functional hinged gate looks good, too.  The path now looks more like a path to me, as it's below the level of the grass, and the rockwork is taking shape in the corner.  I love it!

Still a lot of experimentation and learning so i tried to incorporate three ways to make the flowers, traditional flower on stem, the lever base and round plates with both 4 and 5 petals (although there are some issues with color availability) and the new 3 leaves plate with friends flowers.(7 petals).

The stone wall was assembled, partially disassembled and re-assembled several times :laugh:.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:22 PM, zoth33 said:

The rock formation on the end is a little off to me but otherwise nice build.

On 9/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, Gabe said:

Also, i wonder if butting the rocky outcrop in the corner hard up against the garden wall might have been a better choice than leaving a one stud gap?

On 9/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

It does strike me as a bit strange that the rockwork ends so abruptly and the stone wall begins after an awkward one-stud gap;

The idea i that the rock outcropping will continue on the next adjacent build, so for now it is only a part of the whole. The one stud gap is meant to be an irrigation ditch but again it will depend on the next build for it to be fully visible (and I don't know if it will work or not yet, so there might be changes).

11 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Like Henjin my favourite detail is the parsnip

I think it turned out good too and it wasn't even planned. I wanted some different colored vegetable planted, so I used a white open stud round plate with a twig on top on the base. Then when I had the minifig harvesting the garden my first thought went naturally to the usual carrot, however that day I had just received an order with white small horns so i tried it out and the twig and horn actually fit nicely in the open stud and the parsnip was born :grin:.

Again, thanks for the comments, tips and suggestions.

What a neat little garden, I really like how many different veggies and plants you've got in there!  Makes me want to go build a garden!

Nice littlegarden here !

A good build indeed. Some pictures are a little bit too dark, don't hesitate to lighten them more.

Godd job overall.

Lovely garden, you're improving your building skills quickly! Nice variety of produce in the garden, with some neat designs to accomplish the different plants.
The little gate is excellent, and I like that you included some farm tools :thumbup: