WhiteFang

PRESS RELEASE for LEGO 10263 - Winter Village Fire Station Announcement

I had every intention of building my own WV Fire Station, but then I heard rumors of this earlier this year, so I put it off. Overall, it is impressive. I think I will still want to modify it a bit. As nice as the stairs can be, I think I will actually remove them. My figures can teleport. It will be like when I was a kid again (and the other WV sets).

The figures look good overall. I'm surprised they used the old baby head mold since the new one has a neck on it.

And I agree, it is odd the doors open inward considering there won't be any way to have the vehicle come out (just like Ghostbuster's HQ issues).

Totally different perspective here, since I don't care much for the Winter Village:

But this will make an awesome parts pack for modular MOCers once it hits the free market and get's discounted the usual 10-20%. Barely any specialized, 'throwaway' parts or parts in odd colours in there (except maybe for the tree, but even those might find their usage).

With sand-red and grey being the predominant colors, it might also be a good starting point for those who missed out on 10197 and want to bricklink it.

Not overly excited by it...for what it’s supposed to be & the price. The Cottage was the same price but had nearly 1500 pieces & definitely looked worth the price. Supposed to be in the sense that it doesn’t really read Christmas to me. The holly bits are nice, but it just needs more. 

I love the old firetruck & uniforms. Everything about the set itself is pretty great.

Edited by Vindicare

This would be worth getting for those dark red bricks and that firetruck build... I'm also seeing some nice little details here and there that are really neat. That sled for example, and the frozen fountain.

3 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

Totally different perspective here, since I don't care much for the Winter Village:

But this will make an awesome parts pack for modular MOCers once it hits the free market and get's discounted the usual 10-20%. Barely any specialized, 'throwaway' parts or parts in odd colours in there (except maybe for the tree, but even those might find their usage). 

With sand-red and grey being the predominant colors, it might also be a good starting point for those who missed out on 10197 and want to bricklink it. 

For what it's worth, this uses Dark Red, not Sand Red (i know that's probably just a typo).

And to be honest, I don't think LEGO even makes very many parts anymore that are so specialized I'd consider them "throwaway" parts. Even if all you build is modular buildings, just look at how Assembly Square used the big Technic scoops. Parts like those tend to be so specialized that if I have to sort them into storage I usually throw them in the same "miscellaneous" tub I use for a lot of other big oddball parts like the chrome drill from Rock Raiders or the giant turbines from Exo-Force. And a lot of the parts I've built with and collected over the years are Bionicle, so my standards for what is big and specific enough to be categorized as "miscellaneous" are fairly high. Yet Jamie took parts like that and managed to make them feel like a natural fit for that building.

When I purchase, will mostly likely add some depth to the building.  Will move the kitchen to the first floor (park the fire truck outside) and make the 2nd floor living quarters with bunkbeds. Thinking with a little creativity this set could be one of the best of the series.  Christmas tree needs a little bit of rework.

Love the theme, glad we got a new build, can't say a Firestation was first on my wish list for this year build (wasn't even on my list).  

Thank you very much for this press release, WhiteFang! :classic:

On 9/10/2018 at 2:02 AM, Robert8 said:

I really dislike the tree and the snowman. But the rest of the set looks great.

I completely agree with you Robert8!

The tree and the snowman do look really bad. Plus I dislike the fact that the fire engine doesn't fit inside the garage by its whole length. And a beanie for the baby would really have been necessary, too. :thumbdown:

But the minifigure selection, the two new torso prints (fireman + baby), the interior details and esp. the exterior archtitectual design of the building and the frozen fountain are hillarious! :wub:

18 hours ago, mirecg said:

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed here. I really love the Winter Village series and was looking forward to get a new set this year like a small child :) . Even though the set is nice and has some nice features, from my point of view it doesn't fit the Winter Village very well :( I was expecting a small Winter Village town hall or a caffee house / restaurant..... simply a place where the minifis can have wonderful time in the Christmas mood :) 
Having said this I still might be getting one of these because I'm really so keen on expanding my Winter Village, but it is still a kind of bitter sweet feeling now.

I have to agree with you, too, mirecg!

Like already said, the set is fantastic. Nevertheless I feel that our WV isn't still a real village: The only "shops" we've been getting so far were the bakery and the toy shop. We definately need more civilian downton buildings like candy shop, winter sports shop, hotel, grocery, ...

Happy to see a Fire Station released as the latest release for the WV series for many reasons, not just because I'm a firefighter. Its good to see that the series is kind of back on the format of small styled buildings from the original first 3 releases, as I personally thought the cottage was too big and looked out of place and the santa workshop although nice seemed a blip in the series imo and I won't go there with the re-released Toy shop.

Anyway back to the Fire Station and the Fire service fits in with the WV them as in many towns and villages, the Fire Service are involved with festivities by driving Santa through towns/villages and many a fire engine can be seen out and about assisting putting up Xmas decorations.

Yes the building maybe doesn't look like the style of the first 3 buildings, ie sloped roof with snow on and does look more like a Chicago/New York style station, but I like it all the same and it was never going to suit everyones pallet after seeing some of the Winter Fire Stations MOC's that have been made. This is maybe why the designers made it this way so it couldn't be claimed as a copy or too similar to someones creation. On this note, I did build one myself on the Lego Inside Tour in 2014 but mine had sloped roofs too.

The engine is neat and fits the era it is designed for. Maybe the only change I would have made is having the ladder in Reddish Brown to resemble a wooden ladder. The firefighters uniforms are great, hope these become available on BnP as would get these for my city Firefighters to use on ceremonial parades. 

For those who (like me) don’t care for the tree in this set, be sure to check out the video link I posted on the previous page. The tree design in that building guide uses a lot of the same sorts of parts but I like the overall design a lot better.

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

For what it's worth, this uses Dark Red, not Sand Red (i know that's probably just a typo).

And to be honest, I don't think LEGO even makes very many parts anymore that are so specialized I'd consider them "throwaway" parts. Even if all you build is modular buildings, just look at how Assembly Square used the big Technic scoops. Parts like those tend to be so specialized that if I have to sort them into storage I usually throw them in the same "miscellaneous" tub I use for a lot of other big oddball parts like the chrome drill from Rock Raiders or the giant turbines from Exo-Force. And a lot of the parts I've built with and collected over the years are Bionicle, so my standards for what is big and specific enough to be categorized as "miscellaneous" are fairly high. Yet Jamie took parts like that and managed to make them feel like a natural fit for that building.

Of course it does - why the hell did I write sand-red there?!? Momentary lapse, or maybe wishful-thinking I guess... *facepalm* :laugh:

Granted, it's fun to find new ways to use specialized parts, but to be useful as a parts pack for modular/city builders, you surely want a set that contains mainly bricks and a useful assortment of plates, brick modifieds and plate modifieds.

I have several bags fill of specialized parts I have doubt's I'll ever find usage for, e.g. the odd Technic liftarms that somehow made their way into my collection, some oddly shaped wedge-plates, the huge balljoints, and pretty much all highly-vehicle specific parts such as wheels/wheel holders, windscreen canopies (apart from the old fashioned ones that can also serve as glass-fronted counters) etc.

I love this set. I will seriously be considering this as my first Creator Expert Seasonal themed set. 

Intriguing building! I really like the style, there is a potential to become a modular unifying two same set. The surrounding scene is beautiful. Otherwise the fire truck looks poor, inaccurate and too small, only with a heavy restyling can be acceptable for me. Concluding, I am a huge fan of Lego fire theme, but despite the awesome building and scene, I will probabbly pass this time. Only if I find one at a good price I will take it.

I think its great. Another fine addition to the winter village series. Ive been collecting them since the beginning and Im quite happy with this one. This will certainly be going under the tree with the rest of them this year :)

I really like this set, but I have 2 main issues with the fire engine.

First, on every real 1920's fire engine of this size that I can find an image of the ladders are always mounted on the sides of the truck. The telescoping ladder trucks I can find from this era were quite a bit bigger. If the ladders were mounted on the side of the truck like in real life, then it would be possible to add a chair for Santa on top of the utility section along with some decorations like a small tree and presents. The truck my local fire department drives around at Christmas is setup like that.

My second issue has to do with the rear of the fire engine. Every fire engine I can find from this era, no matter the type, has a platform and rails on the back for 2 firemen to stand on and ride the truck to an emergency. The back of the Lego truck is severely lacking imho.

20 minutes ago, Silverhurst said:

I really like this set, but I have 2 main issues with the fire engine.

First, on every real 1920's fire engine of this size that I can find an image of the ladders are always mounted on the sides of the truck. The telescoping ladder trucks I can find from this era were quite a bit bigger. If the ladders were mounted on the side of the truck like in real life, then it would be possible to add a chair for Santa on top of the utility section along with some decorations like a small tree and presents. The truck my local fire department drives around at Christmas is setup like that.

My second issue has to do with the rear of the fire engine. Every fire engine I can find from this era, no matter the type, has a platform and rails on the back for 2 firemen to stand on and ride the truck to an emergency. The back of the Lego truck is severely lacking imho.

You’re using a too critical eye. There’s always liberties taken with sets. For a set this size, it’s a great representation.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:56 PM, LegoDW said:

When I purchase, will mostly likely add some depth to the building.  Will move the kitchen to the first floor (park the fire truck outside) and make the 2nd floor living quarters with bunkbeds. Thinking with a little creativity this set could be one of the best of the series.  Christmas tree needs a little bit of rework.

Love the theme, glad we got a new build, can't say a Firestation was first on my wish list for this year build (wasn't even on my list).  

So I just watched Jangbricks review of this set on youtube. Have to agree with him, this set is priced a bit high.  Even thought looks good piece count wise, actual quote "Volume of Stuff" appears bit lacking.  I'm ok with TLG locking in on the $100 (US) target for the sets, just feel they need to put a little more in the box to make it worth the price tag.  Anyone share this thought?

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, ParmBrick said:

Intriguing building! I really like the style, there is a potential to become a modular unifying two same set. The surrounding scene is beautiful. Otherwise the fire truck looks poor, inaccurate and too small, only with a heavy restyling can be acceptable for me. Concluding, I am a huge fan of Lego fire theme, but despite the awesome building and scene, I will probabbly pass this time. Only if I find one at a good price I will take it.

Suggest you dump the fire engine and rebrand the building. Lot of potential here for a town hall, store, even apartments.  I am planning on increasing the depth on mine to add a bit more detail.  

Bought this as soon as it became available! What an awesome set this is. Can't wait for next year already, but I got hooked with the Winter Village just 2 years ago, so I still have a lot to collect to have every set to complete the collection (if possible!)