Sign in to follow this  
MxWinters

Hello Everyone

Hello everyone, I've been a member for a little while but this is my first post. My name is Morgan, I live in Cornwall, UK, I am in my early 30's and have been a fan of LEGO since I was about 5 or 6. My main interests are theatre/stage lighting, physics, electrical/mechanical engineering, LEGO and video gaming, I also like fiddling around with Python and C code for the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino. As well as my LEGO project, I am also working on a computerised hamster cage with automatic lighting, climate control with the ability to record to file or stream over network, video data from the cage camera. As a side project, I am also making an external user interface unit for the cage with an OLED display, pretty colour LED's, menu buttons. This UI will be linked to the cage computer via a serial data link. One could say I like making things :P.

About My LEGO hobby:
As you may have guessed from above, my main building theme is Technic and I love making cars, off-roaders, mechanical machines and lorries (semi trucks), basically anything functional. I am not a fan of LEGO models that sit on a shelf gathering dust, when I build a model, I treat it as the real thing by making it earn its keep and making it work hard. For example, the last proto-type of the model I'm currently working on travelled just over 3 miles (4.8km) (according to Google Maps), and that's real miles not scale miles. My last off-roader did at least 50 real miles though I never kept a proper log of the distance so that value is a rough quess based on its speed and length of time I played with it.

When building with LEGO, I try to use the following design rules:
Strength and structural rigidity over looks and/or detail,
Reliability over complexity,
Power and torque over speed,
Modify nothing (except for adding stickers).
This is why every design I see online, or come up with myself, is tested extensively in the real world under a wide range of conditions before I use it in a model. If said design fails these tests in any way, I don't use it. This is the main reason why my big models can take years to finish, sorry no fast build times from me.

Due to the cost and playability limitations of official LEGO sets, I almost never buy them (sorry LEGO), I only normally buy parts from Bricklink. However, electrical parts such as Power Function, I will only ever buy from LEGO themselves. Apart from the 21312 Woman Of NASA set which I picked up a couple of weeks ago, its been many years since I bought a LEGO set. Due to this and the fact that I do not play with LEGO every day or several times a week, I am not an expert builder so please don't ever expect super awesome builds from me. I simply play with LEGO because I enjoy it and because LEGO, at least for the most part, doesn't actively try to kill you unlike playing with mains electrics. Here comes my slightly rebellious side, I also love building LEGO models of vehicles so I can drive them on public roads with no tax, insurance, MOT (annual safety check) ect. Luckily UK traffic laws don't apply to LEGO models hehe :P.

Current Project:
I am currently building a ~1:16 scale model of a 6x4 artic lorry (semi truck) built around Sariel's 4 speed sequential gearbox and Brickshelf user pipasseyoyo's cab shell design, I will post a topic with full details once the cab unit comes out of testing and into trails. This model is not based on any real cab unit, however the dimensions are as close as I can make them to the Volvo FH16 750 6x4. Due to the use of other people's designs, I personally do not consider my lorry to be a MOC, although some may disagree with my definition of a MOC meaning 100% my own creation. My cab unit is more like 50% other people's designs, 45% MOC, 3% brute force and 2% luck. As I said, I will post a proper topic for it soon with full details, specs, pictures and videos soon.

Please Note:
Please keep in mind that I have only ever built LEGO models for myself, therefore I do NOT publish instructions or LDD files of my models, I may post some in the future if I come up with a unique design for something, but please don't ever expect instructions or LDD files on any of my models. Feel free to put the effort in to reverse engineer my models if you want to build them yourself, but please don't ask for instructions. Also, most of my models contain design ideas that I've found online, thus it would be wrong of me to give out instructions on other people's work without their consent. Forgive me for adding this, but with the amount of rude comments on YouTube with people demanding instructions and as a new member, I just thought I'd make this clear from the outset.

Hope you have a good day/night,
Take Care,
Morgan

On 9/9/2018 at 7:38 AM, MxWinters said:

I am not a fan of LEGO models that sit on a shelf gathering dust

..i keep mentioning this on my posts! Its not for me either, lego's for taking apart and trying again!!

Instructions are a personal choice, some people love generating them - and god bless 'em! - but most don't, i doubt there'll be negative comments on here about that. At i'd hope not..

Nearly forgot... welcome to eurobricks!

14 hours ago, TeamThrifty said:

..i keep mentioning this on my posts! Its not for me either, lego's for taking apart and trying again!!

Instructions are a personal choice, some people love generating them - and god bless 'em! - but most don't, i doubt there'll be negative comments on here about that. At i'd hope not..

Nearly forgot... welcome to eurobricks!

Lol I totally agree. I only have two LEGO display models. The 21312 Woman Of NASA set and a model of the insane Napier Deltic engine. All my other LEGO is there for playing with, not for displaying.

I can see why, but I just don't have the time or motivation for make them. This forum seems to be respectfull unlike people on YouTube, but I just wanted to make it clear as the lorry I'm building is by far my biggest and most ambitious model and I bet someone will ask, I don't want this forum spammed with instructions requests.

Thank you, Tis nice to meet you :D

4 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Welcome aboard Morgan! :classic:

Hello LEGO Train 12 Volts, Thanks, good to meet you.