Sign in to follow this  
de Gothia

Challenge I: Loss and rebuild

42747128530_87ea898675.jpg

I tried a different angle on this challenge. It´s not just walls, houses and cities that need to rebuild after a war. Childrens need time to grief their losses before they can start to rebuild them self. . 

Hope you like it! C&C as always welcome

Edited by de Gothia

Wow, way to hit us with the feels, Goth. Very nice concept though! Like the use of the new harry potter flames.

Really abstract and brilliant take on the challenge @de Gothia! Love the minifig head choices, they convey the emotion they're feeling perfectly.

The black and white photo also adds a sombre mood to proceeds.

Nice!  I really like the take on the challenge and the photography.  The textured walls and the details in the furniture are great.  The girl sitting on the bed has some nice brick built legs, too.  I will say, it took me a minute to figure out that the kid was supposed to have his knees up to his chin--the legs seem a little tall to me--but I don't know what that would look like with legs sunk into the bed a little more--maybe better, maybe worse.  Great job!

A bit sad, but so beatiful *oh2*

A pity I can't admire the colours of your creation, though the presentation is top notch for sure :thumbup: 

Overall, a very strong entry (easy to say when its the first, but I mean it!)

Really nice photography.  I like the shading and lighting of the photo.  The scene is well built and conveys the message.  Nice job.  

The shot is well-composed and the concept is quite powerful. Greyscale works well here to emphasize the grief. I wish the picture did not have the words on it, as I think that detracts from the overall presentation, though. The words could be in the post as text, rather than as part of the image, and I think it would be better. 

I like the idea a lot here, but agree with Henjin about the text. Not only is it a tad too small, the font is more distracting than attractive and it simply covers up too much of the build. There are quite a few MOCers who cover up negative space with a lot of text or graphic elements (I know I'm one) but on a tight, focused build like this, I think you should at the very least present an alternate shot without the text.

A heart wrenchingly emotional scene which in terms of originality will be very hard to top.  The minifig expressions are really well chosen to convey the sadness of the scene.  Great work!

Nicely done and a very interesting take on the challenge :classic: Really like the posing with the legs of the kid to the right, great job!

Wow! That’s a lot of emotion in a small space, great minifig posing :thumbup: 

I do however agree with earlier posts that the text is a bit distracting and would have been better to just have beside the photo in the thread.

This is a very creative entry, and extremely well done at that. It delivers a lot of emotion on a small build, and the muted color scheme is fitting. I believe the boy's head is from the recent HP sets; however I can't identify the source of the girl's crying face? I didn't know it existed, and now I need a few!

I also think the photo might look better without the writing. Without reading anything, it seems obvious from the photo that they're mourning the loss of the father in the painting. But good work regardless.

Such an interesting take on the category and very moving. The posing and minifig expressions really sells the emotion, and it's a nice use of the new candle peice and flame. Having said that, I think possibly you could have pulled back the shot a little and made it even more powerful... say for instance if you had an area of unoccupied space to the left, with an empty chair where the father would normally sit in the evenings. It would really emphisise the sense of loss and absence experienced by the family.

Wasn't expecting that :cry_sad: Very easy to see what the kids are going through via their expressions and poses.
Brilliant use of that picture, and the whole interior is nicely built :thumbup:

Excellent work conveying the feeling and emotion through a single shot!  I personally think the text belongs on the picture rather than as a comment, so you don't lose the meaning.  Love the take on the Challenge!