zux

[MOC] My train stuff

This topic is going to be for all my train related MOCs as I do not intend to make separate topics for each one of them.

Now a bit of a story. It all started in my childhood when I always wanted to have a train set, but never got one. Now that I'm back from dark age there are few other themes I've been building for a while (Technic and Modulars). So there was no time and space for trains. Space is still a constrain, but somehow I decided to buy a locomotive from 60052 set simply because it was rather cheap and looks good. Next was an unexpected find that one of BL shops I was buying parts from had few Maersk coloured parts. I thought "cool, I've always wanted to have some of these". Well, you might suspect already how did this end - yes, I've bricklinked the Maersk locomotive (had to substitute some parts, but looks the same). This was a great chance to learn about trains. And at this point I found I could build my own stuff. 

I've been lurking Train section of EB forums for quite some time to enjoy the quality of MOC's as well as to find solutions for existing issues and learn new stuff.

Siemens ER20 CF

So let me present you the first MOC - Siemens ER20 CF. This Eurorunner family model is used by Lithuanian Railroads (LG - Lietuvos Geležinkeliai in Lithuanian) with total number of 44 units across the small country. There isn't much details or stories available on the internet apart from Wikipedia article. From my personal perspective ER20 CF looks like a Ferrari amongst other rolling stock built back in USSR. So it was an easy choice for a model. But not from LEGO perspective. Original train is modular and some parts from less powerful and smaller in size ER20 used in ER20 CF. However ER20 CF is longer and higher. The first challenge was cabin, the roof of the cabin actually. Since CF model is higher there was and extention-adapter made for the roof, which gives a unique look and it was the main feature I wanted to make it was built well with LEGO as it makes model recognizable. This gave me a lot of headache as I've experimented with various slopes. Once this was sorted the rest was pretty much straightforward. Well, the front wasn't easy too, and it had to be rebuilt quite a few times, but I knew it is going to workout eventually.

My intention is to build a static model, that could go over LEGO train tracks. So no motorisation, at least for now. However the model is 58 stud long (excluding the magnets) and since LEGO track radius is quite small I had to deal with another issue - boogies. Train has 6 axles and it doesn't help. I'm sure this is not a big deal for you guys, but I've spent quite some time trying to figure out the best option for 3-axle boogie. Couldn't decide which is the best so built each of two boogies slightly differently - one is rigid with floating middle axle, and another one has last axle articulated. In the end train looks ridiculous while passing LEGO curved track, but it manage to do so.

I'm satisfied with the model, especially since I'never build in such scale before. Obviously due to this there are also few bits I wish to do better (especially motorisation), but haven't got to find the way of doing it. I'm happy to hear your comments and suggestions so I can improve in the future.

43643770285_ba8cac3245_c.jpg

44503528142_9f19493538_c.jpg

42744216030_bb9f269fc0_c.jpg

Few more pictures in Flickr album.

Edited by zux

I really like the fan detail thats a good touch.  The train is recognisable and has similar features so I'd say mission accomplished.  And x2 on the rail images lol

Really nice MOC, I especially like your solution on the corners on top of the cab, not easy to fix that "douple sloping".

Motorization should be possible with PF unless your bogies have very particular arrangements that do not allow for technic pieces.

Nice train! Can we see the interior (or what there is of one) and, even if it looks ridiculous, the train on a normal Lego R40 curve?  I'd really love to.  

https://goo.gl/images/DT5fRE

Do these coaches belong with this locomotive, and, if so, will you be making them?

Edited by Vilhelm22

Thanks for feedback everyone. 

On 9/14/2018 at 3:25 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Nice train! Can we see the interior (or what there is of one) and, even if it looks ridiculous, the train on a normal Lego R40 curve?  I'd really love to.  

https://goo.gl/images/DT5fRE

Do these coaches belong with this locomotive, and, if so, will you be making them?

Keeping in mind this is my first train I didn't have a goal to build interior, so there is none. If you meant to see the inside of the cabin (to see how it is built) I have made the following picture:

43097905490_92b5029cd0_c.jpg

Here is how it goes over R40 curve:

44909778501_38cdbcdd62_c.jpg

43097905670_ba048aef0d_c.jpg

I've never seen coaches shown in your picture to be pulled by this locomotive. It usually pulls freight cars, like shown in this picture. Sometimes two locomotives used to pull more load.

By the way, I've built some cars already, just need to make few more pictures of them and post them here.

Yeah, it IS LONG. Not just compared to LEGO trains but also the real ones. 

A while ago I found a great technique for door handles from @Duq (initially discovered here on EB, but could only find picture on Flickr now). This seem to be a great idea as it should have fit nicely into my train. In the end Erling bricks didn't work for me since I couldn't get bucket handle inside and there wasn't space below the brick. However Technic bricks was just a perfect fit.

Before - after:

49734178667_196852bb52_c.jpg

By the time train was made I've completed some cars to look like the proper train, however never had time to actually picture them as they are a bit of a pain to picture due to dark colors. Managed to get some decent pictures today.

Oil Tank car. It is based on real-life model (including the color) and is scaled to 8 studs.
49733516288_bf016a10ab_c.jpg
49734060071_73d34e0177_c.jpg

Open-top hopper. This one is build with pretty much the same approach as one above - based on real-life example with correct color and scaled to 8 studs.
49733516268_bfb88ab78a_c.jpg
49734385772_95a1327a11_c.jpg

Lumber car. Built to have proportions of a real-life car, but isn't based on any particular type. 8-studs wide.
49733516193_cbc7e04634_c.jpg
49734060011_0676e55fe9_c.jpg

Flat car. Since I build with Technic as well I wanted to build one car from Technic parts. Bent liftarm came to the rescue! Not based on any model and is 7-studs wide.
49734060001_8bbba36344_c.jpg
49734385717_f326e34a7e_c.jpg

Edited by zux

6 hours ago, zux said:

A while ago I found a great technique for door handles from @Duq (initially discovered here on EB, but could only find picture on Flickr now). This seem to be a great idea as it should have fit nicely into my train. In the end Erling bricks didn't work for me since I couldn't get bucket handle inside and there wasn't space below the brick. However Technic bricks was just a perfect fit.

Before - after:

49734178667_196852bb52_c.jpg

Nice use of the bucket handle :sweet:! I like the Minifigure, Footgear Ice Skate part# 93555 also in a technic brick!

93555.png

I've initially considered this piece, however it proved to be too long (wouldn't fit between bars) and out of scale.

This is something I haven't event thought of, for unknown reason. However, I would have changed minifig hand to bucket handle anyway as it looks so nice and accurate.