Jerac

[MOC] Star Wars: The X-Wing Story

I finally bought the instructions and going through my stuff to get the parts.

anything i should know before i bricklink the missing parts?

i am using the xml part file 08.

Thx!

Most recent version is 0.9 (either fading or normal). If you happen to get the older one, ask BrickVault for the correct one.

Its looks allright. Instructions are 09,

just the xml files are name 08 but seem to be 09 as i can read in the version history ( about the 5 flex tubes).

i had a look at the instructions and can’t wait to start it! Looks fantastic!

Orders on bricklink are on the way.

Bought the build instruction many, many months ago, just got to finally built this excellent x-wing.

Question about the wing mechanism built: I feel my s-foils move way too freely, as if there is very little to near zero tension. Light movement on the whole built some time just get the wings close... What/where is the tension that hold the s-foils to stay open?

3 hours ago, lytliew said:

Bought the build instruction many, many months ago, just got to finally built this excellent x-wing.

Question about the wing mechanism built: I feel my s-foils move way too freely, as if there is very little to near zero tension. Light movement on the whole built some time just get the wings close... What/where is the tension that hold the s-foils to stay open?

You need to check the gearbox. There are two 3L axles with studs entering a 1x1 technic brick, and this is what provides most of the tension. Please also check if the gearbox is properly attached to the upper hull beams with the 1x2 clip-hinges.
I think it is the gearbox not attached to the frame which is most likely to cause these issues.

Please understand however that it is still more a display model than a play one, and it was not built to hold wings open during swooshing forever.

19 hours ago, Jerac said:

You need to check the gearbox. There are two 3L axles with studs entering a 1x1 technic brick, and this is what provides most of the tension. Please also check if the gearbox is properly attached to the upper hull beams with the 1x2 clip-hinges.
I think it is the gearbox not attached to the frame which is most likely to cause these issues.

Please understand however that it is still more a display model than a play one, and it was not built to hold wings open during swooshing forever.

ok Jerac. will go back to the basic again. Thanks man :)

I just finished it and i actually have the inverse problem, the opening with the key is hard as hell.

i may check if everything is well connected but i’ll do it later.

its was a wonderful building experience ( yes with a lot of swearing and sometimes build thats crumbles into my hands)

I was expecting something even more fragile but the build is really great.

I’ll post some pics of it later.

:D 

It is supposed to be hard, so wings keep open when swooshing, at least as much as possible.
I guess something involving worm gear would be nice here, but there is so little space inside...

Here.s mine:

I just did some light recolor for my personnal taste and to keep the budget on this as low as possible using parts i had in stock.

Still have to work on the canons as i am not really happy with those long flex tubes and i saw a nice solution on this thread to strenghten the rear i might try ?

47963815703_7bd9517ed9_b.jpg_mg_9994 by m H, sur Flickr

47963842616_545311ab04_b.jpg_mg_9993 by m H, sur Flickr

but now i have that resistance t70 near your xwing moc and it looks so blocky !

After long, long time of trying to sort out some modifications & structure re-enforcements, finally my take of the X-wing is done. It may still be a "perfection-in-progress" project to make it as the-best-most-movie-accurate build possible. At the moment, I'm very loving the overall build. 

I added some short flexi tubes inside the fuselage for structure re-enforcements.  I must admit the cannon tips is a "cheat" - I cut off 2 side of a dish 2 x 2 inverted. It just me trying to make the whole built still a fully "Lego" built & still have the closes accurate looks. Don't judge me... :}

48254273521_7806bf6654_c.jpg20190708_233803 by Liew yee ta, on Flickr

48254346487_ef156f2b60_c.jpg20190708_223605 by Liew yee ta, on Flickr

Edited by lytliew
missing info added

Hello all,

I just finished buying all the parts for the factory spec white version, and while I wait for the parts to come in, I just had a few comments and questions.

Part 3614a (round 1x1 plate with hole, with towball) seems to be harder to come by than 3614b, which has a hexagonal hole rather than circular. I hope that won't make a big difference, but they were more commonly available.

The 1x4 hinge swivel plates come in their separate pieces in the file, but apparently Bricklink does not register these pieces separately. I swapped them out for the one that registers them as together and had no problem. 

As for questions, which issues discussed in the thread have been fixed as of the final version? I plan, before I build this and after I sort all the pieces, to read the whole thread to prepare for issues. However, it would help to know which issues have been rectified as of v9. 

v9 is the most recent one. The only issue is wobbling, but I don't think there is any thing I can do without a very major redesign. Maybe if I'll tackle the T-70 this one would get an update too. All in all this was never meant to be a swooshable ship ;)

Okay, thanks! However, I just realized that I have v8 downloaded, and I haven't gotten an email or anything with the newer version. How do I get that? And is the parts list different for v9 than v8?

7 hours ago, caperica said:

Okay, thanks! However, I just realized that I have v8 downloaded, and I haven't gotten an email or anything with the newer version. How do I get that? And is the parts list different for v9 than v8?

That's odd. Well just ask brickvault to send you the latest version. I also asked them what's up with that. Sorry for the trouble!
The differences are minor, but I do not remember if they affect the parts list. It was quite some time ago. I can check this for you later.

3 hours ago, Jerac said:

That's odd. Well just ask brickvault to send you the latest version. I also asked them what's up with that. Sorry for the trouble!
The differences are minor, but I do not remember if they affect the parts list. It was quite some time ago. I can check this for you later.

Okay, thanks! I can check the parts list once I get v9, you don't have to do that. I'll let y'all know!

Now I wonder, is there anyone done stickers/water decal to use on this size of X-Wing? 

It wound be awesome to see the whole x-wing covered with little extra detail. :)

I would think this minifig scale starfighter would be a rough 1/48 scale may be? Possibly can use Bandai's 1/48 red-5 X-Wing Starfighter's sticker?

Edited by lytliew
missing info added

On 7/29/2019 at 12:00 AM, lytliew said:

Now I wonder, is there anyone done stickers/water decal to use on this size of X-Wing? 

It wound be awesome to see the whole x-wing covered with little extra detail. :)

I would think this minifig scale starfighter would be a rough 1/48 scale may be? Possibly can use Bandai's 1/48 red-5 X-Wing Starfighter's sticker?

I haven’t done decals per se, but I Had used yellow electrical tape to get some of the yellow accents of red 5. I since decided against this and went back to Jerac’s dark tan pieces instead. 

spdDxye.jpg

10hUzoS.jpg

gNSlCDH.jpg

qgabrWR.jpg

DKKrS3z.jpg

Hey @Jerac, what’s new with V9? I believe I got V8, is there anything worth modding or rebuilding? 

No, thankfully v9 is only for clarifications in the instructions, so the build did not change between v8 and v9. Sorry for confusion!

Btw, yellow stickers look great... :D