Gabe

Freebuild - Avalonian timber mill

Just a little freebuild in Avalonia that i made as part of the Summer Joust this year - i just remembered that i was intending to post it here! (I have another from the same period too, but i need to swap out figs and take more pics, so that will come later) :grin:

Timber Mill 4

Timber Mill 2

Timber Mill 5

Timber Mill 6

Hope u have enjoyed my build! C&c welcome. :classic:

Oof. That's good build. Love the base and the Skyrim Lumber Mill feel of this. There are some great details here like the gold accents, foliage, and flowers. I would like to see more of the water, since what is visible seems intriguing!

This is a beautiful creation, starting with the great water technique, and the irregular SNOT border!  Then I love the sideways stonework, the multi-colored roof, and the open structure of the saw section! :thumbup:  Great job!

Love that roof! :grin:  Definitely a great job with this, Gabe; the woodwork and irregular border are pretty sweet as well! 

Saw this on Flikcr and really happy to see it again! The whole moc is flawless! The irregular base with snotted edges. The water that looks so natural... the roof, holy banana that roof! Love it! Excellent work mate!!:wub:

Great work! I like the colour scheme of the roof. And the logg that is sawed into planks! Beautiful!

I will second what a lot of people said already: The roof is awesome, the border is fantastic... it also reminded me immediately of the Skyrim sawmill.  A few other things that I noticed: the 1 x 1 x 2/3 45° quadruple convex slope pieces (the metallic ones from the NK sets) look really good.  I would not have expected the metallic pieces to look that good next to the greys, but they do.  The waterwheel looks awesome (and like it was a pain to put together!).  The whole scene really looks well put together and organic.  The stone path winds in a natural way, the small flowering bushes along the side of the path seem like they grew there, and the docks fit perfectly into the river and mill.  Great job!

Lovely build Gabe!  The architectural details are nice, particularly modified 1x2s as corner bracing at bottom of the roof and the stacked rocks foundation.  :thumbup:

Great job.  The roof is wonderful.  The mill is really neat, love how you put the logs in at one end and the the cut boards at the other.  The stream is nicely done with the different shades of blue.  The landscaping fits in really well with the flowers and the small trees, gives it color and doesn't get to cluttered.  I love the Nexo Knight shield pieces they are so useful.  

You should build more Avalonian builds, because if they're all as good as this one... :wink: 

The colourscheme is absolutely lovely :wub: You've used some excellent techniques as well, for example the roof, the water (though I have to say there's a very straight corner between light and dark blue in the first pic, on the leftern side of the stream) and the stone base as well :thumbup: 

On 9/8/2018 at 6:02 PM, mccoyed said:

Oof. That's good build. Love the base and the Skyrim Lumber Mill feel of this. There are some great details here like the gold accents, foliage, and flowers. I would like to see more of the water, since what is visible seems intriguing!

Thanks Mccoyed! I've had a few people mention Skyrim, although i don't know the game myself - i must have picked it up from my reference pics. The water is really quite simple - trans light and dark blue tiles over various blue coloured plates, interspersed with some trans clear elements for foam and bubbles etc. I find it a nice mix for a flowing stream. :classic: There is another pic on my flickr which is slightly elevated on the water side and shows it a little more clearly.

On 9/9/2018 at 1:03 AM, Kai NRG said:

This is a beautiful creation, starting with the great water technique, and the irregular SNOT border!  Then I love the sideways stonework, the multi-colored roof, and the open structure of the saw section! :thumbup:  Great job!

Thankyou Kai! I enjoyed making the sawblade section most of all i think. Not sure that it is 100% successful, but it gets the point across! :wink:

On 9/9/2018 at 1:43 AM, Garmadon said:

Love that roof! :grin:  Definitely a great job with this, Gabe; the woodwork and irregular border are pretty sweet as well! 

Cheers Garmadon! The roof design is modified from Siercon and Coral's excellent tutorial, which you can watch here. I've used it before in my Mitgardian moc from a few years back, it's a fantastic technique! 

On 9/9/2018 at 4:46 AM, de Gothia said:

Saw this on Flikcr and really happy to see it again! The whole moc is flawless! The irregular base with snotted edges. The water that looks so natural... the roof, holy banana that roof! Love it! Excellent work mate!!:wub:

Thanks deGothia for your kind words! :classic:

16 hours ago, Zilmrud said:

Great work! I like the colour scheme of the roof. And the logg that is sawed into planks! Beautiful!

Thanks Zilmrud, glad you like it! :classic:

10 hours ago, Grover said:

I will second what a lot of people said already: The roof is awesome, the border is fantastic... it also reminded me immediately of the Skyrim sawmill.  A few other things that I noticed: the 1 x 1 x 2/3 45° quadruple convex slope pieces (the metallic ones from the NK sets) look really good.  I would not have expected the metallic pieces to look that good next to the greys, but they do.  The waterwheel looks awesome (and like it was a pain to put together!).  The whole scene really looks well put together and organic.  The stone path winds in a natural way, the small flowering bushes along the side of the path seem like they grew there, and the docks fit perfectly into the river and mill.  Great job!

Thanks Grover for your kind comments! I agree about the little pyramid peices, they work well for stonework as they aren't too bright. The trick to getting them to blend in with the grey, i think, is to not overuse them. The waterwheel was indeed a pain and is the part of the whole moc that i dislike the most! I had to build up the trans-clear 'foam' in that area just to make it look like it was actually being turned by the water at all.. :look: I don't find it an altogether satisfactory solution, i think i will have to revisit it again in another build. 

8 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

Lovely build Gabe!  The architectural details are nice, particularly modified 1x2s as corner bracing at bottom of the roof and the stacked rocks foundation.  :thumbup:

Thanks mrcp6d, glad u like it! :classic:

8 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Great job.  The roof is wonderful.  The mill is really neat, love how you put the logs in at one end and the the cut boards at the other.  The stream is nicely done with the different shades of blue.  The landscaping fits in really well with the flowers and the small trees, gives it color and doesn't get to cluttered.  I love the Nexo Knight shield pieces they are so useful.  

Thanks zoth33 for you kind comments! I'm glad that the concept of raw product going in one end of the mill and processed product emerging from the other comes across... i wanted to hammer that point home as i wasn't sure if the function of the building would be clear otherwise! :laugh: I agree with you too, i love those Nexo knight shields and it's great to see them coming out in new colours too (Gotta get me some sand green ones now!). :classic:

8 hours ago, TitusV said:

You should build more Avalonian builds, because if they're all as good as this one... :wink: 

The colourscheme is absolutely lovely :wub: You've used some excellent techniques as well, for example the roof, the water (though I have to say there's a very straight corner between light and dark blue in the first pic, on the leftern side of the stream) and the stone base as well :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus for your comments! Haha i may very well - part of my motivation for sending my old character Erudhalion to wander round for a bit was so i could get to build more in each guild. :wink: I guess we shall see how that pans out..!  Have to agree with you about the straight water edge on the left hand side - it is a bit odd sitting next to the irregular base like that, and doesn't do much to suggest the waters flow. 

Wow! This is a masterpiece. It's tough to find something that someone hasn't already said: the colour palette is delicious, the scale is terrific, the SNOT sloped base is amazing (despite how trivial it is to the overall build), the functional detail is realistic and the photography is first class.

All in all it's a lesson in how to MOC.

The water is the highlight of this build for me, with the different variations on blue going on there. I love the technique used on the roof, as it is one of my personal favorites to use as well, but I especially like the way you capped it with the brown Nexo shields. The whole scene is packed with great details and even better fig posing, giving a clear sense of the action taking place. The static build almost has motion, and I can practically hear the workers yelling instructions to each other as they lift and saw. Excellent work. 

latest?cb=20111117170132

So that's the building that came to mind when I saw this build, though your color scheme is a lot more vibrant than Skyrim's! If this was one of your reference images, then congrats on evoking it so well. I do see this kind of design pop up a lot since Skyrim has been pretty influential on fantasy media and concept art. I don't think there was such a prevalence of pseudo-Norse aesthetics before the game came out, for example. As a guy with an English Lit. degree sub-specialized in Northern European heroic tales and Norse mythology, I live to see this kind of thing.

As everyone has already said, this is a simply fantastic MOC. The colour scheme and details are all perfect, and I really like the use of the sand green tiles together with the brown shield pieces in the roof. Really great work!

:wub::wub: Lots of beautiful designs in the wood and stone portions of the mill :thumbup: Tons of fun details of timber work too! Are those uruk-hai swords you used for the saw blades?
Fun touch including some small doors in the stone foundation, presumably behind them is storage space? Tremendous landscape as well :classic:

"Just a little freebuild..." Sure. We know you better than that! :pir-wink:

This is simply beautiful. :wub: That roof is incredible - the shields really top it off well - but the whole scene is very nicely detailed and textured. I love old mills, and this is one of the best. The structure is lovely to look at, and what we can see of the inner workings looks great. (Any chance of some close up interior pics? :excited: ) The base and building foundation are superb. You also did a fine job showing a log going in and sawn planks coming out. And I approve just about any Historic MOC featuring ladies in printed dresses!

I'm also wondering what you used for saw blades; for a crank-style sawmill I always envisioned using long tiles. Zoomed in I can't quite tell the exact part, although they're obviously thinner than tiles. It looks very convincing at any rate, and the overall level of activity is just about perfect.

My one point of criticism is the waterwheel. Overall it's a pretty good design, ie lots of parts :grin: , but it seems too small for the job, especially for an undershot application. (And I did read your comments concerning it.) If you're interested, check out the designs below. You could easily modify one to fit a build like this, and I recommend leaving the underwater portion out altogether.

All-around good work, as always. Keep it up. :thumbup: :classic:

nd3l1x.jpg

The pic needs to be rotated 90° to be seen in the proper orientation. Oops...

Edited by Captain Dee

On 9/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Basiliscus said:

Wow! This is a masterpiece. It's tough to find something that someone hasn't already said: the colour palette is delicious, the scale is terrific, the SNOT sloped base is amazing (despite how trivial it is to the overall build), the functional detail is realistic and the photography is first class.

All in all it's a lesson in how to MOC.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:40 PM, narbilu said:

What a stunning build, so much going on and the presentation is fabulous!

On 9/11/2018 at 2:39 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The water is the highlight of this build for me, with the different variations on blue going on there. I love the technique used on the roof, as it is one of my personal favorites to use as well, but I especially like the way you capped it with the brown Nexo shields. The whole scene is packed with great details and even better fig posing, giving a clear sense of the action taking place. The static build almost has motion, and I can practically hear the workers yelling instructions to each other as they lift and saw. Excellent work. 

Thanks so much Basiliscus, Narbilu and Henjin! :blush:

On 9/11/2018 at 7:16 AM, mccoyed said:

latest?cb=20111117170132

So that's the building that came to mind when I saw this build, though your color scheme is a lot more vibrant than Skyrim's! If this was one of your reference images, then congrats on evoking it so well. I do see this kind of design pop up a lot since Skyrim has been pretty influential on fantasy media and concept art. I don't think there was such a prevalence of pseudo-Norse aesthetics before the game came out, for example. As a guy with an English Lit. degree sub-specialized in Northern European heroic tales and Norse mythology, I live to see this kind of thing.

Yes! I certainly did have that pic in my reference folder (alongside some gifs of a mill you could buy in Second Life, lol). So there you go. It is quite stunning concept art, for sure. :classic:

On 9/11/2018 at 7:41 PM, Ayrlego said:

As everyone has already said, this is a simply fantastic MOC. The colour scheme and details are all perfect, and I really like the use of the sand green tiles together with the brown shield pieces in the roof. Really great work!

Thanks Ayrlego! If you don't mind me asking, where in Australia are you from? :classic:

On 9/16/2018 at 10:20 PM, soccerkid6 said:

:wub::wub: Lots of beautiful designs in the wood and stone portions of the mill :thumbup: Tons of fun details of timber work too! Are those uruk-hai swords you used for the saw blades?
Fun touch including some small doors in the stone foundation, presumably behind them is storage space? Tremendous landscape as well :classic:

Thanks so much Issac! Yes, you have hit the saw blade on the... well, whatever... they are indeed Uruk-hai swords. Good eye! :classic:

On 9/17/2018 at 9:37 AM, Captain Dee said:

"Just a little freebuild..." Sure. We know you better than that! :pir-wink:

This is simply beautiful. :wub: That roof is incredible - the shields really top it off well - but the whole scene is very nicely detailed and textured. I love old mills, and this is one of the best. The structure is lovely to look at, and what we can see of the inner workings looks great. (Any chance of some close up interior pics? :excited: ) The base and building foundation are superb. You also did a fine job showing a log going in and sawn planks coming out. And I approve just about any Historic MOC featuring ladies in printed dresses!

I'm also wondering what you used for saw blades; for a crank-style sawmill I always envisioned using long tiles. Zoomed in I can't quite tell the exact part, although they're obviously thinner than tiles. It looks very convincing at any rate, and the overall level of activity is just about perfect.

My one point of criticism is the waterwheel. Overall it's a pretty good design, ie lots of parts :grin: , but it seems too small for the job, especially for an undershot application. (And I did read your comments concerning it.) If you're interested, check out the designs below. You could easily modify one to fit a build like this, and I recommend leaving the underwater portion out altogether.

All-around good work, as always. Keep it up. :thumbup: :classic:

Reveal hidden contents

nd3l1x.jpg

The pic needs to be rotated 90° to be seen in the proper orientation. Oops...

Thanks for your lovely detailed feedback Capt. Dee! :classic: Regarding further images, I have a few more pics of the mill on my Flickr, but sadly none that are closer, and the build has now been dismantled. Sorry! As mentioned above, the sawblades are actually Uruk-hai swords from the LOTR sets.

I know exactly what you mean about the waterwheel being too small, i had similar misgivings.Thanks heaps for the pic of all the waterwheels, they look AWESOME and i would have loved to have been poring over them when i was building this! (My google-fu failed me big time in that regard) Are they yours? Props if so! :wub::thumbup:

Believe it or not, that's in-game graphics. You should probably play Skyrim. :P

4 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Believe it or not, that's in-game graphics. You should probably play Skyrim. :P

Maybe i should! :excited: But then, if i do, i will have less time for building... :look:

The swords as saw blades are nice. I have a few, and I need to try it out.

Yes, those are my wheels. I meant to have each featured in a MOC by now, but real life prevented that from happening. The trick in building them is making a workable section, including the center spoke, and then replicating it...

Technically the upper-left wheel is supposed to be easily converted to a treadwheel, with lots of room for minifigs to walk inside, which is why it looks so different.

Your shipyard WIP is looking great, too.

On 9/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, Captain Dee said:

The swords as saw blades are nice. I have a few, and I need to try it out.

Yes, those are my wheels. I meant to have each featured in a MOC by now, but real life prevented that from happening. The trick in building them is making a workable section, including the center spoke, and then replicating it...

Technically the upper-left wheel is supposed to be easily converted to a treadwheel, with lots of room for minifigs to walk inside, which is why it looks so different.

Your shipyard WIP is looking great, too.

Ah, good stuff! :thumbup: The ship's wheel as the centre of the waterwheel is perfect, i'm so mad i never thought of that! I look forward to seeing your designs in some of your MOC's in the future. :classic: 

Thanks for the comment about my nascent shipyard as well... just x'ing my fingers it all comes together! 

So much to like about this, the roof, the base :sweet:. What I like most though are the finished planks at the end, just awesome!