I enjoy building in the Dwarven style, and have made a fair amount of Dwarven scenes over the years, but not any recently. Which made it a great time to experiment with another building. I also got back into the habit of including full interiors. The corner pillar design is a modified version of a technique used in the Disney Castle.

Eryl has many friends in Harburg, but one of his closest companions is Danyel: the son of  a Dwarven merchant. Despite being nearly the same age as Eryl, Danyel already shows signs of having a fine Dwarven beard in the years to come.

overview-1.jpg

When they have some free time, the two boys enjoy exploring the forests and mountains around Harburg or playing mischievous pranks. It must be admitted that most of the latter are Eryl's ideas, and he can just about always convince Danyel to help him carry out his tricks.

ov-low.jpg

back-1.jpg

open.jpg

See more pictures on Brickbuilt.

Felt great to do some building for Mitgardia again!

I love how stout this build is, and you've done some clever work with slopes in there.  The corners and angles everywhere really tie the build together. 

I know it would have been very difficult to pull off (maybe even impossible with current in-production pieces), but I would have liked to see the chimney flue in your cross section when the house is open. Also, I hope the sword on that wall is purely decorative and not used for home-defense, because it seems a bit out of reach for a dwarf!

Love the smoothness of the build! It looks simple but I can tell it's not. Very nice!

Nice little build Issac! The corner pillars look great and the corners of the cheese slope roof provide simple yet effective ornamentation that feels very Dwarvish. I love the hinged feature splitting the house in half as well, i've always wanted to try my hand at that. I have to agree with The Stad about the chimney flue though, that would have been awesome to see. Lovely work!  :classic:

So nice, lots of good details inside and out! I like the banner and the shield on the wall, and the roof's corner doesn't look that bad considering you uses cheese slopes on them! 

Great little house with some cool details and techniques! You have really created a dwarf style to your mocs! Love them!

Very nice!  I love the interiors and how the whole house is hinged.  I think you have captured a dwarven style very well.  Great work!

Nice Job.  The architecture sure does look dwarven.  I like how the house is hinged and has great playability.  windows look great too.  

Three hurrays for the full interiors! :excited: 

Good to see their return, as well as that of your Dwarven styled builds. These corners are lovely :wub: 

Nice work! You've packed a lot of detail into such a small build. Love the corner pillar design and the interior.

The only part I'm not totally sold on is the cheese slopes on the roof diagonals. To me it looks a bit strange. But others have said they liked it, so clearly it's my tastes which are outdated! :grin:

I like it quite a bit, but it is just so smooth and it bothers me a bit. Of course dwarves are excellent stonemasons and one would expect nothing less, but I guess I have just come to expect more texture on builds. That is not criticism, by the way, just a statement about how I feel about it, an expression of my taste. (@TitusV probably loves the lack of texture...)

I love how you have used the tiles on the sides to make it so smooth, rather than just bricks, and those columns in the corners are excellent indeed. I might have to have a go at copying the internal framework of those. I echo Basilicus about the roof, though. The stepped edge of the cheese slopes looks a bit off. It can work to an extent with the dwarven style, but I think there must be some other way to solve that issue more cleanly, that neither you nor I have yet thought of. Maybe Rolli has a solution, as the cheese master. 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, The Stad said:

I love how stout this build is, and you've done some clever work with slopes in there.  The corners and angles everywhere really tie the build together. 

I know it would have been very difficult to pull off (maybe even impossible with current in-production pieces), but I would have liked to see the chimney flue in your cross section when the house is open. Also, I hope the sword on that wall is purely decorative and not used for home-defense, because it seems a bit out of reach for a dwarf!

Thanks! That's a great suggestion, that I'll have to keep in mind for feature hinging models :thumbup:

On 9/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Ooh nice, great work here! Simple, but still textured, looks pretty nice! Very clean. :) Keep it up!

Thank you, I enjoy building in different styles to try different things, and working without wall texture just purposeful detailing is a fun exercise :classic:

On 9/7/2018 at 4:17 PM, Windusky said:

Love the smoothness of the build! It looks simple but I can tell it's not. Very nice!

Thanks!

On 9/7/2018 at 7:50 PM, Gabe said:

Nice little build Issac! The corner pillars look great and the corners of the cheese slope roof provide simple yet effective ornamentation that feels very Dwarvish. I love the hinged feature splitting the house in half as well, i've always wanted to try my hand at that. I have to agree with The Stad about the chimney flue though, that would have been awesome to see. Lovely work!  :classic:

Thank you Gabe, hinging buildings are a lot of fun and a great way of showing interiors :classic:

On 9/7/2018 at 9:16 PM, W Navarre said:

So nice, lots of good details inside and out! I like the banner and the shield on the wall, and the roof's corner doesn't look that bad considering you uses cheese slopes on them! 

Thanks Josiah! I'm glad you noticed the round shields in the wall, as that was one of my favorite details.

On 9/8/2018 at 2:47 PM, de Gothia said:

Great little house with some cool details and techniques! You have really created a dwarf style to your mocs! Love them!

Thanks dG :sweet:

On 9/9/2018 at 1:23 PM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I love the interiors and how the whole house is hinged.  I think you have captured a dwarven style very well.  Great work!

Thank you Grover! I like very orderly architecture for dwarven models - with lots of square edges and angles.

On 9/9/2018 at 3:00 PM, zoth33 said:

Nice Job.  The architecture sure does look dwarven.  I like how the house is hinged and has great playability.  windows look great too.  

Thanks! The windows gave me a little trouble at first, as I wanted stained glass but with a pointed arch. Eventually some sideways cheese under the inverted slopes worked out well.

On 9/9/2018 at 3:19 PM, TitusV said:

Three hurrays for the full interiors! :excited: 

Good to see their return, as well as that of your Dwarven styled builds. These corners are lovely :wub: 

Thanks Titus! It's a simple design for the corner columns that we'll cover in a tutorial at some point.

On 9/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, Basiliscus said:

Nice work! You've packed a lot of detail into such a small build. Love the corner pillar design and the interior.

The only part I'm not totally sold on is the cheese slopes on the roof diagonals. To me it looks a bit strange. But others have said they liked it, so clearly it's my tastes which are outdated! :grin:

Thanks Colin. I tried some other more complicated solutions for the four sided roof first, but was having trouble getting the proper slope without a lot of gaps. So eventually I settled on the cheese as I needed to finish the build, and actually liked this more than any of my other attempts :classic:

19 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like it quite a bit, but it is just so smooth and it bothers me a bit. Of course dwarves are excellent stonemasons and one would expect nothing less, but I guess I have just come to expect more texture on builds. That is not criticism, by the way, just a statement about how I feel about it, an expression of my taste. (@TitusV probably loves the lack of texture...)

I love how you have used the tiles on the sides to make it so smooth, rather than just bricks, and those columns in the corners are excellent indeed. I might have to have a go at copying the internal framework of those. I echo Basilicus about the roof, though. The stepped edge of the cheese slopes looks a bit off. It can work to an extent with the dwarven style, but I think there must be some other way to solve that issue more cleanly, that neither you nor I have yet thought of. Maybe Rolli has a solution, as the cheese master. 

Thank you HQ! Certainly way smoother than most Castle builds these days, which was definitely intentional here. I like switching things up a bit in my various builds, so that I don't get bored with any specific style.
You can remove the corner cheese at each layer and replace them with 1x1 tiles or round plates, but I liked all cheese better for this particular building. The roof is likely the weakest section of the house though.

Love that this opens up. Seems like a quintessential dwarven house to me. Would like to see some angled shots of the interiors to get a look at the furnishings!

On 9/11/2018 at 4:35 PM, mccoyed said:

Love that this opens up. Seems like a quintessential dwarven house to me. Would like to see some angled shots of the interiors to get a look at the furnishings!

Thanks Mccoyed, there are some pictures like that on Brickbuilt, here are two:
table.jpg

shelf.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. Great stuff!

Edited by mccoyed

Very nice and instantly recognizeable dwarven build :thumbup: 
In this case I actually think the interior details are stealing the show, not only the exterior.