Hi Everyone,

I've just started to design with the Studio 2.0 software and I really like it. I have a problem with the instruction maker feature.

I have model, which have identical parts on both side. Is it possible to show these "submodels" only once in the instructions with a multiplier (for ex. "x2")?

Currently, I have to create the steps of these parts twice...

Edited by ClassicLook

Select all the parts of one of the instances of your submodel.
A button “Create into Submodel” appears in the status line (you need to select at least two parts for that).  You can also right-click your selection and select Submodel / Create.
Now erase the parts on the other copy of your submodel and replace them with a copy (Clone tool, or select the submodel and type 'C').
You can’t just select the parts and create another submodel with the other copy because, even if they will have the same parts in the same relative positions, it won’t be the same submodel.

The submodel will now appear as a part in the Instruction Maker and when you hover over it, a button appears so that you can edit its steps, and in the Page Design, its steps will be shown only once and a x2 (or more) will be added, and (optional) arrows (as many as needed but initially all on top of each other) will help show where to put its instances.

Note that if you use/copy the same submodel in different steps, then its steps will be repeated and you won’t have a xN.

Also note that if you change the steps for one copy, they will change for the other copies too.  Unless you “unlink” them.

33 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Select all the parts of one of the instances of your submodel.
A button “Create into Submodel” appears in the status line (you need to select at least two parts for that).  You can also right-click your selection and select Submodel / Create.
Now erase the parts on the other copy of your submodel and replace them with a copy (Clone tool, or select the submodel and type 'C').
You can’t just select the parts and create another submodel with the other copy because, even if they will have the same parts in the same relative positions, it won’t be the same submodel.

The submodel will now appear as a part in the Instruction Maker and when you hover over it, a button appears so that you can edit its steps, and in the Page Design, its steps will be shown only once and a x2 (or more) will be added, and (optional) arrows (as many as needed but initially all on top of each other) will help show where to put its instances.

Note that if you use/copy the same submodel in different steps, then its steps will be repeated and you won’t have a xN.

Also note that if you change the steps for one copy, they will change for the other copies too.  Unless you “unlink” them.

Thank you for this detalied description. It seems a bit difficult for the first reading, but I'm trying to do this.

18 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

Thank you for this detalied description. It seems a bit difficult for the first reading, but I'm trying to do this.

It's working! Thanks!

Well, the first four out of the 16 finalists have been announced on the landing page! Sneak peeks only, as the pricing and details don't get announced until February 1 when the crowdfunding begins. I can't wait to see all of them! 

Hmm... a set of vignettes that would make a nice Gift With Purchase, a building to fit in your Creator Expert town, a microscale scene that wouldn't look out of place on the Brothers Brick, and a set of monorail nostalgia using roller coaster parts.  I guess a lot of people will like those, but I hope the other twelve finalists are more to my taste.

Edited by icm

@icm Apparently only the finalists who make the $10,000 crowdfunding goal will be approved as sets, because people who "vote" for them are placing pre-orders for the sets. So some of the finalists might make it, or none at all! We'll just have to see. I want to know what the other twelve look like. 

Mmh, I hope the next ones will be a bit more elaborated.
I was expecting something different than Ideas, focusing on interesting, more MOC-like builds instead of ideas.

Hot Shot seems pretty basic, the only interesting bit being the sign.

Skyline express, I'll need a closer look, but that's a lot of large parts, will probably be expensive for what it is. And it's hard to appreciate this after JK Brickworks' cute & motorized train on the same rails.

The Lego Story, the vignettes are cute, I might vote for that, only it's yet another company brown-nosing set, but ok. Not that amazing but well crafted with nice colors, possibly the most "pro" of these 4, the kind that reaches blogs.

Isle of Peril, here too I'll need a better shot of it. The boat is ok. I'm just not getting the "wow, great" feel of a MOC on Flickr.
Edit: ah wait we do have other shots. Well, meh for this one. I mean, we've seen much better skulls in MOCs.

Not that bad, but I hope the next ones will be better. Give me MOCs!
Bob De Quatre have you been reached? (I'll take it for a yes if you can't answer :)
Which other good MOCer participated?

Edited by anothergol

Like @anothergol I was expecting more MOC like entries, more elaborated... but let's wait for the other.

7 hours ago, anothergol said:

Bob De Quatre have you been reached? (I'll take it for a yes if you can't answer :)

No would be a more exact answer... :wink:

Since I entered a starfighter, I don't think I'll pass the selection... Anyway it was fun :classic:

1 hour ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Like @anothergol I was expecting more MOC like entries, more elaborated... but let's wait for the other.

No would be a more exact answer... :wink:

Since I entered a starfighter, I don't think I'll pass the selection... Anyway it was fun :classic:

Too bad.
I assume we're gonna see it?

(and isn't the selection done now?)

Edited by anothergol

14 hours ago, anothergol said:

Mmh, I hope the next ones will be a bit more elaborated.
I was expecting something different than Ideas, focusing on interesting, more MOC-like builds instead of ideas.

So did I, but the palette was kinda limited, and contestants only had two months to get the right idea and create a MOC that looks good, that people would want to buy, that's interesting to build, and that follows the rules. There were just too many constraints.

6 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

I'm a finalist! My entry, the Clovershire Castle, just got posted on the landing page :)  

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner_winner_model.page?id=57599

It's not the best out there, but I hope it makes it! :) 

Hey, congratulations! That's a most lovely little submission! :thumbup: :wub:

8 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

I'm a finalist! My entry, the Clovershire Castle, just got posted on the landing page :)  

And you had not been contacted first?

Not a bad entry btw. Just not exactly my style. Nor is the fire truck.

The viking ship is cool for what it is. The science tower however is my fav entry so far. Not perfect but it has a doll house feel that I like.

Btw, their renders (I assume they redid them) are strange, they enabled brick position randomness, but it's a bit silly, with parts being detached pretty unrealistically, like in your entry.

Edited by anothergol

@anothergol Lol no, I was contacted beforehand. I was just told not to tell until they presented it! ;) 

And for sure, some of the pieces I think weren't put on securely for the photos, which is why some of it looks wonky! 

It's definitely not for everyone, you're right! Of course that's part of the awesome challenge of trying to make it to the finish! ?

So does that mean all finalists have been contacted now? I entered the space theme and haven’t heard anything.  Either way it was fun and I’ll post it on my Flickr if not selected ?

Huh, it's interesting to see the undisclosed submissions broken down categorically:

adp-chart.png

Edited by Digger of Bricks

The third set of four finalists is up.  There's finally something I like: a nice 2000-part castle.  I'm still hoping for a spaceship in the last set ....

Yes, next 4.

-The castle. It's ok.. not one of those amazing realistic MOCs, more of in the legacy of Lego's own castles (with a bit more roundness, like Lego would probably do it in 2019). Which is fine, except... I'm not seeing where the 2000 parts went (not in the pretty basic hay roof, that's for sure). Will probably be expensive for what it is?
Personally, I would have preffered one of those ultrarealistic builds, even if it was 2000 parts in a single tower.

-Bikes. It's ok, here again, in the vein of what Lego would produce, not really a MOC. A bit too much for kids, maybe.

-Imagine it! Now this looks more like a MOC. Not exactly what I was looking for though. But it's nice enough.

-mini chess. Not bad. Here too it's a MOC. I'm sure it's unplayable, too tiny & the single studs will probably stick to the pieces. But if it's cheap enough..

I'm really hoping for something amazing in the last 4.

25 minutes ago, icm said:

I'm still hoping for a spaceship in the last set ....

Yeah, we haven't seen a mech or a spaceship yet :(

Edited by anothergol

On 1/22/2019 at 6:42 PM, icm said:

There's finally something I like: a nice 2000-part castle.

Heh, considering, that a pretty decent castle! :thumbup: :classic:

00pGl30.jpg

Edited by Digger of Bricks

1 minute ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Looking at the pictures, maybe the bulk of that 2000 is in the interior and the rocky base and plant life? At least that's where it looked like it came from.

Heh, I just realized looking at it again right now that it's technically a microscale build. :oh:

I'm not impressed so far, I would like to see the rest of the entries that were not selected