:grin: Actually, I’m starting to wonder if they will get enough contestants: Limited ADP palette, no IP, no warfare¹ (pretty usual with Lego but some AFOL like their guns), nothing that’s also on Ideas, no 3 stacked bricks, no no no…

(¹ BTW, admin Jaclyn was clear: no warfare at all, “avoid submitting depictions of large or human-scale weapons or weapon replicas of any kind (past, present or future), including swords, knives, guns, sci-fi or fantasy blasters, etc.”)

1 hour ago, SylvainLS said:

:grin: Actually, I’m starting to wonder if they will get enough contestants: Limited ADP palette, no IP, no warfare¹ (pretty usual with Lego but some AFOL like their guns), nothing that’s also on Ideas, no 3 stacked bricks, no no no…

(¹ BTW, admin Jaclyn was clear: no warfare at all, “avoid submitting depictions of large or human-scale weapons or weapon replicas of any kind (past, present or future), including swords, knives, guns, sci-fi or fantasy blasters, etc.”)

No 3 stacked bricks? I’m not sure what you mean did I miss something or do I need more coffee lol

2 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

:grin: Actually, I’m starting to wonder if they will get enough contestants:

I'm sure it will have too many, because Rebrick contests were getting a ton of entries, while being less attractive.

About the limited palette btw, I've just noticed this one, I hope it's not a mistake in the palette:

..but in LBG!!!

It's unlisted, it's exclusive to the very limited tractor set, Lego refuses to sell it by phone (I tried) and the only ones on Bricklink are 30 bucks each.

Meaning: unless it's gonna appear in a future set, I'd buy a set that uses many of these, regardless of the set :)

On 10/3/2018 at 1:05 AM, SylvainLS said:

Does this limitation include spaceship pew pew?? :cry_sad:

2 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Does this limitation include spaceship pew pew?? :cry_sad:

Jaclyn’s position seems rather categorical and absolute, but in the same post she says “That being said, a futuristic robot design sounds pretty darn cool. There's still hope! :D :ugeek: 

So maybe if you don’t qualify the pew-pews as weapons but as sensors and antennas, like in the good old times of Classic Space :grin:

41 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Jaclyn’s position seems rather categorical and absolute, but in the same post she says “That being said, a futuristic robot design sounds pretty darn cool. There's still hope! :D :ugeek: 

So maybe if you don’t qualify the pew-pews as weapons but as sensors and antennas, like in the good old times of Classic Space :grin:

Sadly there's no way that big gun I designed could pass as a sensor or antenna :laugh:

Even SF guns are forbidden? Damn, my entry has an optional Gatling gun attachment for the mechs :)

Well, it's optional.

2 hours ago, anothergol said:

Damn, my entry has an optional Gatling gun attachment for the mechs :)

It’s not a Gatling gun, it’s a “rotative sensor-drone launcher” :wink:

7 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

It’s not a Gatling gun, it’s a “rotative sensor-drone launcher” :wink:

Talking about guns that aren't, when I was a kid, Lego didn't have any gun yet (I think), and in the space theme, this was every minifig's gun:

3959.png

While Bricklink is less hypocritical about it & calls it "Minifig, Utensil Space Gun / Torch", I just love its official name (B&P / LDD). It's "BUTT". Just that, BUTT. In uppercaps.
It's not a gun, it's a BUTT!

Edited by anothergol

Finally got my build submitted, the stability check doesn’t make sense. How can a 2x4 tile get a clutch power error when connected on top of something? Or pieces of a symmetrical build have errors on one side and not the other?

Will BrickLink comunicate during the review phase? I think I read that...

Edited by Shroud

I can’t find the post but one of the admins said BrickLink will do the instructions and if the submission have some, they will treat them as a suggestion.

14 hours ago, Shroud said:

Finally got my build submitted, the stability check doesn’t make sense

Yeah their stability check is total BS right now (& I don't even think it could be made to work. It'd have to take part weight, gravity, clutch power [in a big database] & other frictions into account - they will never be able to achieve that). Fortunately it's not required for submissions.

5 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

Do you guys know if we actually have to do all the instructions before submitting an entry?

It's not required at all. Here I've just created groups for the stuff to be built together. They also hint that various colors for hidden parts are welcome.

What I don't know however is if the unique lots count matters. I have recolored some hidden parts to reduce it, but really I don't know if it's worth it.

11 hours ago, anothergol said:

Yeah their stability check is total BS right now (& I don't even think it could be made to work. It'd have to take part weight, gravity, clutch power [in a big database] & other frictions into account - they will never be able to achieve that). Fortunately it's not required for submissions.

It's not required at all. Here I've just created groups for the stuff to be built together. They also hint that various colors for hidden parts are welcome.

What I don't know however is if the unique lots count matters. I have recolored some hidden parts to reduce it, but really I don't know if it's worth it.

I watched the 2 hour video and they suggested to make internal colours different so it’s easier to distinguish in the instructions. Also it adds to how interesting the build is to make. Once they choose the 20 they will actually build them to make sure it works.

Thanks for the answers. I usually use a different color for internal parts, but for my entry I recolored somd to reduce the number of unique lots. I've also built my entry to do some checks and improvements. I'll submt it soon but I'm still worried about the gun... we'll see...

I think most of my submissions turned out to be buildings or landscapes lol! (Not that great with animals or objects), finished the last yesterday. And now we wait! :) 

443 entries, that's pretty low. But most likely the crap/good entries ratio has to be lower than in the average Lego contest, so maybe there are hundreds of good builds.

I thought the guy in the video had said "we currently have ninety.. hundreds entries so far", and that wouldn't have surprised me, especially when it's open to Asia, and there's money involved. Watching again, he actually said "ninety.. A hundred".

Edited by anothergol

And maybe sure some people got frustrated with the palette and didn't bother? I know there were some complaints about people finding it to be too limited.

Yes, a restricted palette, restricted subjects, and,even though some were fixed during the contest, there were a few problems with Studio, like hinges and minifigs not posable, no string, hose, and (still) no flexible part (they should have worked on that earlier, it’s really more of a feature than the stability check that no one understands and seems pretty useless anyway).

Well, let’s see what will come out of this.  Too bad this test run wasn’t done in optimal conditions, but then what does?

Frankly I was happy with the palette, it wasn't THAT restricted.  And it didn't really matter that initially minifigs had no working hinges, because the palette only supports plain minifigs that no one would want anyway, so even for sets designed for minifigs (like mine), minifigs were better left out.

About the restricted subjects, funny how 3% of the entries are "military".. Was there even a military category in the list, while they reject it?

@anothergol I didn't notice that the first time I looked at the graph, but on second glance I did. I wonder what they'll do about them? 

I'm best when working with buildings and landscapes so the palette worked pretty well for my entries. I did include a couple minifigs, but most of them were statues.

I think the graph is only based on tags people added to their entries. So they may be disqualified during the projects review phase.