Peppermint_M

Restoring Printed Parts

The title is as it is, I have one of these:

Lego Panel 2 x 5 x 6 Wall with Black Stripes Pattern

But due to age and past treatment (by others!) it is looking a little worn out, the printing is a little faded and outright cleared off in places. Now, I have a lot of resources to touch-up the print - Citidel Paints, paint pens, markers, acrylic paint and even the option of laying black vinyl sticker on to replace the damaged print.

Has anyone tried to restore a printed part and has advice? 

Thick black lines like that are quite easy. Use masking tape to mask off each line one at a time, then permanent marker / sharpie the line. Remove the tape and move on to the next line. I find marker doesn't leave a raised surface like some paints can. Plus black is easy as black is black. Whereas other colours are much harder to match. Similarly, thin lines or curved lines are harder to do, as you cannot mask them off so easily.

And I would (dare to) say: Don't restore it! Leave it as it is.

I once was in the same ballpark: Every piece of LEGO I owned had to be in perfect or at least good condition. Everything scratched or with faded prints got thrown into a special bin to never see daylight again. But then I realized: LEGO is a toy and toys are meant to be played with. Even some newer parts from 1 year old sets look a bit used, having dents or scratches after my kid played with them. I think this "patina" or imperfection gives the bricks a special kind of charme when used in builds.

Use them as they are and don't be ashamed about the look! Be proud that this piece has actually been used! :wink: