Sign in to follow this  
aeroid

Planes designs that need improvement

The 7893 airplane has been a jump from those tiny jets that plagued all the 90´s until the 2000s 

It´s the first plane with two rows of seats and 1 aisle like real planes, it´s design put the lego planes

in a new size and build standard making them more real, but the 7893 bring a problem:

The wing, that wing good at first sight but that has the problem of being the two wings join together in a single piece that

takes the mid space of the plane. And the new doors are ok but why not making doors for both sides of the plane?

I need what could be improved is:

-Keep the road of kiddy stye but not taking out options, fix the wings to be separate pieces, make the door piece to have doors on both sides, 

doors should have a small window.

-Details like moving spoilers on the wings, and maybe a new piece to make retractable landing gears.

-The wheels should be a little bigger

-Maybe a little visual improvement to the windows and the seats, the windows feel a little small and the seats are becoming boring

-A new printed design HUDS and controls for the cockpit 

-And last why not think of make compartments on the low part the plane?

Edited by aeroid

54 minutes ago, rjg173 said:

How many real airplanes have you seen with passenger doors on both sides of the fuselage?

Most Boeing models and Airbus jetliners do. At least here in the states....

3 hours ago, rjg173 said:

How many real airplanes have you seen with passenger doors on both sides of the fuselage?

Err.. all of them...?

I agree with the OP that it would be nice if the wings were separate but I think this would bring other problems to the design of the plane as the wings would need very little movement to lever themselves out of the fuselage.

Actually I learned something.. Remember all the airplanes you took.. the entry is always on the left side of the plane, the pilot cabin is always on your left side.. - even in the A380 and Boeing 777 I recently took - maybe there are doors on the other side but never seen them.. besides emergency exits..

Reference: http://www.traveller.com.au/why-do-passengers-always-board-planes-from-the-left-side-gtjqcy

Back on topic, an airplane with business or premiere class would be nice: a bit more "creator" style features and details..

Just going from memory not really checking, all jetliners I have seen only have doors on the left, as said maybe emergency exits on both sides though. Regardless I to would love to see some upgrades to the current plane parts. 

29 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Just going from memory not really checking, all jetliners I have seen only have doors on the left, as said maybe emergency exits on both sides though. Regardless I to would love to see some upgrades to the current plane parts. 

I mean every flight i have taken always has thru doors you can see when you board at the front, then two emergency over the wing and then two in the back where the truck rolls up on the right side to load in refereshments. 

I even googled "right side of aircraft" and every passenger plane I can see has doors that mirror the left side. 

Honestly I have flown many many times across both oceans twice and plenty of other flights, although that was 30 years ago, much has changed and I'm sure you are right too. I was just going off my memory apparently it's not so good. Maybe there were doors on the right side but since I always was boarded on the left I just never noticed the doors on the other side. Definitely not so sure, that I would argue the point, anyway a quick search will surely provide the correct answer. 

A quick search showed that indeed there are doors on the right side too, they are just never used for the boarding process so I guess I never noticed them, thanks for making me pay attention. I now must modify all my LEGO planes. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

the are doors in both sides since the 727 two in front two in the back and emergency exits, apart off the door issue the design problems of the one piece wing and the tiny wheels and windows is more important the lego planes are getting better yes, bigger yes, but you can´t be serious about those wheels for such big planes and the windows I prefer a kiddy duplo design with windows attached to the frame but big ones, and big wheels so the whole plane looks normal.

Wings as separate pieces sounds like it'd make the planes rather fragile, since you'd only have about 10 studs on each side supporting the weight of the entire wing — and those are not small wings! A single piece wing lets them share their connection points to the fuselage and balances the weight. I suppose individual wings MIGHT work if you used a different connection style like Technic, though

I would like to see more LEGO planes with working flaps, though! And windows on the doors could be cool if LEGO could figure out a good place to put the door connectors that they wouldn't block the view!

The plane from Heartlake City Airport had more detailed and comfier-looking seats, but as a result it had a lot fewer of them (just three seats). It also had a bathroom, a TV, and a flight attendant work station. I wouldn't mind City planes incorporating at least some of these sorts of amenities even if it came at the expense of some of the seating. It might help that minifigs require less leg room when seated than mini-dolls, so you could pack them in tighter — just like real airlines are doing with real people these days! :head_back:

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a tail piece that separates into top and bottom sections the way the 6-wide airplane/helicopter tails do. It would allow for a lot more usable space in the fuselage, and also more versatility for other types of model (like how some speedboat sets have used the bottom part of the helicopter nose and the top part of the tail as the front of a speedboat). In general I love using curved pieces in my MOCs so the more uses they have, the better!

For the wings I was thinking in a system like the connectors for the whole frame connecting tubes in the wings and holes in the body you attach it and makes it hold more like you say like technic.

Regarding the doors on the starboard side of the aircraft, they are typically used as service doors, eg. for catering. And of course as emergency exits.

Almost all aircraft have doors on the starboard side mirroring the port side doors, though there are exceptions. Almost all regional jets and turboprops only have doors on the port side and so does the DC-9/MD-80/MD-90/B717 family. These aircraft often have a smaller service door at the galley.

I'd also like to see the underside curved pieces in colors other than grey. And doors and engines in more colors – particularly blue and red.

Does Lego still work with Maersk? I ask because a Maersk cargo plane would be awesome.

21785-ssp2010-starair-b767-232-bdsf-zip-

Edited by sasbury

6 hours ago, sasbury said:

I'd also like to see the underside curved pieces in colors other than grey. And doors and engines in more colors – particularly blue and red.

Does Lego still work with Maersk? I ask because a Maersk cargo plane would be awesome.

21785-ssp2010-starair-b767-232-bdsf-zip-

OH YES PLEASE! 

A cargo plane like that and if the made it wide I could make a wide body airliner! 

On 9/6/2018 at 9:56 AM, rjg173 said:

Somebody needs to go to the airport and do some airplane spotting ? 

We need doors on aircraft and trains ! 

On the large aircraft need to have both doors so the catering trucks can load stuff on to the aircraft .  Even the A321 has doors in the middle of the fusselage on both sides , just like a wide body plane that use the middle door for loading people and avoid economy  passengers go trough first class . 

We truly need new mold for wings with dehidral and more Boeing and Airbus looks 

I don't need to go to an airport. I've flow plenty of times and my comment stands. Usually the doors found on the right side of the fuselage are NOT passenger doors, but service delivery doors. 

However, I build aircraft from the 1930s so doors are usually on one side of the airplane, if their on the side at all.

we truly need a brand new cockpit piece design , Lego still is producing and recycling the same nose piece since 2006 . A piece that resembles a 787 or A330 would do the work , something more authentic and realistic that you can clearly see the pilots inside  .

a new wing design mold its also needed that resemble a more modern aircraft   , hopefully a new piece that would allow to build flaps and spoilers on the aircraft and includes a dehidral shape  .

Edited by danimarroquin