Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[META] How Settlements have Grown

Nicely done, thanks! :thumbup:

What was up with Breshaun though? No growth for five month, then a sudden massive spike upwards?

Breshaun is also the best example for the biggest settlement staying ahead by (almost) nothing but automatic growth. There were only six properties licensed for Breshaun in the last twelve months, amounting to only 12 points of settlement size. Breshaun has still almost doubled in size in the same timeframe, growing from 183 to 333 (150 points). For reference: in the same timeframe, Mesabi Landing grew from 7 to 164 (157 points), but most of it came from "player work".

6 hours ago, Drunknok said:

What was up with Breshaun though? No growth for five month, then a sudden massive spike upwards?

I think the answer to that was royal property group builds.

6 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Breshaun is also the best example for the biggest settlement staying ahead by (almost) nothing but automatic growth. There were only six properties licensed for Breshaun in the last twelve months, amounting to only 12 points of settlement size. Breshaun has still almost doubled in size in the same timeframe, growing from 183 to 333 (150 points).

I've been complaining about the rate of automatic growth privately for some time now. I agree that it's a problem, at least in how it affects the trade value and thus the MRCA.

10 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Mesabi Landing is Fourth on the list. Coming for you Weelond!

Oh, look. It's nearly October. :wink: :pir-grin:

10 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Here's a quick graph showing how the top 10 settlements have grown since the start of BoBS!

Quite interesting. Thanks for presenting this!

18 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

e been complaining about the rate of automatic growth privately for some time now. I agree that it's a problem, at least in how it affects the trade value and thus the MRCA.

Suggestion?

Keep it?

Remove it?

Make it a one time multiplier (any given number of player builds are multiplied by some factor. Then there is no growth, unless player driven, but there is a representation of "all the other things" happening?

5 hours ago, Bregir said:

Suggestion? 

Keep it?

Remove it?

At one time I would have argued for making automatic growth MUCH smaller, but keeping it. But now I think it just needs to be removed entirely. We've proven that the settlements can be built up quite large by player activity. There's really no need for the automatic growth feature. All it does is add to inflation.

8 hours ago, Bregir said:

Suggestion?

Keep it?

Remove it?

Make it a one time multiplier (any given number of player builds are multiplied by some factor. Then there is no growth, unless player driven, but there is a representation of "all the other things" happening?

In theory the automatic growth makes a lot of sense. A settlement growing on its own is a very realistic feature - but not at all size levels.

In reality, settlements tend to grow for a while, then run onto a "plateau", then possibly shrink or grow, depending on factors outside of its influence. How about implementing this by leaving the automatic growth factor as it is for levels Large Town and City, but changing the current system for bigger settlements?

I also like the idea of linking player driven growth to the automatic growth.

8 hours ago, Bregir said:

Suggestion?

Keep it?

Remove it?

How about a maximum percentage of NPC properties in settlement?

On 9/5/2018 at 3:00 AM, Drunknok said:

Nicely done, thanks! :thumbup:

Your Welcome!

So I forgot to mention in the main post, that there are quite a few gaps in the data. Unfortunately, the top and bottom of the google sheet was cut of in a few months. For those months, I subbed in the previous month's data. 

On 9/5/2018 at 9:51 AM, Capt Wolf said:

I've been complaining about the rate of automatic growth privately for some time now. I agree that it's a problem, at least in how it affects the trade value and thus the MRCA.

I don't see it as a huge problem, but in game Breshaun is just going to be the biggest, forever, as it grows faster than anyone can catch up to it. Whether or not the court finds that unfair to the game is not up to me. 

11 hours ago, Bregir said:

I would like to see the ability to become a captial city be more doable, it's a little hard with the current numbers required.

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Same

2 hours ago, Legostone said:

How about a maximum percentage of NPC properties in settlement?

Could work as well.

1 hour ago, Mesabi said:

I would like to see the ability to become a captial city be more doable, it's a little hard with the current numbers required.

3 hours ago, Drunknok said:

I second both of these!

@Bregir

I think current auto growth up to large town then deminished auto growth after that ... Maybe add a modifyer for player driven ... I do think a capitol city should retain a higher growth rate than noncapitol though.

Just my two cents