Sign in to follow this  
BrickBob Studpants

SDCC Apocalypseburg Unikitty review

I've recently acquired the SDCC-exclusive Apocalypseburg Unikitty for a comparatively reasonable price on bricklink and decided to post a short review on here since apparently there hasn't been one up to now (search function please don't fail me now!). Usually, I just skip the SDCC exclusive minifigs as most sensible people do (one day, they'll all be MINE though). The only current exception are the movie related ones, I simply lack the force of will to resist those :grin: Luckily, they're on the "cheap" end of the SDCC exclusives most of the time... Without further ado, let's take a look at the packaging:

43565504425_58e2e1889b_z.jpg

29537130757_b2d8345400_z.jpg

43565503605_c6cb7b8307_z.jpg

As with the SDCC Unikitty from 2014, the parts are neatly sealed in a bag that for some reason doesn't contain any replacement parts (not that I'd need those, they'd be as common as angry comments in a random youtube video's comment section :grin:). Speaking of angry: I dig the artwork on the back of the packaging even though a lot of the space is taken up by the copyright and trademark info. It has to on there somewhere, I guess, or the IP owners might get really upset :devil_laugh: I think it's also quite humorous how the packaging refers to the two facial expressions as "angry" and "rage". Quite fitting though, as shall be revealed...

29537129927_49ae979f75_z.jpg

43565503155_ef15f53af8_z.jpg

29537129127_cf09f706b5_z.jpg

Those are some angry facial expressions, alright. If you thought previous versions were angry, you haven't seen these *oh2* Looks almost like me whenever of my cats "helps" me with assembling a LEGO set or whenever I open the latest newspaper :tongue: The "set" if you can call it that (technically, you can?) didn't include any instructions, but I managed to build it nonetheless, haven't felt so proud of myself in a long time </obviously obvious sarcasm>. The build was like any version of Unikitty except for the not-so-subtle arrow on the side which is attached with a bracket and a modified 1x1 plate (both in reddish brown). As was discussed in the LEGO Movie 2 thread back when the figure was first revealed, the neck is still attached the old way instead of how it's done in the Unikitty! sets. No big issue though, it's not like you would ever in a billion years let a kid play with this... which gets sadder the more I think about that. On a angrier happier note, the new spiked tail piece looks superb and is very neatly printed, can't wait to see if it gets used in similar creative fashions as the first one was.

In order to show off compare the two SDCC Unikitty versions, I also took a shot of them next to one another:

43565502845_ae6d08dae6_z.jpg

And finally, here's a picture of the whole happy angry family:

29537128817_9c89b9ae22_z.jpg

In conclusion, I really appreciate this version of Unikitty with its unique prints and the new spiked tail which will surely make at least one if not multiple appearances in the LEGO Movie 2 sets. Too bad this is an exclusive since these two expressions are really cool to have and I can't imagine the other expressions included in the set version(s) being as good as these. Let's hope I'm wrong... or get angry :damn:

Nice! Thanks for an early preview of the upcoming Unikitty for 2019. This is definitely apoc ready. 

Thanks for this review

For some reason, her face reminds me more of the TV show version of Unikitty than the original

Also, that tail would have been perfect for the Dino Unikitty from the blind bag series. 

Edited by Robert8