Shadows

"A Pirate's Life!" Contest - Discussion Thread

Since I know you've all been waiting ... the prizes have been announced, so if you missed the frontpage story, be sure to visit the prize thread and drool over what you could win, all courtesy of our fine contributors!

Do I need to say it? I will anyway... Get building, lads, time's a wastin'! :jollyroger:

WOW!!! :pir-wub:

All three prizes are indeed amazing. Any one of them would be a great addition to anyone's collection. I'd like to thank those who participated in creating this wonderful contest. Not only has it has drawn in quite a number of new MOCs, but there are simply awesome prizes too.

I am waiting on a Bricklink order to enter my 3rd MOC.

Best of luck to everyone.

My impulse and small set have been posted, I hope you like them :pir-blush:

I've just about completed my large set entry, but I have to wait for some bricklink orders.

Finally, I have completed my Impulse set entry. Went to search high and low for some pirates related figures. Hehe, I hope you guys enjoying looking at my entry. Feel free to give me your comments! :pir-blush:

Outstanding entries everyone!!! :pir-grin:

Good luck!!!

How many pieces is a regular palm tree?

I think it's 8 pieces, am I right?

Large: Build a larger set with no more than 200 pieces, 5 minifigs and 4 animals, and 4 parrots. A single 32x32 baseplate, or 2 16x32 baseplates may be used.

And if I use 2 16x16 baseplates?

Please answer me.

Edited by Nikola Bathory

How many pieces is a regular palm tree?

I think it's 8 pieces, am I right?

And if I use 2 16x16 baseplates?

Please answer me.

That depends on the palm tree. The newer style ones are a base and a green top, two pieces, the old ones are a base, 4 leaves, a green 2x2 plate, a green 1x1 brick, and however many palm pieces high you build it. Potentially, 10-16 pieces, I guess.

As for baseplates, you may use 2 16x16's in a large entry, and they would count as 2 pieces.

Did that cover it?

I want to use the palm from 6260: Shipwreck Island , without actually changing it. I thought it was 8 pieces. but U say that it's 8 +5 (the height of the stem, right)?

Just finished my entry for the small class, 93 pieces, just 1 lurp, 1 parrot, 3 minifigs, and then I find out you can only use a baseplate up to 16x16, and I used 24x16 :pir-cry_sad: *eye correction methods in the pirate-age where not very good obviously*

Is this still able to enter in the large class, with only 93 pieces, or is the minimum large class 100 pieces? (or maybe I am pirate enough to sneak this into the small class entries :devil::pir-tongue: )

I want to use the palm from 6260: Shipwreck Island , without actually changing it. I thought it was 8 pieces. but U say that it's 8 +5 (the height of the stem, right)?

Correct. It doesn't come assembled, that's the old style palm. I'd try to dig up one of the newer type if you need the piece count. If this had come up early in the contest, I may have made a rule adjustment, but it's too late for it to be fair now.

Just finished my entry for the small class, 93 pieces, just 1 lurp, 1 parrot, 3 minifigs, and then I find out you can only use a baseplate up to 16x16, and I used 24x16 :pir-cry_sad: *eye correction methods in the pirate-age where not very good obviously*

Is this still able to enter in the large class, with only 93 pieces, or is the minimum large class 100 pieces? (or maybe I am pirate enough to sneak this into the small class entries :devil::pir-tongue: )

There is no minimum count, so that can be your large entry. If it is, I'd bulk it up some, you've got 107 pieces to work with. :pir-grin:

There is no minimum count, so that can be your large entry. If it is, I'd bulk it up some, you've got 107 pieces to work with. :pir-grin:

Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll bulk it up, although I don't want to go overboard on cramming in a lot pieces, don't want it to be too full. I mainly try to go for the look of a set LEGO could produce , even though this is probably the least important rule/guideline, and trying to give it a classic pirate feel :pir-classic: (yellow sand, and no "new" pieces (like the 2/3 slope) for example). But I've allready thrown in a shark for extra playability now.

Btw. thanks for hosting this great contest (can't believe I didn't allready), and thanks to everyone else that makes it possible. Hopefully there will be more in the future.

Edited by Fluyt

Impulse: Build an impulse set with no more than 25 pieces, 1 minifig and 1 animal, and 1 parrot. No baseplates, no burps/lurps or large ship hulls. All other rules apply.

I want to use one minifig, plus just a torso and a hat from another minifig as accessories, is that allowed?

I want to use one minifig, plus just a torso and a hat from another minifig as accessories, is that allowed?

Hat, yes. Torso, no. Good luck making it work! :pir-grin:

Don't forget, the contest is officially slated to end on the 12th, that's 5 days away!

Just when will the "oh please Mr. Shadows, can we have a few more days?" begging begin? Might as well get in line now. :pir-devil:

I have a quick question as well. If I were to include one whole minifigure in the impulse set and no left overs, only replacing the standard legs with brick-built legs to sort of "represent a new mold" akin to the then new pegleg that was released with the original pirates product line, would that be accepted as genuinely legitimate? Thanks.

I should be getting a impulse and small class entry in just before the deadline. The deadline is May 12th right?

Thanks for hosting this great contest Imperialshadows!

Edited by Erdbeereis1

I have a quick question as well. If I were to include one whole minifigure in the impulse set and no left overs, only replacing the standard legs with brick-built legs to sort of "represent a new mold" akin to the then new pegleg that was released with the original pirates product line, would that be accepted as genuinely legitimate? Thanks.

Perfectly so. You could even use those legs for something else (but wouldn't be required to). Oh the horror! :pir-sceptic:

Oh, and while you're at it, count the parts that make up the replacement legs as 1 part. We'll consider it a new mold since you're presenting it that way.

Erdbeereis1: Hurry, hurry! :jollyroger:

... and you're most welcome. :pir-classic:

Perfectly so. You could even use those legs for something else (but wouldn't be required to). Oh the horror! :pir-sceptic:

Oh, and while you're at it, count the parts that make up the replacement legs as 1 part. We'll consider it a new mold since you're presenting it that way.

Erdbeereis1: Hurry, hurry! :jollyroger:

... and you're most welcome. :pir-classic:

The deadline is the 12th right?

There are very good ideas presented on the contest! :pir-sweet:

It's a pity I had too much work this month and so few ideas for this contest... :pir-grin:

By the way, when could we vote? :pir_yoda:

Hat, yes. Torso, no. Good luck making it work! :pir-grin:

Waitaminute! Then my impulse set I submitted won't work! D'oh!

Hope I can get it corrected in time.

Got my large class entry up (well, only barely "large")

Luckily I got it done in time :pir-classic:

To toot my own horn, my favourite piece use in my small Mermaid entry is the witch's skirt used as curtains in the boat. Her face also made a good pirate head. My very black ship didn't photograph too well unfortunately. I didn't have any piratey weapons so I stuck with a a key, a lantern and a hooked hand. :pir-classic:

Dukeschune - I like your black and yellow colour scheme on the boat!

Jamtf - Nice set of accessories for your impulse set. The telecope is great!

Dufrense - I like the character of the drowned sea captain! The lighthouse is fun too.

Phred - Your cotton pickin' impulse set is quite unique. I can't think of an official Lego set that makes such a statement. The submersible is also original and is good fun. Nice work!

*checks his calendar*

My, the 12th is approaching quickly, isn't it lads? :pir-grin:

Get building! :jollyroger:

I'm done with my impulse entry. I should be getting it posted tomorrow. :thumbup:

And my small entry will have to wait until Saturday before I have time to post it. It's finished though.

I may still make a large entry but I might not get around to making one.

Following IS's orders

C'mon ppl get building! :pir_mad:

Thar be fine prizes to add to yer treasure of bricks! :thumbup:

Aaaar! :pir-laugh:

There are some great entries so far for this contest. :pir-sweet:

If lego made any of these entries, i'd buy them for sure. :pir-wub:

Dreamweb: Now that's innovative for an impulse set, i like it!

Hey everyone!

I am new here so I am not sure if this question has an 'understood' answer.... I am working on an entry for the contest and I was wondering if the large swivel piece counts as one piece or two pieces towards the model total. (They are the 4 stud x 4 stud bottom ones that a cannon mount fits really well on.)

Thanks for your patience!

-Thomas

I am new here so I am not sure if this question has an 'understood' answer.... I am working on an entry for the contest and I was wondering if the large swivel piece counts as one piece or two pieces towards the model total. (They are the 4 stud x 4 stud bottom ones that a cannon mount fits really well on.)

All pre-assembled parts count as one piece, so turntables count as one piece. Other examples include horses, cannons and 1x2 hinge bricks. Although they can be dismantled, they come as one piece, so count as one.