Shadows

"A Pirate's Life!" Contest - Discussion Thread

Just wanted to commend the entries so far, they're looking good (doesn't mean that you aren't breaking a rule somewhere, I'm not looking that closely yet :pir-tongue:).

Keep up the good work, lads! :jollyroger:

Large and last entry submitted. :thumbup:

Skipper,

I like your entry. :pir-classic:

But i've gotta know, where on earth did you get those "leaves" on top of your trees.

I've never seen those before. :pir-oh3:

P

But i've gotta know, where on earth did you get those "leaves" on top of your trees.

The only place I've seen them was in the MacDonalds franchise thing, where you got a rubbishy blocky monster with your Happy Meal; it was on top of Dizzy's head.

@Phred: I love your entry, and how it says Help at the bottom of your post :pir-tongue:

And my first two entries are in...

Edited by SlyOwl

Nice ship, mr. SlyOwl! The figure-head is really funny :pir-classic: and the collapse system is quite clever... :pir-wink:

But I'm afraid I've have noticed a serious error in your pics: the two pirate flags are on the wrong side :pir-oh3::pir-tongue:

Well, my entry into the impulse is in. I've always loved the Islanders, most of my pirate sets were Islander ones, so I'd love to see an impulse set like this one.

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

I've added my impulse entry! It's part of my theme "The skellie pirates!" :pir-skull:

Everyone's entries are lokking good so Yo hoho and a bottle of rum to you all! arrr :pir-classic:

But I'm afraid I've have noticed a serious error in your pics: the two pirate flags are on the wrong side :pir-oh3::pir-tongue:

I know, they shouldn't be facing into the wind. But I've always thought that they look funny like that. It also allowed me to get a slightly smaller box around the whole ship :pir-wink:

Important Question:

Impulse Category ~ only one animal. Does that refer to sharks, crocs, monkeys, etc. (all offical animals)?

Because I have three chickens for an impulse entry, but they are brick built: is that OK? :pir-devil:

Important Question:

Impulse Category ~ only one animal. Does that refer to sharks, crocs, monkeys, etc. (all offical animals)?

Because I have three chickens for an impulse entry, but they are brick built: is that OK? :pir-devil:

That's official animals. Brick built chickens are certainly ok. Penguins too, though that would take some explaining.

I uploaded my Impulse entry called "The Merchant" yesterday. It is quite simple but I like it that way.

With reference to the rules:

Impulse: Build an impulse set with no more than 25 pieces, 1 minifig and 1 animal, and 1 parrot. No baseplates, no burps/lurps or large ship hulls. All other rules apply.

25 pieces, 1 minifig and 1 animal and 1 parrot. That means that 23 pieces including a rat + a parrot (= 1 animal and 1 parrot) are allowed right? If not, forget the rat, the little rascal was not invited to show up :pir-grin: anyway.

I'm going to post my entries, but I need an info: How do you consider this? Is it one piece (I think TLC count it as 1 in their sets), or 4?

I need to know that because if it is 1 piece, then my entry is M size, if it counts as 4, the entry is L.

LuxorV

I'm going to post my entries, but I need an info: How do you consider this? Is it one piece (I think TLC count it as 1 in their sets), or 4?

I need to know that because if it is 1 piece, then my entry is M size, if it counts as 4, the entry is L.

AAAAAHHHH!!!! :jollyroger:

Ok, I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I'll say it with a bit more emphasis this time.

If it's on a sprue, it's one piece! 4 flowers, 4 coins, 2 harpoons, islander horns, WHATEVER.

Now. :pir-oh3:

Sorry you had to be the one to take that... :pir-grin:

Oh, and thanks for entering! :pir-wink:

AAAAAHHHH!!!! :jollyroger:

Ok, I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I'll say it with a bit more emphasis this time.

If it's on a sprue, it's one piece! 4 flowers, 4 coins, 2 harpoons, islander horns, WHATEVER.

Now. :pir-oh3:

Sorry you had to be the one to take that... :pir-grin:

Oh, and thanks for entering! :pir-wink:

I think I had it coming. I really should read the rules better :pir-sceptic: .

Thanks.

LuxorV

Hello everyone!

Is it also allowed to post an image of a set which has been made by using MLCAD?

best regards

Wellington

Edited by Wellington

Hello everyone!

Is it also allowed to post an image of a MOC which was made by using MLCAD?

best regards

Wellington

That would be a digital entry and is allowed. It should be posted the same way as any other entry, except, if possible, pm me a link to the ldraw file itself.

Thanks for participating and welcome to EB!

That's official animals. Brick built chickens are certainly ok. Penguins too, though that would take some explaining.

Thanks! :pir-blush:

..............Penguins, huh? :pir-skull:

Oh, and I was able to get my first two entries up. Now I've only got the impulse category ~ why, that won't take long! :pir-devil:

Edited by SirNadroj

I got my impulse and large entries posted last night, now I just have to think up something to do for my small entry.

Also, I was very happy with my minifig telescope in Fog Rock, but them jamtf puts up the same design earlier in the day! Curses! (I know, I know, it's not that complicated, but I swear I came up with it myself.)

Now I've made an entry as well.. it's an impulse set but I think i will come up with a large and a small entry as well.. when i figure out what they will be.

Good contest. And many very fine and creative entries.

We seem to have reached a bit of a lull in the action here, no posts or entries since the 16th. :pir_bawling:

Still, we're doing very well. I'm quite pleased with the results so far, but there's plenty of time left!

You know, we're getting very close to announcing the actual LEGO Pirate prizes you are competing for, and I'm just going to say this once... they're very impressive. VERY impressive. VERY IMPRESSIVE. So I said it three times, there's three prizes, and you know what? They're VERY IMPRESSIVE! Seriously, I wouldn't kid you here. :pir-grin:

So... for those of you have entered, be sure to tweak your work until it's everything you hope for, and the rest of you should get building while you still have a crack at those, dare I say it, VERY IMPRESSIVE prizes! :pir-wink:

That was subtle, wasn't it?

Get building! There are Pirates out there who need secret hideouts and Imperials who need things to guard, and treasure to be found and hidden again, ships to be plundered, ports to be raided, Islanders who just want to be loved. Erm. That might be a different contest entirely. But it isn't! It's this one too! We need your view of A Pirate's Life! so get with it!

Thanks!

i am done two of my entrys but am waiting on some BL orders for the third. let me tell you, it was my idea to be historically accurate first. Does that give away any hints? :pir-wink:

Fat Tony - abosolutely stunning box art :pir-wub: The sets are good too, although it seems you too the TLC approach just too far :pir-laugh:

I've finshed my medium-sized set, I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow.

Since I know you've all been waiting ... the prizes have been announced, so if you missed the frontpage story, be sure to visit the prize thread and drool over what you could win, all courtesy of our fine contributors!

Do I need to say it? I will anyway... Get building, lads, time's a wastin'! :jollyroger:

Well, I posted my entry in, and hope I win!

(That rhymes)

Good luck to all others....... :jollyroger: